Conversion: Adepta Sororitas Heroine

Veht

http://www.thecatharsis.com/bc/tiny.gif

I am working on my 1500 Sisters of Battle list at the moment, thought I would post some images of my Heroine. I finished her a few days ago. I've set her aside to start painting on basic troops first.

And yes, before anyone mentions it, her cloak is completely fire resistant. :ph34r: :lol:

http://thecatharsis.com/bc/heroine01.jpg

http://thecatharsis.com/bc/heroine02.jpg

http://thecatharsis.com/bc/heroine03.jpg

http://thecatharsis.com/bc/heroine04.jpg

Very nice mate, I like what you have done :ph34r: . Where did the cloak come from? I am guessing the jump pack is Spryer wings from Necromunda?

One little thing I might point out, is that you have the purity seal on the sword flowing left, and the cloak flowing right. Just a little thing, but it strikes as inconsistent motion wise. Don't worry about it, its just me being retentive... :lol:

RoV

H i Rov,

Yes that is the wings from the Spryer. The cloak is the archived Vamp Counts. For the purity seals, she is swinging her sword in a down motion, as if she is about to chop it though someone. I toyed with the idea of it going in the other direction but I thought that would be wasting a perfectly good opportunity to show off an extra seal on the front of her :lol:

Oh and, I'm a gal not a mate :ph34r: Thanks for the comments!

Good point. The sword is moving that way, and the purity seals will help give that motion in that direction. I didn't see it that way but it does make sense.

Sorry about the 'mate' bit, but I am Australian, we call everyone 'mate', it's sort of generic... :ph34r:

RoV

Sorry about the 'mate' bit, but I am Australian, we call everyone 'mate', it's sort of generic... :ph34r:

:ot: Ah, Australia you say, then by all means my friend, I'm a mate :lol:

we call everyone 'mate', it's sort of generic
Except us kiwis. You have other words for us.

I have to disagree with the purity seals. The pose of the model does not suggest 'downward swinging motion'. It suggests 'Hey look at my shiny sword.' I base that on the angle of her head, why is she looking at the tip of her sword if she is aiming at someone to chop through?

Nice model, I noticed the seal when Rat pointed it out, but I figured the motion bit. The hand on the sword looks a mite big, is it from a space marine model? And as an aside, I'm glad to see a girl in this hobby, now I know it's not just a guy thing.

@Gyson_Vore: Actually, that is the hand the figure had default. I chopped the sword off though and gave her the eviscerator. I noticed Sisters have some rather large hands. :ph34r:

@juckto: Probably the same reason all those Space Marines are pointing and yelling :lol:

But seriously, if I was lifting a heavy sword such as that one, I would lift it in a swinging motion to get it into that point, as if I were going to chop someone with it, instead of lifting it straight up from the bottom to top. Before I decided which way to face it, I tested the idea with my own hands. I put it in the "girl lifting something heavy" swing, and less in the "I'm very strong and can lift anything" way. Technically, I'm sure she can lift whatever she pleases, seeing as how she has power armor, but to a female, we don't naturally lift things like that. Plus, from a painting perspective, I thought it was a waste to have a purity seal on the back instead of the front.

The model's put together well, though I agree the posing seems a little off...

Not a lot, mind you, there's always leeway in fielding display pieces in tabletop combat.

we call everyone 'mate', it's sort of generic
Except us kiwis. You have other words for us.

Everyone has other words for you kiwis. :ph34r: In any case, I thought the Australians called women 'Sheilas'?

