Desert Eagles wip

Cheers!

Actually I've just finished my exams, so in the last few days I did't manage to look neither B&C nor cmon, anyway I've filled in the gaps:)

On the dust & overall weathering I recommend to check out my favourite AFV modelling site.

On blacklineing, I've asked 'how' with purpose...for me (correct me if I'm wrong) it seems that you painted it with a brush, useing a rather standard dilution. Try it with a very thinned down paint (i mean well over 50% thinner), dip the brush & just let the paint flow into and through the recess, over an acrylic base paint synthetic based(i mean not acrylic, dunno the word) paint will be better for that. Repeat if needed. It will take a while to get the right thinner-paint ratio so at first make some test minis.The other way is useing pigments for that job-see MIG's article.

I do the blacklining more or less like this: I mix some water, ork fleshwash and brownwash. Makes for a very rich and oily black either slightly green or brown depending on mix ratio. Being a wash, i paint it in an early stage. I do not flood the mini with it and try to apply it only where i want it to show in the finished mini.

I see it as both dust, dirt and such caught in the recesses aswell as i feel white minis in particular need something with lots of contrast as there's no extreme higlights. So i guess they aren't there for realistic reasons, but i do agree with you that they need to get a bit less wide at some places, and i shall really try to keep that in mind for my next mini.

I appriciate good constructive critisism, so keep it comming.

Edit: Just read your edit, and i think that's pretty much how i do it already. Maybe not as thin, but it's still a slightly watered down wash. :drool:

I've got some problems withmy net, so my edit is in fact an integral part of the post, just didnt want to lose what I've typed before.

I'm glad you appriciate my comments.

Thanks for the correction. I've misunderstood the thecnique behind the effect. You think right: it is quite similar to what I've mentioned. I think paint-thinner ratio will be the key, try synthetic paints (humbrol maybe) in my experience they re better for washes.

You are right about that white screams for contrast. However we have a different approach, and that' good.

I used to do AFV modelling, so I'm into realistic finish, dirt, mud and a weathered overall finish. IMO the way you've choosen to achieve the contrast gets the finish of your minis qute close to that, at least they look so as if they were weathered.

On the other hand you use the tipical wargaming/fig painting techniques with a really good sense. I've seen many figs that went simply too far (for me) with highlighting/optical illusion stuff (the 'eavy metal way It is a great thing, but that too needs common sense to achieve stg that looks more than painted plastic). The finished look of your minis I've seen so far is somewhere in the golden middle path of the two-thats why they look cool.

Thats just exactly what i'll also try to achieve when Ill get to paint my army, but IMHO anyting that looks like weathering should try to get as close to realistic as possible.

Cheers & happy painting!

I don't exactly know what kind of paints you're talking about, but i'll keep an eye out for that line and pick upp a bottle or two when i get the chance and try them out. Right now, i mainly use decade old gw-paints combined with some new gw-paints and some from the vallejo line. But they're ofcoarse all acrylics. I did pick up the new foundation set aswell, but i may be one of the few whom actually think that they pretty much suck. Completly dull and lifeless paints, good only for first covering coats (as suggested by the name of the line) at best. I my opinion, it's very easy to get lumps in the paint while using the foundation paints, so i expect they'll last me a very long time, being used very scarsly, unless they dry up the way the newer gw-paints does. Oh well, enough of a sidetrack. I thank you for the comments and am very flattered you like my minis.

I also have an update. My attackbike is now ready for priming and painting. Overall, i'm quite satisfied with how it turned out. Added a few bits, changed riders, and filled some gaps with gs. Also made the base bigger using plasticard and gs so it would be as long as the extended biker bases. There where a lot more work required than i wished for with that base, and it still leaves some to be desired. I do belive the side where the gap where will look fairly good when it gets some paint on it, i hope so. Otherwise i may have to smooth it down a bit more later on. Anyway, here it is. C&c appriciated.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip4049.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip4047.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip4036.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip4034.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip4031.jpg

Cheers!

I've found the word: enamel. Humbrol sells it's paints in 14ml cans, they have quite a wide range of colours. Tamiya also has its own enamel range, and than there is the good old Testors. Testors paints have the finest pigments of these three. See a modelling hobby store. I hope that helped.

On the bike: it looks good. The shoulder pad turned out great, the GS-work seems quite smoth, I'd like to see a close up of it. I like the gunner's pose, it definitely has a 'searching for targets' feeling. The templar head was a good choice too. The MM's power cables look ok - as there is no front view:) - but some quitar strings could have been useful.

PS:Have you seen this (step 9)? In case the link doesnt work: the article is from the us gw site, pinanha masterclass.

