=][= AoBR Contest Terminator Winners =][=

Ok voting is done and here is the full voting list (you are now free to post and discuss the entries):

ENTRY 1 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 2 [ 1 ] [0.28%]

ENTRY 3 [ 9 ] [2.51%]

ENTRY 4 [ 6 ] [1.67%]

ENTRY 5 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 6 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 7 [ 1 ] [0.28%]

ENTRY 9 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 10 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 11 [ 1 ] [0.28%]

ENTRY 12 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 13 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 14 [ 1 ] [0.28%]

ENTRY 15 [ 5 ] [1.39%]

ENTRY 16 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 17 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 18 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 19 [ 3 ] [0.84%]

ENTRY 20 [ 2 ] [0.56%]

ENTRY 21 [ 1 ] [0.28%]

ENTRY 22 [ 11 ] [3.06%]

ENTRY 23 [ 3 ] [0.84%]

ENTRY 24 [ 1 ] [0.28%]

ENTRY 25 [ 1 ] [0.28%]

ENTRY 26 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 27 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 28 [ 26 ] [7.24%]

ENTRY 29 [ 3 ] [0.84%]

ENTRY 30 [ 14 ] [3.90%]

ENTRY 31 [ 60 ] [16.71%]

ENTRY 32 [ 3 ] [0.84%]

ENTRY 33 [ 2 ] [0.56%]

ENTRY 34 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 35 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 36 [ 1 ] [0.28%]

ENTRY 37 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 39 [ 24 ] [6.69%]

ENTRY 40 [ 49 ] [13.65%]

ENTRY 41 [ 2 ] [0.56%]

ENTRY 42 [ 11 ] [3.06%]

ENTRY 43 [ 1 ] [0.28%]

ENTRY 44 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 46 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 47 [ 2 ] [0.56%]

ENTRY 48 [ 1 ] [0.28%]

ENTRY 49 [ 3 ] [0.84%]

ENTRY 50 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 51 [ 9 ] [2.51%]

ENTRY 52 [ 16 ] [4.46%]

ENTRY 53 [ 15 ] [4.18%]

ENTRY 54 [ 4 ] [1.11%]

ENTRY 55 [ 2 ] [0.56%]

ENTRY 56 [ 23 ] [6.41%]

ENTRY 57 [ 2 ] [0.56%]

ENTRY 58 [ 1 ] [0.28%]

ENTRY 59 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 60 [ 1 ] [0.28%]

ENTRY 61 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 62 [ 7 ] [1.95%]

ENTRY 63 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 64 [ 2 ] [0.56%]

ENTRY 65 [ 3 ] [0.84%]

ENTRY 66 [ 0 ] [0.00%]

ENTRY 67 [ 1 ] [0.28%]

ENTRY 68 [ 25 ] [6.96%]

So the winners are:

FIRST PLACE - ENTRY 31 - K4I53r

med_gallery_2_2684_36807.jpg

med_gallery_2_2684_14967.jpg

med_gallery_2_2684_11823.jpg

med_gallery_2_2684_7908.jpg

SECOND PLACE - ENTRY 40 - Revmatt

med_gallery_2_2684_10850.jpg

gallery_2_2684_8233.jpg

gallery_2_2684_24006.jpg

gallery_2_2684_26531.jpg

THIRD PLACE - ENTRY 28 - Magicstorm

gallery_2_2684_4224.jpg

gallery_2_2684_37082.jpg

med_gallery_2_2684_19649.jpg

gallery_2_2684_23118.jpg

The Ork winners were:

1st Place - ENTRY 42

2nd Place - ENTRY 4

3rd Place - ENTRY 32

Please remember we are doing prizes a bit different for this contest:

Instead of assigning prizes we are letting the winners pick what they want out of a prize package.

So 1st place winner for Ork and Marine will pick from:

Assault on Black Reach Box Set from The Gamers Realm

A $40 Gift Certificate from TheWarstore.com

$25 worth of resin bases from Dragon Forge Design.

2nd Place will get to pick from what is left and then 3rd place winners will get the final items left over.

This means 2 people will get Assault on Black Reach, 2 people will get $40 TheWarstore.com gift certificates and 2 people will get $25 of resin bases!

So the Marine winners will be getting a PM from me and the Ork winners will get a PM from Kaptan Krum

BIG THANKS! To everyone that entered. Even without the Ork entries this blows away the previous entry record set by the Legio B&C Contest a few years ago. Stay tuned for the next big contest to be announced within the next few weeks.

My vote went to the third place winner in Terminators. I'm not even sure the other two were in my top five... All three ork winners were in my top five and I voted for the winner, I believe. I'd have to double check a piece of paper on my desk.

Is this where discussion is supposed to take place?

