The Chaos Lord's Handbook

Brother Nihm

Many of your pestilent Nurglings are wondering what legion to play. Then it hit’s you. You want to play Death Guard! Good ole’ Mortarion’s boys. But why exactly play Death Guard?

Simple, you’re dead. Who doesn’t love zombies? Who doesn’t love zombie super-soldiers in power armor who are practically impossible to kill? That’s what the Death Guard are and more.

The Death Guard have a massive amount of fluff stretching back to the Heresy and beyond. They are one of the founding legions so you should get some respect from the young renegades.

Furthermore you have no need of the fancy sonic blasters that the Emperor’s Children have or the swanky guns that the Iron Warriors have. You are a footslogger and proud of it! If it worked for Mortarion ten thousand years ago it can work for you!

If course you do not need to be restricted to the pure infantry approach, after all the Death Guard had some bikes and jump troopers. Turboboosting Nurgle Bikers will make the shootiest Tau or Guard player cry and hide in the corner.

And even if you are defeated just grin and bear it. After all you are Nurgle followers and you will simply accept what it is. Eventually your implacable hordes of plague-bearing zombie super-soldiers will weather the storm of fire directed against you and triumph over the foe.

So eventually you will follow the long and difficult path of Death Guard commander, maybe allying with a few other Nurgle-worshiping Space Marines along the way. I hear the Cleaved are looking for allies these days.

And then when you get to the Plague planet you can be at the rotting feet of Mortarion himself, bearing the stinking load of dead corpses to tribute to Nurgle. Wow, I think I need to puke at that image.

So now many of you guys are out of anger management and wondering which of the legions to play. Then you realize there is only one possible choice for you to take. The World Eaters.

So why play World Eaters? Simple, they are badass incarnate. They kill anything in close combat, well almost anything, charging a Carnifex with some berzerkers aren’t too smart but going at some gaunts with some enraged genetically engineered killing machines is always fun.

You are one of the original legions of the Great Crusade; you have awesome and tragic fluff behind you. If you like Gladiator then this is for your. Angron was one of the most badass primarchs out there.

The World Eaters were considered terror troops in the Heresy; unlike the Night Lords it was completely unintended. Everyone was scared of having them and their entire planetary population massacred.

Angron was a beast in combat, read any of the Heresy novels and you will understand what I am talking about. Jumping from a thunderhawk in midair to kill his own marines is pure unadulterated badass.

And guess who was the first legion to breach the Emperor’s palace? The World Eaters. They took out the fortification of the Imperial Fists almost single-handedly and butchered all the way short of the Emperor’s throne room before Horus got himself killed.

Now on another note Khârn, you should play World Eaters just because of this guy. He’s like the chaos version of commissar, only infinitely more badass. In fact he is probably the most badass World Eater after Angron himself.

As World Eaters you are so good in close combat that you have no need of those pansy magic that all the Thousand Sons are talking about. After all why turn your opponent into a chicken if you can bury a chainaxe into them instead?

Even being defeat is a victory for you, after all Khorne cares not where the blood flows, only that it flows.

Sick of taking time out from battle to pay homage to arrogant warp entities? Would you rather build a Titan than a Cathedral? Then you my friend should play Iron Warriors!

Probably the most secular of the big bad 9 the Iron Warriors are the same rigours siege masters today as they were 10,000 years ago. Centuries of fighting as individual units rather than companies pre-heresy meant these guys learned how to hold their own and learned well.

They were the first legion to corrupt a space marine Vindicator, now everyone does it! This is the only force where 9 Obliterators is fluffy not cheesey.

Many ask where were the Iron Warriors during the 13th Black Crusade? I’ll tell you where, they were out defeating a Titan liego, a full Imperial Guard regiment and a company of Imperial Fists to claim a vast amount of geneseed that has kept the other legions going.

Iron Warriors rarely ally with other chaos space marines because why would they need to? With masses of men and machines ready to grind any opposition into the dust the Iron Warriors are just about as self sufficient as it gets.

If you despise the Gods but want all the great stats that worshipping them brings a little creative modelling can justify your Iron Warriors being Toughness 5 (Bionics) Weapon Skill 5 (Servo Arms) Sonic Weapons (What Iron Warriors doesn’t love big guns!?) or a 4+ invulnerable save (Force Shield Generator).

So if all this sounds appealing to you then strap on your helmet, hop in your Vindicator and start blasting holes in the pathetic shanties of the Imperium! May the wrath of Perturbo spread!

Welcome devotee of the Haunter! I see that you are fresh from Nostramo and you are asking yourself the most critical question. Why play Night Lords?

The answer is simple. They are badass. Our Primarch is Batman, except better. Konrad Curze was unquestionably the most screwed up crazy primarch out there, and we love him for it.

Curze beat up Rogal Dorn, one of the greatest of primarchs, rather easily. A tutor or warrior in a privileged world did not raise him; no he fought his way up in the alleys as a predator.

