The History and Legacy of Dorn's Betrayal

Aurelius Rex

Ah, this is something that I will have to make clear when I review and improve the article for the PDF. C'tan / Necron history happened pretty much as in the norm-'verse up until the arrival of Manus. In both versions the Necrons were hibernating, and while the HH ones stayed asleep until mid-M41, here they were dormant until they were destroyed when the premature activation of the Dragon devastated the tomb-world machines. I think the easiest way to show that they were not actually dead - even that they were active, and simply 'waiting', will be through a brief colourpiece sidebar, and to show that at least one of the 'statues' has moved. "There is a difference between 'patient' and 'dead'." :devil:

@God of War - The Sisters of Battle were never formed (IA: Word Bearers) and there is a group by the name of the Grey Knights mentioned in IA: Thousand Sons... although there the similarity ends. :devil:

I imagine that with their psychic powers the Thousand Sons have taken over the role of Daemon Hunters as such for the Imperium in place of the Grey Knights with the Word Bearers having taken on the duties the Sisters have in the canon-universe.

EDIT: Looking really forward to the Salamanders and Alpha Legion Aurelius, keep up the good work!

Ok, I am sufficiently enthralled by the Iron Hands article that I'd like AR's approval to start the codex exercise for them. My brain dump on the subject, which would provide the framework for designing the codex would be:

Dornian Heresy IA Army List thoughts

1. I see a blend of Codex SM (Iron Hands meet Relictors), Necrons, and maybe a little Grey Knights.

2. I see a focus on terminators, tacticals, and devastators for foot. Maybe an elite choice with “Pariah” characteristics. No fast attack. Heavy choices might be limited to Landraiders, maybe some sort of Thunderfire equivalent. So ponderous, but brutal.

3. All units in the army may Deep Strike. I would include a phase out rule to represent the Legion in its rebuilding phase and needing to preserve existing forces.

4. Characters in the form of Iron Fathers would play a significant role. As Manus is still alive, he'll probably have C'tan-ish stats.

5. Ideally, rather than try to make the list look like Space Marines with an “N” on their foreheads, I’d like to see an equal blend between SM and Necron abilities. So SM will give up a fair bit to gain what the Necrons would give them.

6. Landraiders have the Living Metal rule.

7. No transportation as teleportation will be the main form of moving things around when not walking.

8. Thinking that Landraiders would act like Monoliths, i.e. provide portals for moving units around. More landraiders, more units can teleport around. Landraiders would still move on the ground, as they are improvements on existing technology, not completely different vehicles. There would need to be a cost balancing act going on, obviously.

9. All troops and vehicles will be armed with gauss weaponry.

10. If I could find a way to work in the new FW Tomb Stalker, I would. :)

So AR, do you see any obviously unsuited tangents that I've listed, as far as your vision goes?

I think that’s it for now.

Cheers,

Really neat, congratulations B)

Only one tiney-tiny disapproval: With Fulgrim dead, all the interesting guys (Angron, Alpharius, Horus, Curze, Perturabo) went bye-bye, with no hope of return... :( It's a bit disappointing, becouse these boys could've made the whole thing a lot more rock 'n roll for the Imperium, unlike Magnus, or Mortarion :cuss

That is the one thing that's kind of bugged me about the DH; loyal primarchs have been killed off to the point where it's starting to look a bit gratuitous.

On the contrary, there are more active loyalist primarchs in the Dornian Heresy than in the HH norm-'verse, where to all intents and purposes none still lead their legions. The ones that did die in the alt-'verse, I hope were at least given a good send-off, in comparison to 'one day they just disappeared, but might one day return' that had already been somewhat over-used as a fate for HH loyalist primarchs. :)

On the contrary, there are more active loyalist primarchs in the Dornian Heresy than in the HH norm-'verse, where to all intents and purposes none still lead their legions. The ones that did die in the alt-'verse, I hope were at least given a good send-off, in comparison to 'one day they just disappeared, but might one day return' that had already been somewhat over-used as a fate for HH loyalist primarchs. :)

True; the fact that the Loyalist primarchs have a higher casualty rate is arguably offset and explained by the fact that they play a much, much larger role in the post-Heresy Imperium, as opposed to their more-or-less unexplained mass disappearance in the canon universe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

still loving everything you're doing, and looking forward to every upcoming article.

had to re-read the IW to make good sense of what was going, as they're background was so...alien...when compared to the other Legiones Astartes (good and bad). which is not a criticism by any means, but more of an observation and interpretation of your writing.

more than anything, every single article that you write gets closer to the day you upload the alternate IA on my beloved Death Guard.

is Garro a bad guy in the other verse?

can't wait to find out, and thanks again for the effort you've put into this work. it really shows you care about what you're writing about.

Apologies for this, but despite great progress over the last week or so (despite being called to assemble the DH Iron Warrior Shadowsword I got for Christmas) I am still at least a week from getting the Alpha Legion article ready for publication. :P

So sorry about this, but it will be just a little longer.

As to Cadia, something on that subject will be mentioned in one of the AL article's colourpieces... And Kelbor-Hal is right - it is a Chaos held world! ;)

Regarding Garro, he was OK when he had the colourpiece cameo appearance in the Blood Angel IA article. We will have to see if he turns up again in the Death Guard IA. :)

A shamefaced happy New Year,

Aurelius.

Apologies for this, but despite great progress over the last week or so (despite being called to assemble the DH Iron Warrior Shadowsword I got for Christmas) I am still at least a week from getting the Alpha Legion article ready for publication. :(

So sorry about this, but it will be just a little longer.

As to Cadia, something on that subject will be mentioned in one of the AL article's colourpieces... And Kelbor-Hal is right - it is a Chaos held world! :)

Regarding Garro, he was OK when he had the colourpiece cameo appearance in the Blood Angel IA article. We will have to see if he turns up again in the Death Guard IA. :P

A shamefaced happy New Year,

Aurelius.

What? NO!! IMPOSSIBLE! ATROCIOUS! BETRAYAL!.....

Nah, just kidding.

Thanks alot for all the time and effort you and your editing crew put into making these wonderful articles for us to read. Your first PDF compilation was absolutely awesome.

Looking forward to what the future holds.

Happy New Year!

Archived