New Blood Angels player WIP *NEW PICTURES*

schuurthing

To make things a bit more complicated: gravel from what terrain? Badlands? Deserts? Ash waste/scorched earth? NY Central Park? :D

(though perhaps for starters, plain graveyard earth gravel base drybrushed with bleached bone would be ok? just a suggestion though :) )

To make things a bit more complicated: gravel from what terrain? Badlands? Deserts? Ash waste/scorched earth? NY Central Park? :tu:

(though perhaps for starters, plain graveyard earth gravel base drybrushed with bleached bone would be ok? just a suggestion though :P )

Hm... maybe I'll do something like that. I currently don't have a brown or bone though :\. I'll have to get some eventually to paint my captain and the purity seals but I'm at a lack of funds and mobility here at school. And will it be a problem that whatever texture I put on there WON'T be primed?

... And will it be a problem that whatever texture I put on there WON'T be primed?

Indeed it wont be primed, though one can water down the paint as much as needed so it can run into the texture/crevices. The high spots will be drybrushed anyways...

... And will it be a problem that whatever texture I put on there WON'T be primed?

Indeed it wont be primed, though one can water down the paint as much as needed so it can run into the texture/crevices. The high spots will be drybrushed anyways...

Awesome. I've been looking at your thread of your WIP. Amazing. If it weren't for the fact that I'm broke and a novice, I'd strip the paint off these guys and start over so I could get near that result! Why do you and many others paint the shoulder pad trim black? I thought they were red for BA's. Also, I love how your seals came out, could I have a little insight as to how you did that?

Why do you and many others paint the shoulder pad trim black? I thought they were red for BA's. Also, I love how your seals came out, could I have a little insight as to how you did that?

I dunno about the others, but for me, it's for simplicity's sake as I prime my figs black (plus there's supporting fluff/GW pics that some time ago -3rd ed?- BAs have black pouldron trims :tu:...

As for my seals, erm, could you elaborate? Painting wise or perhaps you mean that I sculpted them...?

Why do you and many others paint the shoulder pad trim black? I thought they were red for BA's. Also, I love how your seals came out, could I have a little insight as to how you did that?

I dunno about the others, but for me, it's for simplicity's sake as I prime my figs black (plus there's supporting fluff/GW pics that some time ago -3rd ed?- BAs have black pouldron trims :tu:...

As for my seals, erm, could you elaborate? Painting wise or perhaps you mean that I sculpted them...?

Ah, I mean painting, yes. They look so authentic.

Righty, though not as authentic as I want to :tu:

- basecoat GW Graveyard Earth

- 1:1 Graveyard Earth and Bleached Bone

- Bleached Bone, leaving some of the previous layer showing

HTH

Righty, though not as authentic as I want to :lol:

- basecoat GW Graveyard Earth

- 1:1 Graveyard Earth and Bleached Bone

- Bleached Bone, leaving some of the previous layer showing

HTH

Very awesome. I don't think I'll be done painting my marines for some time, because I need more paints! All I have is Baal Red, Ogryn Flesh, Black, White, Blood Red, Blazing Orange, Golden Yellow, Boltgun Metal and Mechrite red. Stupid college tuition! The AoBR models have the tactical markings on them and I didn't want to shave them, I don't have the steady hand for that yet. I'm thinking black for them? Or would that be too much?

if you dont want to shave the shoulders you could go fre a pre heresy kind of look and have white arrows with the company blood drop on it.

I saw a pic of that somewhere don't remember where though (although impretty sure it was on the B&C)

if you dont want to shave the shoulders you could go fre a pre heresy kind of look and have white arrows with the company blood drop on it.

I saw a pic of that somewhere don't remember where though (although impretty sure it was on the B&C)

That's a thought. Might look cool since I'm 5th company and would have a black drop.

