Desert Eagles wip

Nice Termies there. The poses are very cool. The serg chest plate is really interesting. Where is it from?

The pose in the left rear of the second shot is my favorite out all of them. The low stride and low fist with a cocked head is very menacing. He looks like hes ready to rock someone that was stupid enough to shoot at him from his left. The look and pose is as if hes saying "Oh no you didn't just try that with me..." <_<

The shoulder pads still look great. FW will take things back usually without question. And alot of times just send you a correct set and let you have the others. They have mistakes like that already figured into the price of each item. You might want to call them. That will get the ball rolling faster in most cases.

Glad to see you're still at it. Breaks are good, though. Helps clear the mind and allows you to recheck your style.

Keep goin, brother.

Thanks mates. Yeah, i know i should probobly give them a call...but i don't know if i'll bother with it. I hate telephones and english isn't my spoken language, besides, a good friend of mine plays ultras and wouldn't mind a set of shoulderpads. But i won't order any new ones, i'll just paint the eagles instead. Less bling, but they'll look decent anyway. I still think it's horrible to have a contact us mail and not bother to respond. ;)

Toddius: The sergeant is really just commander culln of the red scorpions that forge world sell. But being rather generic he'll fit into any army, just add desired chapther bits. The scorpions shave of real easy aswell. But as i said before, the original pose just feels kind of akward, hence the armswap.

Thanks mates. Yeah, i know i should probobly give them a call...but i don't know if i'll bother with it. I hate telephones and english isn't my spoken language, besides, a good friend of mine plays ultras and wouldn't mind a set of shoulderpads. But i won't order any new ones, i'll just paint the eagles instead. Less bling, but they'll look decent anyway. I still think it's horrible to have a contact us mail and not bother to respond. ;)

Forgeworld are really really slow with email responses, eventually they will respond.

Here is a very early wip photo of one of the sergeants bike. I realize there may not be tons to be said about this pic, being in such an early stage, but i felt like posting it anyway. The front fender with the eagles on the sides however is getting there... and probobly won't change all that much from here on. But there's still work to be done on the fender (purityseal and studs for exampel). Is the blacklining still to prominent? I have reduced the width (compared to the beaky biker) to abouth half. I have also darkened the basecoat of the white a little bit to achieve some more highlights. It doesn't really show in the pics, and the colours in the pics are a bit funky aswell. It's dark outside, so there wasn't any good light, but the middle picture is closest to the truth.

The rest of the mini is merly given it's first coat of paint and some washes in the recesses.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/bike.jpg

Cheers!

Another nice bike in progress!

+beautiful white-as usual-; great yellow (i love the freehand); the 'cloak' is superb (bows head:) I haven't seen you painting cloth so far, but it looks that you definitely got the tast of it)

-you won't gess :), the blacklineing tough it has improved a lot indeed, is still a bit wide for my taste. If the base colour were't white you could probably get away with it, but in this case the white-black contrast makes it stand out too mutch (IMO)

Keep up the good stuff!

PS:I honestly hope you'll recieve the correct shoulderpads.

• 2 months later...

Hehe, it's litterary been forever since i updated this thread (think it had dropped to page 20 or something like that). Been painting a crisis suit for a local competetion, placed second behind a kick ass space marine. Unfortunatly i can't show you any pics, but that's whats been keeping me from working on my army...aswell as some more grown up issues like work and such. :P

Anyway, i have made some progress with the biker sergeant from the last post, but 'cause of the non existing light up here in the far north, the pics sucked so bad i'll have to try to get better ones later. But i've also done some recent work on my techmarine aswell as begun working on a Landspeeder Tempest.

First, the Techmarine. I do think i'm pretty much done with this fella. Just need to gs some gaps. I'm rather pleased with how the backpack turned out aswell as the servoarm. I had whises for making a full harness, it's such a bargain when it comes to gameplay, but i couldn't make it look cool on an ordinary bike, so, well... i might do a techmarine in a full harness riding a quad or something like that further down the road.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip9002.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip9003.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip9004.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip9008.jpg

Also, what colourscheme would you preffer? All red? White bike with red techmarine? Same as my normal marines only with red instead of orange? I saw a really cool techmarine somewhere who where painted yellow with "dangerstripes markings zigzag thingies"...whatever that word is :) . Perhaps something like that, or would that be to unorthodox?

