Pre-Heresy/Heresy Era Night Lords

Doghouse

Cheers guys!

StormDragon: I think that it may be the camera I'm using, it hates white for some reason. It's not so bad in person.

Update time...

Well, I'm ploughing ahead with the first three members of the tactical squad now. Most members of the unit will be wearing MkVI plate armour (as it's my favourite) with maybe some MkIV and MkV thrown in.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/Picture031-1.jpg

As before with the Captain these guys are scaled to be seven feet tall when compared to a guardsman. I've made the basic armature and will now begin adding the armour.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/Picture032-1.jpg

I now know that the Night Lords were dispatched to the planet Tsagualsa on eastern fringe by the Warmaster to launch a genocidal campaign against the Imperial strongholds of Heroldar and Thramas. I'm putting together a short piece to explain their presence their and a Word Bearer fits in nicely with the story. The idea is that the Warmaster has sent him as an emissary to ensure that the Night Lords stick to the plan and protect the flank of the spearhead heading for Terra.

For now here is the basic armature I'm working on for the Word Bearer Terminator. It's really basic at the moment but I want to capture the feel of a much heavier suit than the regular plate armour.

He'll be in the red armour rather than grey as it's quite late into the Heresy at this point.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/Picture030-1.jpg

DROOL FACTOR RISING!!!!! DAMN! sometimes i wonder what goes through your mind while your working but then I have more then enough going through my own just looking at your stuff so maybe I dont wanna know. I look forward to seeing the word bearer develope but will always be looking for more nightlords in your army. Keep the excellent work up its very Inspiring

Nicely done.. Question; where do you get good preheresy/heresy era knowledge? like if i were to say.. be planning a story set just around the time of the heresy, possibly a couple weeks or months afterwards, but while still in the mostly nonbelieving stage?

Even though I don't post each time you update this topic, I take a look at it every time you have something new to show, and I've got to say I cannot wait to see your true scale terminator, Doghouse..

Your marines are impressive, so I guess this WB will even more !!

:P TheDef' ;)

Thanks guys! :)

Nephren-ka: Cheers mate, I think I'm possessed by a greater daemon of converting that whispers crazy ideas to me. :lol:

I generally approach minis from a fluff point of view and find that it helps to create a little backstory for them.

Like in the example of the Word Bearers Terminator it went something like this:

Right, I want a terminator but it'll take too long to sculpt atleast five which limits me to a character model.

I don't want another Night Lords character as it'll take the focus away from Artibeus and Mollusos so I'll have him from another Legion. Artibeus is driven by his corrupted sense of duty and justice, also the Night Lords don't worship chaos. If I was the Warmaster I'd want someone to keep an eye on them acting as an envoy as they are protecting the right flank for the Terran invasion force.

Word Bearers were the real architechs behind the Heresy so It'd make sense to send one of them.

Hey presto, Word Bearer Terminator!

NemFX: Personally speaking I've been a fan of the Heresy since the begining so I've been fighting Heresy/Scouring era games for nearly twenty years, my first real taste of which being the awesome Adeptus Titanicus game.

The best current sources are the Index Astartes articles/books, the Black Library Horus Heresy artwork books and the superb Heresy novels.

But it really depends on the Legion you're doing, PM me with the details and I'll see what I can do to help out mate. :)

The Defiler: Thanks mate, the Word Bearer is going to be a challenge to say the least, especially the armour etched with writing.

Thanks guys!

Pulse: Thanks mate, I find that it's often the little details like that can make a model a little more interesting.

Bjorn firewolf: Here you go mate, another fix to keep you going...

Update

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/Picture037-1.jpg

More progress on the torso and I've started to define the legs a little.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/Picture035-1.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/Picture036-1.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/Picture038-1.jpg

I've been thinking about including Imperial Army models to bulk the army out for Apocolypse now and have included this shot to show the difference in size between these marines and a DKoK themed field surgeon rather than a regular GW plastic guardsman. If I do go ahead with this I want to use either the FW DKoK or FW drop troops as they suit my style of modeling more.

