Desert Eagles wip

Cheers mates, thanks for the kind words once more.

@Muskie: I imagine that there will be really no major difference in difficulty between painting glowing lenses on light or dark base colour. Maybe it will be slightly different, you get more contrast between bright and dark on a dark scheme, but I haven’t actually tried it out on anything else yet, so I can’t really answer if I find it more difficult or not.

@Master Toddius: Hehe, welcome over to the monotome side. :) Anyway, I belive the orange (you keep calling it brown…guess the correct term for the finished version would really be yellow…since that’s what you get by mixing orange and green, a dark yellow way down on the ncs-chart, but anyway… :D) will look more suiting once they are painted to the same level as the main body. They look a little flat at the moment. The gold however just didn’t look right once it was on the mini, so I skipped that.

Thanks mate, glad you like them.

Hers a small update, havn't had much time to paint this past week. Anyway, this terminator is nearing completion. I still have to paint the stormbolter, the metallics and the base. Will probobly fix the shoulderpad with the reversed eaglebadge as i'm not quite happy with how the damage turned out on that one. Oh, and it's insanely difficult to paint gems on the forgeworld termiecrux. Damn, thats a small area to get some paint on.

But anyway, here he is...ready to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and he's all out of gum.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/terminators052.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/terminators060.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/terminators055.jpg

(Pics aren't great as it's dark outside and i havn't got any really good lightning)

C&C welcome as always.

I am so keen on these models. Every time theres a new update I have to wrestle with myself not to abandon my current project and start up a new force with a similar scheme.

Fantastic work as always Desert Eagle, please keep them coming.

Tsuro

You've officially topped yourself. That came out really really great. The weathering and highlights on the pad has made all the difference. The Storm Bolter is a nice tone with the brown. Excellent work.

Maybe one little (very minor) idea is to use a brush-on gloss varnish over the jewels on the crux. The rest can be the flat stuff you've been using. I think a minor red wash over the jewel (very subtle) to blend it a little will be a good move as well. That way its shiny and feels like a ruby.

Thats going to be a very awesome squad once its finished. You'll win a few painting competitions with them no doubt.

Great job bro. :sick:

BTW, did you use a stencil/template for the eagle shield shape?

Stunning work Desert eagle. Are you going to any of the ´cons this year? Gothcon, Lincon or Sydcon or something? Because it would be really nice to see this army irl :sick:

Bi-Mon-Sci-Fi-con? ;)

Thanks guys, your support is much appriciated and i'm very glad you all like my marines. :(

Tsuro: Well, i'd be flattered if i could inspire anybody to a similar scheme, so paint away if you ever can't resist the urge for another army. And i'll do my best to update whenever i have any progress worth showing.

Trajan: Honestly, theres about no chance att all i'll show up at those 'cons any time soon. I actually don't play more than a handfull of games per year (altough, i wish i had time to game more often) but once i get this army up to strenght i'll probobly attend the fanatic tournament up here in Umeå...but i reckon with my rate of progress it won't be anytime soon either as that is a 2k event...and thats a lot of bikers and terminators to paint. :lol:

Master Toddius: Yeah, that gloss over the gems sounds like good advice. I'll also go over them again with a very thin layer of grimson to darken them somewhat. But i tell you, anybody that can paint even just decent gems on those shoulderpads have my respect. They are just so small (and the fact that they have a round shape and not almost flat like gw-plastic gems make a huge diffrence) and the paint build up really fast making it even harder to paint them. As for the badge, no, i don't use any kind of stencil. I just painted up the shape of the shield and then painted an eaglebadge on top.

Cheers!

hail Battle-Brother. Desert Eagle that is one superb miniature. you have made something any 'eavy metal painter would be proud of. everything about the model shouts quality. the attention to detail is amazing. and that is what impressed me the most about your work. you put a great deal of thought into everything you do and you start a project and keep the momentum going until completion. all of your finished figures are of an exceptionally high standard and really show off your talent with a hobby knife and a paint brush.

over the course of your thread you have given me many great ideas which will really help me with my Deathwing and my future Ravenwing army. youre an inspirational guy and among the greats at B&C.

For the Emperor!!! For the Lion!!!

Death or Glory!!!

May the Desert Eagles have countless victories and may their losses be few!!!

Hell yes Desert Eagle, BUBLEGUM! You manage to keep churning out top quality models, time & time again. This termie is by far no exception. I like the weathering and chapter symbol. It looks nice. The caked desert base is awesome, you did a good job. I think it looks very realistic.

Kanan: Thanks mate, thats very flattering. And you inspire aswell, if i do eventually decide to go with the DA rules for my chapther i'll use your tsunami-pattern as a starting point to build my commadspeeder.

