The History and Legacy of Dorn's Betrayal

Aurelius Rex

Alpha Legion are due next. :P Following the trend of posting the recent IA's on holidays (Valentine's day for the Iron Warriors, Halloween for the Iron Hands), the Alphas should be due on New Year's Day.

Wow.

You guys have put a lot of effort into this, and it shows.

I really love the Iron Hands one and the Ultramarines one the most because both are written from such interesting differing viewpoints. For the Ultramarines, they were portrayed as more ambiguous considering the information in the other IAs, but I love how the Iron Hands IA is written to make them seem heroic... And then you read the interweaving bits that show what really happened.

From what I can tell, the Dragonshard seems to match the Deceiver in terms of personality (Despite apparently being, you know, attached to the Void Dragon). Seriously, he's against at least two C'tan, manipulates the Iron Hands into putting themselves (and eventually others) into metal bodies, is disguised as something that looks "innocent"... Connection, perhaps?

Also, one small question: the part about Pavonis and the Dyson Sphere seemed very poorly worded. I have no idea if it implies that the Iron Hands destroyed both worlds (And the C'tan within them) or annihilated other worlds near them to keep them undisturbed. So, are the Nightbringer and Outsider dead or not?

First I must thank the team that wrote this awesome piece of art. I haven't red anything 40k fiction even close to this in long times. To me this is in same caste as best books of Black Library are. When finished reading this I felt "Wow, this is how it should have been done". I dream that some day GW will change their current heresy and legions to this. I know this is an huge utopia, but I just wish that would happen.

Of all legions I just love Emperor's Children and Ultramarines and how they are portrayed. Just awesome. And that how legions fell or didn't fell to Chaos is truly genius. I would never think that White Scars would fall to Slaanesh and greatest suprise to me was Blood Angels as it is usually portrayed that they succumb to Slaanesh, not Nurgle. And to the newest articles I found Iron Hands quite interesting as in "offical" fluff Necrons are not mentioned often when speaking about Great Crusade and Legions. To see one Legion to completely study and "mimic" Necrons is nothing other than masterpiece.

For the sake of readers and those who read this please keep up this awesome job you are doing. I ask nothing more and I know that it is not too much asked. At least I hope so. Thank you once again and keep up good work.

• 2 weeks later...
Alpha Legion are due next. B) Following the trend of posting the recent IA's on holidays (Valentine's day for the Iron Warriors, Halloween for the Iron Hands), the Alphas should be due on New Year's Day.

I wasn't kidding about this. It takes a bucketload of time to write these. :)

There's no reason why they shouldn't have. The Emperor's Children were targetted during the Age of Apostasy specifically because they stood out as never having taken chaplains into their organisation. I would say they do, but it isn't a huge part of their character. <_<

I just finished DH:IA Iron Hands and my head just exploded with modeling possibilities.

You are making selecting one chapter to model incredibly difficult. I've already postponed my decision twice. Stop it. Please. :D

My dearest Alpha Legion, I'm trying sooo hard to stay true.

In all seriousness, thank you guys for doing such an amazing job on this. It's just incredible.

There's no reason why they shouldn't have. The Emperor's Children were targetted during the Age of Apostasy specifically because they stood out as never having taken chaplains into their organisation. I would say they do, but it isn't a huge part of their character. :P

Roger that :)

Now you've mentioned it, how is it possible, if the Imperium's official religion is to belive in the God Emperor, for a chapter to refuse to have chaplains? Isn't that heresy, even by the standards of a non-tyrannic Ecclesiarchy? B)

Now you've mentioned it, how is it possible, if the Imperium's official religion is to belive in the God Emperor, for a chapter to refuse to have chaplains? Isn't that heresy, even by the standards of a non-tyrannic Ecclesiarchy? :blush:

I guess that, if the Ecclesiarchy sometimes hesitates about bothering an Astartes Chapter about their beliefs in the 40K universe we know, it should be really much more hesitant to bother a full ancient and respected Legion. Also, given that a Primarch (Lorgar) was behind the creation of the Emperor´s Church itself, the institution would perhaps be a bit more considered about Astartes. What do you think, Aurelius?

