Additions/alterations: Imperial Fists

AlexCrute

Yeah as soon as I turned his head to his right I thought that would be hard to beat. The hand will get some work (not to mention the rest of his armour - it's going to be full MkV plate remember). He might even get a moustache or something, you never know...

Fencing with an 8' blade is rather silly after all.

• 1 month later...

Got a bit of time to myself and started fooling around with guitar wire and microbeads:

See? Mk V just like I said:

gallery_11030_1089_260189.jpg

Dunno what Mk the moustache is though.

gallery_11030_1089_108646.jpg

I want to work some BT swordbrethren models into the squad (where else does one get one's magnificent capes from?), so that's a good excuse for a 'stache I reckon.

Also while thinking about the paintjob, I realise the colour of the cape is important. What say you? I want the bright yellow to feature heavily, but I think I want the artificer armour to be golden or bronze. Bright yellow capes? I don't want to step on the toes of any of the companies' heraldic colours. Maybe honour guard could get yellow armour like normal, but have deep purple capes (purple for royalty, these guys being the honour guard for chapter royalty). Dunno. There's a bit of time yet before these guys get paint, but I want to know what I'm doing before I get there.

Heh-heh-heh. I love the pose.

'Yeah? You want some? Come and have a go, if you think yer hard enough! Bet yer not.'

And the Mk IVc 'tache is the finest addition to a Marine since the bolter was invented.

Cheers for the nice words guys,

@M2C: Red and black? Hmmm. I like the two-tonedness of the cape. Hadn't thought of that. I also like the reference to the second founding. I could reference the Crimson Fists easily enough too. Might have to work those references in somehow, but I think I'll do that with icons or fetishes rather than cape colour. The red and black works well as contrast for Helbrecht's gold armour, but mightn't look special enough against yellow. And if I give these guys gold armour, what identifies them as Imperial Fists? (besides that they'd then be Helbrecht impersonators which he mightn't put up with).

The bright yellow has to go somewhere, and must be prominent enough to identify them (not to mention tie them in with the rest of the force), but I wanted to clearly identify the artificer quality of their armour. The easiest way to artificer-up something is slap gold paint on it, but I think gold clashes with yellow does it not?

I wonder if I can learn NMM techniques in 5 minutes? Maybe not.

White armour? Black? Pale High-Elven silver? Bronze?

Maybe I'll take a leaf from the Blood Ravens book (before telling them it's my book and the stole it) and make graves and shoulder pads a fancy colour, leaving the rest of the armour in the chapter colours. That might be cool.

@TiH: Nick away, nick away. Gotta do something with them don't we? I think I'll end up using 3 in this squad. The trick is making them different enough.

@sar: Yep 'staches, beards and mohawks need greater representation outside the Space Wolves don't they? Space Wolves don't have a monopoly on barbarism. Hardly any Astartes chapters recruit genteel civilised people after all. They all start out as hard nuts, then they just get harder....

@war: Well he's not that old. His armour is though.

@Paladin: I agree about the 'stache. I promise not to overdo them though. Just a bit of flavour here and there in the army.

Does anyone see anything that is 'not quite MK V enough' about the armour?

Have you experimented painting bright gold? I used an extremely bright gold on my Helbrecht as a throw back to the Imperial Fists and it turned out perfectly. I think that metallics may take from your army though.

If you have a spare Captain cape and random torso why no try it on that to see how you like it?

To me personally, though yellow and purple are perfect together, its too much, if that makes sense. Maybe, instead of red inside the cape, you try deep, deep purple and black.

Alex, absolutely love your work. I'd be tempted to start an army of Fists if it wasn't for my total lack of money :D Some of your conversions are ingenious and I'd like to ask youhow you did the powerfists in the following pics:

gallery_11030_1089_50055.jpg

gallery_11030_1089_101129.jpg

gallery_11030_1089_195710.jpg

(Powerfist is to the right of the picture in the last image.)

