Viva Metallica

metcalfedan

Nice, but dude, please don't steal my thread. ¬_¬ just make your own.

Ow, right. sorry about that, no offense taken :D . Actually, I'll do that right now, it'll be easier, and less annoying for the both of us :)

if you havent already could you please do a red style test marine. tho im hopin its doesnt work as quite frankly if it does im gonna have to repaint ALL my ba all over again and i just finished.

Also, how much of [insert wash colour here] does it take to cover a marine? Because im going to get some thraka green and badab black for my salamanders (hopefully, with a simple scheme that looks great, i will actually paint,) I was just wondering if i should get 2 pots or just 1 because when i paint them i'm going to do a fair few if i like the scheme (which i do :D ).

You should seriously go to the Tutorials section more.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=155396

That would make peole think that i actually go there. I read it, dont see what is so special besides another great thread by metcalfedan.

Besides the fact that it tells you how to do it?

And? i didnt ask how to do it (I already know), i asked how many washes i should get before starting.

Well it's a bit hard to say how much wash is needed to coat a marine.

Maybe I should've written "Besides the fact that it tells you how much you need?"

But that wouldn't have helped anyway, because how would you know the amount of wash used for around 3-4 coats if you've never used it?

if you havent already could you please do a red style test marine. tho im hopin its doesnt work as quite frankly if it does im gonna have to repaint ALL my ba all over again and i just finished.

Also, how much of [insert wash colour here] does it take to cover a marine? Because im going to get some thraka green and badab black for my salamanders (hopefully, with a simple scheme that looks great, i will actually paint,) I was just wondering if i should get 2 pots or just 1 because when i paint them i'm going to do a fair few if i like the scheme (which i do ;) ).

That would make peole think that i actually go there. I read it, dont see what is so special besides another great thread by metcalfedan.

And? i didnt ask how to do it (I already know), i asked how many washes i should get before starting.

Maybe I should've written "Besides the fact that it tells you how much you need?"

But that wouldn't have helped anyway, because how would you know the amount of wash used for around 3-4 coats if you've never used it?

erm... what? I'm confuzzled

He's saying use 3-4 coats. Very sarcastically, but still... NOW! Getting back on track here...

Very nice trick dude! Never thought of that, comes out crisp and clean. And the fact it stays that wy for ANY colored wash is what makes this a great idea! Keep those 'fists a commin'!

Also, how much of [insert wash colour here] does it take to cover a marine? Because im going to get some thraka green and badab black for my salamanders (hopefully, with a simple scheme that looks great, i will actually paint,) I was just wondering if i should get 2 pots or just 1 because when i paint them i'm going to do a fair few if i like the scheme (which i do ;) ).

erm... what? I'm confuzzled

Uh huh, as intended :D

Cedric didn't have any trouble telling me (BTW thanks Ccedric.)

I don't know the amount, that is why i asked, duh.

Sorry about that guys,l Eyes seems to like to police me.

Good news, i'm getting them ( the washes that is, probably on Wednesday) but that isn't your concern.

Also, i'd like to say, good luck with the site. I can't wait for it.

Cedric didn't have any trouble telling me (BTW thanks cedric.)

Yeah, he didn't, obviously ;)

I don't know the amount, that is why i asked, duh.

Oh, really? I thought you were just annoying us.

Sorry about that guys,l Eyes seems to like to police me.

Yeah, I seem to, don't I? I mean, I must be too stupid to see anything I've said to you that's policing behaviour.

Good news, i'm getting them ( the washes that is, probably on Wednesday) but that isn't your concern.

Oh, no, it is - we just love to know what fellow B&C members purchase :P

Also, i'd like to say, good luck with the site. I can't wait for it.

Nor can I.

First of all, I hereby declare this thread is an Epic win :P ....secondly, well done lad, you have inspired us all! *slaps you on the back* :P Next, I am going try this method on me wolvez and see how it turnz out....though its going to take me some time to figure out how to get this done.... ;) Btw, do you have a pic of that DA marine model that is also painted in/with this method? Many thx in advance! ^_^

I second this. Epic Win.

And I am not trying to hijack or anything, but I want to do my wolves metallic as well, but have no clue where to start as my paints are in transit from Hawaii.

Have you or anyone else managed to pull off a metallic Wolf? Maybe my search-fu is off and I missed it, if so I am sorry.

I suppose space wolves are a bit more difficult - due to the colour. My only suggestion would be to just use a single coat of blue, with no black wash? I dunno, i'll give it a try if you want when I get time, I'm busy painting "Ice-Divers" guardsmen at the moment, check the sig.

Unfortunately, you may find that Wolves is one of those color schemes that does not lend itself to this technique. Even one coat of blue is a lot bluer than the SW colors. Sadly, not everyone can be blessed with the joy that is Viva Metallica :devil:

Unfortunately, you may find that Wolves is one of those color schemes that does not lend itself to this technique. Even one coat of blue is a lot bluer than the SW colors. Sadly, not everyone can be blessed with the joy that is Viva Metallica :devil:

Ah well, they get to have Leman Russes, so it's about even :)

What about watered down Ice Blue? I don't have Ice Blue so I can't try it ;) Would love it if someone can...hint hint...

