Toddius 4th Company Dark Angel Thread

Long time since the last post, but I've been actually trying to improve with these guys. I figrued out a better wash technique of DW bone white, and I've been really studying how to do proper terrain weathering.

The bases are just primered and have the start of a foundation color, but I'll post updates on the bases as i go. The pics I took of these guys aren't the best so forgive the weird coloration.

med_gallery_317_1726_116100.jpg

med_gallery_317_1726_106821.jpg

Vet Serg with modified Drum fed bolter.

med_gallery_317_1726_2675.jpg

med_gallery_317_1726_6603.jpg

The base inspirations from various photographers

gallery_317_1465_10190.jpg

gallery_317_1465_22286.jpg

Let me know what y'all think.

:teehee:

hail fellow Battle-Brother. Master Toddius you have outdone yourself. your DA Space Marines are superb. love the custom bolter on the Veteran Sergeant. the painting is exquisite. what can i say 10/10! and i love the basing on those Marines. that is where my guys fall down, i have only used Citadel Sand so far. i havent even thought about using material from the two basing kits i bought. you used alot of architectural modelling supplies in your basing and i think i will pop into my local art shop as they do stock a lot of that sort of thing. anyways great to see you posted some stuff today. i look forward to more from you. i was playing around with my Tsunami variant speeders. came up with a weapon configuration that didnt quite work so i binned the idea. anyways catch you later.

adios

Mad king George

The citadel guide taught me to wash with back ink on metal. And showed a very basic understanding of shade build up. But theres alot more than that going on in this project. Wet blends, color theory, color wash over multiple base color techniques, ect ect.

kanan

The stuff you see there is mostly kit bashing the Chemical Plant kit from Pegasus Hobbies. Then the plastic sheets and metal louvered sheets from hobby stores and architectural supply stores, then GW bitz.

Those Tsunami patter speeders are coming along nicely. I'm a little worried about the AutoCannon.... :HQ: :)

Thanks for the compliments. :)

195killer195

Thanks, bro.

Tabor

I glued the dreads together in the normal pattern of a GW dread. I left the sarc open and placed a servitor without arms or lower torso in a fashion that you could see it in the sarc cover opening. Then I was going to do a lid with plexi-glass over it and a cathedral window trim. But then I sat back and went, nah thats WAY to typical. The conversion was going okay, but then I felt like I was totally rushing it. So I tore them apart and decided to wait and develop something over time. I have a few concepts that I like utilizing Heavy Gear ideas, GW Titan ideas, and old Battletech ideas. But for now its still on the back burner. I'm waiting to get 2 tactical squads, this dev squad, a vet squad, 2 razors, 1 rhino, one pred, and a chappy done for my 1500pt army list for the LA games day. Once its complete I'm going to do my DW army which will include those 2 dreads that are in pieces at the moment + a LR m4, a LRC, and about 50 termies including HQ. So it'll be until after summer and probably the release of 5th. Sorry :P

I just have to say wow. Your conversions are subtle but they make your models distinctly yours and your painting is just amazing. I have to agree with the comments on the blue robe, it doesnt fit in with the model (i read the entire 6 pages of the thread lolz). And like my fellow Black Templar said the gothic turret seems a bit much. Maybe taking the sugestion of putting multiple towers on the razor back, however i really think you should make the turret shorter. It just seems out of proportion to the actual body of the tank.

Hope my comments were helpful in some way.

Messanger

These are some of the cooest marines I have ever seen honestly. They remind me very much of 2nd Ed era Eavy Metal style painting; only with the much nicer new models.

Those bases are amazing as well, I would love to see a Necromunda gang on those!

These are some of the cooest marines I have ever seen honestly. They remind me very much of 2nd Ed era Eavy Metal style painting; only with the much nicer new models.

Those bases are amazing as well, I would love to see a Necromunda gang on those!

Indeed, the old school 'eavy metal feel is the greatest asset of Master Toddius work along with some nice subtle convertions. And not to forget...'eavy metal minis never have been anywhere near to be mounted on bases like these. Awsome.