(For mods-I don't support xenos in any forms. They all shall perish & burn eternally for the glory of PA armies. Link is there for painting techs)

@Ajo79: Yes, the more the merrier! :tu:

@Master Toddius: Yeah, i guess it wasn't much of an update. :huh: But thanks for the support, i really appriciate it brother!

@Sati: Ok, yeah, then i follow you. As i said, i'll keep an eye open for them. I know a few stores in my town that possible carry that sort of paint, so i'll try them out someday. As for the melta, i've just used the one that comes with the attackbike and attached a stormshield from the assultspues to it aswell as a targeter. Sure, a few more cables could be attached, but i figured the original cables would be sufficient. Anyway, here is a close-up of the shoulderpad for you.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/shoulderpad.jpg

Hey congratulations on some really stunning bikes! Excellent use of parts, each biker really is like his own man - each shows his own personality.

I am currently putting together a ravenwing squad with attack bike, and have also opted for the base style you have, so much nicer. I tried cutting a dread sarcophagus lid in half vertically and adding each half to the attack bike multimelta, bit too blocky, your shield looks better.

I quess in praising your skills (painting too), I am wondering - how do you create so much individuality on each figure and yet have them remain similar enough to show that they are still part of the same squad? Was this planned? or does the painting help unify them too? i was thinking it might just be similar bits, like wings, repeated but in different positions and sizes etc.

Anyway, well done on a unique squad/army and I'm sure when completed they will be tearing up some enemies of the imperium no end!

@ cod_lover: Thanks for the kind words mate. As for awnsering your question, it's a bit tricksy. First of all i'd say post your minis here or on a similar forum for some help. I had some keen eyes help me get rid of parts that looked cool but ruined the uniformity of the squad. So bits with the same feel, shape and belonging to the same cultural heritage is a good way to go. Also, having some detail repeated troughout the whole squad is a good bet. I have those little wings down at the feet of the marine repeated on all of the members of this squad. And hopefully the painting will make them go togheter later on. Hope that was of some help.

@ KYR GKIKAS: Thanks mate. Cheers! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the close up. Respect, your GS is really smooth & flowless! What do u use to lubricate your sculpting tools?

I've mentioned the strings, because so far i could'nt menage to find a way to peel the mold lines sufficiently from parts like cabels...to tell the truth i've never bothered to try to clean up thin round plastic parts like handrails, not to mention cabels-bress wire/stringsdo the job better for me.

Keep updateing! Cheers!

Sati

Thanks mate. Only use water, lots of it. And i can only agree that it's a bitch sometimes to get rid of moldlines on cables and similar details like the coil(?) on plasmaweapons and the bottom of ammoclips.

As for updating...to tell the truth, i havn't had any spare time over to work on my minis... save for ripping apart my apotechary (relised he wasn't rules legal) and blue-tacked together a vet.serg (whom from a fluffperspective will act as my equalent to an emperors champion). The upside is that i now only have to pick a minor disadvantage again. I'm 100% certain that i'll pick have pride in your colours for that one. Been thinking some about that and figure i somehow want to represent the drawback on my minis. The way i see it, a "standard bearer" within each squad would probobly look cool. They'll have no effect on the game, ofcorse, but i belive that will be a good way to represent the drawback aswell as offering some nice moddeling oppertunities. Or what do you guys think?

Hopefully i can get some time over soon to get some paint on my bikers.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

hmmm...it's been a while since i last updated this thread. Been rather busy with work and, well, life in general. So i havn't actually done as much painting and converting as i would have liked to. But anyway, i got a rather extensive update here. Lot's of the following minis are just "blue-taced" togheter without proper cleaning, as you all can see, while others are just about ready to get painted.

First of all, since this is a diy-chapther, i figured that my selected drawback should be just as noticable and important as the trait advantage. And the desert eagles go to war proudly displaying their heraldry, charging forth with banners held high prepared to die for their colours. As such, representing the "have pride in your colours" drawback, every squad will have a standardbearer. The standard ofcoarse have no effect gamewise other than to represent said drawback. ( i will make one for the razorbacksquad later when i'm eventually finished with this batch of minis....probobly somwhere around late 2008 or something like that :rolleyes: )

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip6004.jpghttp://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip6005.jpg

Next up, had to remake my sergeant as i realized i couldn't use apocatherys riding on bikes. This guy will be leading my elites. The vet.serg. is done save for that missing banner.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip6007.jpghttp://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip6006.jpg