I would agree with Badaboom that the Ecclesiarchy would know not to push too far against the power of a legion, with a great analogy being how the norm-'verse Ministorum knows not to get too pushy with the first founding Space Wolves. That's not to say that just because the Emperor's Children don't have Chaplains, their officers wouldn't use that kind of language in their rhetoric. They may well believe in Him as the God-Emperor - it is just that due to Fulgrim's decree, they won't be changing their organisation to reflect this by including chaplains in their ranks.

It seems that Lorgar was happy enough with the situation, and it was only after his death, when Vandire rose to power and started throwing his weight about, that this point of dogma was used to pick a fight with the Emperor's Children. This could be seen as a terrible mistake on Vandire's point, as the EC were never going to change. With threats of being classed as heretics being made, it forced the issue and other legions like the World Eaters, who did have chaplains, sided with Fulgrim's legion. The other Astartes, and even most of the Word Bearers, realised how insane Vandire was, but kept out of it for fear of triggering another inter-legionnary war. Thankfully someone arose from amongst the Word Bearer's own ranks to challenge and finally defeat Vandire, which neatly turned it into more of an 'internal' dispute. :P

I just finished DH:IA Iron Hands and my head just exploded with modeling possibilities.

You are making selecting one chapter to model incredibly difficult. I've already postponed my decision twice. Stop it. Please. :P

My dearest Alpha Legion, I'm trying sooo hard to stay true.

In all seriousness, thank you guys for doing such an amazing job on this. It's just incredible.

I know that pain. :huh:

I've been looking forward to Loyalist Night Lords since I read the overview, and have been absolutely stunned at how crazy awesome some of the other chapters have proven to be.

Especially the Thousand Sons and Iron Hands.

I want a DH Iron Hands Land Raider so badly I can almost taste it. If I actually had the time, artistic talent, or money, I'd probably make one anyway, giggling deliriously as I did so. :P

But if I'm making a DH legion, I only really have a choice of Night Lords. And I have to keep telling myself that. :P

I wasn't kidding about this. It takes a bucketload of time to write these.

Having been privy to some of the development process for writing these, I can vouch that Aurelius and the others don't slouch when it comes to putting these articles together. It's a ridiculously large amount of work, and the fact that he's done this many awesome articles this quickly is a hell of an achivement.

Just spent the entire morning reading the entire thread.Very good writing, but one thing keeps bothering me.Is there going to be any Inquisition or its equivalent?Without that you lose the Grey Knights, Deathwatch, the Assassins, and many other things that are a large part of the 40k universe.

@Maximvs - I shall certainly consider this, although modelling DH miniatures often gets pushed aside in the rush to get the IA articles themselves out. :blush:

@Ace - Thanks for such kind words, mate! :D

@God of War - Glad you are enjoying it so far. :) There has consciously not been any mention of the Inquisition in the Dornian Heresy articles published so far... Does that mean that it was never created, and that other organisations have moved to take on the roles they fill? Keep reading! The Sisters of Battle were never formed (IA: Word Bearers) and there is a group by the name of the Grey Knights mentioned in IA: Thousand Sons... although there the similarity ends. ;) As the storyline is being told exclusively through the format of the individual IA articles, the focus is on the perspective of the legions. There may be more on this subject in IA: Alpha Legion, as long as it survived the eventual editing process. :)

Oh, and like before, I will be making various edits and improvements to the articles posted on the board before they get made into the PDF format - this feedback has helped me a lot and pointed me in the right direction, especially to clarify what is going on with the Blackstones in IA: IH. :)

Edit: @Techmarine - Yes, the Assassins would indeed remain in the Dornian Heresy universe - I am reading Nemesis at the moment. :)

sorry i do have 1 niggle with the iron hands fluff concerning the necron race,

If the necrons never left their flesh forms to morph into the steel bodies there should of been no war with the old ones meaning no creation of the eldar, orks and possibiliy even the human race.

Archived