The Grey Death Chapter

Grey_Death

I love the stylised skull on the bottom left. I also liked the skulls in the triangle. I think the key is to keep it simple and by doing a universal icon such as a skull and adding your own twist by making a characteristic stylized version of it you have managed to do just that. I can't remember, but didn't you want to the skull in orange or red? That would make it really stand out as "your own" and immediately recognizable as the Grey Death Legion.

Stick to the skull I say. ;)

Oh, and i love the turtle :P

I like the 8th symbol in the top row, and the 2nd symbol in the last row. They all seem to fit in with the chapter scheme (any fluff by the way???).

I'm really starting to feel the pull of that reaper icon. I went about making it simpler from the first round of brainstorming by creating it in simple shapes that I could paint much easier, as well as give a better feel for a unit insignia than a painting on the shoulder pad.

As for fluff, there is only one piece of actual fluff I've written for these guys and it's on the first page of the thread, you have to scroll down a bit to find it, it's in the middle of an update. Everything else is in vague thoughts and ideas in my head. I will definitely have to remedy some of that and really get a better idea as to what kind of background I'm going to push with these guys. You would figure I'd have all that figured out since I've had the same Army since junior year in high school...25 now, and I still haven't figured it all out!

I love the stylised skull on the bottom left. I also liked the skulls in the triangle. I think the key is to keep it simple and by doing a universal icon such as a skull and adding your own twist by making a characteristic stylized version of it you have managed to do just that. I can't remember, but didn't you want to the skull in orange or red? That would make it really stand out as "your own" and immediately recognizable as the Grey Death Legion.

Stick to the skull I say. ;)

Oh, and i love the turtle :)

I think the problem I'm running into with the skull is that people automatically see the sideways skull and think Revilers. Well that and my guys are grey with a skull icon >.>...But if I did end up putting a red background to it (see: battletech) it would pull it more away from that reference, while still making it different from the Battletech Gray Death Legion at the same time.

And Turtle's = Hardcore.

Nice work so far!

In hindsight I probably should have done the same thing (painting my own symbol). As it is I think GW discontinued the size skull decal I need.

Anyways, good looking stuff :huh:

the scout sniper looks just prefect. 10 / 10. keep going, paint more models the same way as you have done this scout. it really doesnt need any alteration. the final choice for the DPM is spot on with the 3rd colour and it does indeed break up the pattern very nicely.

good luck with the rest of the squad. you know youre making me think more about painting some of my horde of DA, their allies and my Fallen. anyways happy xmas mate.

Thanks for all of the kind words folks :cuss I really appreciate the feedback on the final product.

I did consider putting the badge in black, but my secondary color for the army is white (see: other models in the army), and painting the badge in white would really give me a chance to pull even more detail into models that have just normal shoulder pads without much detail at all. This ties in more with the color scheme for me.

There probably won't be a squad worth of these guys for some time. They're not even technically part of the army I have a list for right now x.x. But I wanted to paint this guy really bad after doing a one off sniper for a painting competition. But it definitely helps me out because I get to do things like finish my chapter badge :).

ok this is slightly off topic but it seems appropriate as were discussing a space marine scout sniper.

sniper motto - (reach out and touch someone)

sniper maxims - the 3 L's (location, location, location), the 3 S's (shape, shine,silhouette), (1 shot, 1 kill), (no civilians), (after neutralizing a target always relocate), (and finally, always have an escape and evasion strategy)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, go boredom and painters block.

I've started another Veteran Marine. I still need to finish the scout sniper, but unfortunately I'm at a loss for what color the cloth bits need to be and without that little piece of info, it's sort of a pain to finish the model x.x. I'm trying to keep a limited palette with him. If anyone has any ideas, please, feel free to let me know!

So yeah, some base grey laid down on the new guy.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/raynotisick/newvet.jpg

Stripping an old captain model as well. He suffers...

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/raynotisick/IMG_0500-1.jpg

Nicely done.

I also am GreyDeath and I also Have a Greydeath Chapter so

I was watching how you did yours.

Looks good and your artistic talents are very good.

I look forward to seeing this army completed.

Thanks a ton for the compliments :cuss. I hope some of what I've put down here helps out any and all Grey Death armies out there!

I still need to finish the scout sniper, but unfortunately I'm at a loss for what color the cloth bits need to be and without that little piece of info, it's sort of a pain to finish the model x.x.

How about the simplest. white... well actually if you primed the model black then that would be the simplest... but yeah white... maybe with a bit of a flesh color added.

or even a light brown say kommando khakhi (sp) highlighting by adding white to the colour as you go...

yeah, those suggestions are very basic and it wouldnt take much to think them up, but you never know if you dont try

hey heres another suggestion... GREY!

like painted white and then wash it black. it will come up with a darker grey than your codex grey. I used the same method on my Imperial orbital station defenders.

hope i helped :rolleyes:

I'd say do the tabards with a white core and a dark grey and red trim. :lol:

Great work thus far. I was really impressed with the original test mini and these guys are coming along nicely. The icon is very inventive Great job. ;)

• 3 months later...

Archived