Storm Ghosts

larundel

Nice work on your Marines, larundel.

I'm not sure on fluff-writing. There is a forum here at the B&C for Do-it-yourself chapters, down with the forums for the Chapters of Legend. You might want to grub around in there.

As for urban combat Marines, I can share some of my experience with urban combat preparations in the real world.

Grenades. Grenades are an urban fighter's best friend and greatest enemy. Nothing kills faster in close quarters. Nothing. I'd be sure to kit out your boys with as many grenades as you can.

Short-barreled weapons. A smaller weapon is much easier to use in urban combat. Do a search for Lord Magyar's "Chapter 999" here. He's got some awesome examples of troops with snub-nosed bolters you may like. You may also want to attach pistols in holsters to some of your guys for a similar effect, especially your heavy weapons. A heavy machine gun is great for levelling a building from the outside, but utter garbage once you're inside.

Lights and sights. If you're going for a urban fighting look, you can't have too many of these. Nothing says "crazy SWAT stereotype" like an underslung flashlight and lasers on everything. Night vision wouldn't hurt either, but is hard to pull off on a Marine helmet. Maybe use the heads with targeting reticles over one eye?

That's just a couple ideas. I'm digging the one example you have, with his M203-esque bolter.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

thanks for the kind words and inspiration i need...i also like what i have done to the bolter...more will follow with drum mags and with green stuff im modalling the ammo feeds for them, as currently i have one heavy bolter, which when i have finished writing my story will explain that it was taken off a predator and converted for marine use by a techmarine...hehe.

i have had a look for the chaper name you gave me, but seem to cant find it, if you have a link or know exactly where it is this would be a great help.

currently i have 8 men done, includeing my vet sargent you saw, they still need some work but hopefully over the weekend ill find afew hours to pla around with them and come up with some more weapon designs.

its ok i found it now...just have a look throught it now and seeing what i can do....thanks again, ill have some pics for you in the next 2 or three days.

here is the pic i promised....still got alot of work to do...like adding pips and feeds to weapons, webbing around legs to hold pistols and knifes.

C and C welcome

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/larundel/Photo-0001.jpg

well as you might have guessed my marine chaper is slightly changed...and the time between posts has been used to finish afew more marines...in total i have about twenty marines that are awaiting painting and afew more on the drewing board....and as my marines are urban, i was thinking that they may need a new colour scheme and was just wondering if anyone had an ideas.

any help you can give will be great...thanks.

below you will find the new colour scheem for the marines...please note that this is only the grey for the armour and that pouches and holsters are featured quite heavily on my marines, these will be painted a leather or sand colour adding more charactor to individual marines.

C & C welcome as always.

sm.php?bpe=998E8E&bpj=998E8E&bp=4F4646&bpc=998E8E&hdt=4F4646&hdm=4F4646&hdl=4F4646&ey=EDD207&er=4F4646&pi=000000&nk=4F4646&ch=4F4646&eg=14A8A3&sk=14A8A3&abs=4F4646&bt=4F4646&cod=4F4646&ull=4F4646&lk=4F4646&lll=4F4646&lft=4F4646&url=4F4646&rk=4F4646&lrl=4F4646&rft=4F4646&slt=4F4646&sli=4F4646&srt=4F4646&sri=14A8A3&ula=4F4646&lel=4F4646&lla=4F4646&lw=4F4646&lh=4F4646&ura=4F4646&rel=4F4646&rla=4F4646&rw=4F4646&rh=4F4646&bg=FFFFFF&rb=000000&gr=998E8E&wg=true&be=BBBBCC&hsk=true&hs=FFFFFF&aq=true&chps=CC0000&bpr=9E2121&cs=9E2121&krk=CC0000&spl1=533B1C&spl2=533B1C&spr2=533B1C&

(edit) i have also decided that some of my marines will have cut down bolters to give more of an urban combat feel, these will look like the P90 and of course will be hanging from there chests from harnesses i plan to make with greenstuff as well i plan to make a bolter with a longer barrell and a drum mag to look like the modern day squad automatic weapons. does anyone have an ideas on how i could make a shotgun for my marines too?

well i havent posted much lately on the progress of my DIY chapter, and would like to do so before i go get some sleep, funnily i do my best thinking when asleep and wake up with some brill ideas. anyway here are the marines i have at the moment and im currently working on a further 8. enjoy.

please note that these guys have some more work to be done on them like adding piping and webbing.

C&C welcome.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/larundel/Photo-0013.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/larundel/Photo-0011.jpghttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/larundel/Photo-0009.jpghttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/larundel/Photo-0008.jpg

i been playing for about 10years now....and yes i started with ultramarines....then another chapter of my own.....and i have kinda got to the point were i want to do my own chapter with all the extra and have also been into the modern warfare scene, so decided to link the two and come up with these guys...i know they dont have any paint yet...but that will happen over easter when i got some free time on my hands and not so much uni work.

