Angels of Vigilance - 7-5-13 Dread/Razor update

Deathwing70

Looks good. I really like the Captain you've done. Can't wait to see it painted.

Your paining and sculpting skills are very impressive. I like the yellow color you are using though I would agree that black shoulders on the terminators would look better. It denotes veteran status on the marines you are painting anyway and all terminators are usually veterans so it makes sense background wise anyway.

Hmm you actually got a point there, my own color sceme turned against me ;)

I just don't want to make them too much black, like black with yellow bits and pieces. I still want them to be yellow with black bits. I fear painting the shoulders black will make the difference here.

though a quick trip to the painter, I guess it might not be too black...

tsm.php?hdt=000000&hdm=000000&hdl=000000&ey=78EDFF&er=000000&pi=C9C9C9&nk=FFEC3D&cht=FFEC3D&ch=FFEC3D&abs=000000&bt=FFEC3D&btd=737373&cod=FFEC3D&ull=FFEC3D&lk=FFEC3D&lll=FFEC3D&lft=FFEC3D&url=FFEC3D&rk=FFEC3D&lrl=FFEC3D&rft=FFEC3D&sl=000000&sli=000000&sr=000000&sri=000000&ula=FFEC3D&lel=FFEC3D&lla=FFEC3D&lh=FFEC3D&ura=FFEC3D&rel=FFEC3D&rla=000000&rh=FFEC3D&eg=000000&sk=000000&rta=FFEC3D<a=FFEC3D&lhd=DEDEDC&rhd=DEDEDC&ct=DEDEDC&cts=DEDEDC&camh=000000&camb=000000&cams=000000&caml=FF0000&brc=FFEC3D&rb=000000&gr=DEDEDC&bg=F5F5F5&

@jlmb_123

I love, love, love your flamers! I'm going out in a minute, so have just browsed the photos, so apologies if it's been asked already, but how did you make them?

Thanks <_< Trying to remember.. the painted guy's flamer is the normal SM flamer but I added the nozzle of a cadian flamer, slightly extending it and making it more square.

The "big flamer" is still a multimelta. I will probably use a modified nozzle of one of the termi heavy flamers and trust the imposing stance will do the rest.

I will look into those plague monks, thanks for the tip!

@Master Toddius

Yep :P I still have a few holes in my fluff but it is based on them being the unknown 2nd founding successor as rumoured. I tried getting a discussion going on them in the Dark Angels forum but it did not get the attention I hoped for... maybe I should try another section of this forum?

Wings would look good on that captain. Here is an example

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii292/MrBlonde567/DSC01597.jpg

I got those wings from bits in my bits box but I think they work well with that helmet. It's such an awesome helmet I wish I could use it for everything. Good luck with your work, those guys are going to look really good.

Obey the Emperor.

• 9 months later...

So it took me almost a year to ... pickup the paint brush again which I did a few weeks ago.

Not really sure why I stopped, must have been the holiday season busyness and being distracted by other things... before you know it months have passed and theres a thick layer of dust on the models...

Still! Easily in time for an annual update!

But whats an update without pictures... Please excuse the quality though, I'm having some trouble getting the colors right. Can't seem to figure out the settings and filters I used before...

On to the pictures!

There is still a few parts I have to touch up or finish but overall I'm quite pleased with the Sergeant.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/assault/P091010_1544.jpghttp://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/assault/P091010_154401.jpghttp://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/assault/P091010_154402.jpg

Here's a few members of his squad. The 4th guy requires a bit more work still so no pictures of him yet. Almost finished with their Jump Packs, other than that still need to add their squad markings. And once I feel confident enough I will try adding battledamage/scratches to the entire squad.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/assault/P091010_1545.jpg

Also a little preview of what else is on the painting table, I'm taking my time to try and get the yellow really smooth and enjoy painting this model. Big difference painting large flat armored plates...

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/Dreadnought/P091010_154601.jpg

Hope you like the progress! I'll try my best to get better quality pictures next time and also try my best not to take another year before the update :HQ:

Seems my camera behaves better without natural light than with so I shot some more pictures...

Finished up the jump packs and did the squad marking. This one proved to be pretty tough to get right... I'm still not entirely satisfied but from a distance they look straight, sharp and square enough and thus are fine for now.

Just noticed I still have to finish up the base on the crouching marine :P (and add their squad number)

Anyway, better pictures of the squad and a compilation shot i made to show off the different freehand I added to their jump packs in my quest to add more personality and individuality to each marine (there's other bits scattered around on their weapons aswell).

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/assault/P101010_2008.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/assault/jpacks.jpg

I could post some more pictures from different angles if there's any interest.

Back to painting the dreadnought!

thanks guys :D

Painting's not going too fast on the Dread but it's getting there...

I did (I think) all of the yellow armor parts only to figure out "hmm alot of those metal bits are pretty hidden/covered by the armor plates... I fear I'm going to be touching up quite a bit when I'm done :(

Either way I did the base somewhere halfway through to give me a break from all those layers... Here's the latest picture:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/Dreadnought/P181010_2156.jpg

And here's the reason I've been slowed down even more ;)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/P181010_215401.jpg

All those BFG threads going on have been inspiring :)

Still alot of detailing to do. But while building these Ive had a look through my bits boxes and realised I have ALOT of grey parts still requiring attention as in being clipped off their sprue, cleaned and glued!

- Land Raider (yes...)

- Predator

- Another Forgeworld Dreadnought

- Parts for probably around 30+ marines (including heavy weapons, special weapons, assault weapons, jump packs)

- 14 more (new) plastic terminators

Then I still have to paint a kinda modified Razorback and (another) Predator. And some of the stuff you've seen above (the Commander, a few other models close to being finished).

