Modelling: Doghouse Pattern Truescale Marines

Doghouse

Next you attach your chest plate to the torso. To get this at the right height you need to place this so that the bottom of the chest plate is level with the crescent shape on the torso.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture016-4.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture017-3.jpg

Now the main reason that I've done it this way is to get the proportions correct. If you simply used the back of a regular marine torso which no-doubt some are concidering at this point the torso will be too short proportionally and it'll look wrong.

So this part here

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture016-5.jpg

is level with this crescent shape here.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture011-9.jpg

That's it for tonight as I'm shattered and gonna hit the sack.

Tomorrow I'll show you two different methods for the abdominal region so stay tuned. :D

Hi Doghouse,

I had something to ask but can't remeber for the life of me what it was... never mind. It'll come to me later.

I did this technique myself a while ago (when the new DA kits came out and i had spare termi legs), i think this was about the same time as you were inventing it. Here's a tip i thought i'd share: If you are going to model robes out of GS onto your model, you can use a straight marine torso. When you model on the robes you bulk up the body enough around the shoulders and waist so as it looks in scale.

Al

EDIT: i remembered! With using vaseline, i'm guessing you de-grease the model before priming? What do you use to do this?

Edited by Alys Dwr

Damn you doghouse. :D Im kidding. nice work though. Im gonna do my own torso as I dont have a TDA back. I had some spare legs and arms but thats it, and some marine bitz. Any ideas? Anyone? Hello?

thanks for taking the time to make this Doghouse, i know you have laods of projects at this time - it must be difficult to keep it all in balance!

loving the tut - im considering making a truescaled Combat Patrol army...for the look on my foe's faces :D

good thing i have 10 AoBR Termies in front of me...

thanks again dude, bets of luck with everything!

<<Damascus>>

Looks good, mate, altho the idea of making a whole Marine army from plastic Termies makes my wallet cringe... I think one big thing that needs to be accounted in fluff-accurate true-scale Marines is the head size... simply put, the Marine plastics have giant noggins! Smaller heads would make it easier to make them look hulking, as well as improving the overall scale...

I was thinking of making an honour guard squad or pre-heresy squad with these guys, but fleshing it out into a whole army seemed a bit too pricey to me as well. I love that Doghouse is using the AoBR termies now though. Considering a regular terminator squad runs for what, $50?, spending $60 for all the extra goodies doesn't seem too bad.

And there's always e-baying off the orks and other space marines if you want to make it cost a bit less ;)

Ah, true scale/actual scale marines at their best! I'm thinking of doing some of them for my blood angels to count as the named charactors, but am sur will end up doing them for all chapters i collect as HQ models. just wondered if we could get a pic of the back of one of your finished models, am just wondering about the back packs and jump packs, may need to be making one of these a little bigger!

Would it be alright if i posted a pic of a marine i made that a few of your ideas inspired?

Hes not exactly "true scale" but hes bigger that a normal marine, i wanted to try making a

bigger marine to see if i could do it and then started making his background story explaining

why hes big and his life as a marine and i really like how he turned out.

Thanks Doghouse.

I think i'm gonna do a true scale Legion of the damned squad in honor of their new introduction into the codex. I'll even name the sergeant after you (though Sergeant Doghouse would kinda be awkward to explain to the guys at the bunker).

Emperor bless you!

--Sergeant Centurius--

Sorry to hear you're sick Doghouse. I believe I got the flu around the same time you did, and I was on this thread the last time you were posting, so I'll assume I got the flu from you. Thanks for that :D

Get better soon, because if there's another 6 month gap in your updating of the tutorial I wall cry like a little girl(and I'm a boy, so that would be a particularly sad thing to see).

Doghouse: I will give your cool conversion idea a go Doghouse and use them as primarchs for my GW sized table top army! Thanks for all the effort you put in dude, really helps lay people such as myself enjoy the conversion side of the modelling!

Brother Antio: Dude, absolutely love your caption at the bottom of your thread, really made me laugh!

Firenze: May be able to get away with using greenstuff if you are feeeling adventurous or bulking out a regular marine back half of a torso I guess.

BrotherDamascus: At the moment I've got an army of these guys on the go, an Ork army for a campaign and my own gamesystem/miniatures line I'm working on.

Trying to fit any of this in with a hectic real life is tough at the best of time but I do try to get as much of this tutorial done as possible as I want to get it finished.

Prometheum5: Totally agree with you there mate. This tutorial proportions them to fit the heads basically which just happens to be around the right height compared to a guardsman model.

JekCromium: Don't forget there is always places like the warstore where you can buy AoBR squads seperately. Truescaling is a niche area of a niche hobby. Generally it's more of a modeling thing than a wargaming one as people tend to do individual models, but there are armies emerging made up entirely of these guys now which is great! :(

Brother Antio: I'm going to try and get the next part of the tutorial up this weekend (I hope) so i'll see what I can do for you mate! :)

Shaun Carlin: Of course you can mate! :)

Although I'm putting together the basic tutorial in this thread I've no objection what so ever to people posting their own Actual scale models that they have built in this thread.

Once the basics are in place I'll be putting up more advanced ideas so any different methods are welcome.

Sergeant Centurius: Sounds good to me mate! Perhaps you could use my real name instead, it's "Soulflayer" ;)

(Ok so technically that's a lie but Sergeant "Steve" doesn't sound as scarey...)

JekCromium: I reckon I should get a comission from Nurgle in that case...Flu has mostly gone but I'm left with a chest infection and a hacking cough that isn't nice. Everytime I laugh I go into a twenty minute coughing fit.

Don't worry it'll be updated soon, hopefully like I say the weekend with any luck.

Dorns padawan: You're wlecome mate! These guys would be perfect for the basis of a Primarch as it'd be the right scale for regular plastic marines.

On the downside I'm now too frightened to look at Brother Antio's signature for fear of spending the next twenty minutes coughing... :RTBBB:

Presenting Brother Quintus Maximus.

http://i36.tinypic.com/4jstn4.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/9stpw0.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/29l23pd.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/4io8dz.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/1551kec.jpg

(other models shown for size comparison)

I have more pictures and will post them on request.

I remember the book nightbringer where there was a marine in it who was so large

that power armour wouldn't fit him so a techmarine made him a suit out of spare

terminator parts and combined them with power armour bits to make his suit.

With that story and elements of Doghouse's bigger marine tutorial I made

This big guy who will be a stearnguard Vet when I get around to painting him.

Thanks Doghouse for a great tutorial :huh:

Let me know what you guys think of him

Edited by Shaun Carlin

looks ausome love the way that everyone is using the terminator ammo clips for sternguard vets much bigger than i was expecting too

ooh that bolter is half of a stormbolter attatched to a bolter isnt it?