Viva Metallica

metcalfedan

I found something interesting at the Warstore.

Now, this Viva Metallica style is a really great technique and gives an excellent metallic appearance with a lot of depth. But if you just want quick and easy metallic marines, I recommend this: metallic blue paint which comes from this series of paints. It doesn't give as much depth, but it's fast and easy. I think adding a Badab Black wash would deepen it a bit.

They also have metallic orange, red, green, etc.

I found something interesting at the Warstore.

Now, this Viva Metallica style is a really great technique and gives an excellent metallic appearance with a lot of depth. But if you just want quick and easy metallic marines, I recommend this: metallic blue paint which comes from this series of paints. It doesn't give as much depth, but it's fast and easy. I think adding a Badab Black wash would deepen it a bit.

They also have metallic orange, red, green, etc.

^_^

I think I just wet myself with glee...

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to be painting up a squad of Celestial Lions and I was wondering if it would be possible to paint gold with this technique? I was thinking that over mithril silver, badab black, then various washes of devlan mud and/or gryphone sepia. would this work or would i be better off painting with gold paints?

Great tutorial and scheme by the way metcalfedan I would try it out on some marines but i don't have any of the washes yet

I am going to be painting up a squad of Celestial Lions and I was wondering if it would be possible to paint gold with this technique? I was thinking that over mithril silver, badab black, then various washes of devlan mud and/or gryphone sepia. would this work or would i be better off painting with gold paints?

Great tutorial and scheme by the way metcalfedan I would try it out on some marines but i don't have any of the washes yet

maligncomedy posted a picture of one he's doing with Ogryn Flesh that has a really nice copper tone to it so I think it would work if you found the right color. Here's a link to the post in the Viva Metallica HOH Thread.

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone used this technique on vehicles other than dreadnought? I've started painting my chapter this way and love it.. But now that I need to paint my Vindicators and I'm not sure if it will look good or should I paint it "the normal way".

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried this technique using just metalic silver as the basecoat/ primer 1st?

If so what was the result like?

Humbrol do a metalic silver spray which im thinking of using.

Also has anyone tried replacing the mithril silver with a darker metalic such as boltgun metal?

yellow work or not?

yes yellow would work if done right. may try some practice things first. like a random bit painted yellow and go from there. each wash would do something different though. i did something similar for my imperial fists. i also did something similar for swords and talons for some nids. good luck

also thats a sick color and a very nice job on it. :lol:

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say I love this method for my Grey Knights and makes painting a breeze.

Cedric: I'm planning on picking up an airbrush and using Hawkeye's platinum metal paint with a bit of blue mixed in to mimic the wash effect. Check out awesomepaintjob on youtube to see what that would look like.

Archived