I'll have to try to do better next time, but I'm so time limited. I think I need to take better pictures, read more forgiving... I did get at least one vote last time I checked...

The Fool!!!

:-)

I will definately be basing mine different next time...

Besides that, I have to give a big congrats to all the entries. I have a tremendous number of ideas now. There was even one who did a power cell look to the crux termie badge...very cool. The blending that some used, the free hand work of others, really great work!!!

I know it was a painting contest, and I'm glad that a blood angels termie got 3rd, but seriously? He didn't drill out his gun barrels? Come on...

Oh, and [insert complaint about basing here], since I think the original rules should have been kept to as well.

Not bitter, but I feel the bases where the deciding factor for the winners #1 and #2 winners.. of the three #3 is the only one I feel is in the spirit of the contest... I feel a Basing Restriction should have been enforced, as that is as much of a conversion as altering the miniature itself.

Congratulations

Basing restrictions in mind and all, but I think the two are deserved winners, since the painting ON the minis is really good!

Since this is a painting contest and we are not children, I think it is up to voters to keep in mind that they have to vote for paintjob only, not for any conversions done

Basing restrictions in mind and all, but I think the two are deserved winners, since the painting ON the minis is really good!

Since this is a painting contest and we are not children, I think it is up to voters to keep in mind that they have to vote for paintjob only, not for any conversions done

No offense to the first place winner, but the paint job isn't as great as the base makes it look in my opinion. Take a gander at the left shoulder pad.

I understand it's personal opinion, but I'm not so sure the bases *didn't* help the top two...which isn't horribly fair to everyone who kept to the rules.

Woo-hoo, first place in orks! And by one vote. I'm glad all the work I put into this little guy paid off, he took quite a while to complete. Congrats to the orky 2nd and 3rd, termie winners, and a big well done all around. The general standard of painting was great. Now I have to get back trying to create an entire green tide to this level of this guy - see you in 2012!

Many thanks to Kaptun Krum and Kurgan the Lurker for all their hard work organizing this, and to the sponsors - TheWarstore.com, GamersRealm.com, and DragonForge.com

For my two cents about the termie winners, I voted for second place. I know people will wax on about the liberties taken with basing (which admittedly does add to the overall presentation) but look at the standard of that painting! Beautiful highlights on the black armour and incredible freehand on the shield, powerfist, and chapter insignia. First place is good, but I was a little put off by the fact he looks as if he's about to fall off that rock. And third place with the lack of gun barrels, hehe - the minute he pulls that trigger his whole right arm will explode.

Congrats to the Winners..I look forward to sending you your prizes.

As to the complaints on basing, no rules were broken at all. Please go back and read the rules and the discussion that followed. The rules clearly state, NO Corpsess.. all other basing materials allowed.

The rules

3. Stock bases that the minis come with only. These means 40mm for the Termie and 28mm for the Nob. Plinths are not allowed. Detailing the base is up to you beyond that. Check!

3a. Resin scenic bases are allowed. No one used one!

3b. Normal landscape basing only. No other minis (such as a Tau being used as a corpse for example).

I don't see any corpses... So Check!

I think you guys put to much thought into these contests instead of just painting and having fun!

The rules

3. Stock bases that the minis come with only. These means 40mm for the Termie and 28mm for the Nob. Plinths are not allowed. Detailing the base is up to you beyond that. Check!

3a. Resin scenic bases are allowed. No one used one!

3b. Normal landscape basing only. No other minis (such as a Tau being used as a corpse for example).

I don't see any corpses... So Check!

I think you guys put to much thought into these contests instead of just painting and having fun!

I hope I'm not alone in disagreeing that the first two have completely "normal" landscape basing. I suppose "normal" basing is what you make of it.

Also, rule 3a contradicts rule 3. Stock bases only...or resin.

Perhaps it's not such a huge deal, but it seems that there were plenty of people who entered with the impression that they weren't allowed to get too creative with their bases. Maybe if they would have also, we'd see different winners.

I hope I'm not alone in disagreeing that the first two have completely "normal" landscape basing. I suppose "normal" basing is what you make of it.

Perhaps it's not such a huge deal, but it seems that there were plenty of people who entered with the impression that they weren't allowed to get too creative with their bases. Maybe if they would have also, we'd see different winners.

And this is why reading an entire thread pays off folks. We explained this (to the point that I feel like puking):

We answered these questions during the lead up:

3. Stock bases that the minis come with only. These means 40mm for the Termie and 28mm for the Nob. Plinths are not allowed. Detailing the base is up to you beyond that.

3a. Resin scenic bases are allowed.

No other minis, no plinths, beyond that you can use what you want for your base cover. We know folks are gonna want to use their minis to fit in their armies so we don't want to put too many restrictions on basing beyond the other mini and plinths thing. If something questionable comes up then the HQs of the two sites will review it and make a decision but as long as you follow the rules you should be fine.

