Toddius 4th Company Dark Angel Thread

The Next Project

2 More tac Squads of the Same Style. :) More Fun Bases to build and maybe some mods here and there. But I'll will likely focus more on the painting.

Captain Engelhardt:

Just get a nice thin Detal brush, make sure your paint is thin as well, and keep a steady hand and go for it. It'll take some practice but you can do it. Part of the reason I love painting these minis is because it MAKES me settle down, breathe easy and have a calm spirit. Its like meditation. REally good stuff after an insane day.

Hubbynz:

Thanks bro.

Doghouse:

Flattery... :teehee: Thanks I really appreciate that, sir. :)

White Crusader:

LOL... you might as well pic a style and stay true to it, right? :)

I really like the vet. serg. That robe came out very well. What i like best about that robe is that there's a good sense of the material it's suposed to be made out of. Your choice of muted colours makes the robes look like they where made out of a dense fabric, it's not made out of silk, it's a piece of resiliant heavy cloth. Brilliant and well executed.

However, i don't fancy that squad leader. The painting itself is flawless, smooth and well blended as usual. Also, the detailworks are superb, like the lense on the scope. But that blue robe makes the colours clash. The colours simply dont compliment eachother and seem to struggle for attention amongst themselves. There's to many bright colours with bone, red, green, blue and so forth. I can understand why you want to separate the vet.serg from the squad leader, but maybe a green robe would have been preffered, or if you're stuck on blue, maybe a shade of blue bordering on almost black?

I hope you see this as honest and sincere c&c, so i don't get on your <DELETED BY THE INQUISITION>list for this. You know i like both yourself and your dark angels, i just don't think the colours work that well together in this last one.

*Edit/ hehe, so you can't say s h i t even in a more funny sense? :rolleyes:

I completely agree with you Desert Eagle. My First blue was a dark grey blue to mute it as possible, but it looked like he was wearing a denim robe. Like blue jeans for power armor or something. I then went blue black and in highlighting the color it came out a little bright. I did black deep contrasts on recesses of the robe but it made to much of a contrast. So I hit it with blue wash. I think it would make a great dark gothic night lords blue, or a sinister looking Ultra Smurf Blue but its not dark enough to be a muted blue for Dark Green. I think It will be better to stick to earth colors for the robes. Stay away from primary colors except in the trims. I'm going to have to revisit the robe later. Maybe after I get all 30 done I'll have a better idea where to go with him.

Don't ever worry about critiqing my work. Again, being a designer HAMMERS humility into your psyche. It makes you look at the design from all angles which in the end brings about wisdom and a deeper understanding in the truth of its life. Thanks for your honesty. :rolleyes:

I didn't feel like painting today plus I had the base building bug goin. So why fight going in a direction if the motivation's there? Right?

Here is the next 10 bases. I went for more pipes and cat walks, and did as many stair variations I could think of.

med_gallery_317_1494_24778.jpg

I'm going to press home the attack on the other 10 bases tomorrow night, which completes the 20 more i need, and then prime them. Then go back to the tactical squad Delta and paint the bases/icons. At least thats the plan :P

More Pics

sugar-free:

Thanks dude. The tank is on the shelf for now. I'm building up to it. I want to get as much practics painting in as possible before tackling it. :(

Bjorn firewolf:

Thanks. The recipe for bone is to mix White with Bubonic Brown. Then wet blend up and down in tone to achieve the blend you want. I wet blend mine. It usually takes 3 layers for me. :(

C&C Welcomed.

still looking good Master T! I like th eblue, a nice way of distinguishing the combat squad leaders. Also those new bases look good too ;) what are those lil white squares, and where can i get them from? (or are they some kind of putty?)

-Solskjaer

solskjaer:

Thanks bro. The little squares are actually a tile sheet from a company called Plastruct. Just about every architect I know use them or has at some point in thier career. They have a zillion different types of sheets that cover a range of textures and architectural elements and they also have every kind of piping you can think of. They also do custom plastic models as well (expensive).

Linky

;)

Those bases look pretty nice :)

I have to agree with Desert Eagle about the blue robe, it just doesn't look right. Beautifully painted, but just not right. The brown robe on the other hand looks great.

Can't wait to see more updates....

• 2 months later...

Well, its been forever but I've actually been working on stuff that isn't board allowed since, so I've come back to my beloved DA's and here are some updates.

First I've begun my razorbacks for my LA GT army. Heres the list of what I'm attempting to build, scroll down to the second list. Its part of the fluff that I and the Dark Angels forum developed some years ago found here.