This is a shameless bump, I'm not sure what to do next. I would like some insight. Thanks! :whistling:

Well, here's a checklist of what I would like to see:

• 'grills' at the backpack exhaust painted black, then perhaps picked with boltgun metal
  • again 'grills' at the backpack (the one right behind, see flamer dude pic)
  • boltgun metal at the skull/s of the backpacks
  • black on that 'indent' on the backpack just behind the helm/head of the mini (or paint gray/metal then slosh on the black wash for laziness :P)
  • start with black on the grenades, then with whatever color you want to use (I personally use greens on my grenades)
  • black on pouches then with whatever color you want to use (I personally use browns on my grenades, gonna do scorched brown -> graveyard earth on my next batch)
  • start basing: flock/sand is the order for the day, once glue has set/dried, water down your black and slosh it on for coverage
  • decals: company markings (right pouldron) and chapter icon (left pouldron). Money-permit get some decal solution: it'll make your decals softer and conform better to the curve of the pouldron. As I read you're doing 5th company, still go with putting the yellow decal onto your shoulderpad then paint it black (the decal will be your guide, unless you feel you're up to it and do it freehand)
  • last but not the least: blacklining. You may want to use your wash and let it into the recesses of the mini. Touch up afterwards.

Well, not to sound pushy, but I do make myself checklists as to what I want/need to do with my figs (and mark them as 'finished' when I'm happy with the results)...

btw, you mentioned that you've done minis waaay back 2003... might I ask if you dont mind what you had back then? (also pics or it didnt happen :P )

HTH, cheers!

This is a shameless bump, I'm not sure what to do next. I would like some insight. Thanks! ;)

Well, here's a checklist of what I would like to see:

• 'grills' at the backpack exhaust painted black, then perhaps picked with boltgun metal
  • again 'grills' at the backpack (the one right behind, see flamer dude pic)
  • boltgun metal at the skull/s of the backpacks
  • black on that 'indent' on the backpack just behind the helm/head of the mini (or paint gray/metal then slosh on the black wash for laziness :P)
  • start with black on the grenades, then with whatever color you want to use (I personally use greens on my grenades)
  • black on pouches then with whatever color you want to use (I personally use browns on my grenades, gonna do scorched brown -> graveyard earth on my next batch)
  • start basing: flock/sand is the order for the day, once glue has set/dried, water down your black and slosh it on for coverage
  • decals: company markings (right pouldron) and chapter icon (left pouldron). Money-permit get some decal solution: it'll make your decals softer and conform better to the curve of the pouldron. As I read you're doing 5th company, still go with putting the yellow decal onto your shoulderpad then paint it black (the decal will be your guide, unless you feel you're up to it and do it freehand)
  • last but not the least: blacklining. You may want to use your wash and let it into the recesses of the mini. Touch up afterwards.

Well, not to sound pushy, but I do make myself checklists as to what I want/need to do with my figs (and mark them as 'finished' when I'm happy with the results)...

btw, you mentioned that you've done minis waaay back 2003... might I ask if you dont mind what you had back then? (also pics or it didnt happen :P )

HTH, cheers!

I'm heading home this weekend, I'll get pics then. =)

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/schuurthing/Blood%20Angels/CIMG1858.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/schuurthing/Blood%20Angels/CIMG1865.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/schuurthing/Blood%20Angels/CIMG1863.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/schuurthing/Blood%20Angels/CIMG1866.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/schuurthing/Blood%20Angels/CIMG1862.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/schuurthing/Blood%20Angels/CIMG1861.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/schuurthing/Blood%20Angels/CIMG1860.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/schuurthing/Blood%20Angels/CIMG1859.jpg

I only have two guys up to this standard. I have a lot more pictures, but I don't want to flood the thread. If you're interested: http://photobucket.com/schuurthingBA, they're in chronological order, so newest pictures start on the bottom row of page 1.

Edit: changed where the pictures start, nothing important.

