Toddius 4th Company Dark Angel Thread

Lighting Marines:

I'll be happy to do that. Give me a little time and I'll post that process up. :whistling:

DibbZi:

FW and GW tend to take WW1 and WW2 tanks and modernize them with a mix of various tank types to create thier own brand or style of tanks. The "spaced" armor is something that is still used today on tank armor and was originally developed in WW2 to combat against Anti-tank rockets. The Armor Piercing round would hit the outer spaced armor and then release its jet of super heated metal into the space between the tanks and the armor. Thus giving the tank a better chance to survive the hit. You see this form of defense on American Strikers in Irag as a steel cage around the vehicle.

So FW took the idea and made it workable (in theory) with thier transports.

Thanks for the compliments and post your stuff on this forum because this is a great place to learn. I reached this level from doing just that. :D

++Edit++

Reshot the Devestator Squad. The Link for the Hall of Honor is here.

gallery_317_1726_130839.jpg

med_gallery_317_1726_53933.jpg

med_gallery_317_1726_17772.jpg

med_gallery_317_1726_38387.jpg

Well, off to the store to order some shields to become combat shields for my Knights of the Order. Which will be the next updates.

Comments and Critiques welcomed.

Ok, so here we go with the Knights of the Order. Or Dark Angel Veteren Squad.

med_gallery_317_2935_40737.jpg

med_gallery_317_2935_44913.jpg

med_gallery_317_2935_26094.jpg

The Link for the FLuff on these guys is here. The Icon represents the Tower of the Angels, which is one of the only remaining buildings of Caliban. It is to remind the Knights of thier roots on Caliban and a symbol of unification for all the Successor Unforgiven Chapters.

gallery_317_2935_12484.jpg

Think, Fantasy Brit Knights but in Dark Angel Regalia. I also have Shields on order that should be coming in soon to become the combat shields. Hence the pin hole on the arm of the Vet above.

So basically thats the test mini. I'm going to start painting tomorrow once the GS has cured. And I should have a reshoot of the Dev squad as well with less clouds hindering my photo's.

Comments/Questions/Critiques are welcomed.

:lol:

Wow, i really like the fluff. Was this written before the latest codex as they somewhat fulfill the same role as the ravenwing, scouting for fallen and so forth? I think i especially like the legion thinking behind the order, but my real favourite is the lone champion of the order. I think you need to make one of those, it's the coolest part of the fluff. Heck, i'm inclined to make one myself, just for the hell of it. Hmmm...maybe further down the road. I don't know why, it's not really all connected to your fluff, but somhow i picture the lone champion looking somewhat as Strider...only with power armour.

About the minis. What colours will you be using? Is there going to be a lot of diffrent unforgiven chapther colours showing underneath the jet black cloaks ( which i must say, i am sort of missing on the test mini...) or a more uniform squad of purely Dark Angels? I think i saw a chaplain leading the squad in the army pic, but wouldn't a palladin be a much fluffier choice, atleast for friendly games?

About the cloaks...don't know if you're skipping that part, but just as a suggestion i'd like to lobby for hooded cloaks over the monk robes. Would sort of look more knight-ish, i think, but would also make them stand out even more from the crowd.

Desert Eagle:

We did this fluff during the middle of 3rd edition. The idea was to use Death-Watch-Kill-Teams to represent the Knights. I was trying to come up with a fluffy way to use them in my DA army because apart from pure RW I've always leaned more toward the Greenwing.

The colors were something I noted as being a representation of all the Unforgiven Chapters. The Jet Black Cloaks is something that the other members added to create a more appealing way of tieing the squad together visually. I was just going to do a modified DWKT shoulder pad with the Winged Tower of Angels theme. Owen Reese when he still posted alot on the DA forums and had his own DA website "The Outpost" made a squad of his own that were DA green, black tabards with Cyphers winged backpack for all of them. Of course, back then you could bitz order those. I'm not a huge fan of all black robes with just the color on the arms and feet, and sometimes a little of the legs. Its not very dynamic IMHO. So I'm going with something a little different.