For shotguns, you can try picking up a few of the SM Scout shotgun arms. They're often dirt cheap on eBay, as most people won't use them. Not sure if they fit a normal Marine hand or not, having never seenone in person. You could also glue the grips you removed from bolters to the front underside of a shotty for a modern assault shotgun look.

well i just stripped the paint off my command squad that was posted earlier (thank god for fairy power spray) and hopefully over the weekend ill do some converting and get that squad as well as a secound squad of men completed, pics will be posted if i get them done...LL

well its been some time and i have some more models done, and some sprayed black, the following is a new test render of the colours i am going to be using.

smbeta2.php?bpe=A69A9A&bpj=A69A9A&bp=A69A9A&bpc=3A4A32&hdt=FFFFFF&hdm=FFFFFF&hdl=FFFFFF&ey=E8C30C&er=FFFFFF&pi=FFFFFF&nk=3A4A32&ch=3A4A32&eg=A69A9A&sk=A69A9A&abs=3A4A32&bt=3A4A32&cod=3A4A32&ull=3A4A32&lk=3A4A32&lll=3A4A32&lft=3A4A32&url=3A4A32&rk=3A4A32&lrl=3A4A32&rft=3A4A32&slt=000000&sli=3A4A32&srt=000000&sri=3A4A32&ula=3A4A32&lel=3A4A32&lla=3A4A32&lw=3A4A32&lh=3A4A32&ura=3A4A32&rel=3A4A32&rla=3A4A32&rw=3A4A32&rh=3A4A32&bg=FFFFFF&rb=000000&gr=A69A9A&wg=true&be=A69A9A&aq=true&ti=FFFFFF&bpr=A12A2A&frag=00AA00&krk=CC0000&pfr=456644&spl2=533B1C&spr2=533B1C&

i have used charadon granite for the main armour of the marine with all the normal colours you would expect to find on a marine.

the following 4 pics are off the test marine which is my vet. sargent for a tactical squad. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/larundel/Photo-0002.jpghttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/larundel/Photo-0005.jpghttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/larundel/Photo-0004.jpghttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/larundel/Photo-0003.jpg

C & C welcome as usual. (let me know what you think)

well painting and building is coming along smoothly, spend afew hours today doing things to my marines, and hopefully should have some updates for you with loads of pics in the next couple of days.

i have been wondering about the organisation around my marnes and come to the idea of a sold fire base of marines supported by mobile units like landspeeders, and as my unit is like a city fight army and based around modern day armed forces, i was wondering if i should keep my landspeeds as they are or make them like dune buggy's, and if that is an idea does anyone know where i could get a guide to building such a thing?

[edit] i also saw awhile back in a copy of WD someone did a airborn calvery army with imperial guard and made a landspeeder into a troop transport, if anyone has that copy, could they please scan the pages in for me, as i would like to attempt something like that for marines. thanks.

i beleive i know what you are talking about.....i guess i could go with that design, make it longer and put two gunners and either side like off black hawk dwn, now that would look cool.

now what about buggys of some sort.

thanks ShinyRhino i just had a look at it, and yes it is the page i remember...like i said im thinking of taking the conversiton with the heavy bolters on the side but making the crew carpartment larger to hold about 6 to 8 marines.

From what I'm visualizing in my head, it sounds cool. But when extending the landsppeder body that far, I'd recommend some sort of sandwich deck construction. Take a double set of your chosen flooring (I think the site used Rhino doors?), and reinforce with lengths of sprue bars or something similar. Otherwise, the long body will most certainly bow or snap!

The heavy bolter door gunners sound awesome.

i saw something simular awhile back from someone doing the same sort of thing as me but with dark angels, but hopefully after easter i will be able to play around with my idea and come up with something.

i been working on the marines and im coming up short on weapon ideas....does anyone have any surgestions?

What have you done for weapons so far? In looking at the scout shotguns, they don't look usable by regualr Marines without looking odd. The grip is molded into a scuot hand, and removing it to be held in a Marine hand makes itlook tiny and flimsy, IMO.

well i have the bolter with the underslung grenade launcher, afew guys with bolt pistols and bolters, a heave bolter guy and afew guns that look like modern squad automatic weapons. i come to the same conclusion with the shotguns and i think i have an idea that may work, with putting a shotgun under a bolter, with the normal hand guard removed.

and no comments yet about my test marine.... :D

i have been doing alot of work on my marines today and i am almost ready to post some pics up of about 11 marines i have been working on over the past week but i have a question for everyone.

given the colours and the layout i am using for my marines, what is the best way to go about adding squad colours or markings?

i am almost finished with my command squad, devestaor and assult squad, but im still wondering about colours to tell the differance between veterans and command squad members, if anyone can help i would be greatful.

should have some pics up by the end of the night.

(EDIT) also if any one can point me in the direction of how to change a landspeeder into a buggy would be great, as i could take that idea and make t look like the warthog off halo....hehe...it would be greatly appreciated....:evil:

well im still on my quest to make a modern day representation of are soliders with space marines and as no one seems to want to comment on my last couple of entries, i have two options leaving this thread to die or carrying on, i never back down from anything so i guess ill carry this one.

in my last entry i asked about making a buggy from a landspeeder, and i have found just what i am lookng for.

http://www.dropship.org.uk/images/panther03s.jpghttp://www.dropship.org.uk/images/panther04s.jpg

i am going to be using this as a general idea, but for tornados i will be cutting off the back and mounting a assult cannon on a swithal platform much like the much loved warthog from halo, and having the passanger in the front opperating the secound heavy weapon.

http://host.trivialbeing.org/up/weta-warthog-halo.jpg

heres a run down of what im going to be doing using the designs above. (crew wise)

landspeeder - 1 driver, 1 passanger with personal weapon, on the back gun operator

landspeeder tornado - 1 driver, 1 passanger with heavy weapon, on the back gun operator.

landspeeder typhoon - 1 driver, 1 passanger with heavy weapon, on the back gun operator. (going to make a multi barrell rocket launcher in place of the normal rocket pods.

let me know what you think of my ideas, and im looking to get the parts on saturday and start making this. C and C welcome as always.

Archived