Also, i felt that the captain was getting boring compared to the other minis, so i exchanged him for a chaplin (same bike). Perhaps not as versatile choice gamewise, he won't be as usefull to all opponents that i play against, but a bit more fun both to paint and play.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip6021.jpg

For my troopchoice i will field this somewhat overtooled squad: vet.sergeant with fist, 2 plasmaguns, 1 biker and h.bolter attackbike led by a techmarine.http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip6027.jpg

The techmarine is there to prevent overheating. Well, atleast one of the mandatory rolled 1's per shootingphase. But mostly because i really enjoy working on this mini. I was playing around with a full servoharness, wich is a bargain pointswise, but it didn't look any good...so he will only have the ordinary gear with the servoarm fitted to the bike. I will sculpt a robe on the side missing one now aswell as replacing the greave for the other leg. Not sure what to do with those saddlebags. I like ém for the bulk, and it seems propper the techmarine would have some extra gear and parts with him. I'll probobly rather make the back section wider than to cut of the top exhaust for a bit snugger fit.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip6009.jpghttp://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip6010.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip6011.jpg

Am running low on plasmaguns, but i have lots of plasmapistols and a few ork sluggas in my bitsbox. I personally kind of like how they went togheter, and sure is big enough to represent plasmaguns, but would really like some to hear anybodys toughts about them. This one just need some gs to fill in the gaps.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip6013.jpg

Finaly, the attackbike.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip6022.jpghttp://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip6023.jpg

C&C welcomed.

Good to see the Eagles back. :rolleyes:

Nice updates, and the Mk. Slugga plasma gun looks very good to me - rather crude and clunky, but I like that in a plasma gun, it reminds me a bit of the unwieldy Ork plasma/melta guns from 2nd edition (who look good on my Plaguemarines).

Did you manage to get some pots of Elven Grey? I'm quite curious for a review on Coat d'Arms paints as I'm thinking about getting some myself (I'm running low on Vomit Brown, Jade Green, and old school Dark Angels Green).

Psythu: Cheers mate, glad you like 'em. :teehee:

Squiggoth: Yeah, i'm back! Hopefully i have some spare time to work more frequently on my army now.

Good to hear you think the plasmagun works. And since the plasma has been so unreliable in all games i've played so far, done just as much damage to myself as to my opponent, any orky parts can't screw with the spirit of the gun anyway, right?

About that elven grey...i actually havn't ordered any yet. Well, i was about to the other day, but since they didn't accept visa, and the pay pal account screwed with me (anybody know what the proper format for home telephone should be 'cause i've tried just about any combination there is :rolleyes: ), so i couldn't right then. But i sure will get my hands on some elven grey, you're a lifesaver!

Living proof that GS is not the only route to make your models sing individuality. Just a clever mind and a eye for details. I prefer the look of this anyways because GS takes a nightmarish long time to sculpt and this takes slightly less time and aggrevation. Plus everything ends up clean and smooth :P

You have a very keen eye for mixing and matching different bitz. The RW banners used as fenders instead is awesome. The Speeder doors for shields and utilizing the extra HB ammo hopper as a pintle mount on the attack bike is brilliant. The flow of the purity seals and the mixing of all the DA/Veteren parts is really well done also. Everything is proportioned and tight.

That plasma gun is better than the original IMHO. Its more dynamic and gothic looking. The scope will melt off over the coils but who cares. :P I seriously mean that, though--> Its an awesome conversion. I have a million plasma pistols now because of buying the SW pack with all the HtH weapons and pistols so I'm going to borrow that idea if you don't mind and call it the Eagle Pattern Plasma Gun. My only concern is the power supply. You know, the piece that looks like a door knob on the back...? It seems like it needs to be bigger, like the regular guns. Or you cold use 2 or 3 plasma pistol power packs running down the back of the gun.

I'm VERY jealous of your Techmarine on bke. I had one going years ago for my RW and now they aren't allowed anymore... I'd say all you'd really need in my mind is some more hydrolic tubes and some more scanners on the gas tank and you're golden. Maybe use the old school searchlight that looks really gothic to replace the headlight you have? Maybe play with the TL bolters a bit on him? Split the stormbolter from the rhino set? (all ideas i had back then :) ) You know; techmarines can't help but to tinker with thier equipment.

And again, all the other little refinements carried into this group is killer to say the least. :)

Good to hear you think the plasmagun works. And since the plasma has been so unreliable in all games i've played so far, done just as much damage to myself as to my opponent, any orky parts can't screw with the spirit of the gun anyway, right?