The original idea was to have a common icon but do them however way you wanted. I wanted people to have the creative liscense to do whatever. If you just wanted thier helmets and opposite shoulder pad representing thier chapters, fine. If you wanted just an opposite shoulder pad with the icon or just paint the original chapter icon over the tabard or cloak, cool. Each Knightly squad will have thier own twist on the idea and name for thier particular band of knights. My band of Knights are called "The Ghosts of Caliban."

I've chosen to use all the successors of the Angels of Absolution/Redemption/Vengeance/Consecrators/Disciples of Caliban/Guardians of the Convenant... and do all of thier tabards and cloaks in black with a red interior. The power armor will be painted in green with thier original icon appearing on the opposite shoulder pad of thier armor, or noted somewhere on thier tabard, or cloak. The Helmets will still bear the original chapter color, Sort of like the Fantasy Knights with thier assortment of helm colors and styles. Hence the reasoning for the red/black checkered scheme on the 4th company, and also all the variances for the DA chapter Icon. It will tie into the idea of the Knights and thier color scheme.

The Photo above has wings that I don't dig anymore. I'm going to switch them for smaller wings. Its over powering the armor way too much. I'll show pics of the results later.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, ok, i agree that full robes would be sort of bland and boring. I were more thinking in line of adding capes with hoods , maybe slightly covering the shoulderpads. Thinking more in line with the masters group of minis, cpt.sicarius and so on, but with hoods. But prefrably gs upon your minis so they don't just look like a bunch of captains. But if you're not going for a stealthy look, what about doing the opposite with full out bling bling? Like adding banners with their chapter heraldry on all knights? I don't know, they may be lame ideas in the end, i'm just throwing out some thoughts here. When i read the fluff i got a feeling they were sort of both proud and sad of their heiritage, as well as sour and truly pissed off at the ones causing their dishonour...and yeah, very very sneaky and secretive. Going more middle-road might be the best in the end.

For knight looking helmets, why not work around the winged helmet estehics that the DA already have, but in lesser scale? Something along these lines.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/dreadnaught088.jpg

I wouldn't minded if you went full out mental and made a whole bunch of diffrent coloured minis, that would have been cool as well, but painting them green with the red and black and, like you said, make them tie together with the 4th company heraldry is something i appriciate. A united look for the entire army, but still with lots of individuality. I like it.

wiplash:

Thanks man. :teehee:

Desert Eagle:

Wow, cool helmet. I always wondered what the smaller wing would look like. I actually like it. :) I might steal that little gem.

Its a really hard call on the armor colors. Because painting them full-out is going to play havoc on the black/red tabards and cloaks. I think for this squad I'll go a more conservative route. Maybe for the next band I'll go all out. But so far people are having a hard time just getting thier head around what I'm doing right now... :)

But you are correct, trying to be stealthy and decorative is a strange balance to strike. I think starting conservative and then figuring out what works better is the safer approach. But you might be totally correct and it will be better to just go for it.

Thanks for the great advice. :)

Something I've thought about doing was to use capes for the KotO. One side would be their heraldry and the other side would be a simple cape in the unified color (in this case Black). I specifically wanted the cape because it can be percieved as being REVERSABLE. Robes could probably do the same thing.

So perhaps you can bling up one side of the tabard and the other side would be the stealthy side.

Just an Idea.

Grand Master Belial:

Ya thats actually a really cool idea. We'll have to see if having the Robes Black on the outside and all different colors on the interior will tie all of them in cleanly. I'll play around with that as we go along.

Thanks. :P

The Knightly Order Shields:

gallery_317_2935_6311.jpg

And the Silver Helm Shields:

gallery_317_2935_36824.jpg

I also like the Empire ones as well. So many to choose from.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...otCatGameStyle=

THe Lions are the obvious choice on the knightly ones. The Silver Helms can be modified with a little GS to grab ideas off our 4 standards.