FOR SPACE WOLVES:

A trick often done with aircraft models is mixing your light grey with the desired metallic color for a basecoat (a mix of 25% SW grey and 25% Shadow grey with 50% Mithril silver would work in this case). This matches the primer look found in some WWII planes.

Then apply a few light/thinned washes of black, mud... to get the the weathering and make the details stand.

Then paint the flat areas such as shoulderpad fields, pack markings, add transfers and there it should be, a metallic Space Wolf.

Someone else mentioned mixing Vallejo metallic medium to any color, it should work too.

I often use an acrylic "surface tension breaker" (available in art stores, not really expensive) to overlay semi-transparent layers in a way similar to the awesome new Citadel washes.

Hope that help the Metal-Maniacs around.

FOR SPACE WOLVES:

A trick often done with aircraft models is mixing your light grey with the desired metallic color for a basecoat (a mix of 25% SW grey and 25% Shadow grey with 50% Mithril silver would work in this case). This matches the primer look found in some WWII planes.

Then apply a few light/thinned washes of black, mud... to get the the weathering and make the details stand.

Then paint the flat areas such as shoulderpad fields, pack markings, add transfers and there it should be, a metallic Space Wolf.

Someone else mentioned mixing Vallejo metallic medium to any color, it should work too.

I often use an acrylic "surface tension breaker" (available in art stores, not really expensive) to overlay semi-transparent layers in a way similar to the awesome new Citadel washes.

Very helpful, I would try it but I don't feel like sacrificing my current (and only) pot of mithril for it, but yeah, it could work.

My next update WILL NOT be for a while, due to my work on the Harakoni "Ice-Divers" and I'm currently training for my NPLQ (National Pool Lifeguard Qualification) so I'm a bit tight for time. (plus I'm really tired from all that swimming ;))

So I guess i'll see you guys soon. :D But in the words of Arney: I'll be back!

FOR SPACE WOLVES:

Very helpful, I would try it but I don't feel like sacrificing my current (and only) pot of mithril for it, but yeah, it could work.

My next update WILL NOT be for a while, due to my work on the Harakoni "Ice-Divers" and I'm currently training for my NPLQ (National Pool Lifeguard Qualification) so I'm a bit tight for time. (plus I'm really tired from all that swimming :P)

So I guess i'll see you guys soon. ;) But in the words of Arney: I'll be back!

*Applauds* Well said :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well. Well. Well.

I've gone an done it now. I've entered myself into the Call of the Imperium MKIII contest. I am planning on painting up my 10-man squad of Sternguard to accompany Pedro, and a 10-man squad of Vanguard vets all with power-fists and a thunder-hammer that will be used exclusively for apocalypse. This is my 600 point UBER-SUPERHEAVY-ANNIHILATOR-UNIT-OF-DOOM!

Also, seeing as I'm not physically able to complete my NPLQ yet, and paying £235 for a course that I wont be able to cope with. I'm going to wait until the summer holidays and pay£2.50, as well as beefing up a bit before then. This will leave me with an easter FULL of painting time, so I can get lots of progress done on these marines.

Wish me luck :)

Oh and on a bit of a side: Just for Stinkenheim: I've basecoated the turret of my Predator Decimator with Mithril Silver and will also be working on it soon too. :D

Update:

My Call of The Imperium MKIII April Update No. 1

Well, I've started things off with my two squads by blitzing a single vanguard marine, some work on repainting my wall jumper sternguard, and my predator turret. All in a single day:

EDIT: oops. Pics uploading now. they'll be on shortly. ^_^

EDIT 2: Pics.

(first finished Vanguard)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/IMG_0762.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/IMG_0763.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/IMG_0764.jpg

((armour finished on first Sternguard)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/IMG_0765.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/IMG_0766.jpg

(started another Vanguard)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/IMG_0767.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/IMG_0768.jpg

The full squads as of today:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/IMG_0771.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/IMG_0772.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/IMG_0773.jpg

And heres some more progress on that pred turret: (first coats of colour washes are done and drying)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/IMG_0769.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/IMG_0770.jpg

C&C Please. ;)

Hey Dan!

They look great! I can't wait to see the rest of your Sternguard refinished with Viva Metallica. I loved your Sternguard squad when I first saw them & I'm sure I'll love them even more once they've been given the Metallica treatment. I also can't wait to see that Predator of yours completed. It looks fantastic so far! Keep up the great work!

Have a question OP,

does the same metallic technique work with red metallics, too?

My Sternguard is asking for some paint ;-)

Yep, just use Baal Red instead of Asurmen Blue. Just be careful that it doesn't turn too pink. It does tend to do that <_<

Pretty much yeah.

Mini update:

Did some work on the next vanguard marine today - all he needs doing is his eye lenses gloss varnished and to be based. I'll get some pics up tomorrow once I've finished him and he's dry.

Archived