I never really noticed the sword until it was mentioned, and even then I don't see it as distracting or anything like that. Overall, I think it's a very nice pose. Heretics should cower in fear! If I had to pick at something though, I think where her legs meet the base could use a little work. The base looks very nice, don't get me wrong. The whole "standing tall on a pile of rubble" thing is really cool, but the top parts of the rubble seem a little small for her feet. Seems like she could tip over while swinging that massive sword around! :ph34r:

If you bulked out the rubble a little, I think it would look ace. Now let's see her painted! :lol:

I I agree with you there, the base is very thin where she stands. Arioc had that plastic pile of rocks in his extra bits box and threw it my way so it sort of came that way. I wanted to jazz up the base itself a bit, I'll see what I can do to make it look like it can support her weight better. Perhaps I can add some more "junk" under her or green stuff some rocks. If all else fails, she is wearing a jump pack to keep her from falling on her head :ph34r:

Thank you for the C&C, Chaplain Odin.

Quite a nice conversion but I don't know about those yeld wings. They seem somehow out of place. My suggestion as a possible replacement would be the wings off eldar swooping hawks but then again those might be a little small for your purposes. The rest of the model however is a nice, interesting, yet wonderfully simple conversion.

-Your Randomly Numbered Psychotic Friend

I 've seen those wings you describe (on just about every conversion that has wings :ph34r: )... I'm not a fan in the least. They are much too bird like and they don't match the army, in my opinion. These wings remind me of the standard Sisters jump packs and they look like my army logo (seen at the top of my post). Very fluffy.

very fluffy indeed.

i actually like the wings and the cloak effect. Tho i am partly in agreement with the others on the pose, just particularily for the positioning of the head.

I'm not knocking it tho because its a very good conversion, and usually the simplest ones, or the subtle ones. are the best as they seem to automatically stand out and make for more interesting subject matter.

++Trask++

@Gyson_Vore: Actually, that is the hand the figure had default. I chopped the sword off though and gave her the eviscerator. I noticed Sisters have some rather large hands. :lol:

@juckto: Probably the same reason all those Space Marines are pointing and yelling ;)

But seriously, if I was lifting a heavy sword such as that one, I would lift it in a swinging motion to get it into that point, as if I were going to chop someone with it, instead of lifting it straight up from the bottom to top. Before I decided which way to face it, I tested the idea with my own hands. I put it in the "girl lifting something heavy" swing, and less in the "I'm very strong and can lift anything" way. Technically, I'm sure she can lift whatever she pleases, seeing as how she has power armor, but to a female, we don't naturally lift things like that. Plus, from a painting perspective, I thought it was a waste to have a purity seal on the back instead of the front.

nice model, like the cloak

but :ot:

is there a way to set that text to deafult? and you missed the quoted post's lil image, hah:p

i actually like the wings and the cloak effect. Tho i am partly in agreement with the others on the pose, just particularily for the positioning of the head.

I agree there that, in a time of battle, she wouldn't be looking to the sky if she was in the middle of fighting... But it's sort of the same reason all of those Space Marines are pointing one way, yelling, and looking in a different direction. Makes for a more "dramatic" look I guess.

Also, since she's metal, her body was unchanged, so in the un-modified version of her, she's looking up into the air at a sword. Even if I was unhappy with the pose, without some expensive tools and a whole heck of a lot of work, her head isn't moving :lol:

Here is the link to the original:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/st...00402&orignav=9

is there a way to set that text to deafult? and you missed the quoted post's lil image, hah:p

I don't believe so. If there is, they don't have it turned on. What I do is, I have a style written out and I save it inside My Controls on "Your personal note pad" and then I copy and paste it every time I post. Takes a second longer but I'm always up for making things look pretty ;)

Thank you for the continued C&C fellas!

I don't believe so. If there is, they don't have it turned on. What I do is, I have a style written out and I save it inside My Controls on "Your personal note pad" and then I copy and paste it every time I post. Takes a second longer but I'm always up for making things look pretty :P

Well to be honest now that i have thought about it , changing the direction of the seal is a bit easier than hackin off the head.

a few snips with a pair of clippers, some moderate filing and a bit of GS work (not an awful lot either)

Just get a small amont of GS and mix it up and gnetly flatten it into shape and place it on the other side of the actual seal and voi-ole (lol) you have a change of direction.

of course this is just a suggestion :blink:

but keep it up adept!