As for the lamp post -- that isn't another mini that is terrain. As in the example given -- A Tau body, or torso or arm or legs would constitute another mini. Helmet, bolter, knife would not.

So let it go already........

And this is why reading an entire thread pays off folks. We explained this (to the point that I feel like puking):

We answered these questions during the lead up:

3. Stock bases that the minis come with only. These means 40mm for the Termie and 28mm for the Nob. Plinths are not allowed. Detailing the base is up to you beyond that.

3a. Resin scenic bases are allowed.

No other minis, no plinths, beyond that you can use what you want for your base cover. We know folks are gonna want to use their minis to fit in their armies so we don't want to put too many restrictions on basing beyond the other mini and plinths thing. If something questionable comes up then the HQs of the two sites will review it and make a decision but as long as you follow the rules you should be fine.

As for the lamp post -- that isn't another mini that is terrain. As in the example given -- A Tau body, or torso or arm or legs would constitute another mini. Helmet, bolter, knife would not.

So let it go already........

Hear Hear!

Hey guys,

I really enjoyed painting the termy for this contest, it was nice to have an excuse to paint a marine from a chapter I've always wanted to represent - classic deathstrike!

It was really great to scroll through all the entries and see others who had painted some really obscure marine chapters I think the entries were all fantastic.

Thanks to everyone who voted (particularly those who voted for mine!) and to all those who've made kind comments above - it really is motivation to keep on going.

I've got a warseer log which is all marines if anyone was interested in taking a look at fleshtearers, bloodravens, grey knights and some Iron hands then its HERE.

Thanks Again to Kurgen at al. for making this comp such great fun - your time and effort is really appreciated.

revmatt

('rev' on warseer)

Hey guys,

I really enjoyed painting the termy for this contest, it was nice to have an excuse to paint a marine from a chapter I've always wanted to represent - classic deathstrike!

It was really great to scroll through all the entries and see others who had painted some really obscure marine chapters I think the entries were all fantastic.

Thanks to everyone who voted (particularly those who voted for mine!) and to all those who've made kind comments above - it really is motivation to keep on going.

I've got a warseer log which is all marines if anyone was interested in taking a look at fleshtearers, bloodravens, grey knights and some Iron hands then its HERE.

Thanks Again to Kurgen at al. for making this comp such great fun - your time and effort is really appreciated.

revmatt

('rev' on warseer)

Great termie! I love your paint job with the subtle highlights and the brilliant freehand. There is a little fluff mistake though... ;) The helmet stripe of the Death Strike denotes Company colour... and there are no Terminators in the Second (Yellow) Company. The stripe should be white.

Anyhoo... I didn't vote in this contest because I was entering my self. My Terminator is entry number 42 (the answer to the ultimate question ;) ), and I would like to thank the 11 people who voted for me. I JUST made it to the top 10!

Great contest, and congratulations to everyone, especially the winners. The whole basing controversy was a shame. I was among those who chose not to add anything to the base except sand and grass. Maybe next time, the rules should be more clear and strict to avoid confusion?

Looking forward to hearing people's comments about the termies, including my own (I'd love to hear from the 11 who voted for me :) ).

Great job everyone!

I didn't see all the entries but of the three here I think they're in the right order :P

Yellow is a notoriously difficult colour to pull off and I think it looks brilliant; the highlighting is subtle and the weathering is also spot on.

The #2 spot, though more quickly perceived as being the better painted, is a bit unsubtle in it's finish. Remove the edge-highlights and you have what looks to be the chaos black basecoat. The freehand is excellent though.

I just feel that #1 looks like ithas had more time and effort spent upon it.

#3 looks as much like an excercise in blending as it does a good and evocative paint job. Doesn't say much other than "I have this painting-red technique down pat."

Regarding the basing, I see that no rules were broken, but it seems to me the whole point of the competition was to paint the miniature as it comes - the rules were written and applied in order to tether the entrants to the given miniature and to see what people can do with paint and with paint only.

In those terms, I would agree that #1 and #2 do deviate from the spirit of the competition where #3 does not. (In particular #2 - the servo skull?)

That said, neither #1 nor #2 seems to benefit anything from the base - cover the base with your hand and the mini still pops. I suspect it's more a case of the painters being unable to restrict themselves rather than any blatant attempt to bend/get around the rules or gain the upper hand. It's a lack of self control as opposed to cheating, which is admissible in these circumstances.

I'd like to hear from the #1 and #2 painters though, as to whether or not I'm right. I know what the mods will say but this is my perception of the winning miniatures. I still agree with the winning line up

Congrats to all who entered, whether you won or not ;) at least you finished a mini! :P

Archived