=][= ASSAULT ON BLACK REACH PAINTING COMP =][=

Everything is up and ready:

Ok guys, the 600 or so pictures are upload and ready for you to start voting on.

For Marines you can -

View them here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=147809

Vote for them here: http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35879

For Orks you can -

View them here: http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35867

vote for them here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=148070

I'm getting a "404 Not Found" error when trying to vote on the orks, anybody else having problems?

Edit: I can vote by going to the actual topic but when I click on the voting link in Kurgan's message it gives me the 404 error.

I'm getting a "404 Not Found" error when trying to vote on the orks, anybody else having problems?

Edit: I can vote by going to the actual topic but when I click on the voting link in Kurgan's message it gives me the 404 error.

Link formatted wrong for some reason. All fixed.

Ahem... Not to be a spoil sport or anything, but it seems to me that there are several of the contest entries that have broken this rule:

2. No conversions. Stock miniatures only -- just like you see up in the picture above. No extra parts -- even from the AoBR set. No green stuff. Just the minis and their respective base parts (head, arms, body and base). Decals are okay.

I have seen Devastator Squad Servo Skulls, Ork skulls, Imperial Guard lasguns, Forge World symbols and Space Marine helmets. Aren't these in clear violation of the above rule?

Just asking...

3b. Normal landscape basing only. No other minis (such as a Tau being used as a corpse for example).

Don't the above mentioned bits fit into that category?

I dunno... Maybe I'm nitpicking... But I would have liked to have done stuff like putting bits from other minis on the base but chose not to, because it was against the rules.

I'm also pretty sure I saw a Forge World Red Scorpions symbol on the shoulder plate of one Termie...

Oh well... :P

3b. Normal landscape basing only. No other minis (such as a Tau being used as a corpse for example).

I dunno... Maybe I'm nitpicking... But I would have liked to have done stuff like putting bits from other minis on the base but chose not to, because it was against the rules.

I'm also pretty sure I saw a Forge World Red Scorpions symbol on the shoulder plate of one Termie...

Oh well... <_<

Just on the same topic is it me or does Terminator Entry #38 have one of the old metal shoulder shields stuck onto the left shoulder. I haven't seen all the new AoBR terminators but it just doesn't seem to fit with the one I painted.

Would this count as a conversion?

Oh well... :devil:

We answered these questions during the lead up:

3. Stock bases that the minis come with only. These means 40mm for the Termie and 28mm for the Nob. Plinths are not allowed. Detailing the base is up to you beyond that.

3a. Resin scenic bases are allowed.

No other minis, no plinths, beyond that you can use what you want for your base cover. We know folks are gonna want to use their minis to fit in their armies so we don't want to put too many restrictions on basing beyond the other mini and plinths thing. If something questionable comes up then the HQs of the two sites will review it and make a decision but as long as you follow the rules you should be fine.

As for the lamp post -- that isn't another mini that is terrain. As in the example given -- A Tau body, or torso or arm or legs would constitute another mini. Helmet, bolter, knife would not.

Just on the same topic is it me or does Terminator Entry #38 have one of the old metal shoulder shields stuck onto the left shoulder. I haven't seen all the new AoBR terminators but it just doesn't seem to fit with the one I painted.

Would this count as a conversion?

When we reviewed it we thought it looked a bit strange as well, but there was nothing conclusive. The fact that the arm isn't on properly changes how it looks. If you look in the first pic you'll see that arm is not attached properly and is angled in, which changes the view of the shield plate.

When we reviewed it we thought it looked a bit strange as well, but there was nothing conclusive. The fact that the arm isn't on properly changes how it looks. If you look in the first pic you'll see that arm is not attached properly and is angled in, which changes the view of the shield plate.

If you look at the side-on photo the shield appears to be straight whereas AFAIK the AoBR terminators have curved shields, it also appears to be much thicker.

Also if you look at the side-on photo again the shield appears to partially cover the crux whereas the AoBR terminators' shields do not.

I thought I had done up a decent paint job.. then I saw the competition. Wow...

Only three or four that I could consider as 'needs improvement'.

For the other 98% of the entries, the color flows, the script details, the eyes, freehand work, crux terminus paint schemes... are absolutely impressive.

I can not wait to see who painted which termie? or at lest the top ten!

Very impressive...there is definately a lot of great talent out there. Kudos to all participants.

I have to agree... #8 in my opinion, has used a forgeworld shoulder shield, which I thought was a no no. But in all reality, is it going to upset the balance of this competition?

Also, if resin bases are allowed, then what is the problem with any of the bases submitted? They all seem to be fine, and fall under the rules. I'm just upset at myself for not doing more to my entry. Next time eh?

All in all, I'd like to say great job by everybody, and secretly, I'd love to pick the brains of almost everybody that submitted to learn how they did some of the things they did, so I can paint my figures that much better.