So I saw some really good rhino interiors that I really dug from a few members including Sihook's RHINO beautifully done interior. And I started this:

med_gallery_317_1257_24017.jpg

med_gallery_317_1257_18012.jpg

med_gallery_317_1257_9933.jpg

med_gallery_317_1257_43709.jpg

med_gallery_317_1257_22069.jpg

med_gallery_317_1257_7498.jpg

med_gallery_317_1257_57989.jpg

And then I sat down with some GeeDub building scenery and starting picking out pieces that I'm going use for my razors, preds, and LR's.

So I updated the front of my Pred:

med_gallery_317_1257_32932.jpg

med_gallery_317_1257_4290.jpg

So thats the vehicle update thus far. I've also started my Dev Squad as well. Its my 4 Lascannon Salute squad...

med_gallery_317_1726_18515.jpg

med_gallery_317_1726_10570.jpg

med_gallery_317_1726_33420.jpg

med_gallery_317_1726_26854.jpg

med_gallery_317_1726_55717.jpg

med_gallery_317_1726_17394.jpg

The Dev Squad leader will basically have a uber master crafted (looking because the lame dex won't allow me to) looking ONLY bolter. I really wanted the bolter and targeting equipment to look high tech and make him trully feel like a long range expert Vet.

I'm going to continue on with the rest of this project at this point with everything or else I fear I'll run out of time.

C&C Welcomed as usual :lol:

Link to a tactical squad finished.

BTW, the corks are from my favorite beer of all time ;)

Oh, and forgot to mention that I finally replaced my old paint shelf with this I built from scrap basswood and metal left over from the study model I built at work :lol:

med_gallery_317_1465_996.jpg

Makes life a little easier. And I only put out the paints on the shelf that I use for that particular project. ;)

Hi battle brother!

I read the post and is a great working do you making, really a great work. I take some ideas for bases :P

One question, the magnets in the rhino will be for the add dozer blades?

Wraithwing:

Thanks man. Ya theres going to be part of a building untop of those rhino's to make them razors... :lol:

Lemariont:

Thanks. Yes the magnets are for future add ons. Bulldozer blades being one. Good observation :o

hail, Battle Brother

ok firstly this thread is fantastic. your work is inspirational. lots of good ideas and i like how you look at years past GW material for your ideas. i like the last DA symbol the best as that is the original 1st founding legion icon for the DA. your predator is superb, i love your conversion, mind if i nab the idea for a future lance of 3 predators? your painting is really good and thats what stands out the most. i love your style. reminds me of 'eavy metal painters from the mid 90's. cant wait to see more from you. i will be following your thread with keen interest. and you know i need to get some of my stuff painted. anyways take good care and have a great xmas

peace

Okidus:

The angel is from the terminator banner pole that I sawed off and sanded into shape. I have alot of them left over from other projects so any chance i get to use them I jump on it. :)

kanan:

Thanks for the compliments. I've been lurking in your thread as well and really dig how experimental you are with your work. I don't have alot of opinions to offer because you seem to have things under control. But I do pay close attention to what you're working on as well :teehee:

I need some opinions on what you guys think about this. I went for a temple monastic looking turret because I like this kind of gothic Dark Angel look. I've seen this done with mobile land bases and huge LR mods with alot of building additions to the top. I kinda went for a scaled down version with those. I'm using a stripped down speeder for 2 of my Ven Dreads so the seats and controls to have the marine sit inside the turret. Controls at and a forward targeting screen are some of the things I'll build in. I'm just concerned about the scale. I think you just have to commit and go for it.

med_gallery_317_1257_23018.jpg

med_gallery_317_1257_45907.jpg

med_gallery_317_1257_24757.jpg

med_gallery_317_1257_12551.jpg

med_gallery_317_1257_32574.jpg

The turret will be four sided as shown above but scaled down. This is the idea photoshopped... I will add ammunition hoppers and controls where the HB's and LC's will be mounted. Magnets will allow me to do both load outs. I was also considering adding a stained glass look to the turret as well.

med_gallery_317_1257_31655.jpg

Any suggestions? :P

Personally I must say that I am not a big fan of this style. I mean I really like an ornate gothic look (one of the reasons I play black templars :P ) but it still should look like war gear. A tank with a tower on top just is to much imho. I also find that it often looks very improvised but from what I have seen here you have more than the required skills to pull this off :)

None the less I have seen a black templar army completely based around this theme at blue table painting. It hasn't actually got a turret like yours but you still might find some inspiration. btp gallery

Personally I really like the landspeeder version in this army. They are so totally different. The rest is not so much my style.

