The Grey Death Chapter

Grey_Death

Well I've been somewhat side tracked with a table I'm building, but in the meantime I've also been hammering away at an idea for my chapter badge.

Here's how the brainstorming went :teehee::

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/raynotisick/chapterbadgebrainstorm.jpg

After that I started trying to solidify something. And eventually came out with this stuff:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/raynotisick/chapterbadgeworksheet.jpg

I'm not sold on anything just yet, and there are a lot of ideas still unexplored on the brainstorming side. I just wanted to see what some of you folks might think of what I've got on these two pages :drool:.

so is your chapter going to be called the Grey Death?

It helps i guess when narrowing down a name, but i do like the side view of the skull withing the upside down triangle, or within the stripe. You don't see a sideways skull that much, plus the fact that it is also looking down, looks cool too. As far as the other ideas go...i also like the wraith with scythe silohettes. They are very appealing.

Hey Tex...lookin' good! For the chapter symbol...don;t rush it. It took me 2 years to come up with mine, and I'm very happy with it.

Personally, I like the skull with the vertical lines...the sideways skull makes it look too much like Revilers.

You need to get up this way for a little gray-on-gray action.

Hey all, Thanks for the replies :tu:.

These sketches are just a brainstorming attempt. If you look, I even have considered renaming the chapter. I couldn't come up with much that was worth while though >.>. At the same time I was also considering what chapter they are coming from. Trying to flesh them out a bit in terms of fluff. I can't really control what my mind comes up with some days and that's where the horse and wagon came from >.>...I let my mind roam when I do stuff like this. The winged skull was really just an attempt to get the juices flowing.

I also realize that the sideways skull is very (see: almost identical) to the Revilers. This sprouted from successor considerations ;). I haven't 100% made up my mind and will most likely do some more in depth research before I make up my mind on Chapter Succession.

I am going to be waiting until everything is painted before I start making final decisions on the chapter badge though, I just thought it would be cool to show the progression of one :o. And any feedback I could get would definitely be super helpful and it has been ;).

Oh and Lunch, you are definitely on ^_^. Once I get this first 1k finished >.>...Oh and what store? I was just up in Fort Worth this past weekend and hit up two shops off 20.

Oh and Lunch, you are definitely on ;). Once I get this first 1k finished >.>...Oh and what store? I was just up in Fort Worth this past weekend and hit up two shops off 20.

Don't you ever...EVER...come to DFW without PM'ing me first to let me know. I don't generally go to any shops, except for the occasional run up to the GW store in Grapevine Mills...which is at least an hour away. I have boards, terrain, and 300 points of...well...GRAY DEATH!

yeah games are at Lunchbox's that way you can have your beverage of choice and not the over priced ones that just water down with ice. and for the record Lunchbox I was out there too getting all my stuff from storage but it was a quick trip as I was in two large point games out in texarkana also

• 1 month later...

New model has been started.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/raynotisick/IMG_0490-1.jpg

Been hard pressed to find time to sit down and do much modeling as of late. Too much studying, not enough time.

C&C welcome as always.

'Yay!' for the old metal scouts. They look much better than the new plastic ones.

I love what you have done with the lenses. Very nice effect. :P

I think the old metals are awesome. I haven't had any experience with the new plastics yet, but just being plastic is a virtue in and of its own. More chances for conversions across the board. But the amount of detail on the metals really can't be beat.

The lens effect is pretty much the standard across the board for this army now. Expect to see it a lot :D

Second the Yay! :)

And I love the Beard even more than the lenses! is that GSed? Or just cunningly painted-on?

The beard is just cleverly painted on. I went with a normal brown to flesh highlight scheme and then came back over with codex grey, which was then highlighted with a codex grey + elf flesh highlight. It's easy and simple. It's up to the painter though to be able to pick out the proper placement of the beard :D.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to tie the pants and other details into the army I'm all ears right now. I've got an idea of how I want to do the cloak already, I just have to see how it works out in practice.

Need some feedback on the direction of the cloak.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/raynotisick/IMG_0491-1.jpg

I'm not sold on it yet. But I also can't come up with anything better right now either. Should I keep it up or go a different direction completely?

The cloak looks good, and suits how the figures are based. Once you weather it in a similar style to the legs of your other figures it'll look great. Nice army by the way, even though they do look quite similar to the revilers, especially if you use the skull icon.

another quick swatch idea. Possibly using the same weathering method from the marine boots for the entire of the cloak.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/raynotisick/camo2.jpg

I think this is more in line with my original intentions. I think it got mixed up in my mind when I started thinking of possibly going with a digital pattern. Unfortunately digital patterns have MANY more color variations than what I've gone with here and am willing to do for a 25mm model x.x...

I like the pattern you have on the model already. Maybe think about adding in another color to it, possibly something lighter like a bleached bone or a variation of it.

Digital camo is difficult to get to look good on such a small model, but I think you are headed in the right direction. Add in another color to see how it looks before you scrap the pattern you have.

Renn

ive circled the ones i really like. if you want i could jot down a few ideas for you as well but let me know anyways. the scout camo is perfect, i love it. in my opinion stick with that as your execution is spot on. with regards to the other swatches the last one you did was my 2nd favourite.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/untitled1.jpg

Well thanks to the support of the original camo scheme, I decided to roll with it and see where I went. And I'm happy to say I'm rather pleased with the results. I went back in with a darker color (black + bestial brown) and it added that little bit of extra that I was looking for, and gave me a chance to break up the pattern a bit more. I also went back with a dark wash to help shade the folds more. This was something I should have done before going in and camo'ing but it works just as well now.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/raynotisick/snipercamo1.jpg

Thoughts?

I also did some more brain storming today. Again, I just let my mind wander and whatever came up I drew it. These aren't all necessarily appropriate for the Grey Death Legion, I just don't limit where my mind roams in moments like these :ph34r:.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/raynotisick/chapterbadgebrainstorm2.jpg

I'm not sure if I see any that fit the bill yet. But I'll keep workin on them!

And thanks for the kind words Mech :).

edit: and yes, that is a turtle. don't mind him >.>...

Archived