The History and Legacy of Dorn's Betrayal

Aurelius Rex

But isn't it more or less similar as well with the original traitor forces? I mean Abaddon managed to unite Warbands from time to time, but never really putting all the Legions under his banner.

In the Dornian Heresy case we have something quite similar. Various Chaos Warbands joining up every once in a while. Then there are a bunch of Ultramarines Successors who might have fallen to Chaos or maybe even formations of the Loyalists. Another possibility might be that new Space Marine warbands are created by the Dark Mechanicus/Clone Lord/Chaos.

But isn't it more or less similar as well with the original traitor forces? I mean Abaddon managed to unite Warbands from time to time, but never really putting all the Legions under his banner.

In the Dornian Heresy case we have something quite similar. Various Chaos Warbands joining up every once in a while. Then there are a bunch of Ultramarines Successors who might have fallen to Chaos or maybe even formations of the Loyalists. Another possibility might be that new Space Marine warbands are created by the Dark Mechanicus/Clone Lord/Chaos.

I see your point: the chaos forces are more fractured then the GW version of events. However, in the Dornian Heresy you have two potentially equal chaos commanders at the top of the chain, Sigmund and Luther. Abaddon was always relatively peerless. Typhus never commanded forces from the other legions, in fact he subordinated himself during a few actions in the Black Crusades. Khârn doesn't lead, beserkers follow him out of curiosity who, or perhaps more likely: how, he will kill next victim. Lucius, while a charismatic commander, focuses on personal selfish goals. Ahirman is to busy trying to solve the question to the answer of the mysteries of chaos, the universe, and everything Tzeench, and Huron is too small time when compared to the Warmaster.

I'm interested to see if Legion Masters Luther and Sigmund are in fact allies, or perhaps more likely; cut-throat rivals.

what about Sergio Camarena´s Nurgley Blood Angel? Don´t you like it?

Yeah, I forgot that, it's a nice piece as well :D

By the way, coud anyone make a Dawn of War badge & banner pack for the chaos legions? Or just provide the symbols, I would handle the rest.

I'm interested to see if Legion Masters Luther and Sigmund are in fact allies, or perhaps more likely; cut-throat rivals.

What we see are several powerful Chaos factions, sometimes allying, sometimes fighting amongst themselves. It offers us a whole new layer of political intrigue between figures such as Luther, Sigismund and the others.

Hmm, I just noticed something while looking through the Tempus Fugitives Codex for the Horus Heresy. They have a unit based on some old GW concept art called the Perturabo Storm Tank. I guess that in the Dornian Heresy universe that tank might be a more common sight. The Leman Russ Battle Tank on the other hand...named after that Khorne worshipping Traitor? I guess it would either have been renamed or totally removed from the Imperial arsenal!

In a modification of FoK for Dawn of War I renamed the Leman Russ the Lupercal for a small alternate heresy mod. Abaddon's declarations of weakness aside, seemed like a good choice for a relabel.

Within the histoies of the Land Raider their is mention of another tank that was between the LR and Rhino in size and armor. Ledgend holds the this tank was actually common towards the later Crusade era. A 13-12-12 IFV with a 14-13-12 MBT veriant would fit in here nicely.

Also note that Land Raiders might be more common. During the Heresy the Traitors obtained the only world producing them. For this reason the Emperor decreed that only the Adeptus Astartes were allowed to use them (before that the Imperial Army and Adeptus Mechanicus had them too). Perhaps during the Dornian Heresy the Loyalists managed to control this world, allowing the Land Raiders to remain in the other Imperial military organisations as well.

Longtime reader, first time poster. Big fan of your work, Aurelius.

I've liked what's been put out there so far. I recently bought most of the Black Library Horus Heresy books and bulldozed through almost all of them. They were money well spent. Your Dornian Heresy certainly feels like the real deal.

I especially liked the Space Wolves of Khorne. It felt like it fit. I just read your Iron Warriors piece and it was up there with the rest as quite stellar.

That said, I'm eager to see your take on the Iron Hands and the Salamanders, based on the hints already given. They don't get as much screen time as other Astartes, especially compared to the Ultramarines, who I do like. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Ultramarines movie GW is putting together. If they actually did or at least tried to do a Horus Heresy feature or series, that would be something.

But I'm really looking forward to what you have to say about the Alpha Legion. I read Legion from the Horus Heresy series more than once, and they always struck me as the 'secret agent', asymmetrical warfare group of Astartes. I'm highly interested in what you have to say about them.

Keep up the good work!

• 5 weeks later...
Iron Hands IA is coming together, thanks... :) Holiday time (with no computer access) is bearing down on me, but I will keep you all up to date when I know more about a likely publication date.

Personally I just use 'IA' rather than the 'IT' distinction. No objection to it, but they didn't use it in the original GW first founding IA's and it just never caught on with me. :)

this is by far some the best fiction alternate history i have ever read an got me moveing on creating an alternate history army but i wanna waiting an see what happens with the other chapters so far not mentions Iron hands Salamanders Dark Angels etc

• 1 month later...

@Aurelius Rex:

Are there any news for the "Iron Hands"-IA? Or alternatively for a different legion? I just read the "Iron Warriors"-IA and now I´m truly on the edge for another story... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Update on progress for those who have asked... although the bulk of the Iron Hands IA is largely completed (it still needs a lot of polishing to make it ready) it will still be a while longer.

The reason is that after writing nine IA's I have decided to take a break and get some miniature modelling work done for the first time in several years. There has been no time to touch the paint pots in far too long now, and so rather than get burned out on the writing side of things I have consciously held off on finishing the Iron Hands IA for the moment.

So I have managed to expand my force of (norm-'verse) Scions of Dorn, and have also been working on some Dornian Heresy World Eaters. The white was a challenge, but the first six have come out pretty nicely considering I am so used to painting green armour. These power armoured WE are intended to be part of an alternate version of Space Hulk, as they board a Nurgle-infested Blood Angel ship and fight their way through the skittering mutant slaves to destroy the Astartes before they awake from their slumber.

Everything is levelled down in power, so PA rather than TDA, a flamer instead of a heavy flamer, bolter rather than storm bolter, heavy bolter rather than assault cannon, nurgley mutants rather than genestealers. The broodlord can be a 'Lost' BA released from the catacombs by the WE boarding, or even a Nurgley Blood Angel (terminator?) who has awoken early to destroy the Imperial fools!

Sergeant Yorah of the World Eaters brought his chain-axe around in a tight arc and decapitated the skittering mutant thing in mid-leap. They were getting bogged down, and every second brought this hulk of a plague ship closer to the planet. He ordered Brother Kellion to clear the corridor with his heavy bolter and checked the auspex for the best route to the life-support systems. They were so few – a single squad against a whole enemy ship – that their only chance was to destroy the Blood Angels before they could awaken.

In the seconds it had taken Yorah to pinpoint the correct path, his auspex had filled with encroaching blips. Despite the danger, he urged his brethren on into the fray. They were the sons of Angron, unmatched in martial discipline. They would prevail against this Chaos rabble.

More on this when I get the models complete and I get pics up... and of course apologies for the wait until the next lot of articles, but better to energise the creative batteries than risk burnout. :)

Cheers,

Aurelius.

I like alot of what you've done Aurelius, especially with taking existing elements of 40k lore and canon and recasting them in new and unexpected ways. Tying in the wordbearers with the age of apostasy and the echlisiarchy was both cool and original. I've started a list of ideas and questions I'm looking forward to finding out the answers.

1.) is there any connection between the Inquisition and the nightlords? It would seem to be a very natural fit since they are all about causing fear, infiltrating and, unless I'm mistaken, they performed exterminatus on their own homeworld in the regular universe. Also, M'shen and the assassin temples?

2.) is there any connection between this version of the deathguard and the Deathwatch from the ordos xenos? Considering the narrative frame, it might make sense

3.) Who controls Cadia now? Has the planet fallen to the force of chaos or does one or more of the legions guard the eye of terror like in the canon universe?

4.) Did the Salamanders still fight on armaggeddon? Did they LEAD the attack on Armageddon?

5.) If the Iron warriors aren't friends with the Machine priests, is anyone else?

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay in responding to the questions, Culebras. Things have been hectic of late, but when aren't they? :(

I hope you don't mind if I don't go into too much detail about things - in general I would rather put out the information in the IA's that deal with them, so as not to give out spoilers. It is easier here to clarify things in articles that have already been released than to discuss ones not yet out (or completed) for many reasons. ;)

1.) is there any connection between the Inquisition and the nightlords? It would seem to be a very natural fit since they are all about causing fear, infiltrating and, unless I'm mistaken, they performed exterminatus on their own homeworld in the regular universe. Also, M'shen and the assassin temples?

2.) is there any connection between this version of the deathguard and the Deathwatch from the ordos xenos? Considering the narrative frame, it might make sense

Regarding the Inquisition generally, it has not yet been mentioned in any form in the Dornian Heresy project as yet. That is not to say that there is no Inquisition, but that is a story for another time.

3.) Who controls Cadia now? Has the planet fallen to the force of chaos or does one or more of the legions guard the eye of terror like in the canon universe?

Cadia, and its role in history, will appear in the second half of the Dornian Heresy series in a number of places. :D As to who guards the Eye of Terror, the Iron Warrior IA has mentioned that they have set up a network of 'Praeses Worlds' which stand sentinel around the Eye and act as bases to resist Chaos trying to escape. Cadia isn't one of these worlds.

4.) Did the Salamanders still fight on armaggeddon? Did they LEAD the attack on Armageddon?

I'll see what I can squeeze into IA:Sals, although given their nihilistic nature I can't see them leading any force of other Chaos legions. ;)

5.) If the Iron warriors aren't friends with the Machine priests, is anyone else?

There are currently no plans to have a legion slotting into the role that the Iron Hands have with the Mechanicus in the norm-‘verse… instead, the cogboys are significantly weaker in this timeline for a number of reasons, and as the legions are still intact they don’t even control the creation of new foundings.

Cheers,

Aurelius.

Wow, Aurelius, this is amazing!

I especially love your take on the Blood Angels as scavenging, bloodlusting degenerates, i think it ties in extremely well, and could almost be what happened if Sanguinius gave in to Chaos. I have a fair few ideas on the Blood Angels, but before i share them, would it be at all possible for me to write just a short story on the legion, just providing fluff etc? If not no worries :)

Keep up the excellent work pal :)

Archived