Viva Metallica

metcalfedan

I am in the process of stripping the paint off of my army to do a crimson fist army so this tutorial is great for me! I even tried a test model this weekend and I am very happy with the results. However, I do have a question on the method you use to apply the wash? Do you use specific strokes or just do your best to spread the wash around as much as possible? Thanks in advance!

I'll try to help you here - you don't need specific strokes, you just slosh it on, in layers, but they have to be as even as possible, or you'll get patches of lighter and darker colours.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks metcalfedan! Because of your Hall of Honor post I'm back in the hobby and working on a Sallys army in this style! I was wondering if you or anyone had tried sealing minis painted this way with any sort of varnish? Will it ruin the look? What isf anything has anyone tried?

Thanks metcalfedan! Because of your Hall of Honor post I'm back in the hobby and working on a Sallys army in this style! I was wondering if you or anyone had tried sealing minis painted this way with any sort of varnish? Will it ruin the look? What isf anything has anyone tried?

I'd love to help but I haven't tried this yet, maybe in a while once I've made some progress on my guard and I'm back to my Fists I'll do a tester for ya :)

QUOTE (Brother Drakist @ Mar 16 2009, 11:06 PM)

I am in the process of stripping the paint off of my army to do a crimson fist army so this tutorial is great for me! I even tried a test model this weekend and I am very happy with the results. However, I do have a question on the method you use to apply the wash? Do you use specific strokes or just do your best to spread the wash around as much as possible? Thanks in advance!

I'll try to help you here - you don't need specific strokes, you just slosh it on, in layers, but they have to be as even as possible, or you'll get patches of lighter and darker colours.

Thanks eyes, I didn't quite know how to describe painting with washes and you just summed it up perfectly for me :)

QUOTE (Brother Drakist @ Mar 16 2009, 11:06 PM)

Thanks eyes, I didn't quite know how to describe painting with washes and you just summed it up perfectly for me :)

:) I did? Oh, I mean, of course I did B)

ok i got a question, dose this look good on other armies apart from marines? and has anyone tried it on other models? im starting up an eldar army to compliment my blood angels force, was going for blue with these guys and though a metalic falcon or fire prysm or even dire avengers would look good. but before i go painting will it work?

opinions or examples would be nice. thanks

anyone have any pics of metalic models that arent Space Marines?, or necrons....

itd be a big help i know its evil to even speak of posting pictues of non marine armies on B&C but itd really help me, plan to fight these eldar with my own blood angels one day. probly have sombody else play the angels

anyone have any pics of metalic models that arent Space Marines?, or necrons....

itd be a big help i know its evil to even speak of posting pictues of non marine armies on B&C but itd really help me, plan to fight these eldar with my own blood angels one day. probly have sombody else play the angels

I'll send you a picture via PM tomorrow, okay?

OK, erm... I think I may have found a way to save some paint AND get a similar effect.

1) Basecoat model black

2) Coat marine in Boltgun Metal

3) Add one layer of Asurmen Blue

4) Add another layer of Asurmen Blue

5) do the small details and the bolter however you please

I was actually trying this out on one of my slightly older Iron SKulls(which I'm repainting into Crimson Fists)

Hope I've been helpful

OK, erm... I think I may have found a way to save some paint AND get a similar effect.

1) Basecoat model black

2) Coat marine in Boltgun Metal

3) Add one layer of Asurmen Blue

4) Add another layer of Asurmen Blue

5) do the small details and the bolter however you please

I was actually trying this out on one of my slightly older Iron SKulls(which I'm repainting into Crimson Fists)

Hope I've been helpful

Can't remember if it was in this topic or the main viva thread but, I already said that the layer of badab black has a purpose - TONAL SHADING. But, of course your free to paint them as you like. :jaw:

BTW, updated the main thread guys. Take a look and please comment.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tryed doing this on a Tank? I attempted it last night but it was... a huge failure.

I would like to paint my Dark Angels in this style I think the Marines will look awesome but I think the tanks and dreadnaughts will be a pain to deal with. Also Does anyone think that doing Raven wing with this style could work? Maybe Boltgun Metal with some black and then a few black washes?

Great thread, I knew that I had to do something with the sternguard squad that I had avoided painting and this was it, they look wonderful. I'll try to get pictures.

Glad to have helped, feel free to post those pictures in the main thread in the HOH. :)

Has anyone tryed doing this on a Tank? I attempted it last night but it was... a huge failure.

See my Predator I'm doing in the main thread :lol:

Also Does anyone think that doing Raven wing with this style could work? Maybe Boltgun Metal with some black and then a few black washes?

See my Chaplain Cassius in the main thread :lol:

I think i'm going to try this with boltgun as the base and then use devlan mud as my wash. this ought to turn out quite nicely right?

Yeah that could look nice, I haven't tried with Delvan Mud so it'd be good to see the results :D

Thanks guys :)

do you think this would work with black? i kinda want a shiny black, and perhaps white to try out on my templars, might be a brand new metallic templar army... if i could get it to work, either way i'll have some shiny metallic templar squads

Can't you read? See my previous post.

Alrighty. Here's some test AoBR marines.

Again, I wasn't aiming for a pure metallic green, but rather metallic olive green. After a lot of experimentation, the color above was produced by mixing dark green ink into brazen brass paint.

That looks awesome! You should do a whole army that way. Can you still buy dark green ink from GW? I have some yellow ink, I wonder if you could make a metallic yellow this way, mixing the yellow ink with say a brass or bronze ink....

They don't sell the inks anymore :( Vallejo anyone?

As for the yellow, I'm not sure - I tried with some watered down yellow paint and at ended up with a slight green tinge, that might have been the pigment though. I also have absolutely NO experience with inks - I don't even own any.

As for the black Marshal van Trapp I'll just repost a pic of cassius here with what I think was the "recipe" might be a bit off as I can't remember off the top of my head :)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/metcalfedan/IMG_0684.jpg

1. Mithril Silver

2. Badab Black

3. Badab Black

3./4. Can't remember if it was 3 or 4 layers of Badab Black, If it looks too light after 3 layers, then add another. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoy the look of the finished models!

I am thinking about doing a space wolves army, and I was wondering if anyone had done anything like that. So far I've used two test minis, one who had the intial coat of badab and then the blue added after a few coats, and one that had the blue as the initial coat.

The latter isn't complete yet, but the first one looks pretty good (no pics available atm).

If anyone else has considered this, let me know :D

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, thanks a lot for this tutorial. I was searching for a good paint scheme for my Imperial Paladins, so I'm using this (up to stage 3 with gold trim). I'm relatively new to the game, and it was the first time I'd used a wash, but it was easy, and again, thanks a lot for the tut :D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived