Viva Metallica

metcalfedan

Awesome tutorial. Not considered it myself. IMHO the GW washes asre one of the best things to be released for the practical aspect of the hobby. My only criticism of this technique is that you would have to be meticulous in cleaning and preparing your models (i.e. removing mould lines etc) otherwise they will stand out on the completed model. Case in point the side of the space-marines helmet.

Amit

edit: I have seen a side on pic of this marine somewehere on this forum, not this thread per se where you can see a bit of mould line...

Yeah, I'm a bit apathetical (can't be bothered) when it comes to mould lines. I try to get rid of the main ones though. ^_^

I like this. I am going to be doing some paiting for a friend who just got into 40k. he bought an amry off Ebay and it needs panit bad. So, I was looking for a quick easy way to gt em done fast. His army starts with a T and ands with an au. I guess the metallic look would be OK for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Just tried this on Kantor's armor, worked great, now I am wondering if there is a way I can get a Bronze like color as thats the primary for my chapter (Aptly named Brazen Knights :P), Going to experiment on a old model I have using Gryphonne Sepia wash, may post pics when done.

Just tried this on Kantor's armor, worked great, now I am wondering if there is a way I can get a Bronze like color as thats the primary for my chapter (Aptly named Brazen Knights :)), Going to experiment on a old model I have using Gryphonne Sepia wash, may post pics when done.

I'll be doing this colour for my Inquisitor and acolytes. I'll let you know how it goes :teehee:

Just wanted to say thank you for the great tutorial; I spotted the original Viva Metallica thread on here and looked on in interest as I had often considered experimenting with metallic colours for marines.

After seeing your results I was actually inspired enough to get the paints out after not touching them for a couple of years, and did a test model in a dark purple (Boltgun metal base, Leviathan Purple [i think?] wash) and loved it.

So I can honestly say, after years of being frustrated by getting my Lords of Twilight to look the way I imagined them, you've given me a way to actually work at completing my army. I've now restarted, bought a few new models, and am just about to finish my Vanguard squad.

Cheers for the tutorial and the inspiration!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have sort of done this with my army.I have as you can see in myGallery i have ice blue on one side the right and on the left i have done mitheal silver, i also put on The ice blue a good drowning wash on to it to give it a darker colour and also on the mitheral i drowned that in badab i will get a pic up to show u all.

I did try it, actually.

Well, I didn't try it with blue; I was trying to make a metallic olive green. In experimentation, though, I got a a few rather nice shades of metallic emerald green. Can't imagine it wouldn't work just as well with blue.

My only observation is that it takes a LOT of ink to affect the color of the paint. Almost in a 2:3 to 1:1 ratio. However, that's not so bad as it just means you don't need to thin it at all.

Alrighty. Here's some test AoBR marines.

gallery_40056_3306_82593.jpg

Again, I wasn't aiming for a pure metallic green, but rather metallic olive green. After a lot of experimentation, the color above was produced by mixing dark green ink into brazen brass paint.

i actually am in love with the effect! i usually use NMM but its an interesting alternative - you have my thanks metcalfedan! im in the middle of developing the same effect on a drop pod- ill let everyone know how that turns out <_<

thanks again!

<<Damascus>>

Hey Met...I hate working with metallics...but I have to say I do enjoy seeing your posts, and the scheme you have going. I alos have to admit a little jealousy as to how fast you can probably crank out an army.

• 2 weeks later...
I am in the process of stripping the paint off of my army to do a crimson fist army so this tutorial is great for me! I even tried a test model this weekend and I am very happy with the results. However, I do have a question on the method you use to apply the wash? Do you use specific strokes or just do your best to spread the wash around as much as possible? Thanks in advance!

Archived