His planet was completely free of crime by the time he ascended to power. The False Emperor’s lackeys later mismanaged it and only Curze had the gut’s to put his world out of its misery. He was so terrifying he blew up his own homeworld. That’s awesome.

If you would read Lord of the Night we have access to awesome fluff that is rarely topped by other legions. We where one of the few legions that was actually betrayed by the Emperor rather than just launch into rebellion.

In the Night Lords it is not only your privilege but also your duty to mess with the opponent’s mind. We have other races crap themselves in terror at the thought of being brutally murdered in the dark.

We are the masters of stealth and terror tactics. When Horus was dead and the other legions fleeing like pansies to the Eye we where killing Imperial dogs in the Eastern Fringe.

And if so someone claims Curze sucked because he died, well he chose to die to prove a point, winning a victory over the corpse-god that no other primarch had, Not even Horus himself.

If you are a Night Lord you are free to use every dirty trick in the book to win, in fact it’s encouraged. Feel free to use any of the chaos powers for temporal power and wealth for your own gain.

The Night Lords are one of the few legions that do not worship the chaos gods. Their faith is weak, as was the faith in the Corpse God. All a true Night Lord needs is fear, a weapon more deadly then a bolter or chainsword.

Hopefully that bump in the night is you stalking your prey through the darkness, or that cut-off scream is the last sound your victims make. Men have heart attacks at the merest whisper of the Night Lords. I’ll see you in the Night.

Where did these Legion pissing match posts come from? I mean real men paint not blabber online. I know the Alpha Legion have a painting tutorial as I personally recruited the guy who did it. Musk knows quality painting...

I did a painting tutorial for a rather difficult and complicated scheme and now I've volunteered to do some more. Still no Iron Warriors, but how many times can you beat a dead horse?

Iron within, Iron without a painting tutorial

Talk is cheap and a picture is worth a thousand words to mix cliches. I'm still waiting on some of the early braggarts and now we have a fresh batch. Which legion should you play, anyone you damn well please, though DIY is the by far the coolest way to go. I mean why follow in someones footsteps when you could blaze a trail of originality across the galaxy?

After the Diseased Sons are finally done I'll be doing yet another DIY Chaos Warband to round out my Chaos Space Marine army. I've dubbed them the Nefarious Fire. Black armor, brass trim, and purple flames, with probably green tubing, just like the Phantom of the Rock Opera.

I've almost finished converting up the model I will use in my next tutorial, I hope to have the tutorial done not this weekend, but the next. I totally think you should be able to paint a single space marine on a Saturday and photograph it and type up some crap. Converting and priming should be done ahead of time of course...

You can see my CSM crap including the model I converted for the tutorial in the WIP section.

I'm not sure how long it will take, but I should be able to finish it easily after my CFA test. I gotta get back to studying everyday.

Anyway I did Hakanor's Reavers

I'm doing Brotherhood of Darkness

And to round off the not purple and green contingent.

I'll do:

Company of Misery

Death Shadows

Knights of Blood

And if no one else tackles it first, the Black Legion variant scheme on page 22

Where did these Legion pissing match posts come from?

I think Nihm asked for them?

@Gree,

Thank you so much it's exactly what I was looking for, consider it swiped.

Now all we need is one for the rest of the legions. ;)

I must have missed this post. Did the so-called Iron Warriors do one yet?

I still DIY is the way to go.

@malisteen

You're more than welcome to write up an apocalypse guide, it wasn't a part of the initial scope for the Primer but it could be a worthy addition.

I plan to drive to Glen Burnie to pick up a copy of Imperial Armour: Apocalypse on Sunday, as I feel an Apocalypse Review would be incomplete without it. Once I look it over I'll start work on the article.

@malisteen

You're more than welcome to write up an apocalypse guide, it wasn't a part of the initial scope for the Primer but it could be a worthy addition.

I plan to drive to Glen Burnie to pick up a copy of Imperial Armour: Apocalypse on Sunday, as I feel an Apocalypse Review would be incomplete without it. Once I look it over I'll start work on the article.

:P

If someone dares accuse you of being Chaos ultramarines then you have no choice but to send their souls screaming to the Dark Gods with Abaddon patting you on the back saying ‘’Good job (Insert name here)’’

So pick up your bolter and chainsword and don that suit of black power armor and prepare to the join the Black Companies, I’ll see you on Cadia.

As a Black Legion player - this piece is made of awesome and win. I salute you in the warmasters name.

Sorry if I'm ressurecting an old topic, but are all these "legion descriptions" going to be part of the Chaos lords handbook? If so I think it is a great idea to have these descriptions of the legions/reasons to get them. Are there going to be descriptions for each one of the legions? (and possibly chaos renegades?[even thugh I prefer legion myself :evil:])

Sorry if I'm ressurecting an old topic, but are all these "legion descriptions" going to be part of the Chaos lords handbook? If so I think it is a great idea to have these descriptions of the legions/reasons to get them. Are there going to be descriptions for each one of the legions? (and possibly chaos renegades?[even thugh I prefer legion myself ;)])
This is an ongoing discussion topic until the handbook is finalized so no worries. :devil:

Yes, the idea is to include one for each traitor chapter out there, either in the Lord's OR (most likely) in the Aspiring Champion's Handbook . The problem is getting people to help because despite of the valorous efforts of the contributers already - there's still a truckload of stuff to cover.