Darth Potato: Cheers mate, thats very kind of you. Was wondering if anybody would pick up on the bubblegum, but maybe Duke Nukem is a too old game for anybody to remeber those cheesy oneliners. :)

ArchAngel: Indeed, those are FW etched brass that has been cut in half. Good stuff, very usefull, you should look in to them.

thanks Desert Eagle im just glad i can give something back to the B&C community as i have learned so much from the people here over the last 12 months and its made the work i do alot better than it would have been. i hope you do make that Tsunami as your command vehicle. as i think it will look awesome in your army.

and using the DA rules is a good option as i dont think youd get a better alternative in the new 5th ed. Space Marine codex which isnt even out. youre fielding alot of fast attack and Terminators so the DA codex will help you get the most out of your army.

i wish you the best of luck with the rest of your projects.

catch you later mate.

PS the 4th ed. DA codex was created with the new 5th ed. rulebook in mind, so it will still be current after the october '08 release.

• 3 weeks later...

Well guess what Kanan, i've just recived the hb-sponsons and other cool stuff like a whole bunch of catachan heads that i've ordered from the warstore*. I'll begin constructing "Rovfågeln" (=the bird of prey) - tactical command speeder of the Desert Eagles as soon as i can. :D

Guess this won't be much of an exciting update, i really havn't had much spare time to paint and i fear i won't be able to get more than the odd hour here and there for working with my army over the next month or two. I'm completly swamped by work and such boring things... assuch, the termies havn't seen much painting. For instance, i still havn't finished the terminator already shown, but have slopped some paint on the others aswell as repositioning two of them. But here is atleast a small update none the less.

A good weekend to all of you!

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/terminators082.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/terminators092.jpg

And aren't the catachan heads cool? I belive they'll add some biker flavour to my army.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/terminators093.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/terminators100.jpg

* Oh man, only about 1 week delivery (that slipped nicely trough customs aswell so i didn't have to pay taxes). Thats awsome service, i'll be shopping from that place again for sure.

Thanks guys.

I don't know if i really envision my marines as "bikers" aesthetically, more sort of like bike mounted knights or something. But still, i thought it would be fun with some "biker" flavour in the mix as well.

The reason i ordered these heads to start with is because i find that the current sm-heads are very lacking in character. They just have very little personality and tend to look a bit boring imho. I preffer I they look more individual with different features, more like brothers than clones if you get my point. Oh, I don’t know. I just think they will look cool in my army. :P

hail Battle-Brother! any updates from you are worth looking at. i really like what youve done with the Terminators so far. im sorry to hear work is taking up so much of your time but when things calm down then of course youll be able to concentrate on the hobby you love. i am really looking forward to seeing your Command Landspeeder. it is very straight forward conversion so you wont have any trouble but check on my thread to see how much you need to trim from the Heavy Bolter sponsons. good luck with everything.

may the Emperor's Light guide you.

peace

ps with regards to the catachan plastic heads, great idea! they should suit your bikers really well. i was thinking you could convert the one with shades into night vision goggles with some GS but thats just an idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

just a quick update. As already said, real life has been keeping me really busy, but i've thrown together a quick mock up of what my "sammael" might end up like. I know it might be hard to fully visualize the finished model in such an early state. This will be a one man fighter, so i'll make a semi-closed cockpit, (and the pilot is just a stand in, i'll find a more intersting mini to replace him with as i go along) Guess the hardest part will be to add the bling once i get the hull finished as i really want him to look like a propper commander. I'm also considering enlarging the wings as they get kind of dwarfed right now by the heavy bolters. I'd love to hear any toughts on how to eventually put this guy together. Cheers!

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/sammael010.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/sammael008.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/sammy.jpg

Looks awesome. Have you seen the Sammeal conversion in the finished section? Might give you some more ideas...

Have you considered some banners maybe? Like long penents trailing the Speeder?

I feel depressed about my own skills now... >.<

Battle-Brother Desert Eagle. I hail you Fellow Marine. Your Work is just...Stunning!!! and I am deeply honoured that you chose my Tsunami MK IV**, design as your final choice. imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. i just don't know what to say. words cannot express how great an honour you bestow upon me. I am not worthy.

~grins so hugely that the top of my head may fall off~, lulz. I am the proverbial cheshire cat!!! Thank you so much mate.

Take good care of yourself and keep up the amazing work. You make GW staff seem inferior!

PM me for my email so we can talk in msn sometime and discuss future conversions.

Till next we meet Battle-Brother. Let the Emperors Light guide and protect you.

Semper fidelis

Archived