Finally I just browsed through the complete thread and I just have to say your DA look really gorgeous. Really inspiring work mate. keep it coming. :teehee:

Great to see you back on track mate (I've also been working on a xeno myself for the past month, but i'm ready to get back at it aswell). I've been eager to see your progress on this army. Your stuff is looking great as always. Think i don't have much to say about the basic marines that i havn't really said yet but i'll gladly comment the razorback.

I'm not really sure where you're going with it right now, but it sure looks like an unique vehicle. I think the building-turret may be a bit big, on the other hand, that may be because it looks sort of "alone" right now. I would suggest you really went crazy with this one, study a few John Blanche illustrations and just go nuts. Perhaps start adding small towers all over the hull, sort of growing from the sides. And for a real gothic look, maybe not as symetrical, diffrent heights etc. I'm afraid if you don't it might look a little out of place and something that doesn't belong there. I hope you understand where i'm going with this. The more i think of it, i belive this can turn into an amazing vehicle, maybe used as a transport for your HQ. But i do think you need to either tone it down or go nuts to make this a convincing piece. Perhaps make a few simple sketches and see what you like best.

O T, is that beer chimay? Yeah thats good stuff, from belgium i think, right? Strong...like 8% or something like that, altough it still tastes beer and not booze. Well, it's a nice beer. I myself preffer czhech beer ( any is good, that country can't make bad tasting beer, but staropramen, zlatopramen, strobno along with pilsner Urquell ranks pretty high in my book). Lots of taste yet easily consumed. Also lately developed a taste for brittish ale... Oh well, this was really off topic.

Cheers!

Darth Potato:

Flattery. Thanks, bro. :D

Brother Bohemund:

Thanks for checking the thread. Thanks for the compliment. I think BT's and DA's are born both of knighly hood. So we have things in common. :)

Thanks for the link. I love the fact that he really went for it with no abandon. I think for the style it looks cool. Over the top but thats okay because thats 40k. For myself personally I want to have the feel of ornate and gothic, but draw a line somewhere. I want some building pieces (being an architect :) ) but I want to also make it techie and balanced. Its going to be an interesting mix and balance to strike. Thanks for the post.

Desert Eagle:

Glad to see you're still at the ready to push onwards with your maticulously executed awesome chapter.

I'm not really sure where you're going with it right now, but it sure looks like an unique vehicle. I think the building-turret may be a bit big, on the other hand, that may be because it looks sort of "alone" right now.

I totally agree with you. Thats why I said that I would have to commit and go for it if I do this. I've looked through the btiz in this kit and others and have some ideas on where to add some more pieces. I still want to maintain the rhino and armor. The bitz I add would be just enough to balance it but not push it into the realm of total fantasy. I'm going to have to mix and match and really think hard and long about this. I do have another rhino thats almost an exact duplicate of this one. I'm doing the interior slightly different. There will be a plasma gun with a plasma charger device on the rhino wall next to it, set up much like the flamer in the pic above. I'm just not finished with it yet. The challenge also will be to make these look right with and without the turret. I want these to run as rhino's when the list calls for it.

In total with this army will have 2 razors and one rhino, along with a pred destructor. The rhino will be a major conversion because they're geared for my vets that will be of The Order from Caliban, if you check the fluff link above you'll see. Thanks for the compliments and honesty. We both think alot alike. :)

:ot:

Yes it is Chimay!! You are the big winnah. I haven't really tried a czhech beer extensively. I'll have to ask around to see where I can pick some up thats good. I've grown up on pilsners like Hieneken and all the American beers. I can't stand budwiser/ miller/ coors anymore. Not enough taste for me. I've really gotten into dark beers and bach's. I've been drinking Guiness Stout for years and love Dark-and-Tan's (pale ale and guiness mix). But Chimay does it all for me. Huge alcohol content and a smooth dark beer taste. Its expensive out here but thats okay. I love beers from Belgium and pure German beers also, Franziskaner Hefeweizen, Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen, ect... I better stop before a mod guns this down :)

Master Toddius your army looks great. I also really like the bases you’ve made. It always looks like nothing will fit onto a 25mm base but you have done an excellent job.

“Warning off topic”

try an Aventinus, if you haven’t already.

“warning returning to topic”

Archived