Then there's the tempest. I'm aware everybody says they suck, i want one or two anyway. I don't like the current tornado speeder. For starters, it looks way too cramped with two marines sitting shoulder to shoulder like they do. So i wan't a single cockpit version instead. But i actually don't fancy the forge world tempest version either, the fully enclosed cockpit just doesn't appeal to me. Instead i'm going for a more semi-enclosed version, so it still can be argued to sport better armour than the regular speeders. I do however want to keep some elements from the FW speeder, like the vents on either side of the cockpit. Now, please mind, this is like a very rough sketch of a drawing. The chainsword is just indicating where the cockpit will be, etc. Hopefully you guys get the idea of where i'm heading with this one.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip9009.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip9012.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip9011.jpg

C&C very welcome!

First, i searched for a while and found those yellow techmarines i were talking about. I love them and seriously consider painting mine in this fashion aswell. Yellow techmarine 1 Yellow techmarine 2

Then the update on that bike. I've added some minor battledamage/scratches and also tried something diffrent for the tyres, a lot less black then on the previous bike. Still working on the robes, they really could use some dirt right now... Oh well, metals just basecoated, as are the bolters and the stearing bar, and on the base the rocks are really the only thing that have had some work done.

@sati: I actually saw your post like a month, atleast, after it was written. I didn't ignore your critique or anything, infact i appriciate your honesty a lot, just so you know. I agree that the blacklining may still be to much. I havn't repainted the blacklining, but i will try to go over them with some brown brightning up the "black" somewhat and see how that works. And, altough i'm flattered, the robes really had next to no paint on them and did infact look very unpainted irl.

@brother plasticard: cheers mate, i shall try to update a little more often. Sort of like a late new years resolution i lay upon myself to have a fully painted army of about 1k before the end of 2008.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip9025.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip9029.jpg

C&C appriciated,

cheers!

This is a great start to a new year! Nice stuff already to look at B)

I have to say that when I redo my RW army at the end of this year (after my current project and my DW are done) I will be copying the same modeling ideas as your bases. Those are truly awesome. They add so much flavor to the overall look and it really sets them into an environment that tells you they are from the deserts and wastelands. Brilliant stuff as always.

The techmarine is so very killer. I'm jealous you get to do this. The idea of going with a yellow/tan techie is very appropriate with you color scheme. I think you've added enough detail to both the bike and the techmarine himself to find enough contrast and edges for details and depth. The caution stripes are dynamic and create movement, which for a fast attack army is approriate.

I think I'd keep the stripes muted. Maybe brown/red or a dark brown. If you mix blood red or gore into bubonic brown/dark flesh or the yellow/tan you've been using you'll find some muted contrasting colors that will work IMHO. Here are some old DW concepts I did 4 years ago that have different color caution stripes to denote squads. I've changed my color pallete a bit since then but if you want to see it on white like you suggested theres an example. Here is a techmarine I did a while back that uses both White and Dark red in its Angels of Absolution scheme. Another Pic from the back. Note the yellow and dark red caution stripe bolt pistol. :P

The details on that techie are very ingenious. All the little redirected bitz make perfect sense and fit thier purposes flawlessly. Alot of times when people kit bash the parts they use are very jumbled or don't follow the orginal form at all. And yours does exactly what one would expect when you view the model.

My only suggestion on him is connectivity to the bike, either with coils or wires. I've contemplated doing instead of a techmarine on bike but a bike on techmarine. When the bike morphs into a suit of armor much like you see in robotech but with a more "Heavy Gear" feel. Really make him look like man-and-machine. You have the skills to make man/machine more apparent and I think it would look cool :P

The tempest is an okay unit in game terms. Its expensive for what it does in the end. But its an awesome model and has a very aggressive look. Yours is doing the same. I've been on a 40k Building mode where I'm kit bashing the buildings they put out. One Idea I had was to take the top of a cathedral window (the arched end) and tilt is back 30-45 degrees and use it as a "windshield" for the cockpit for a speeder, or in your case a tempest. It works for my DA's and I have to wonder if a gothic look like that would work for yours. My suggestion is to maybe look in that direction for bitz to see if its a viable option for you.