Pfff, Ork tech is much more advanced than Imperial tech and you know it. This Marine will make all his buddies green with envy when he fires that ultra-reliable supah plasma shoota of his. :)

About that elven grey...i actually havn't ordered any yet. Well, i was about to the other day, but since they didn't accept visa, and the pay pal account screwed with me (anybody know what the proper format for home telephone should be 'cause i've tried just about any combination there is :) ), so i couldn't right then.

Erm, format for home telephone? I don't know much about how foreign telephones work but here you normally enter your normal number, but with the first number (0) replaced by a specific country's code (0031 for the Netherlands).

For instance, if I want to call my parents from here in the same town their number is 024377xxxx, but when I'm calling them from Paris, Milwaukee or Paramaribo I have to call 00312477xxxx - first zero replaced by 0031.

That might not be what you meant by 'home format' at all, off course. :P

But i sure will get my hands on some elven grey, you're a lifesaver!

"Lifesaver"?? Don't let the other Nurgle players hear that or I'll never hear the end of it. I'm supposed to spread virulent diseases and all that stuff. :P

Master Toddius:

Wow, thanks. Thats some very kind encouraging words there. I like doing oldschool converting with bitz. But if i had any skills with gs, i would probobly do that just as much aswell. Both methods have their advantages. But i think it's really fun to just sit and play around with the bitz and see how they could possibly match with eachother. I do however ruin lots of good and sometimes rather expensive bitz in the process... Anyway, i got a load of DA-stuff after buying the RW-box. I think they're awsome, but i feel i have to change them enough to pass for my chapther so they don't scream DA too much. The totem banners are really usefull bitz and fitted quite nicely as fenders. Had to sand them down to half their width and cut them to shape, but it was worth it, i'm quite pleased how they came out. Glad you liked them aswell! :)

You make good points about the powerplugs for the plasmas, i'll see what i can do about that. Oh, you know you may steal whatever you like, eaglepattern sounds cool enough. ;) Seriously, i think thats one of the greatest aspects of forums like this one, to be able to get inspiration, ideas and constructive feedback from eachother. So im more than happy to lend anybody my ideas.

I'm really suprised you can't have techmarines riding bikes with Dark Angels. Then why the hell is there so many techmarinebitz on the RW-sprues??? Well, this is an early stages, i've just begun piecing him together. Already tried the stormbolter thing from the razorback/rhino tough...with a ruined stormbolter as result :P :P . I'd be all ears to any funky ideas you or anybody else has got. But i like to keep it somewhat modest, i don't want it to get to cramped with stuff, that's why i didn't give him a full harness for example. Less is more, sort of.

Squiggoth: And here i tought the cult of nurgle was all about spreading love... :)

About the number, i works sort of the same here, and i tried all possible combinations. I'll just drop their support an e-mail later. But i where thinking of trying to convince my local store to carry the line instead. If coat d'arms is just what they claim, the exact same paint and pots that used to be gw's line of paints, then i'll never buy another pot of new gw-paint. The old ones are superior,imho, especially the pots. I have perfectly good paints that are over a decade old while never pots can be useless within meerly a few months. I mainly buy vallejo paints now, but they are a bit runny and the pigments easily separates from the binder when left unused for a while. They're better than new gw-paints but not as great as the old line. I'm really crossing my fingers coat d'arms live up to my expectations.

Hubbynz: Cheers mate!

• 3 weeks later...

Just tought i'd share a dead easy conversion with you all. I ordered commander culln from fw. An interseting mini, but in my mind there's something very akward about his pose (imho the arms don't go with his body), so i just made a very simple weapon swap keeping his beutifull stormbolter. I like how i came out. Also it's very easy to remove the scorpions.

On the downside, parts of the mini was horribly cast that ment i had to cut away a few of those tiny skulls. And on top of that, i'm pretty pissed with forge world since they sent me ultramarine shoulderpads instead of raptors. I guess thats okay, no bigge...if it wern't for them completly ignoring my mails. I've sent them two e-mails over the last two weeks and still no reply. Thats just horrible customer support...

I've also begun painting some bikers, but there's really nothing to show yet. But atleast i'm back on track painting again.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/terminators2.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/terminators1.jpg

On the downside, parts of the mini was horribly cast that ment i had to cut away a few of those tiny skulls. And on top of that, i'm pretty pissed with forge world since they sent me ultramarine shoulderpads instead of raptors. I guess thats okay, no bigge...if it wern't for them completly ignoring my mails. I've sent them two e-mails over the last two weeks and still no reply. Thats just horrible customer support...

My advise would be to phone them, they usually get it sorted straight away if you do. They're a little slow with email.

++++Edit+++++ Forgot to say damn nice work on the army so far :)

Archived