One more guy up to this point. I also fooled around with free-handing the emblems on the knee and shoulder of the one with the scope. Then I added some of the fluffy markings on the shoulders. I think they're really coming along.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/schuurthing/Blood%20Angels/CIMG1867.jpg

My first three to reach this level, plus the flamer from before, just for comparison.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/schuurthing/Blood%20Angels/CIMG1871.jpg

Added some markings and the squad number to his shoulder.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/schuurthing/Blood%20Angels/CIMG1869.jpg

I really didn't screw up the right side THAT bad, the little indent in the armor that I have been painting black on all of them seems to run into it. If I outline the black spot with the orange highlight, it'll be less ugly.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/schuurthing/Blood%20Angels/CIMG1870.jpg

So, what do you think? I need more ideas/critiques to keep going!

Really nice, I like the old school Blood Angels Orange colour you've got going on there. :)

The highlights look a bit rough in the close ups but I know from experience that it looks way better on the tabletop.

Really nice, I like the old school Blood Angels Orange colour you've got going on there. :D

The highlights look a bit rough in the close ups but I know from experience that it looks way better on the tabletop.

It's funny you should mention that, I just ran a thin black wash on them. They look better. And the lighting adds a lot of orange. Thanks though!!!!

if you're looking for really easy fast bases, there should be a tutorial for imperial tile floating around in the archive. I posted the first one way back in 2004, but I think it got lost when they redid the board. I know John Thompson reposted his version of the original, and I think I saw his in the librarium.

either way, it takes about 2 minutes to whip up a nice base, so I highly recommend using it, it's really useful.

it'd look like the one on the left.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff297/pchol/bases.jpg

if you're looking for really easy fast bases, there should be a tutorial for imperial tile floating around in the archive. I posted the first one way back in 2004, but I think it got lost when they redid the board. I know John Thompson reposted his version of the original, and I think I saw his in the librarium.

either way, it takes about 2 minutes to whip up a nice base, so I highly recommend using it, it's really useful.

it'd look like the one on the left.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff297/pchol/bases.jpg

very cool effect. I think I want a darker, dirtier base though.

I just found drones upon drones of old sprues. I realized that I never finished anything. I'm sure I had a 1500pt necron force (painted white and neon blue, it was appealing) somewhere. I'm still going through it all, and trying to salvage any marine bits. I have like, 200 points of dark eldar, a few squads of berzerkers, some nurgle marines from AGES ago (1995-ish, that's ages to someone my age), some warhammer fantasy dwarfs, skaven and chaos. This is ridiculous. The best part is the HORRID painting of them. What do you expect from someone 8-12. I am a little embarrassed. I will get pictures soon. Are there benefits to saving these unused bits and pieces? I'm working with my AoBR set, so I think it's not a horrible idea to have things to spice up a force.

I just found drones upon drones of old sprues. I realized that I never finished anything. I'm sure I had a 1500pt necron force (painted white and neon blue, it was appealing) somewhere. I'm still going through it all, and trying to salvage any marine bits. I have like, 200 points of dark eldar, a few squads of berzerkers, some nurgle marines from AGES ago (1995-ish, that's ages to someone my age), some warhammer fantasy dwarfs, skaven and chaos. This is ridiculous. The best part is the HORRID painting of them. What do you expect from someone 8-12. I am a little embarrassed. I will get pictures soon. Are there benefits to saving these unused bits and pieces? I'm working with my AoBR set, so I think it's not a horrible idea to have things to spice up a force.

Hehehe, I guess a kid aged 8-12 is still prohibited from transacting in eBay :unsure:

Hehehe, I guess a kid aged 8-12 is still prohibited from transacting in eBay :unsure:

Oh, the sets that are mildly still "mint" are getting peddled, believe that. But I'm going to teach some friends in the dorms how to play, so maybe having a few 400-500 point squads (roughly what's in the AoBR box) would be good!

Edit: You know I'm 18 now, right? Haha.

Archived