UK Grand Tournament topic

Iron-Daemon Forge

Any news from the Heat 2 competators? Would I be right in thinking that the mighty 5th ed SW's would have had their GT debut at the weekend?

It seem a lot of Space Wolves armies there got point taken off them, somthing to do with not listen there power onto the army list (rarely play the new marine codex or useing Librarian I though you got to pick before each game??). Apperntly if the point where not taken of them, we would have seen a fair few Space Wolves getting through & doing very well. One of them got told a few min into there round 5 as well which is a kick to the balls which is a shame

Top 10 is in order

Orks

Chaos Marines

Eldar

Chaos Marines

Orks

Blood Angels

Imperial Guards

Necron

Daemons

Imperial Guards

IP

Woah, that's pretty tough! I'm guessing that it migt be a similar circumstance in heat 3, not as many but there's definitely going to be some that fall foul.

That's a fair mix in the top 10 as well to be fair. Would have been interesting to see how it would have looked without the docked points.

I got the Info from the results sheet as it tells you how many points were deducted, No marine players with Librarians had problems like that as they all chose powers at start o Tournament so I dont get how SW players thought it would be diff. Boards were 6x4 with plenty of terrain though no much multi level stuff or stuff that totally blocked line of sight. There were plenty of Guard there quite a few varied lists though lots of manticores floating round and a really cool squat army using guard rules

i am still surprised that guard arent in the top five. ( i so wish i was more organised and take top spot B) ). just wandering where did you get your info on? and what tables do they play, 4 by 4? or 4 by 6?

thanks

antique_nova

Tables are the standard 4'x6'.

The thing you've got to take into account is that there are 2 IG in the top 10. What should be considered is that any of the top 10 placers could take the top slot but at that level the variation can be down to a combination of luck and opponents on the weekend. If you have bad rolls in a couple of games it's got the potential to affect your standing considerably and, lets face it, the aim of the heats is to get into that top 40 to get into the final because that's where the fortune and glory is.

Sure it would be nice to rank highly in the heats but ultimately qualification is the aim.

Dezartfox: Well done on the painting side of thing, your army dose have a great dark feel that I view the 40k world as/should be :(

What was the other armies like in term of the top x amount for painting

Anyone take some photos of the other armies up there?

I second this, the tournament scene is great for really great armies for idea be it painting or conversion, even if you don't collect a army the idea behind it help your own.

The thing you've got to take into account is that there are 2 IG in the top 10. What should be considered is that any of the top 10 placers could take the top slot but at that level the variation can be down to a combination of luck and opponents on the weekend. If you have bad rolls in a couple of games it's got the potential to affect your standing considerably and, lets face it, the aim of the heats is to get into that top 40 to get into the final because that's where the fortune and glory is.

Yep full agree, rememeber the people in top ten will be high up on those tables. Anything can happen & dice can go against us. Like ArmouredWing said it truly is the GT Finials where everthing come down really. Each GT heat is diffrent, like we saw Marine won Heat 1, yet for Heat two they came 15th?? & heat 3 who knows.

It also 45 ;) (40 was back in 2006, use to be top 50 before that) follow by five or six of the top armies.

On another note, what where the Space Wolves build anyway??

IP

Here are some of the armies I liked:

My friends WolfWing (sort of looks similar eh? :( )

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Models/IMG_5613.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Models/IMG_5618.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Models/IMG_5619.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Models/IMG_5620.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Models/IMG_5621.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Models/IMG_5622.jpg

most of the nominated armies (I missed one of the nids, Nicola Taylors)

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Models/IMG_5629.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Models/IMG_5630.jpg

My friend Nicks army:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Models/IMG_5631.jpg

Andrew Taylors:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Models/IMG_5632.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Models/IMG_5633.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Models/IMG_5634.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Models/IMG_5635.jpg

Some of my battle report shots:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Models/IMG_5627.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Models/IMG_5628.jpg

Just to ask Heat 2 player, can anyone tell me how Kenny Miles (sp?) with Chaos Daemons done??

Dezartfox: Thank for the photos, your friend Wolf Wing look really cool as well

The Great Nurgle Daemon is Glenn from the Aberdeen lot. I fought him that my club tournament in Rapid Fire. He has a really nice Daemon force overall, was a very close game as well when I fought him.

The Eldar with red & White tanks look great as well. What the model in front of the War Walker/to the Writhlord Right & the wave serpant left??

The Red Ork battle wagon force look like Nick (can be seen on warhammer.org.uk) look very cool & remind me of George Dellapina Orks army from the WD years ago!!!

White Sister of battle look like Andy Tayler that he use in last year finial if I rememeber right from the photos last year.

I have to say since 2007 up to now the armies really are getting really nice. Just I rememeber in 2006 a marine force that was nicely converted, but term of painting there no shade, no highlight, cover in mold lines & bolter not drilled out, was not that nice painting wise but conversion where brillaint.

However like I said from 2007 there been a real push on brillaint armies, had a hard time since 2007 picking one army as they are brillaint painted, converted & over all look. It just great seen the standard getting a bit higher each time.

IP

Kenny came 114th I think (The sheet is missing half the numbers on one side.. )

Thanks

Yes Heat 1 they stop that 148h, there was somthing like 155-165 people attended.

That a bit of a suprise wounder what happen. Just he been doing really great that the local event around here with his Daemons getting to table 1/2 last round.

IP

Kenny came 114th I think (The sheet is missing half the numbers on one side.. )

Thanks

Yes Heat 1 they stop that 148h, there was somthing like 155-165 people attended.

That a bit of a suprise wounder what happen. Just he been doing really great that the local event around here with his Daemons getting to table 1/2 last round.

IP

I didn't meet or see the guy you are on about but I'd imagine he was probably unlucky with the armies he played against as there was a pretty large spread through the field from the Daemon players.

