Toddius 4th Company Dark Angel Thread

The shoulder pad work has been focused on my tac squads so far. Malachi is almost done. Solomon is still behind but all the designs are set so I just need to paint them. And as the thread has these guys as the next to update I'll show my progress with Devestator Squad Solomon first:

med_gallery_317_1726_8422.jpg

med_gallery_317_1726_117865.jpg

Album for more better viewing.

Kushan Blackrazor:

Thank you sir. It good to get back to things I enjoy. :) It has a peace all to its own.

Lemariont:

Thanks bro. They're not as cool as your LRC but close. :P

taLLis:

Thanks.

Desert Eagle:

Ya Hopefully '09 will be a little more fun. If someone has time could they take '08 back to the store and get a refund?

Sorry that the pics are smaller. I'm tired of photographing that particular tac squad. They're starting to get big heads now. I've caught a few of them taking way too long before a battle to get thier power armor and hair just right. And Angelus was trying to convince me that a Astartes SM callender would bring alot of $$ in so they can buy nicer robes... :D ++EDIT: if you go to the Album you can then click on the pic and it will do a full screen close up. ;)

daemonclaw:

Well, we all need someone to battle against, so I say make a 1500pt DA army for you or other friends to use. And for those who need an army to learn with so you can bring them into the 40k fold. :)

More to come later. Now its time for Turkey, mash potato, cranberries, stuffing, and a long nap. Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)

Gillyfish:

Thankyou very much Mr. Gillyfish.

Funny you should ask how many I have almost done. And just because you're such an excellent battle brother I will show you ;)

med_gallery_317_2889_172364.jpg

And some of the pad designs.

med_gallery_317_2889_106665.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_117146.jpg

Vet Sergeant Malachi directing target priorities.

med_gallery_317_2889_53974.jpg

Album is here for viewing.

I need to paint thier 4th company shoulder i.d. on. I think I might just blow through the rest of the DA icon pads for Solomon first, then do both the tac and dev squad company markings.

More to come.

Comments and Critiques are all welcome. :)

Shortsonfire79:

Thanks man. My last DA army was done all in decals and a pretty straight forward paintjob. This time around I wanted them to have a crusade feel. Slightly different colored markings then a normal 4th co. paintjob. And i was always inspired by the 3rd edition DA dex cover with all the shoulder pads having slight variations on the DA icon theme. So I thought it would be fun to paint them all with different variations as well. :D

Very cool Master T. I especially like the kneeling marine and the very nifty wings on the boltpistol. The cogwheel bases are awsome!

I take it the sergeant is still wip, but i think you need some other shade of skintone, some red or something. Looks sort of yellow right now. But there isn't much to crit, they look very crisp and clean in that great 'eavy metal style. Just lovely!

Good to see the Dark Angels back. Is there any change we can get a army photo (eg: stuff that done so far all together).

I am still very temp to do a Dark Angels because of your army, as said before it is really cool & I like how you made each shoulder pad single per marine.

IP

Good to see the Dark Angels back. Is there any change we can get a army photo (eg: stuff that done so far all together).

My Pleasure:

gallery_317_1726_243953.jpg

Vet Teaser thats still very WIP:

gallery_317_1726_93743.jpg

gallery_317_1726_52022.jpg

Some of the vets are going to get some new shields. Probably Fantasy Empire ones from the latest bits catalogue. I still have to build all thier bases and do some green stuff. But thats all for now on them -- you'll have to wait :)

The Dread is also missing but thats because its in pieces being HEAVILY converted. And it you're wondering what its being converted to -- just look at the walking thingy in my signature...

Captain Mick:

Thankyou kindly, sir.

Terminatorinhell:

Ya I live in the clean camp for these DA's. I do have almost my entire 1750pt GK army collected and you'll see a more "popular and modern" weathered/battle damage paint job. I need to show I can do both. :HQ:

LunchBox:

Thanks man. The Lord and these little models are holding me together right now :) Could have been planned that way, who knows...

Desert Eagle:

The kog wheel, believe it or not, is actually a bulk head for a chemical plant set that I kit bashed. And actually alot of the little bitz on these bases are from that kit:

https://www.megahobby.com/index.asp?PageAct...mp;ProdID=18084

Its an awesome kit. The also have a power plant and some others as well that are great either to bash into models or bases.

I do agree with you on his skin tone, which is why I went and bought a bottle of Vallejo Game Color Skin wash. It has pinkish tones to help with the flesh color.

Thanks for the compliments :)

Well, I got Malachi's squad finished. For more pics you can go to the Hall of Honor Thread.

Heres a few just to create continuity in this thread.

++EDIT: I reshot the squad in better lighting:

gallery_317_2889_174313.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_22616.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_44324.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_2875.jpg

med_gallery_317_2889_44635.jpg

Thanks to everyones input on these paintjobs. It has helped me tremendously.

Next on the docket is to achieve completion of the Devestator Shoulder pads. Might take a few days to work all of that out. ;)

Then its unto a few vets... Or Knight of the Order as I like to call them. ;)

The green is a little bit too bright and fresh, while the bone is too yellowish for my taste (If it should be yellow, then sorry for mistaking your color scheme. But you ain't going for points in my book with yellow ^_^ ).

Although I don't like your color choices, the paintjob is outstandingly awesome! I love the bases, the freehands, the conversions, the crisp and clean painting … well, everything besides the color choices. Keep on with that superb work!

risK:

Ya, the pics came out way to yellowy, if theres such a word... I need to shoot them in better lighting but of course its pouring rain outside this morning and way to cloudy. So it'll have to wait until mother nature allows me. I don't have my photo setup where I'm at right now so i'm stuck doing it the old school way outside.

Asiriya:

I painted them. I decided to use a decal for the #4 and paint over it so I could get some consistancy with the numbers. Otherwise it would take forever. The DA icon shoulder pads are freehand, but you know that :)

Hey Toddius, great work here

I spy, with my little eye, CYPHER THE FALLEN ANGEL :)

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll153/Big_Boss_Gold_Toof/gallery_317_1726_93743.jpg

Was just wondering what your gunna make of him, would love to see how that will turn out.

Keep it up

Thanks once again

Cpt x

The mini at the start of your thread had a nice bone color, but through the progression of the thread, the bone color went yellowier (how many adjectives can one make out of yellow?). I'm glad to hear, that it's just a matter of light setting. Otherwise I would have been a little disappointed by you ;).

By the way, that predator turret extension is intriguingly good looking, maybe I have to steal that idea … (I'm glad, that I haven't assembled a plastic predator yet, still playing with the old metal one.)

Captin Xavier:

Wow, I didn't even notice Cypher was in the background... That guy keeps following my force around, staying in the shadows -- waiting to, strike?

:whoops:

Thanks for the compliment.

risK:

Well, I've been experimenting with going more towards a gold bone color that compliments the green and looks more like the DA cover art from the old Citadel Journal magazine. Which is also were I got the idea to use more of ajade green highlight as well.

http://www.gamehobby.net/citadel_journal/c...journal_07.html

Wether I've achieved this or not is up to others to decide I guess :wallbash:

Off topic: I've been thaught since birth that the most beutiful colour combination in the world is green and yellow so i kind of fancy the yellow shoulderpads. Reckognize the visiting team goalie btw? (From the previous season. It was pretty exciting to see a living legend like that in the Swedish second division even though he sort of sucked :D )

http://www.rodang.se/janhof/loven-leksand_9_080123.jpg

http://www.rodang.se/janhof/loven-saik_8_080821.jpg

Anyway, on topic: I love the old artwork from the RT era, with that in mind i think the more yellow tone on your shoulderpads is really spot on. I wouldn't mind the white shoulderpad like in the artwork on the odd mini either, perhaps on some more distinguished member like say one of the company veterans or something.

Ahhhh this is great stuff,kinda like living in the old days(of 40k that is)yet still having nice crisp paint styles of today (i hope you understand :) )

cant say much else except its a joy to look at and it inspires me :)

Cheers Mithril

Desert Eagle:

Wow, Czech beer and hockey -- you have great taste :) Great take on the color scheme. British Green and gold.

Yes the White shoulder pad with red and black could easily find thier way unto a Knight. Good call on that.

mithrilforge:

Flattery. :) Thanks a bunch.

Grand Master Belial:

If you check the hall of honor thread theres probably more shoulder pads there. Also the album will show more.

I will also be doing a photoshop drawing of all the pad designs I came up with that Durus and Desert Eagle helped me with :)

risK: Toddius is throwing down with a classic style, thus the colors aren't your typical DA colors. *Correct me if I'm wrong, oh Master...but I believe he's going for a Rogue Trader style, but with actual good painting. Kind of a "perfected classical" look.

I'm not flaming on ya...just throwing my spin on it.

Master...I'm getting all giddy looking at your army...t'would be a shame should we ever meet...and my Marines mistake yours for traitors...

Oooooooooooooooohhhh the beautiful carnage...

Dude, your painting skillz are mad awesome! I wish I could paint just as good, but I'm still starting out with this whole thing!! I look foward to following your work! Also on a side note, what is up the the forgeworld "Spaced" armor?? Not knocking what you pickd, I just mean there design for it...

Archived