Mantis Warriors

Doghouse

Thanks guys! :P

Pulse: Yeah they're getting there, a bit slower than I hoped though. It's difficult finding the time to get anything done at the moment and I'm having to work in rapid bursts.

I have promised Digits from the Ammobunker that I'd take on his undead guard with the CSK(od) at Warhammer World in the not too distant future so they are getting the most attention at the moment.

Paladin7221: I'm glad you liked it mate, I was pretty tired when I wrote it was a little worried that it'd wouldn't be any good.

I think it makes it a bit more interesting to see the characters in action rather than me just giving a description. I'm no Dan Abnett but it is fun working in all the background material and the models themselves into the stories.

Marshall Costello: I'm guessing that you mean the discolouration on the tracks? I painted them black them gave them a couple of drybrushes of boltgun metal before going over it with watered down chaos black them when it was thoroughly dry watered down scorched brown. I then drybrushed with snakebite leather then again with a snakebite leather/skull white mix.

LoneWolven : Thanks mate!

Marshall Costello: You're welcome! :blink:

Update time!

Just a quick one. Here is the first of my Sternguard squad (probably the first ever Sternguard macragge marine conversion) Brother-Sergeant Tarven. The model was made from the standard BfM like his brothers, the ammo clip from a leftover stormbolter, the devastator sergeant head, a dark angels studded pad and some blades from a chainsword.

I've still got some bits to add yet though. The idea is that rather than have a shaven head like the others Tarven hasn't had time to clean up before being plunged back into battle so he's got hair and will have facial stubble as well.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture180.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture181.jpg

well i have never really commented your work but wow u can paint and certainly convert

well i have been reading the post about the new starter set with all the marine goodness (snap fit termies and dred woo) and i can see now how easy it will be to convert the snap fit models wen i get it lol

kepp up the good work and i shall be trackin' the mantis warriors now lol

jim

Cheers guys! :P

I think the key to this army is going to be subtlety. The poses are fairly limited but it's amazing what you can achieve with a head swop or the addition of extra equipment. What I hope to achieve is an army that looks uniform but on closer inspection all the little cool conversions become apparent.

Hopefully more soon. :)

Good god (Emperor :P ) Doghouse, does your talent know no limits? Whilst everyone else is salivating over the pictures, you've gone and made one, in plastic, from spare bits!!! Madness!!!

This is Doghouse!

My first thought on this was not so generous... but the more i look at your army the more i like me... Great work man! Cant w8 to see your dread.

Thanks guys! :P

The Sternguard

I know have a bit fo a dillema. I want to do something different for the Sternguard but move away from what was set down in the Warrior Coven/Brood books as I'm not really a fan of the direction he took them.

I'm not really comfortable with saying "this is the way the first company is" and so this is the rough draft of how I feel the Tranquility campaign colours can be updated. It's basically a simple reversal of the colour scheme but I feel it looks ok so far.

What do you think, should they be in the camo scheme posted a few pages back or this new reversed colour scheme? It'd be yellow with green markings.

I've seen a couple of chapters like the Imperial Fists do this in the past.

spacemarine.jpg

Thanks mate! :D

Forgot to mention I'm thinking of adding more campaign specific honours than the regular guys to customise them a little.

Basicaly the idea is that anyone sporting the wrist blades fought in the purging of Valgard Primus, the wrist blades were adapted as a secondary close combat that allowed the Astartes to use their bolters whilst fighting the Hrud in the tunnels of the main industrial complex.

Anyone with skulls fought the Varidian Campaign supressing a human rebellion that was aided by the Ork Blood Axe Clan, those that fought during the scouring of the Tarsis colonies wear a modifed Mk III style armour that was added to protect them from the leathal scything attacks of the previously unencountered xeno terror the Ghouls of Tarsis Secundus.

The tactical squad markings will vary between members of the same squad as well, each bearing the markings that were worn during a particulary successful past engagement and so on along with litanies of faith or vengeance.

It should in the end create a force of individuals out of the otherwise rather uniform BfM Marines, each with their own individual histories. You can look at a squad of marines and tell who fought in what engagement and alongside whatever brothers share the same honours.

The yellow and green could definitely work, just subdue the yellow and make it a little on the pale side (i.e. highlights with bleached bones or pale yellows etc) so that the two colors arn't competing for your eyes attention

by the way, these look great!

Thanks mate! :cry:

I'm thinking of going for a Vomit Brown basecoat and building it up from there to yellow.

Quick Update time

I've seriously had hardly anytime to get anything done recently (lousey real world!!!) but have started a second Sternguard.

I've used the Deathwatch pad to make him a bit more gothic looking, added the bigger magazine to the bolter and added a gorget to the neck. I'll also be adding a bolter strap and few other bits.

I've also removed the Dark Angels icon from the rope on Tarven's studded pad and added a teminator honour instead.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture182.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture183.jpg

Looking good - as always.

For your Sternguard: Why not paint them up as Tranquility Campaign snipers? They have specialized bolters and in power armor - just like the Tranquility sniper unit. You could even use them as a sniper unit that "counts as" Sternguard.

P.S. Don't forget the Imperialis!

The skull with wings was the symbol of all the good guys at the Heresy, and given how cursed the Lamenters and the Mantis Warriors are, they might want to go over the top with showing what side they are on.

Cheers guys! :lol:

Bannus: That's not a bad idea given the new rules.

Nemfx: The Lamenters were one of the cursed founding but the Mantis Warriors are regular marines. Given that they were granted the Emperor's Forgiveness on completion of a penitent crusade it's extremely unlikely that they turned to chaos and so would most probably kept their Imperial insignia.

The most plausible explaination is that they were convinced by Huron that the Adeptus Mechanicus were the bad guys trying to suppress the Astartes autonomy. :)

Archived