Aside from the flattering, i havn't got all that much to comment. They are comming along very nicely, good to see an update. Can't really put my finger on it, but something with your minis just makes me glad. Perhaps its because they are so colourfull or maybe its that 2nd era 'eavy metal feel, i don't know.

One thing i'm not all that fond of is the targeter backpack. I personaly think that's one of few never gw-pieces that doesn't look any good at all...but thats really no critique towards you MT. Adding a DA-icon slightly balances up the oversized targeter (maybe if the icon was painted green it would balance up even more?), but still...i would have preffered another backpack altogheter.

How is the gothic tower tank comming along? Any updates?

Messanger of Death

Agreed. The towers are going away, it doesn't work with the ablative extra armor. The Blue Robe did clash but it was repainted and remedied. :)

kenshin138

Thanks. I've always wanted to do a space hulk, cathedral type of base with an indsutrial theme mixed in. I don't know if I'm really pulling it off with such small bases but when the vets and termies are on the larger bases I'll have more room to experiment and express that environment.

Desert Eagle

After everyone advised me to rethink the look of the towers, I kinda came to the conclusion that i need to redo it. I'll still have gothic elements on it, but the design if the turret will mimic the hull and extra armor. I'm looking at several different options. I have dl'd about a zillion images, now I just need to brain storm and sketch some ideas out. I'm doing a full crossover to vallejo and its taking a little time to get used to how vallejo mixes and reacts to different water percentages. But I like the results since thier paints are so vibrant and full of depth. :mellow: I should have another update with the 1st of 4 lascannon marines in the next day or so.

I kinda like the back packs. I like the equipment targeter, its a little on the large side but I'm one for a techie feel like that. I wish it was a little more gothic looking like the 2nd ed search lights, but it works imho. The angel in my mind was a must. Hes the Vet serg and I didn't want any confusion for who and what he is since hes not toting the typical bolt pisol and Cs. With the style I play a bolt pistol Vet in a Dev squad is next to useless.

I don't know if its working here but in order to have some triagulation with the colors I did the angel bleached bone to frame the mini. Bleached robe low, bleached pad mid, and bleached angel high over head.

Ya, being old school I like the 'eavy metal look. I don't think I'll ever cross over to the newer weathered look. Just not my mug of beer, belgum in my case and czech in yours :sweat:

Thanks for the compliments. :wub:

Master Toddius: These Dark Angels are really cool & inspired me to finial get my DA done (ment to in Oct but many other thing in real life taken up time).

Just to ask (sorry if you already answer this) how did you paint the green power armour as I can't seem to get mine to look right.

Look forward to seeing the army fully painted, got high hopes.

IP

Insane Psychopath

I'm glad I've inspired you to pursue your goals, can't ask for a better compliment then that :P

~The green is actually pretty simple. I prime black, base with Dark Angels Green, then do very wet color blends with Vallejo Dark Green and Jade Green. Then in the recesses I'll do some shading with a mixture of green and black ink (mimic ork flesh wash from the old school citadel). And black ink and chaos black to do the extream recesses. Highlight pure jade green. All the colors I'm using now are Vallejo except for the base which is gw dark angels green. I've found that vallejo is to thick to really base the color. So I use citadel to get a quick even base. I've tried white primer, grey primer, and black, but the foundation of gw da green is still needed otherwise the surface becomes too raised and you lose detail if you try and bae with vallejo. But you could just do Da green with Vallejo Jade, I did the first tactical squad with that mix. But just becareful because when you mix Vallejo and Citadel the paint dries really thick. Vallejo dries more slowly and the paint evens out over the surface, when a citadel paint is mixed in that quality is lessened greatly. So keep the paint thin and do multiple layers.

~What I described above is also the way i do the bleach shoulder pads in technique. I use Vallejo plague brown and white. The extream recesses for the white is a mixture of brown ink and plague brown with yellow ink. Those are the 2 extreams mixed together to get the effect.

