[Daemon review] Armoury.

Captain Malachi

Well, I told you I'd have Slaanesh up tonight, so as promised, here it is.

Gifts of Slaanesh:

Aura of aquiescence:

Grenades, 5 points. What you need to ask yourself is why you aren’t taking it. It’s too cheap and useful to ever pass up.

Pavane of Slaanesh:

Moving the enemies units is pretty powerful, though it comes at a price. For one, you won’t be fleeting, which is what a lot of Slaaneshi units want to do, and it often costs a lot. However, it does allow you to move the enemy out of cover to receive a charge from your bloodletters or bunch up a unit to get a pounding from a blast or template weapon. Can be very powerful if used right, but it takes skill.

Rending claws:

Rending. That’s pretty much it, you can’t buy it for anything. The units who have it often have a lot of low strength attacks, it’s helpful but it won’t win you the game on its own.

Soporific musk:

Get in to combat, kill a few models and then leg it. Can be very powerful, or it can leave you in the open to get shot to death. Be careful when using it. It allows you to escape those big, dangerous close combat units and go back to picking on the weakling shooty units Slaaneshi units love so much.

Transfixing gaze:

Mostly useful on the keeper of secrets and the daemon prince for the ability to limit the amount of powerfist attacks heading your way, otherwise it’s pretty pointless.

Right, well if noone has any thoughts on Slaanesh's section I'll just assume it's fine, so here's Nurgles.

Gifts of Nurgle:

Aura of decay:

Mostly, it’s a low strength, short range, quite expensive large blast, not really worth it on most units. If you are only playing low amour save horde armies it can be useful, but most of the time you’ll want to leave this one.

Cloud of flies:

Grenades, like aura of aquiescence, it’s pretty much mandatory. Not quite as powerful as aura since Nurgle units have lower initiative, but still pretty nice. Mandatory most of the time.

Noxious touch:

Easily one of the most powerful upgrades in the codex. Wounding anything on a 2+ is lethal, especially so on daemon princes. Also comes on great unclean ones, where it us helpful, but can be brought for plaguebearers and heralds. However, it’s generally not recommended on these units, it won’t make plaguebearers good in combat, and Nurgle heralds are generally not very good anyway.

Plaguesword:

The standard weapon for plaguebearers and Nurgle heralds, it lets you wound anything on a 4+. Pretty good most of the time, but it won’t win you the game, it just makes you a little better in combat.

Slaanesh looks pretty good.

I'd note that Aura of Decay is only S2, so it's really ONLY marginally useful vs. things like guard and low-save eldar. Anyone with T4 gets wounded only on 6+.

I'd add that Cloud of Flies is mandatory especially because of our slow foot speed.

For the Plaguesword, I'd note that it makes you able to wound anything, but generally everyone with a plaguesword only has 1 base attack. Plagueswords scare MCs, though.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, this one has been done for a while now, but while looking through it I realised I never wrote anything up for icons (I know, I'm stupid :P). So here it is, what do you think?

Icons of chaos:

Simply put, you get some degree of accuracy in your deep striking, which for our army is pretty good. However, you pay a lot, and don’t get to use them on your first turn. On the plus side, you can choose where to land, provided it’s within the range of the icon. That’s about it for the pros, but it’s a pretty big pro.

On the other side, you pay a lot, 25 points a time. You can’t use them first turn. You only have a 6” radius to deep strike in, and part of that will be covered by the unit holding the icon. The main problem though is that since the icon holder has to deep strike first, you’ll likely end up some distance from where you really want to be. What this means is that even with icons, you can’t guarantee you’ll be in range soon enough.

I you take icons, it’s recommended you put them on either plaguebearers or horrors, since these are the more durable units. A few units that really benefit from the presence of icons are flamers, soulgrinders and particularly fast or slow daemons. Flamers can use an icon near enemy infantry to get a very powerful drop-breath attack. Soulgrinders just really need to avoid cover. Fast daemons can afford to drop further away near the safety of an icon, while slow daemons need to be as close as possible to affect the battle at all.

little long winded and some grammatical issues (start of 3rd paragraph, you mean to say I usually take right?)

I'd try to condense it a bit more, in essence the arguement is that you're paying a fair number of points for some added accuracy in your deepstriking.

Icons should go on Plaguebearers or Horrors as they can protect them better, faster units have less need for Icons because they have their speed to make up for a bad landing while slow/heavy units like Bloodcrushers could really benefit from having an exact deepstrike because of their base size.

Minigun, you're absolutely right, it was too long, so how's this?

Icons of chaos:

Simply put, you get some degree of accuracy in your deep striking, which for our army is pretty good. However, you pay a lot, and don’t get to use them on your first turn. They should really be put on plaguebearers or horrors since they can protect them better. Certain units get more of a bonus than others from icons (soulgrinders come to mind here), while others really couldn’t care less. Just remember that they cost quite a lot.

Minigun, you're absolutely right, it was too long, so how's this?

Icons of chaos:

Simply put, you get some degree of accuracy in your deep striking, which for our army is pretty good. However, you pay a lot, and don’t get to use them on your first turn. They should really be put on plaguebearers or horrors since they can protect them better. Certain units get more of a bonus than others from icons (soulgrinders come to mind here), while others really couldn’t care less. Just remember that they cost quite a lot.

Good but I'd specify why certain units get more of a bonus out of them (base size being the big thing) and other units don't care (their enhanced speed usually). So slow/big base units = good for Icons while fast/small base units = bad for Icons

OK I've edited it and it's all good now.

Here it is if you really need to see it:

Icons of chaos:

Simply put, you get some degree of accuracy in your deep striking, which for our army is pretty good. However, you pay a lot, and don’t get to use them on your first turn. They should really be put on plaguebearers or horrors since they can protect them better. Certain units get more of a bonus than others from icons, while others really couldn’t care less, mainly it‘s slow units that need to be close soon and units with a big base that need icons. Just remember that they cost quite a lot.

Archived