OK, so a redid the vet with smaller more managable wings and also redid the tower to a more clean result. You tell what you guys think.

med_gallery_317_2935_31833.jpg

med_gallery_317_2935_46070.jpg

med_gallery_317_2935_24548.jpg

My GS FU is not the best on the planet but I think I can eek my way by.

This guy will diffenantly be a consecrator with his older mk. armor and beak helm. So black helm with red center stripe. Should be fun to paint. :)

Comments/Questions/Critiques are welcomed.

Well, holiday craziness has delayed me a bit. I apologize for the pause in progress.

Consecrator Knight Lucius.

med_gallery_317_2935_32950.jpg

med_gallery_317_2935_12413.jpg

med_gallery_317_2935_27066.jpg

med_gallery_317_2935_23460.jpg

med_gallery_317_2935_34759.jpg

med_gallery_317_2935_24839.jpg

Consecrator shield. This will be converted, slightly, to the Consecrator symbol, over the flames of battle.

med_gallery_317_2935_17363.jpg

I decided to go all out and paint each knights power armor as its orginal color scheme, except to have all the cloaks, tabards, and robes to be black with a red interior. I still haven't decided on a trim scheme yet.

Comments/Critiques/Questions are all welcomed.

:)

So, I guess i got to ask -- what is it about this guy that everyone thinks sux? Is the shoulder pad idea lame? Do people not like the Knights of the Order theme? I don't usually have me stuff on here totally ignored after I post. Is everyone just turned off by dark angels since GW ruined the dex and aren't interested in this work?

Just wonderin. ;)

Wiplash:

I went back last night after looking at the pics and re highlighted a few areas, so you're correct and have a good eye.

I was thinking that the shield would work with a few symbol mods to make into a consecrator, and I thought the shield mimicked the beaky helm. But Maybe i can round off the bottom of the shield and square it off untop if thats what people don't like about it.

Thanks for the feedback. :P

I'm a big fan of the original DA/Consecrator colour scheme. My own DIY DA chapter will be following that colour scheme quite closely, with a few minor changes, so I was actually rather envious of how good your Consecrator looks as opposed to how naff my half painted DA's look! I especially liked the thin helmet stripes.

I am digging the shields and am waiting to see how it will look with the Consecrator emblem on it.

Wiplash:

I went back last night after looking at the pics and re highlighted a few areas, so you're correct and have a good eye.

I was thinking that the shield would work with a few symbol mods to make into a consecrator, and I thought the shield mimicked the beaky helm. But Maybe i can round off the bottom of the shield and square it off untop if thats what people don't like about it.

Thanks for the feedback. ;)

thanks ;)

i think you will need to paint a sheild up to truely see if it will fit i think it could work but not sure

So, I guess i got to ask -- what is it about this guy that everyone thinks sux? Is the shoulder pad idea lame? Do people not like the Knights of the Order theme? I don't usually have me stuff on here totally ignored after I post. Is everyone just turned off by dark angels since GW ruined the dex and aren't interested in this work?

Just wonderin. :)

Sucks? nobody said that..actually..nobody said anything =-P

I don't usually have stuff ignored either, so don't complain. It was only up for ...17 hours..and you posted it at night, so nobody was on..

Personally, I saw it, and just ignored it...no offense.

It looks good, maybe you could put the shield on his backpack instead. I did it once, and it looks pretty good.

Maybe I should try to post like that ^ and see if I get any replies myself =-D

Quick update:

med_gallery_317_2935_4410.jpg

med_gallery_317_2935_33653.jpg

med_gallery_317_2935_36594.jpg

med_gallery_317_2935_3396.jpg

med_gallery_317_2935_10993.jpg

wiplash:

Well do. Thanks.

Brother Caedrius:

Thanks bro. I'd like to check out you Consecrators to see if YOU have something I can borrow :(

I doubt yours looks bad. We're all our own worst critics.

Shortsonfire79:

Ah, honesty, I love it. :)

The shield on the backpack is an excellent idea and I might borrow that in the future. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Wonderful work there, Toddius. I especially like your black and the highlights. It has a very nice metallic feel to it.

lovely work on that Vet model. It shows your ability as that Vet Sculpt is possibly one of GW's worst ever marines if you ask me, hot on the heels of Cpt Cortez.

