Heresy Era Imperial Fists

Ufthak

Thanks ;) Yep, initially I was afraid of doing yellow, everyone else seemed to be having a hard time with it. But in the end I'm really happy with how it turned out!

@Raven Angel:

Thanx :tu: I am considering adding some writing to it - you know, the sort of stuff some of my marines have on the shoulder pads (essentially just thin lines), but I'm somehow afraid of botching it. I woouldn't even be sure whether to use white or black for the writing... What do you think?

Thanx Raven. I'll consider it ;)

Well, I guess I shall say goddbye to y'all, I'll be picking apples the next 3 months or so, so the next update will most probably be inbound in September/October. Anyways, thank you very much for your comments! :)

--Ufthak--

• 2 months later...

Hey folks.

I know it's been a long break, but I've been working the whole summer and hardly got round to doing anything. Nonetheless, here's a small update. I finished the Plasma gunner and added some paint details to some other finished marines. I particularly made a point of doing the vet sarge well, since he didn't look vet sarge enough :)

Watcha think?

gallery_42816_3520_357568.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_158242.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_59117.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_356327.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_165505.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_89900.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_305387.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_357869.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_234352.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_293582.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_275244.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_75349.jpg

Another update:

Recently I've been working on a marine in Mk 2 Crusade armour - and boy is it hard to do. I've also started work on my chaplain in Cataphracti Terminator armour, and here I need your opinions.

Firstly, the Mk 2 armour marine. I know the Green Stuff still needs some filing/sanding down, but I still need to let it dry:

gallery_42816_3520_160540.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_235261.jpg

And the Chaplain. Now, I've got a fair idea how to do Cataphracti armour - quite alot of work - but I'm undecided what head to use, and need aour help. I understand Chaplains use a skull motif, and I've got a few options:

gallery_42816_3520_337451.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_246364.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_14424.jpg

Now, I personally like the third head best. I guess some of you will now say: "It's way too small, no way the Chaplain's head would fit in there!" - indeed, Games Workshop isn't very good when it comes to scale. But I compared different skulls and heads...

gallery_42816_3520_50010.jpg

...and came to the conclusion that the skull on the far left - the smallest - is the only one which actually fit into the helmet on the far right and, indeed, the head next to it. All other skulls would be too large for either. And, the small skull actually just about fits into the other skulls, so I'm comfortable with all three options when it comes to scale. But what do you think? Any opinions?

And I have another question:

Anyone got any idea whether there were differences between Chaplains Pre-Heresy, Heresy and Post-Heresy? Did they use the Crozius? And all the other paraphernalia? Did they even use the skull motif?

note: my marines are set at about the time of the siege of terra, so Chaplains would have been around by then, should someone want to argue about that...

Any ideas? Any information? I'd be really grateful :tu:

Skull helm in Berserker Box? You mean the more daemonic of the helmets? No, but to me, that doesn't really resemble a nice skull. But thanks for the advice! Great, my chaplain'll be using the Crozius and skull then! About the Black colour: the Collected visions images show black chaplains, so that'll be fine by me.

Anyways, thank you for your comments and advice! :wallbash:

Another quick question:

I'm considering adding a dead traitor marine to the base of the chaplain. I'm still undecided which traitor legion t choose. The obvious choice, of course, would be Iron warriors, but I hate the colour scheme and don't like them much in any way, so I won't use them. The Night Lords and Alpha Legion weren't present at the Siege of Terra, so I won't use them either. And Death Guard doesn't feel right; I'd have to change the dead marine into a plague marine, and I just don't fancy doing that. Nor do I fancy Thousand sons or Emperor's Children. This leaves:

-World Eaters

-Word Bearers

-Sons of Horus

Now, I have questions considering the colour schemes:

-Did the Word Bearers and World Eaters already use the red armour? Or maybe only in part? Or was the white armour of the Eaters so bloodsplashed by then that it had turned some form of sick dark red?

-WHAT COLOUR do the sons of horus have??? (discounting the black 1st company) Grey? Green? Pale Green? Greyish Green? Greenish Grey? Someone please help me along...I'd really like to do a Son of Horus, but I don't want to do anything until I know what colour...

Can anyone help me with the colour schemes? And which Legion should I choose, and why?

Well the World Eaters and Sons of Horus would be generally more recognizable as heresy era, but I play Word Bearers and I don't like seeing them die! At this point the WB would have the red armor as they switched just before the invasion of Calth (Battle for the Abyss). World Eaters would probably have partially changed to red, but as you said that may have just been the blood! The SoH color is hotly disputed, but most people seem to go for a pale sea green. The forum in my sig has several examples and tutorials for SoH color schemes.

