Mantis Warriors

Doghouse

Thanks mate. :)

Yeah finecast is actually really nice to work with compared to regular resin, the main problem seems to be hit or miss castings which is a shame because the detail you get is amazing in some cases. Trick seems to be getting a nice one although having said that out of the thirty or forty models I've bought I've only had one that was poorly cast.

I tend to use both a saw and a regular scalpel blade, the scalpel is great for carving and with some care I easily carved out the necks on these guys so I could stick the new heads in.

I must admit single pose models are a bit of an obsession with me mainly because you have to really push yourself in terms of converting and really try and get the old grey cells working. I do enjoy working with multi-part kits as much as the next guy but as I want to improve my modelling skills a challenge like this is a great learning curve.

Cheers guys! :)

Gitsplitta: I'm taking a leaf out of the Space Marine game book on this guy and adding some stylised parts like knee pads that should make him stand out a bit more with any luck.

Brother Syth: I certainly hope so! :mellow:

I popped into GW Basingstoke and managed to snag two more Crowe models as this weeks addition to the squad. This gives me my initial target of six models so I will now crack on with them in earnest.

Brother dean: I could probably do it myself but that'd be cheating... :lol:

I prefer to convert stock models rather than casting models, the truth being that if I was going to go to all that trouble I'd be much better off sculpting the model from scratch.

interkino: Thanks mate, if someone takes inspiration from the models that I post then it sincerely makes it worth my while to show them here. :lol:

Bit of an update, started the GS work on the new guy. I'm currently prepping the two new guys at the moment but hope to get some proper progress pictures at the weekend.

http://i41.tinypic.com/rh5zlv.jpg

He looks great !

Nice to see you updating this thread regularly. Please keep it that way :P

I must also add that my local hobby shop owner loves it when you come up with a new and innovative way to scale up marines. My wallet hurts a little more every time. Thank God that I don't work at anywhere near the pace you do. The new marine looks fantastic by the way. I'm thinking of doing my Stern Guard this way to differentiate them a little more. Thanks as always for sharing your brilliance with us. I am betting that you have some sort of plan to convert the new Minotaurs officers from Forge World, please share them with us if you decide to do something with them. I know that they have my wheels turning already. I only wish that you did commissions. I would give anything to have just one marine converted/created by yourself. Please PM me if you take an interest in special projects, I will definitely make it worth your time and effort.

Cheers guys. :)

batu: At the moment I only have interest in these guys so progress should be fairly steady.

YoungWolf7: Fortunately for me, financially speaking, I don't stop by that often and when I do I only spend about thirty quid tops. If they had a bigger finecast stock and range that might change though. :D

Dorns_fist: Thanks mate but it's just practice really and I think that there are far better modellers out there than me. :D

mikhail: I apologise for your financial losses mate. :D

I really wish I could do commission stuff as I do go out of my way to help people with their conversions but I always get bogged down doing bits for people and more often than not end up out of pocket. :(

Marshal2 Crusaders: I appreciate the compliment, I think it's being an RT player that got me started on conversions mainly because if we wanted something most of the time we had to build it from scratch. Basically that's what taught me to think outside the box I guess but I do admit this kind of thing is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. :D

I'll try and get another update today with any luck but am just off to check out the new paints.

Thank mate. :D

The modifications I'm making to the torsos and the re-positioning of the heads should compensate for the single leg positions plus I will be altering a few of the legs to add a little diversity to the squad. Sometimes subtle differences work better than overt ones as I hope will be the case here. It's not really that different to the mulitpart plastic marines where I think you only get something like three leg positions, I personally think the key is going to be altering the flow of the cloaks more than anything else as that is the most organic part of the model in terms of movement.

Dude I'm quite new to the site and have only just seen your marines. Massively impressed bud. I'm not a great converter of models but you clearly are. Really like the paint jobs as well I have always been a big fan of models who have realism but also have a graphic novel look to them, which yours have. Epic work mate.

Just a quick update.

Started to re-position the latest guy so that he is in more of a building up to a combat run type pose. Still early days but I think that I can pull it off.

http://i41.tinypic.com/iz3xq0.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/15qajqw.jpg

Good work on the repositioning - by the look of it that was done with one cut (and a little trimming of excess stone and cloak material), am I close?

Cheers guys! :D

Olisredan: Pretty much spot on mate. I just sliced the leg and re-positioned it so that he was leaning forward then cut away the inside leg where the cloak wraps around the lower leg area. I'll be adding a little bit to the cloak so that it looks as though it's beginning to flow back a bit. I'm trying to get the flow of the cloak so he is just stepping forward on his combat run.

For the second new guy I'm being a little more ambitious but it's coming along nicely at the moment, I'll try and get some shots up later with any luck.

Just another quick update.

Got the bolter in place for the first guy but had to swap arms in order to make it work as it influenced the flow of the cloak too much under his left arm. Just got to add the strap then begin cleaning up the armour and adding the detailing.

I've also got the second guy up to the stage where I'm going to start GSing, for originally being a static model he's really starting to come together now. I'm treating each as a hero character in his own right so stuck the crest on his head to make him stand out a little more from his brothers.

http://i44.tinypic.com/xppqv4.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/29peyx3.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/ohk9w2.jpg

Archived