Every single model from the first Vet box, apart from the armless LC guy, is downright awful i my opinion.

Hey Todd.

I actually meant to post my thoughts earlier, but real life got in the way. Just one of those weeks when you have to put in lots of hours at work… Weekend at last, and while finally being able to relax, enjoying a very nice single malt called Linkwood 15y btw, here you go.

I do love the concept of the KotO’s as I’ve already told you, and I am equally thrilled about the classic style of your army. I must say however, that I think there are some room for improvement on this last one compared to what you've already done before. Lots of things are of course very good, like staying in character and style with what you’ve already painted. Gems and the lens of the targeter, the creamy cloth and so forth are splendid and I also rather like the KotO shoulder pad.

What I feel could be improved is the eye lenses…the blue ones doesn’t really pop. I say go for another brighter colour. I also think the blending of the grey/white on your chainsword could be smoother (the side from the front of the mini at least).

While I read the comments over at the DA section about the black tabard looking different than the armour I can’t really agree. I think the blue tones I see there don’t set them aside enough from the armour. Maybe give the tabard a touch of something warm instead. Like the red back of the tabard looks warm and nice (but maybe slightly glossy?), I think it looks much more like cloth than the front tabbard. What about giving the black a very slight red tone as well? Or my favourite “use for everything” colour desert yellow for a warm touch of ochre? It’ll still be black, just more different from the armour. Thinking of it, i say red would probobly be better. You'd gain in the way that a slight red tone would both play with the colour on the back as well as the red stripe on the helmet.

About the shield. I think it needs to be seen painted on the mini if it works or not. It got a slightly too much fantasy elves bit feeling over it. Then again, it could work.

And finally, haha, where the hell is MY fake text on the purity seals? You promised you would start doing it! :lol: ^_^

Well, seriously. Hope this didn’t come of as too much. Like if I’m cutting of your balls with a chainsword or something. It's with good intentions. I still think the mini will look splendid with the rest of your army, and you know I’m a fan of the style you got going. :yes:

Varney:

Ya, they aren't the most amazing models but this particular one screamed Consecrator to me. The successor is given to lovingly take care of the older equipment (or hand me downs) of the SM arsenal and take thier styling from the original Dark Angel color scheme in the RT days. So hence the older looking model. :lol:

wiplash:

You're absolutely right, sir. The tabard is going to add more red to the front to balance it as you've said. See what you think of the quick sketch below. :)

Desert Eagle:

Where have you been!! Thanks for the critique. Lots of help I appreciate it :) I learned how to play Battle Fleet Gothic today at the store and I really like the game. So its been alot of screwing around for me. My drink of choice right now is the Samuel Adams Holiday beer case. It has 6 different styles of holiday ale they only make for 2 months out of the year. Very good stuff :) Never knew cranberry ale would taste good. I'm glad you're able to take it easy this weekend and have some fun. We all need that. :)

The sword believe it or not is actually white/grey, its minthril and shaded with an addition of black ink mixed with minthril and cold grey. So when you look at the pic it might be drowned out, I should maybe photo this with a blue background. The sword and gun are intended to have a worn metal look to them. But you're right; the fades are a little off.

The black tabard ideas are really good. I'm actually thinking of doing something like this to break it up a bit:

med_gallery_317_2935_11071.jpg

It gives a more dynamic look to the tabard but I'll do the muted red so the cloaks will still seem dark and mysterious. And it stays in theme with the tower of Angels.

The original eye lense color in the book is an amber, maybe I can move to that instead and still leave the targeter optics blue to coincide with the rest of the army.

I'm going to sit and do all the fake text all at once with the whole army, but i have my tactical squad Malachi in a painting contest and the Devestator Vet. Serg Solomon in the single mini category. But it will happen, I promise. :)

Thanks again for the advice, all. I appreciate it.

Archived