I nominate my brothers for this duty in death as it would have been likely that when the fortifications were broken my brothers were probably the first troops in. I do believe that we changed our armour colour after the Heresy and during the Siege of Terra we were just very very bloody, very bloody...... like it's not funny how bloody.

For the Primarch and Khorne!

I like the World Eaters - in a sadistic, bloody and twisted way :) And since I'm not particularly fond of the Word Bearers, it's either SoH or WE then. Can anyone else help me out with the SoH colour scheme? I know that the Collected visions show pale green, grey, as well as a darker green - but mostly grey. And most recent artworks feateure them in grey armour. What do the Horus Heresy books say about the colour scheme? Can anyone help me out there? I haven't read the books yet...

Ive been silently lurking since I discovered this thread.. I love IF *swoon* ;)

Going back to the Chaplain thing.. I've been re-reading the Heresy series, and at the end of the third book (Galaxy in Flames) it describes an Emperor's Children Chaplain (Charmosian) in armour trimmed in black, implying that he wears his Legion colours.

Which isn't much help if black forms a part of your colour scheme, but it's an idea I hope!

Hm...thanx Captain Juan. This now throws up the question whether an entirely black armour is acceptable, or whether I should do him in yellow. Drat.

Well, somehow I guess it's rather anm optional thing...I think I'll go for an entirely black suit of Tactical Dread armour. But thanx anyways :P

The Thing you have to remember when it comes to black, is that some Legions used that colour anyway...

The Justaerin Terminators and Catalun Reaver Squadron of the Sons of Horus First Company both had black armour.. As did Efreat (Sp?) Stealth Squad of the Alpha Legion.

I would personally go the way of the black trim... But if black is something already used as a company colour then maybe consider something like a single shoulder pad?

EDIT: I do what I can for one descended from Dorn :P

@Captain Juan:

Thank you very much, fellow son of Dorn :P I appreciate your help!

Hm...I know the Iron hands, Dark Angels, Raven Guard, Word Bearers (?), and the 1st Company of the Lunar Wolves/Sons of Horus had black armour. The Imperial Fists, to my knowledge, did not. But then, considering the fact I'm doing Sigismund's 1st Company - which would later turn into the Black Templars (more or less) - and what with Sigismund wearing Black as the Emperor's Champion (in order to show his dedication, black being after all a symbol of dedication to the Emperor), I think it's ok for my Chaplain to be black. But I'll give it another thought, perhaps I'll change my mind :) Anyways thanx!

By the way, have you done any Heresy era Imperial Fists?

I'm a fluff addict rather than anything else, having never collected... But starting my new job I fully intend to start collecting an army or two of Astartes.

The thing you could consider is, instead of going the whole way al la Chaplains post Heresy or even Sigismund as EC, is paint a certain portion to signify Chaplain staus?

Such as the chestplate area, or all four limbs...

spacemarine.jpg

or

spacemarine.jpg

NOTE: Havn't added the yellow, because they all seem to look horrible and dull on the painter compared to a real painted IF miniature.

I've already considered that option. Yellow and Black..I think it'll be difficult to make that look really good. I thought, maybe I could just do the right arm black or something. But somehow, to me, a Chaplain needs to be totally Black :P Hm...still gotta think about it...

Anyways, I'm also a fluff addict :tu: so you're not alone. Looking forward to seeing an Astartes army by Juan Juarez ;)

Small update:

First of all, I've finally decided to give my Mk 2 Crusade armour wearing marine a flamer:

gallery_42816_3520_107930.jpg

Secondly, I added a helmet stripe to my vet sarge's helmet:

gallery_42816_3520_250155.jpg

Thirdly; I've been generally working on my other vet sarge:

gallery_42816_3520_338047.jpg

helmet detail:

gallery_42816_3520_42163.jpg

Kneepad detail:

gallery_42816_3520_146523.jpg

Left shoulder pad detail:

gallery_42816_3520_178628.jpg

Right shoulder pad detail:

gallery_42816_3520_30043.jpg

And now a queston:

I am still generally working on the sarge; but at the moment I'm particularly unsure about the banner. All I know is I want it quartered. Anyone got suggestions? I need to fit a Black Fist, a Black Cross, a diagonal white stripe on red background and (ideally) a roman 1 (I) on it? Any ideas?

gallery_42816_3520_338047.jpg

Archived