My friend finished 50th with his and I finished 78th.

First game was against a bike list that I lost by 2KP. As soon as my opponent got ahead he then started running away, apologising ever time he moved but at the end of the day I'd have done the same.

The second list was two thunderfires, dreadnought in drop pod, tactical squad in drop pod, redeemer with Lysander and five thunderhammer Termies, second tactical squad and two thunderfire cannons. Like an idiot I ignored the thunderfires and focused on his troops as we were playing cature and control objectives. Because of this f*** up I lost 2-0.

Third game was against Witch Hunters which I won 2-1.

Fourth game was against a drop podding SM list that I underestimated the shear volume of fire coming out of. I felt quite lucky that I got a draw here.

Fifth game was another drop podding SM list with Kantor and Lysander. Sternguard heavy. Another stupid mistake of target prioritising cost me a win here. Forgot the third objective and ended with a 1-1 draw. If I'd have punched the Landspeeder that was going for the third objective I'd have won 2-0.

Final game was against another Witch Hunter list which I won against 9-2 on KP.

Two tactical errors cost me 40 points and would have placed me in the top 25, booking a place for the finals in March. I hugely enjoyed by first GT though and really hope that I'll be able to make next year but I'll be looking for as many tournaments in between from now on though.

WH40K TOS Score W2 D2 L2

Third game was against Witch Hunters which I won 2-1.

Fourth game was against a drop podding SM list that I underestimated the shear volume of fire coming out of. I felt quite lucky that I got a draw here.

Fifth game was another drop podding SM list with Kantor and Lysander. Sternguard heavy. Another stupid mistake of target prioritising cost me a win here. Forgot the third objective and ended with a 1-1 draw. If I'd have punched the Landspeeder that was going for the third objective I'd have won 2-0.

Final game was against another Witch Hunter list which I won against 9-2 on KP.

Two tactical errors cost me 40 points and would have placed me in the top 25, booking a place for the finals in March. I hugely enjoyed by first GT though and really hope that I'll be able to make next year but I'll be looking for as many tournaments in between from now on though.

WH40K TOS Score W2 D2 L2

Hey, just wondering if you can remember what the WH lists looked like? Standard mech?

Hey, just wondering if you can remember what the WH lists looked like? Standard mech?

The first list was pretty mechanised with two Exorcists and at least two rhinos or maybe three. Painted a nice silver/purple mix. The second list was completely different though. Inquisitor with retinue in a rhino, two 5 man squads or stormtroopers, ten man scouts squad, 10 man tactical squad in drop pod, landspeeder, another rhino and two exorcists.

The second list was pretty random but both games were good fun.

Ment to say those who attend Heat 2, how many Valkyrie models where there during the weekend??

Heat 1 saw around 40. One for ever four people who attended.

Also that some photos up on the Games Workshop web site in the "what new today" area.

IP

Judging by the what's been said I think the wolves were docked points because they didn't write down which powers their rune priests were using. Possibly even switching powers between games.

The Space marine codex clarified to say that librarians pick their powers when you write the list and you must include them in the list. I'm guessing that Space wolf players didn't do this.

It's not been a problem in other books because they either pay for their powers or don't have a choice.

Judging by the what's been said I think the wolves were docked points because they didn't write down which powers their rune priests were using. Possibly even switching powers between games.

The Space marine codex clarified to say that librarians pick their powers when you write the list and you must include them in the list. I'm guessing that Space wolf players didn't do this.

It's not been a problem in other books because they either pay for their powers or don't have a choice.

Thanks dude!

So, my journey to this weekend has been a long old slog and, frankly speaking, I never want to paint skull white on shadow blue ever again (an opinion that I'll obviously change at some point in the future but I'll be glad of the break).

That's not to say that everything is up to the standard that I'm usually happy with but it's enough to play at the weekend.

And so to the roster. It's fair to say that my gaming group has been looking at tournie play for the last 18 months. We were going to try and get into last years ToS but fortunately it didn't happen, if it had the amount of time it would have taken to prepare my minis would have resulted in a catastrophic meltdown of my personal life I'm sure. The other bonus of course is that we've had plenty of time to play and tweak our somewhat unusual lists. As we play in a relatively small group our list evolution has taken some interesting turns but at every point we've looked outside of the group to see what's going on out there. Whether we've judged it right, well, we'll see at the weekend. Anyway, the ToS 'Crusade of Persecution' list in it's full glory...

-HQ-

Canoness

Combi Flamer

Power Weapon.

Frags

Celestian Retinue

Celestians x 5

Flamer

Heavy Flamer

Frags

Transport.

Immolator

Smoke Launcher

Searchlight

-Troops-

Squads 1 & 2

Battle Sisters x 14

Veteran Superior

Eviscerator

Book of St Lucius

Meltagun x 2

Squads 3 & 4

Battle Sisters x 14

Veteran Superior

Eviscerator

Book of St Lucius

Flamer

Heavy Flamer

-Heavy Support-

Exorcist 1 - 'The Syphony of Destruction'

Searchlight

Exorcist 2 - 'The Dance of Death'

Searchlight

Exorcist 3 - 'For Whom the Bell Tolls'

Searchlight

I'm looking forward to finally seeing what the playing field is like out there. There are moments where I'm questioning my decision to go against the popular opinion of using rhinos in my sister squads but in their current form I've found them to perform reliably so to a degree I'm putting my money where my mouth is and sticking with what I know.

Anyway, I'm gonna be in WW most of Friday and the rest of team 'The Good (Tau), the Bugs (Nids) & the Godly (Me)' will be in residence from lunch time onwards so if you're milling about and fancy chewing the fat look for the sisters and introduce yourself.

...oh yeah, if you're playing at the weekend then Emperor be with you.

Archived