Guys Im sorry to say entry 38 was me. The origninal sheild broke while i was first trying to paint it so i tried my best to reproduce it with a grey knight sheild. If anything I was trying my best to keep the mini STOCK, and not to make any modifications.

As for the basing I do believe it throws off the competition and heres why;

Last night I was looking at some of the enteries with someone who was unfamiliar to miniature painting, and 40k in general. The person immidiatly picked out minis with more 'interesting' bases as the ones they thought should be winners. I wasnt going to say anything but since it was brought up I think it should be taken into consideration.

Overall though the entrants were great, and deserving of nothing but admiration.

#8 uses one of the etched brass red scorpion pieces available from forgeworld. I suppose that would be considered a conversion, but honestly... no offence to the creator of it.. it's good, but there are a few models that are incredibly well done.

My advice to people.. don't worry about how perfectly something fits the rules unless you think it's in the top 3, or it ends up placing in the top three. I couldn't guess the top three thats for sure, probably the top 10 and they are all legal.

As for the basing I do believe it throws off the competition and heres why;

Last night I was looking at some of the enteries with someone who was unfamiliar to miniature painting, and 40k in general. The person immidiatly picked out minis with more 'interesting' bases as the ones they thought should be winners. I wasnt going to say anything but since it was brought up I think it should be taken into consideration.

I have to agree, and I am ashamed to say my vote was heavily persuaded by the bases.

On the other hand... I picked the wrong number when voting, so I guess it didn't make any difference for my vote.. :lol:

Not that I painted a terminator or I'm an expert in terminators, I know who my top five were, I still got that piece of paper on my desk. I painted an Ork, I'm not winning and I'll gladly reveal which number it is in a week or so. I used an Epicast base. So it has stuff on it, but it was a single casting, isn't that fancy and is legal per the rules, I can provide a link to it in an online catalogue if necessary. If someone really did use other bitz which was explained a dozen times as a no-no. No dead Tau, no brass rod bullet castings, etc. etc.

I mean you only get one vote, I would have like to get to pick a top 3 or better still five, but I digress. Maybe once the winners are revealed if they have fancy bases they can post a link to Micro Arts studio or whoever made their bases. I didn't have any from the sponsor but I'll buy some eventually. I've known the guy who runs Epicast for a long time so I've bought some bases from him previously, but I like variety too.

Cheers and cheating in something like this, I mean it is just for fun, and fooling a couple hundred people online isn't that great of an accomplishment and some people out there may be smart enough to catch you. On the Ork side I thought the average fig was better and on the marine side I was surprised more people didn't do the sargent. The top termies though are really well done, maybe better than the top orks... How well you take photos counts for a lot in these online comps, I don't do as good a job on this as others...

Unfortunately Auxillius that does mean we have to DQ your entry. However, I do appreciate you stepping up and taking responsibility for the change.

Actually... 2 of the current top 3 have bits from other minis on their bases...

As said earlier -

We answered these questions during the lead up:

3. Stock bases that the minis come with only. These means 40mm for the Termie and 28mm for the Nob. Plinths are not allowed. Detailing the base is up to you beyond that.

3a. Resin scenic bases are allowed.

No other minis, no plinths, beyond that you can use what you want for your base cover. We know folks are gonna want to use their minis to fit in their armies so we don't want to put too many restrictions on basing beyond the other mini and plinths thing. If something questionable comes up then the HQs of the two sites will review it and make a decision but as long as you follow the rules you should be fine.

As for the lamp post -- that isn't another mini that is terrain. As in the example given -- A Tau body, or torso or arm or legs would constitute another mini. Helmet, bolter, knife would not.

So once again......their bases are fine.

I know... I was referring to Auxilius' post. But it's not a problem or anything. The leading entries would still be leading without the extra bits. Of that I'm sure. :P

I can't wait for the results. Looking forward to seeing who will win, and who painted what. And Kurgan, you have done a hell of a job organising this, so thumbs up to you!

I'm sorry if I have sounded a bit sour. I just thought I'd bring up the subject for clarification. :)

Guys Im sorry to say entry 38 was me. The origninal sheild broke while i was first trying to paint it so i tried my best to reproduce it with a grey knight sheild.

Anyone could have said this as an excuse instead of just replacing the bit with something exactly the same-not that I am accusing you of making up an excuse, just stating that anyone could have. I don't think it's horribly fair to the folks who entered termies that followed the rules. :)

Guys Im sorry to say entry 38 was me. The origninal sheild broke while i was first trying to paint it so i tried my best to reproduce it with a grey knight sheild.

Anyone could have said this as an excuse instead of just replacing the bit with something exactly the same-not that I am accusing you of making up an excuse, just stating that anyone could have. I don't think it's horribly fair to the folks who entered termies that followed the rules. :D

If anything call me lazy, I didnt want to have to go to the store and pick up another one just for the plate :(

Archived