Viva Metallica

metcalfedan

Sweet what happened to the pic from a couple of weeks ago?

Which one? My entire photobuket got wrecked and I had to re-upload all of the pictures. Let me know what picture (or the post number) and I'll see if I can get it working again.

hmmmm, I should paint a squad of metallic Crimson Guardians....

Go for it dude, you won't be disappointed :P

Guess what I've been painting today. I'll give you a hint: It has tracks.

The 3 that you posted for this last round of discusion are gone. I don't know about further back.

Do you mean post #373? They seem fine to me...

You can see the pics on my latest blog entry, as well as a few more pics :D Just click the sig pic.

No I ment post 340. In the search for that one I noted the pics in 329 are also dead.

Thanks mate :) Try it now.

Oh and BTW, I think you guys are going to like my next update that'll be up in a few days ;)

Oh and BTW, I think you guys are going to like my next update that'll be up in a few days ;)

Dammit man, stop teasing us! It's either the Aegis, another few Marines, or a whole damn Bastion....

Oh and BTW, I think you guys are going to like my next update that'll be up in a few days :blink:

Dammit man, stop teasing us! It's either the Aegis, another few Marines, or a whole damn Bastion....

Well it has to be good as I'll be going on a 3 week holiday after and will be unable to do any 40K stuff (apart from reading Black Library books). I thought I'd go out with a bang.

Then come back with another. :lol:

While you're gone I'll carry on with a model I'm doing ;) Yes even I've been inspired to have a go at your technique. It's simple yet effective and I want to see if it works... in yellow. So yeah, when you get back I'll show ya the final product :)

Have a good holiday

• 3 weeks later...

Drumroll Please! There is a new update:

http://metcalfedan.webs.com/apps/blog/show...g-up-loose-ends

And yes! I finally got round to painting a RED marine:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/Viva%20Metallica/IMG_1294.jpg

That is all.

P.S. Hubernator, I'm back from holiday now ;)

Is there a way you think to get a lighter brighter red like a metalic of the BA red?

I'm not sure, that's a hard one. Perhaps replacing one of the red wash coats with a wash of Delvan mud? I'll just have to make up (on a spare bit of plastic or something) some testers using various washes and different combinations at some point...

I dunno, I like Blood Angels that are almost orangey. Maybe Gryphonne Sepia instead of Devlan Mud, to give that kind of bright, orangish undertone?

I remember seeing some really gorgeous results using straight Gryphonne Sepia to get a bronzey-gold tone with your technique, using that with red might work for BAs.

I love this technique, but alas, i can't get it right, all my Salamanders end up splotchy. Perhaps im doing somnething wrong? I don't think so, its just 1) Mithril Silver, 2: Badab black, 3) Thrakka green, 4) Thrakk green, 5) Thrakka green and 6) Other stuff. That doesn't seem wrong to me. Also, im not loading the brush, im coating everyhtin (in theroy) evenly and with a medium amount... Im such a screw up when it comes to painting :)

I love this technique, but alas, i can't get it right, all my Salamanders end up splotchy. Perhaps im doing somnething wrong? I don't think so, its just 1) Mithril Silver, 2: Badab black, 3) Thrakka green, 4) Thrakk green, 5) Thrakka green and 6) Other stuff. That doesn't seem wrong to me. Also, im not loading the brush, im coating everyhtin (in theroy) evenly and with a medium amount... Im such a screw up when it comes to painting :)

I can't explain this, but sometimes it happens to me - what I do to fix it is:

1. Get your wash pot.

2. Shake the pot a little.

3. Open the pot and make sure there is some of the liquid in the lid.

4. dip the brush into the liquid in the lid.

This is what the first coat is like when I don't do the above: (doesn't cover the surface as well and goes blotchy)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/Viva%20Metallica/IMG_1235.jpg

Whereas when I take it from the lid, it somehow gets a more even coat:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/Viva%20Metallica/IMG_0452.jpg

Hope that helps at all :)

I love this technique, but alas, i can't get it right, all my Salamanders end up splotchy. Perhaps im doing somnething wrong? I don't think so, its just 1) Mithril Silver, 2: Badab black, 3) Thrakka green, 4) Thrakk green, 5) Thrakka green and 6) Other stuff. That doesn't seem wrong to me. Also, im not loading the brush, im coating everyhtin (in theroy) evenly and with a medium amount... Im such a screw up when it comes to painting :P

I can't explain this, but sometimes it happens to me - what I do to fix it is:

1. Get your wash pot.

2. Shake the pot a little.

3. Open the pot and make sure there is some of the liquid in the lid.

4. dip the brush into the liquid in the lid.

This is what the first coat is like when I don't do the above: (doesn't cover the surface as well and goes blotchy)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/Viva%20Metallica/IMG_1235.jpg

Whereas when I take it from the lid, it somehow gets a more even coat:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/Viva%20Metallica/IMG_0452.jpg

Hope that helps at all :)

Make sure you're using acrylic medium (or at least water) to make the paint less thick, painting out of the pot at all is not a good idea. (that's what a palette is for)

Archived