Sure thing, feel free to check the first post in the thread as it contains a list of items I'd like to be included, or you can review the handbooks themselves to come up with new additions.

For the colour schemes part, do you need actual painted models or just CSM painter images? If it is just the CSM painter images, I could do a couple of them.

EDIT: I see now its just the CSM painter images. Renegade chapter si could do:

Angels of Ecstasy

Brotherhood of Darkness (without the runes all over them since thats impossible)

Oracles of Change (without undivded icon on eye and arm)

I could also do the Red Corsairs intel file if no-one else has claims on it, although I may need a little help with things. I suppose I could sue the timeline in the chaos 'dex of the Seige of badab in it, as well as what Huron has been doind afterwards.

Here is the Brotherhood of Darkness scheme, without the runes, as obviously you can't put them on via the CSM painter:

csm.php?bpe=000000&bpj=000000&bp=000000&bpc=E33030&bpn=000000&hdt=000000&hrn=000000&hdm=000000&hdl=000000&ey=FFAA00&er=000000&pi=000000&nk=000000&ch=000000&abs=000000&bt=000000&btd=000000&cod=000000&ull=000000&lll=000000&lft=000000&url=000000&lrl=000000&rft=000000&slt=E33030&sli=000000&srt=E33030&sri=000000&ula=000000&lel=000000&lla=000000&lh=000000&ura=000000&rel=000000&rla=000000&rh=000000&ri=FF0000&tr=E33030&bg=FFFFFF&rb=000000&gr=737373&grid=TRUE&

I guessed on the helmet as the marine in the codex has no helmet, and I made the eyes orange because the only other colour besides red and black on the marine in the 'dex was the orange runes, so orange seemed the logical choice.

The colours may be slightly wrong, as I only just realised my computer has a brighter, truer colour when viewed from a different angle, so inform me on any wrong colours.

Nihm edit: fixed the link, and thanks! :P

EDIT: Forgot to do Chaos belt icon red, but the marine in the codex had a black abdomen, so should I change it so the chaos icon is red too?

csm.php?bpe=940000&bpj=9C9C9C&bp=940000&bpc=940000&bpn=940000&hdt=940000&hrn=FFF196&hdm=940000&hdl=940000&ey=0CB500&er=940000&pi=940000&nk=940000&ch=940000&abs=940000&bt=940000&btd=FFF196&cod=940000&ull=940000&lll=940000&lft=940000&url=940000&lrl=940000&rft=940000&slt=FFF196&sli=940000&srt=940000&sri=940000&ula=940000&lel=940000&lla=940000&lh=940000&ura=940000&rel=940000&rla=940000&rh=940000&ri=FFFFFF&tr=FFF196&bg=FFFFFF&rb=000000&gr=858585&grid=TRUE&

Oracles of Change. Couldn't do the chaos icon on eye and arm as there is no tool a csm painter, but got as clsoe as possile to the schem in the 'dex.

Nihm Edit: the links are borked, fixed now though.

@ Nihm: sorry must just be me :rolleyes:

I'm painting the Brotherhood of Darkness, maybe this Sunday. I got the model converted and built complete with helmetless head. And I will be doing all the little chaos runes, by hand with a decent brush, the way the chaos gods intended. I mean if you want to join the Brotherhood of Darkness you gotta paint your armor black and cover it with runes. It doesn't matter what legion or chapter you used to be in. You in the Brotherhood now baby. And we only wear black, with snazzy red trim, and gold chaos runes.

There is a picture of the partially converted model in the WIP section somewhere. I'm pretty busy so that will be my last painting tutorial until July.

Here is the Brotherhood of Darkness scheme, without the runes, as obviously you can't put them on via the CSM painter:

csm.php?bpe=000000&bpj=000000&bp=000000&bpc=E33030&bpn=000000&hdt=000000&hrn=000000&hdm=000000&hdl=000000&ey=FFAA00&er=000000&pi=000000&nk=000000&ch=000000&abs=000000&bt=000000&btd=000000&cod=000000&ull=000000&lll=000000&lft=000000&url=000000&lrl=000000&rft=000000&slt=E33030&sli=000000&srt=E33030&sri=000000&ula=000000&lel=000000&lla=000000&lh=000000&ura=000000&rel=000000&rla=000000&rh=000000&ri=FF0000&tr=E33030&bg=FFFFFF&rb=000000&gr=737373&grid=TRUE&

You didn't paint the tubes a different color. I swear the tubing and hand grips and behind the knees is a dark reddish brown. At least that is my interpretation. I think I did the Hakanor's Reavers black maybe but these guys are clearly not black, not red, and not gold, but some dark color.

Archived