It's a really effective conversion and I love the powerfists that look like that.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Thanks guys,

@M2C: I think I may have to commit to a bit of test painting. I have some repentia mistress bodies lying around (like 3 of them. Dunno where they came from but they will suffice. Armour + cape = fit for purpose). Bright gold huh? I'd like to see a picture of yours if you have one on the internets. Right now I'm thinking of golden armour, the outer (back) cape in chapter colours, the inner cape in white with a purple border.

@Dark Link: That powerfist is terminator Calgar's right hand. His are some of the best sculpted fists around, lovely skulls on the knuckles and so on. I used a razorsaw and some savage filing though. The bolter and ammo feed are difficult to get off. The skull on the back is sculpted over the ultramarines chapter symbol, and the rest is just assembly. E-string guitar wire completes the job. I'll see if I can dig up better photos....

gallery_24723_1736_84720.jpg

It's nowhere near your standard and the lighting darkens it significantly :D . The un-ornamented knee and backpack give you the 'best' idea, but in reality its actually much brighter than that. The gold is Burnished Gold, but in this pic it looks like 'Shining Gold'. As or the cape, imagine the red I did as purple, but with the same swirl-y designs and yellow/gold maltese crosses.

@M2C: Right so yours is like the studio version but with brighter gold. I like it. The colour scheme I'm most seriously considering at the moment is golden armour (the brighter the better), white inner cape with purple border (sortof a reversal of yours) with chapter colour on the cape outer.

I might have to buy a Helbrecht one of these days. Too nice not to find a use for him.

@Dark Link: Better photos for you:

gallery_11030_1089_106575.jpg

Sergeant Ulgo modelling the completed fist above

gallery_11030_1089_82789.jpg

gallery_11030_1089_114962.jpg

Sergeant Pratenko modelling its twin.

I also see now that that you asked about all the fists in those pictures. *deep breath*

In the top photo, Ulgo has 2 fists. His left is from the plastic captain set with a resculpted thumb (remarkably easy).

His right is from the plastic assault squad box simply cut and twisted at the elbow.

The second photo has an unpainted Pratenko overseeing various bits. The fist holding the stealer head is the same assault squad bit as above, the index finger is replaced with wire and the thumb repositioned (not visible in photo). I haven't finished that one.

The yellow fist to the right in that picture is from the old space wolf sprue with all the digits removed and resculpted. That was also very easy. I just slapped a blob of GS onto the palm of hand, shaped it square and then scored lines in it to delineate the fingers. Thumb came afterwards. I'm not happy with that one, and might redo it if I decide I have a shortage of powerfists.

(I probly don't have a shortage come to think of it).

Always nice to see your models mate :huh: humm.. im more for the dakre gold bronse idea.. and maby only have like the greves,gauntlets, eagelheads on the back pack and pauldrons in gold? and the rest in yellow and blach and a purple cloak might be nice and fiting as they where the Pretorians of the emperor afteral.. ?

Awesome toutch with the head and moustache! and i agree there chould be some more nice and fun heads around and it fits very nice with the Imperial Fists! there is allot of nice one´s in the spacewolfs kits now.. :P

Cheers on a very nice work with the glorius sones of Dorn! :rolleyes:

Helbrecht would make the perfect base for a Preheresy Sigismund.

I disagree with this, to an extent; i picture sigismund as a little more fiery and aggressive; granted, the model for Helbrecht is advancing towards the foe - but reading Mechanicum (thats the right one, yeah?) he is described (IIRC) as being very quick to anger and uses that fury well in battle - (i hope, haven't read mechanicum for ages)

given that, i would recommend; for sigismund, sword in one hand and head of a vanquished champion, captain, farseer, Nob in the other; as if showing 'this is what i do to your best, who's next?'

kinda like this guy

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...dId=prod1090240

just less khornate, obviously, but i'm sure you get the idea

• 1 year later...

Sternguard Sergeant (and apparent part-time threadomancer)

gallery_11030_1089_71094.jpg

I like the overall effect with this guy, evoking the video game and all that. Not sure about the maltese cross on the forehead.

Questions, O venerable brethren:

• To what extent is borrowing iconography ok?
    I suppose if it has some supporting story it's fine right?

Archived