This is the original guard model I used to base the scale on whilst brainstorming with Philip Sibbering (the twisted genius that did the False Gods cover) who was a great help with the scale and measurements to get the original Astartes right.

Looking good Doghourse, but I must ask, is that a mouldline I see on the painted captains bolter?

Ssssshhh! Dont disrupt the man! Mould lines are fine if they belong to Doghouse, its a B&C rule! ;)

Hey Doghouse, havent had a chance to properly read this thread until today, so saved posting till now. Really emjoying seeing them progress, I must admit they certainly sum up everything Ive come to know about the Legion. Really great work as usual! Cannot wait to see a full tactical squad done out, or even a combat squad!

Yet again you have put me to shame! Curses! :pinch:

Cheers guys! :)

TheDarkApostle: Yeah, well sort of, it's kind of a dip in the plastic that I forgot about untill it was too late. I'll go back and fill it at some point.

battle captain corpus: Thanks for the compliment mate, it's greatly appreciated. Hopefully, I'll have the first tactical squad together within a couple of weeks then I can look at starting the second. I'd love to get a Raptor squad together now seeing as they were the pre-heresy/heresy elite squads as opposed to Terminators in modern armies.

Update

Right, I've got loads to get done today but I decided that I'd rather set about doing some serious sculpting and watching the UK GD rumours come in.

So I've been getting some serious work done on them today, well the first guy anyway.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/Picture043.jpg

I've now got the bulk of the torso done, although it is a little bigger than the original unfortunately, I'm chalking that one up to experience and continuing regardless.

I mis-judged the thickness of the chest and as a result the cables look different. It's only about half a mil out but has thrown the finished look off somewhat.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/Picture044.jpg

Here's WIP shot of the first combat squad with each member in different stages from just started to nearly finished. Once the first one is complete I'll be doing them in either pairs or complete combat teams.

Army list

Now that I've managed to set aside the rest of the day I've been thinking about the army list now.

As it's a themed army I'll be including a few additional selections for character purposes. For example, I've got three characters planned but will in all likely hood only ever field two at a time.

I'm going to use the new Codex: Chaos as opposed to Codex: Space Marine mainly because these guys are traitors now and I can also include a daemon prince as a stand in for Night Haunter.

HQ Choices

Chaos Lord: Captain Artibeus power weapon and combi-weapon. (completed)

Chaos Sorceror: Word Bearer Terminator (under construction)

Daemon Prince: Night Haunter (under construction)

Elites

Dreadnought: Ancient Macrotus with twin linked autocannon, dreadnought close combat weapon and heavy flamer. (completed)

Troops

Tactical Squad Mollusos: Ten marines with bolters (under construction)

Tactical Squad Barbastella: Ten Marines with bolters (not started)

Heavy Support

Chaos Land Raider: "Foe Bane" (under construction)

Defiler: Dark Mechanicus Gamma-Omega six three Support class Robot (nearly finished)

Obilterator Cult: Dark Mechanicus Magos (nearly finished)

Fast Attack

Chaos Raptors: Ten Marines with jump packs (not started)

Chaos Bikers: Three Marines on jet bikes (under construction)

Apocolypse support options

Baneblade (not released)

Reaver Titan (not released)

Imperial Army Traitors (FW DKoK or Renegades)

Not to try to make life difficult for you, but was MK6 even around during the Heresy? I thought MK5 was the very newest armor out there at the time. They're still ace, but I just thought I'd ask.

My one recommendation would be to lower the little nick guard thing on the new guy a bit; the helmet looks kinda high up on it. Maybe just cut a little groove out of the front or something? I'm not even sure that makes sense :D .

This is great stuff, all the way. Makes me wish I could sculpt, and congratulate Doghouse on the work. Also, the faces are painted great!

If anyone doesn't mind, I'd like to declare Doghouse the B&C Sculpt Ninja :D

I hope nobody minds. I haven't browsed the forum that much, but Doghouse is the best I've seen. If He would like to transfer this honour elsewhere, it's fine by me. He's the one to talk, after all

Archived