True Grit

Guest WG Vrox

Guest WG Vrox

Those look very nice LR, I like also like the action poses vs. the static firing line pose. Also looks like you have about as many Minis to paint as I do lol, long way to go. But I should have my CC squad done today.

I also have an idea for different stances for the static firing line pose that I will get some pictures of.

Ugh, I don't want to talk about minis to paint...I picked up some SW stuff from a guy who was getting out of the game, 56 marines, and surgery on a Crusader later (and my original army not being "totally done") I have a tall task ahead of me.

In regards to the GH, I generally just toss the varying knives, etc. from my left over sprues onto my bolter GH.

I have done 15 or so with chainsword/bolter combos and the occasional "new" chaos warrior weapons and intersperse them to break up the monotony of the bolters.

I also like the idea of GH wearing helmets, never thought of that before.

-Huzzah

Guest WG Vrox
Does anyone else have problems with getting the color yellow to look smooth. I tend to see alot of brush strokes in the finished work? I am up to about a 1 to 1 ratio of water mix which is the max I will work with. grrrr.

I cut to the chase and skipped the yellow... *Shakes head* I dont care for the yellow much. So my great company has red shoulder pads on its grey hunters with black squad markings.... its bloodclaws have one red, and one red with yellow squad markings.... long fangs get black, with white markings.... and WG get whatever I want them to, they usually get a personal heraldry and name.

Not to try to highjack the thread, but yeah I always have trouble with yellow but I am getting decent results from buying yellow spray paint....it's gloss but I guess I have to sacrifice to get decent looking yellow shoulder pads....back to our regularly scheduled True Grit pics post....

Guest WG Vrox
No highjacking happening :D Thread is about modeling true grit minis, that includes painting which I am doing and having trouble wth, my thread my rules :) .... lol Was hoping to have my squad done today so I could show ya all, but because of the darn color yellow, its not going to happen.

Heres some scouts... one of wich is true gritting a meltagun!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l96/Greyknight86/scouts.jpg

Im still trying to find out where these guys came from... bought them off a guy a while back... he didnt know either. To bad true grit doesnt work with melta/plasma guns... that could be fun.

Yellow has never touched the shoulder pads of my wolves, it is a freaking hard color to paint and I just don't like the look of it. Like Grey Mage, my shoulder pads are a dark red. I used Vallejo "Model Color" Red (pretty close to scab red, and some damn fine paints!).

I haven't yet marked the right shoulder pad to designate between BC and GH's. Clearly I could change the right shoulder pad on the Bolter/CC to designate them, since they are the only models that can be armed that way (perhaps I'll put a diagonal yellow line through...could look pretty nice, ohh and black helmets!). Not sure what I could do with my BP/CC marines...I use them as both GH and BC depending on how the mood strikes, and who I'm playing that day.

-Huzzah

Guest WG Vrox

So far the 1 to 1 ratio of paint and water, doing thin coats and cleaning my brush between each model is working the best.

I am not trying vertical brush strokes on one layer then horizontal strokes on the next lays is smoothing it ou as well. I get there even if I have to put 20 coats on then sand a few off lol.... I like the color, but I have tried citidal, reaper and dreamcoat paints..... all the same result

Those are the old scout models, I have a pack full of them.

Several of my models have 'true grit' with non-bolters. As long as your not using the rules, its just modeling, and all good.

For yellow, I use Vallejo yellow, a little watered down (like, 1 drop of water per 3 drops of paint) and do several layers. The paint is already pretty watery, but there is alot of pigment in it. Thats the problem with other paints that you have to layer on. You water it down to keep it from building up, and less pigment actually gets to the model as a result.

Guest WG Vrox

Almost done, here is an update of Wolf Pack Omega lead by WGBL Theon.

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq71/WG_Vrox/Omega012a.jpg

Guest WG Vrox

yeah, it comes off a bit more bright in the picture than looking at them, but after the 15 layers of yellow I had to lay down to get a acceptable smoothness its pretty bright. .

sure box all your minis up and send them my way, considering how long it took me to finish those guys and what I have left I should have your's done about the time our new codex comes out. :rolleyes:

I love the grey you have done, the bright yellow contrasts well with it

heres my PH GH squad

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/vittorio_13/bestarmy002.jpg

Archived