~Same with red. Gory Red to Bloody red, recesses are red ink mixed with black ink and gory red.

Hope that helps. ;)

Patrick O)))

This style doesn't work well with todays standards unless one puts the time in to do it as cleanly as possible, so one better really like the style if you attempt it. The weathered look can be done at different levels of execution but if theres a hickup here or there in the final result its ok. Doing it OS 'eavy metal you're placing your stuff under a microscope to get the desired result which is kinda stressful. If that makes any sense. :) So its a fun style to work on but it can be a brain-strain to get it up to a level of satisfaction for me. So sometimes I want to make the departure and go to the more standard weathered look but for now I like the way these guys are coming out. Not that the weathered look isn't difficult to pull of at higher levels of execution, but the level i'm painting at for gaming use the freestyle feel of the weathered look would be easier for me.

I really love your work, My first DA army had a ery similair look to them. I really cannot say enough about your work. I am really excited to se the end product and I must say I do like the feel of the "old 'eavy metal" look. nice to see someone taking the time to get the look and feel right like the old days

• 2 months later...

Hi mate, any updates underway? I'm most certain you've already studied the artwork closely in the da codex. But as i flipped trough the dex i just tought there where some great inspiration for your shoulderpads on p.56. i'm particulary soft for the glove holding a sword, altough it may be hard pressed to fit on a shoulderpad, but maybe for a banner? Anyways, i'm mostly just curious to see what progress you've made.

Cheers!

Desert Eagle

Wowzers. This is a shock. I looked at the window twice because I thought I accidently paged back 25-30 pages or so :P

Its funny you mentioned that because I pulled back on my tau a few weeks ago and began to finish this squad. Then I was stupid and went to my local battle bunker and gave in on buying the Deamon Hunters Codex and now trying to figure out a paint scheme and schedule for them. But there should be updates in the next couple weeks or so. WAAAAAYYY to many projects going on. Not to mention my Battle Fleet Gothic endeavors as well... :) And some of what I'm doing for this army is being kept secret until Games day. So you'll just have to wait for those. :P

LunchBox

I get the Coat D arms at my local hobbyshop.

• 6 months later...

Well, its been forever since I last updated this thread. This year has been one of the worst in my life. Father almost died in surgery while undergoing cancer treatment, Mother contracted the West Nile Virus and almost died in July -- is still in the hospital. The economy went down the drain and so did the design firm I worked for. And I had to move because of all this as well. So all in all I've been pre-occupied from pianting or play or go to any GD's/GT's this year. :P

So now I have all this free time on my hands to be a paint-pumpkin while doing the hurry-up-and-wait dance for a job...

The first update is a small but a complicated one. I repainted all the bases on my original tactical squad. I did some real experimenting to get them more like the inspirational photos for the enviroment I'm going for.

med_gallery_317_1244_18790.jpg

med_gallery_317_1244_108513.jpg

Go to my Album for close up pics.

I'm almost done on Tactical Squad Malachi and Devestator Squad Solomon. Just finishing up on a few more shoulder Icons. Thanks again to Desert Eagle and Durus for all the smartly done examples. I really tried to put 30 different shoulder pad designs on the 2 tacs and 1 dev squad.

More on the list is 2 preds that are almost ready to paint. And a ton of DA Vets. Plus Zeke, Azzie, Asmodai, and alot more.

Comments and Critiques are always appreciated.

;)

Sad to hear you've had such an awful year. Hope 2009 turns it around for you and your close ones.

On topic, yay, they look smashing as always. As before i like the bases a lot, the additions of hazards stripes on a few of them is a nice touch. Nice varity that still produces a uniform look. Also i'm rather curious to see all of those diffrent badges. Hehe, altough it sure must be an headache, but if you got 30 badges down you can't stop there, right? ;)

Wouldn't have minded slightly bigger pics, i have my nose next to my screen trying to make out all the details. :P

Archived