Great to see you running again. My devestator squad is taking me forever and I've been rethinking the razors as we discussed but hopefully I'll be able to keep up with you. :P

@kyng72: It's from Inquistor Tyrus from the Inquisitor range.

@Dester Eagle: The marines are amazing. I can't fault you on anything. I especially like the eagle heads by the front wheels. Good to see a non White Scars/Ravenwing biker army.

Khrangar

@Master Toddius: Thanks mate, thats some really good stuff. I'm really glad you like the yellow techmarine paintscheme. I do belive some people will have a hard time with it not being red, but i think it is a very unique scheme that guy came up with. Makes my mind wander off to the service-vehicle/power lift Ripley runs in Aliens (another of my favourite films) colourwise. Will try out some caution stripes the way you're describing and see what looks best when i eventualy come around to paint him. The stripes won't be pure black anyway, thats for sure. Good stuff, always love to see them older metal marines. Solid paintjobs, but you have improved a lot since.

Having the bike grown from the techie like that sounds awsome. Just brilliantly put, "bike on techmarine". Not sure how to pull that off to be honest, maybe guitarr strings and such, i guess... i'll give it a good thinking as i really think thats a great idea. :D

For the speeder ideas...well, yes, while i do have a knightly look on my marines, the really gothic thing might feel out of place. I don't know. I can defenitly vision what you're talking about, and its solid stuff. I do plan to build up the cockpit from plasticard. That might come off as rather plain, i don't know, so i'll keep an eye open for usefull more ornament bits.

Cheers mate!

@Kyng72: Thanks mate! As Khrangar said the shield is from Tyrus in the inquisitor range.

@Kharangar: Thanks mate!

@favoured of the emperor: Thanks mate, bikers are fun to model and paint, you should include a unit or two with your fists.

@Xeper: Quite a few people have been asking about my whites, which ofcourse is rather flattering... tell you what, i'll take photos and write down a small sort of tutorial, nothing fancy, next time i sit down and paint something white.

I've painted some more and am curious to know what you guys think. I'm mainly trying to figure out wether the blacklining got better by trying to soften it up a bit or not ( Front fender and stearingbar shield) . All i've done is added some very thinned down desert yellow, slightly altering the colour already there. My blacklining is pretty much a 50/50 mix of brown- and orc flesh wash. With the added desert yellow, the green becomes slightly more apperant. Well, i'd be happy to hear any toughts, is it worth the effort of repainting the blacklining?

Also added some dust and dirt to the robes. I think that turned out alright. Also begun painting the banner. One side more or less finished, needs some tyding up, especially around the dark areas and the orange. I'll do a similar design on the other side, but with 2 flying eagles instead (much like the banner and h.bolter shield on my tac squad).

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip9045.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip9051.jpg

C&C appriciated!

Well, painted the other side of the banner. Pic is rather bad, nighttime screwing colours, contrast and such. Anyway, i'm still rather curious about that blacklining issue...

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip9061.jpg

On a side note, my bikers hit the saddles and drove off to war yesterday. Lots of laughs, good beer, good islay whisky... and i actually managed to pull of a victory aswell!

C&C appriciated,

Cheers!

Wow that banner is a piece of art my friend...very effective!

And as far as theblack lining I do raher like the subdued look of he brown and ork flesh...its very subtle and a nice contrast to the black vs white most people use. I think you pulled it off rather effecively.

Oh, i live in Umeå aswell. Tomtebo to be precise. I'm sort of making a comeback into the hobby after a decades break (altough, it's closing in on a year since i first dusted of some of my old paintjars, so perhaps still calling it a comeback is pushing it :rolleyes: )

Gorram!

Two players naming their Chapter the 'Desert

Eagles' in the same, not-very-large town?

I'll be...

Archived