Heresy Era Imperial Fists

Ufthak

Hey all!!!

FINALLY got round to posting the first images of my Fists!!!

Now: I decided to let them be part of Sigismunds 1st Company, which is why I gave them the Templar cross (black on white) as a Grand Company marking. I decided to put the chapter symbol on the left shoulder pad and the Grand Company marking on the right. I'm still not sure where to put the Company marking and the squad type marking - but I guess I'll stick them on the kneepads (I'm open to suggestions...).

Now, my first 6 Marines (1-4 are completed save the missing markings and bases, 5 and 6 are still in progress):

No. 1:

sporting MKVI helmet, MkV/VI/VII legs (MkV without studs, MkVI kneepad version, or standard MkVII), with a MkV torso, Goodwyn pattern Bolter

gallery_42816_3520_233807.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_212443.jpg

No. 2:

MkVI helmet and legs, plus a torso which could be a MkVI (with cabling relayed inside) or a MkVII (without Aquila), Goodwyn pattern Bolter

gallery_42816_3520_2600.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_97142.jpg

No. 3:

Full MkV suit, older pattern Bolter

gallery_42816_3520_272494.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_130378.jpg

Homemade studs on legs:

gallery_42816_3520_15571.jpg

No. 4:

Full MkV suit, studs on both shoulder pads, legs missing studs, older pattern Bolter

gallery_42816_3520_168057.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_287411.jpg

No. 5:

Full MkVI suit, Goodwyn pattern Bolter (unfinished, work in progress)

gallery_42816_3520_250760.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_118101.jpg

No. 6:

Full Mk IV suit. Particularly proud of this one, since it took bitz from quite a few different boxes plus some Green Stuff to do. I think it turned out quite well (Unfinished, work in progress)

gallery_42816_3520_32930.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_239017.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_30573.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_294377.jpg

There's more on the way, but knowing myself it'll be a while yet before I can post more images...

Well then, watcha think? :lol:

• 1 month later...

@SamaNagol:

You mean the old 2nd Ed bolters I used on some of the models? Firstly, you're the first person I've met who actually likes them :D and secondly, if you ask around among other 40K hobbyists you're bound to find someone who still has a batch of them at home, I got all these from old gamers who didn't need them...

Still trying to get my hands on 1st Ed bolters though...hard as h**l to find and obtain...

Hm...well, since it is probably the armour with the heaviest burden (weightwise), I simply can't imagine Devastators using it, considerung the fact they already have to manhandle massive heavy bolters and the like. The reduced rear armour doesn't really seem like a big problem to me, since most of the back is covered by the power pack; and if the power pack gets damaged, any armour is prone to failure, not just the MkIII. Plus, I think that the chances of being shot at from behind are slimmer during a frontal assault than during a covert operation, a deep strike or a defence.

Sorry if I sound like know-it-all...just speaking my mind...

See duder, you say that like power armour feels heavy to the wearer. It shouldn't, the whole point in having powered armour is to negate the weight by having the suit move with the wearer inside :huh:

Really nice army you've got here and coincidently I'm currently collecting models to do the exact same thing.

I think that the beauty of a siege of terra army is that you have far greater access to armour marks, including up to Mk VII, than a straight pre-heresy force which is limited to Mk II to Mk IV.

The way that I read it is that many legions were in the process of upgrading to Mk IV when the heresy broke out and so Mk II would probably still been one of the most widespread armour variants in use.

It's possible that the Godwyn was in production at the same time as the Aquila armour so may have seen action at the siege.

Many of the helmets made no days by GW that people use for Pre-Heresy are slightly incorrect. The forge world MkIV is more akin to a Mk VII variant than a true Mk IV as it lacks the thin part that goes across the top of the head and the nose guard.

The thing about heresy era though is that many of the techmarines were forced to improvise. The MK IV is probably the most flexible suit of the time as you can customise the armour rather than need to do an exact copy.

Keep up the good work, I'll be watching this with interest! ^_^

@Mauler:

:) Generally, you're right, but honestly, I still think the armour is gonna be quite heavy - the fibre bundles can replicate the strength of the wearer maybe threefold or so, but that doesn't mean the thing's gonna be heavy. The way I see it, it's not as heavy as it should be, but still heavy.

@Doghouse:

The MkII and III are so difficult to do, but by far I like them the most, and am still experimenting :) You're right, what many people use for Pre-Heresy armour really isn't Pre-Heresy armour. I try to stick to the old Rogue Trader sketches.

I'll have an update coming along soon, did some more painting today ;)

Alrighty, here's the update:

Finished a further MkVI marine, and almost finished the MkVI vet sarge as well as the MkIV Plasma gunner. My favourite, the MkIII vet sarge, is also slowly coming along.

