Desert Eagles wip

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

Finished the tactical squad. The librarian has got a too dark colour on his base, needs to be fixed. Have a similar squad to work on next, as well as another speeder.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/PICT3945.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/PICT3942.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/PICT3940.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/PICT3935.jpg

@Dark Sensei: Late response, i know, but i didn't want to bump the thread without an update. That's a very generous offer, but i'll stick with the sword as it is for now. But many thanks anyway, much appriciated. I like the link you posted, intresting effect. I think i might try that when something suitable gets painted.

Cheers!

Lovely Librarian conversion and that banner is simply lustworthy :blink:

The Librarian paint scheme is great too, enough to make it clear what he is but still fitting in beautifully with the rest of the squad.

Perhaps the only complaint I have, and it's so minor it's not really a complaint at all, is that the armour weathering is a bit too similar across the squad - not the patterns, merely the levels. Everyone has some scratches and dings and bumps and scrapes but no-one seems to have any serious or deep damage, it all looks like superficial scratches on the paint bar one or two gouges across helmets. Might be a nice change up to see one or two Marines with chunks chewed out of armour or something more than just abrasions.

That said, the whole army is a thing of inspiration, what's up next?

Cheers mate,

Yeah, i can see your point. I think that heavier battle damage might need to be done before painting, i think it will be difficult to paint the loss of huge chunks of armour. But yeah, i could give it a go to drill some bulletholes and such on to the next squad and then mix those minis with these already painted. Don't want to go to overboard, i'd like to keep a uniform look for the entire army.

Next up is another rhino and a squad to go with it, including a chaplain.

About that chaplain...i wonder, should i go for a classic all black scheme, or should i give him a similar scheme like the latest librarian so that they sort of match eachother? White, with black shoulderpads, and maybe a metall skull instead of a bone coloured? Any thoughts?

Yay, this is my favorite log! I actually really like the way you did up the librarian, I think it might look good on a chaplain as well. The only thing that might be tough is if the model has a skull helmet finding a way to make that stand out against the white for the armour. I don't think I've ever actually seen one of the official chaplain models painted out of the black scheme so it could be really interesting to see one in white.

I absolutly love the weathering on these, I would save any deeper gouges for vehicles personally. I like the general wear and tear fo their armour.

For the Chaplain I would stick to the white armour but with black shoulder pads and elements of the back pack in black. For the head how about something like this where the top part of the helm is black but the faceplate retains the bone colouring.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Stovie_2006/Space_Marine_Chaplain_by_Corpseshadow-1.jpg

**NOT MY PIC JUST HERE TO SHOW MY THINKING**

God I love these guys.

On the Chaplain I agree that one done in the same colours with black pads would be great, but can't help but feel that black would really make him stand out, I think in a good way, but then I suppose it depends on how important Chaplains are for the Desert Eagles as to how much they stand out from the crowd.

Either way, look forward to seeing the result ;)

Can we please please see a group shot so far Desert Eagle, I've been following your work for a while and would love to see how far you've come :P

Lol I asked about two years ago now!! I've been following your post for three years now, you are truely inspirational. congrats on the child.

Could we please see a group shot my good man??

Still the best army around, this unit is brillant. Just a few things about the banner : First, it looks great ! Its a splendid idea. But the blue part seems a bit odd (blue is very deep, far deeper than the one u used to paint for this part), sun-rays could be just a bit brighter and the top shape of the cloud is a bit too horizontal (IMHO all this, needless to say).

Thx, pleasure ! I think i might try that when something suitable gets painted Hmmm like a melta or something ? :P .

DS

I think the banner works perfectly. The colours are subdued and worn, as befitting the battle-damaged marines carrying it, the muted colours also help give it a great painterly feel that real-life battle banners would have, and as for the clouds, the tops of clouds do actually tend to be quite flat when you're looking down on them.

Thanks a million guys.

Legless: Haha, yeah, that show how epicly i suck. :) Tell you what, i am making an effort to get an army together for a friendly-style tournament come february 25th. No special characthers are allowed so i need to get another troop choice done by then. I promise to take a photo of that army. Promise. :)

Bio: The chaplain i've got has a full skull helmet, so that scheme won't work i'm afraid, otherwise it's a good one. I think i'll shoot for a white chaplain with black shoulderpads and some other details in black and silver.

For the banner. It's too much too work to re-do anything on that so it stays as it is, but any crit is welcome as i have another to do for the next squad (altough i'm not sure what i'll paint on that one).

Cheers!

Which torso do you have picked for your chappie? Im thinking if its possible you could maybe do the 'softer' armour around the waist in the black to break up the white? Im just wizzing in the wind here. Im sure whatever you come up with will look epic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Desert Eagle,

I've scanned this thread and I couldn't find where you may have mentioned it but ... back to your Land Raider ... where did the cupola come from? You used it as a tutorial for your weathering technique.

EDIT - no more late night posting

Hey, thanks guys.

@Racebannon: It's from the forge world mk2 raider kit.

@cld: Would have been fun to see them.

@demon: Thanks!

@Dirty: Sorry mate, but i fear that it's a very very slim chance of that ever hapening.

@Pheidias: lol, i used a dictionary and i'm still not sure i got what you wrote. But thanks anyway! :D

Cheers!

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/PICT3830.jpg

I hate to be a stick in the mud... But is the wind blowing too different directions on his model? The tassel on the book blows to the viewers left, while his bottom armor decorations blow to the right. Just wanted to point that out! I love this whole thread and all your models!

Archived