++Trask++

I agree there that, in a time of battle, she wouldn't be looking to the sky if she was in the middle of fighting... But it's sort of the same reason all of those Space Marines are pointing one way, yelling, and looking in a different direction. Makes for a more "dramatic" look I guess.

Also, since she's metal, her body was unchanged, so in the un-modified version of her, she's looking up into the air at a sword. Even if I was unhappy with the pose, without some expensive tools and a whole heck of a lot of work, her head isn't moving :blink:

Here is the link to the original:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/st...00402&orignav=9

To be fair, the "Look at my sword" pose is pretty cool, it's just not what you expect when the sword's on its downward swing. A Space Marine who's pointing in one direction and shouting in another is obviously yelling "They're over there, you numbskulls!" at the rest of his squad, so it still looks appropriate as a battle pose. It's a minor point, though: The major criticism I would have is that the cloak especially makes the back of the model look a little overdone, in my opinion. There just seems to be too much going on there.
I don't believe so. If there is, they don't have it turned on. What I do is, I have a style written out and I save it inside My Controls on "Your personal note pad" and then I copy and paste it every time I post. Takes a second longer but I'm always up for making things look pretty :P

No offence, but the small font size and colour does make your posts harder to read, especially when you've got the screen resolution turned all the way up.

I'll jump on the band wagon too and say that purity seal should be cut off and turned the other way, the way her arm is positioned and her hand is holding the sword read as though she is moving it upward, if she were to swing like that it seems like it would be akward. Other than that, good work!

@ Gyson_Vore: I believe those wings look like bird wings. She doesn't have "wings" she has a fancy jump pack rather. Plus, as I mentioned, her wings look like my army logo, very fluffy.

@ PurpleHarold: Correct, it is from Saint Celestine

@ Captain Hat: I apologize but my resolution is 1792x1344 and I have no trouble reading the text. Perhaps your brightness is turned down or up? Are you on a flat screen or a CTR? perhaps you have your font set to "smaller?"

@ All other comments: I appreciate your view points on the seal but I'm going to have to disagree on the direction it needs to go. Here's why...

She is carrying a two handed weapon and holding it with only one hand. This has to be pretty darn heavy. Sisters have strength 3, just as normal humans. So, there's little chance she could just be holding it up in the air and not moving it. That means, the sword needs to be in motion, at least somewhat.

Now that we've discussed that it is moving, we need to show which direction it would be moving. You all are in the belief that the sword would be lifted from the floor to the air at her side. If she was a male, you'd be right. Men lift straight up. But women do not. How do I know? I just happen to be a girl, and I just happen to have tested this myself. If something was that heavy, girls would not be lifting it straight into the air. Rather, they get it going into a circle, swing motion, going from their outer thigh, across their chest and the across their face. Making it so the purity seals would be flapping in the direction that I have on mine.

Women's anatomy is not the same as men's. Men are made for lifting, women are made to carry. Watch any flag team at a high school and see how those small girls get those flags up in the air, it's in the same direction I described, the circle pattern.

Now, for the 40k factor. Yes, they're wearing power armor so they are not just your average girl, however, they lived their 0-18 year old something years outside of that armor. They would lift things they way they had their whole life as if they didn't have the armor.

And to put the nail in the coffin on this argument, the figure it came from is the Sisters of Battle Canoness from GW. The sword is supposed to be on the left hand (I chopped it off at the sword base to switch it to the right). Since it is on the other side of her, I flipped the sword. When it is in its original position, its purity seals are just like they are on my figure, as if the sword was swinging in a down position, further more, the figure is off looking into a different direction. You can see the sword on the sprue here:

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefr...08056&orignav=9

So, the downward swing look was modeled by GW themselves. And the "looking off into the sky/nowhere" look also came from them. If you've got a beef with the purity seals, give GW a call, I only modeled her after the original sprue.

Boy that was long and pointless. <_< Sorry boys but I have to defend my Sister.

Archived