Sorry about the bad quality of the pics.

gallery_42816_3520_50961.jpg

Detail of shoulder pad:

gallery_42816_3520_207783.jpg

Stud-head painting in progress. I'm quite proud of this MkV helmet, though he's a son of a b***h to paint...

gallery_42816_3520_120686.jpg

Plasma gunner:

gallery_42816_3520_375894.jpg

Vet Sarge 1:

gallery_42816_3520_246416.jpg

Vet Sarge 2:

gallery_42816_3520_262890.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_250733.jpg

Detail of shoulder pad on recently finished MkV marine:

gallery_42816_3520_173860.jpg

And now, may I proudly present my very first attempt at the hideously difficult MkII "Crusade" pattern power armour:

gallery_42816_3520_133526.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_186257.jpg

Whatcha think of it? :P

Now, a further question:

The following images are taken from my copy of the "Horus Heresy: Collected Visions". I'm particularly interested in the helmet. Can anyone tell me what sort of helmet it is? Which armour mark is it? I vaguely recall someone saying somewhere that it's called the "Macragge" pattern helmet, and is a (Ultramarine?) variant of the MkV Heresy suit. Anyone know anything more?

gallery_42816_3520_756694.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_788452.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_158601.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_204075.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_170820.jpg

I checked out the Visions and apparently it is used widely by the Ultramarines, but there are also pics of Emperor's Children and Blood Angels wearing them. Anyone help me?

Nope, ain't Iron Armour, I checked it out - it's quite different. And apart from that, the rest of the suit doesn't resemble MkIII armour at all - much rather MkV...

Its just a variation of MkV armor Im told. Each of the Legions did the Facemask a bit different when they could.... thats why the ones the ultramarines have is called "Maccragge Pattern" because its their own "tailored" version.

By the way, I really like the work youve done here... keep it up.

Just to clear up a slight misunderstanding, the 'Macragge pattern' is simply the name I coined for the helmet type in my blog – it's not a canonical or 'official' term. I think there's a copy of the tutorial I did for them in the Librarium. ;)

Nice looking Fists, by the way – the attention to detail's great!

Nope, ain't Iron Armour, I checked it out - it's quite different. And apart from that, the rest of the suit doesn't resemble MkIII armour at all - much rather MkV...

True, the armour matches more MkV than MkIII but the helms are far more MkIII than MkV:

MkV is the forerunner to the MkVI that was out when I first collected Marines & MkVII that was introduced shortly after. Central grille, two-piece 'top and front' design, no visible piping, protruding 'beak' (MkVI) or grille (MkV & MkVII)...

MkIII has the blatant 'crease' down the middle, side grilles, the piping at either side under the front & no protruding lower half as the front looks flat. Like the pictures.

Thanks for the comments guys ;) Yep, I pay attention to details, which is probably the reason I'm so slow at getting the job done ;)

True, it seems every Legion has it's own tailored armour - the Thousand Sons have the Gold visors on their helmets with scarabs as well as MkVII-ish helms, the Imperial Fists favour MkIII versions, the Death Guard like Gas-mask-like helms, the Emperor's Children seem to like gold visors with air vents, the World Eaters (especially the assault squads) prefer MkVII-ish style helmets with wide screaming mouths, the Dark Angels favour helms with small wings and eye-slits, etc.

Alrighty, then I'll take the armour as an Ultramarine MkV variant. Now a further question: in your opinion, would other Legions also use this helm? It seems to be particular to the Ultramarines...but then, there's pics of Emperor's Children and Blood Angels wearing them...whatcha think?

If its a MkV helm I would say that with Macragge's reputation for making good equipment that Any Legions that could get them would use them. It is however unlikly that Dorn and his men could get them being 60K lightyears away on Terra Scince the MkV entered production after the start of hostilities between the Legions. It is posible though that the helm might have been a seperat peice of equipment from the rest of the suit. Kinda like an after market upgrade kit type deal moving from on Mk of armour to the next. It would explain the resembalence to a MkII or MkIII helm. Both models were not supose to have free moving heads. I for on would find that to be a problem and would try to fix it.

I'm only asking coz I like the design and would like to use it on my Fists, but also want to stick to Fluff as much as possible...well, anyway thanks for the answers guys! :rolleyes:

At the time of the Heresy due to heavy losses armour was often put together using parts from different inter-changeable marks. The helmet is Iron MKIII pattern. Chest pieces and power packs are the new MKIV. Legs are a mixture.

Hm, if you compare the helmet with the MkIII helmet on my veteran sarge (which is a Rogue Trader era model), they're quite different, so I wouldn't say it's MkIII...

Archived