Not to mention all the stuff from my old DA army I still have laying around that could get stripped (for example around 30+ old metal termi's - My old cheesy username is Deathwing70 for a reason :))

So I think it's time for me to get an airbrush and learn some new tricks. Does anyone have any advice concerning airbrushes? The reading I've done about them so far basically comes down to: "buy a decent one the first time and learn to airbrush with it, don't waste time and money with cheap stuff you'll end up repairing/replacing in a short time". It sounds like it makes sence but what price range am I looking at for a decent kit? I'm guessing 200-300 euro's should get me a nice compressor and dual action gun that will last me a while?

• 3 weeks later...

So a few weeks down the line, not doing as much painting as I would like.

I did do some research and some time of online shopping later I got myself a starter airbrush set with a box full of the vallejo airbrush paints. (Those metallics are great!)

So being a typical small kid who got a new toy, I spend about 10 minutes doing the excercises people mention... spraying paint onto a piece of paper, learning where the paint goes etc. After those 10 min I grabbed the 4 other Terminators I assembled last year...

It took me a while to get the colors right, the paint seems to behave differently being sprayed, but after a while + a few controlled layers of wash (and another highlight followed by more wash) I present:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/terminator/termsq1.jpg

And another picture that didn't really work out, but I think looks pretty cool since the black is just totally lost:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/terminator/termsq2.jpg

As you can see, still WIP.

Black has to be highlighted, some of the metallics have to be touched up and I have yet to start on the shoulderpads. I am going to do them black as discussed earlier in this thread but I'll have to see how this effects the chapter icon...

And I'm wanting to start on weathering, I'll pull out my old color-test mini soon to try out some techniques.

Hope you like em!

normally i dont like yellow...especially bright sunwashed yellow... oddly i am finding myself liking what you have going here so far. I only hope the pictures are doing the paint work full justice (well..more that the painting is better than the pictures honestly). i know yellow is hard to paint and streakin is an issue...all i can say is keep it up!

wow feels the B&C is really laggy or is that just me? big trouble posting this...

@Ghostlegion, yea I realise the photo's aren't really consistent. For some reason I cant really seem to get the camera to do the same thing over and over... Though I guess I don't spend enough much time setting up stuff to make pictures... In terms of color the picture of the terminators I posted yesterday seems to represent what I have on the table the most. Since it doesn't have a white background, maybe that's the key...

I'm finding myself slowly losing interest in these guys though, there's something that doesnt seem unique enough. Also as I don't actually play the game I believe I'm slowly falling behind on rules and legal squad compositions etc. At least I'm somewhat feeling limited by it. Ofcourse I want to have a legal army just in case but somehow it just feels a bit boring having to make 7 'regular' bolter Marines for a full squad.

I think I'll look into repainting some of my old Dark Angels or build a new (small) squad of another succesor chapter to avoid getting sick of the yellow paint. Nothing wrong with an Unforgiven crusading force is there? :)

browsing through my 4th edition DA codex yesterday I think I found the (legal) solution to my desire to add more diverse weaponry amongst the marines.

Command squads! if I understand correct each command squad consists of 5 veterans which are allowed to wield bolters/bolt pistol/chainswords to their liking (ie mix and match), offcourse with upgrades like power weapons, special weapons and offcourse options to take apothecary/standard bearer/company champion.

While the random armaments I have in mind might not be the most efficient choices game-wise, I think they could add alot of character... I'm already planning on making 2 command squads which means I'll have to build another IC, another 'limitation' I don't seem to have any trouble with. No company would go to war without their Chaplain would they? :o

Anyway a quick summary of stuff I still want to build:

- fill up the 2 tactical squads to 10 and add heavy weapons (8 bolters, 2 heavy weapons, 2 squad banners)

- Build a techmarine (cool red)

- Build a Chaplain (cool black)

- 2 command squads (10 veterans), probable composition: 2 Apothecaries (cool white). 1 Company champion. 1 Company standard bearer, that leaves me with 6 'normal' veterans to arm however I like at that moment.

I'm already getting excited! But first I'll have to finish the Dreadnought and Terminators...

As for painting updates, I pulled out the old test mini yesterday and tried some colors for paint chipping. I'm happy with the colors I chose, I'm just having trouble finding a method to apply the chips in a random believable fashion. I tried with an old brush (no pointy edge) basically stippling little dots all over an area of armor but it's just too much. I also tried applying them with a good brush but then it's just not random enough. Anyone have an idea how else I could get that desired not over the top but still realisticly random looking effect? (I think using a spongue would do the same as the old brush).

Since pictures say more than words... the test mini:

Leg was with the bad brush stippling, shoulder almost perfect symmetrical controlled stippling with the good brush..

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/P081110_2207.jpg

And since the weekend is almost over for me, I made a quick shot of the progress on the terminator squad:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/terminator/P081110_2206.jpg

Still WIP, hope you like! C&C appreciated

• 2 years later...

I feel almost bad pulling this one up from the dead but I suppose since I am it's creator, it isn't archived and technically I do have some updates to show, you'll forgive me... smile.png

I've had some general life's distractions occupying me aswell as some less welcome surprises about my health being revealed in the past few years (from assuming you're healthy to requiring a kidney transplant) that have set some events in motion that have kept me a little occupied...

I've always been lurking around though and on a few occasions managed to pickup the brush again (usually when checking to see if my old paints were still alive - damn GW pots). Never got around to post an update though and it never really lasted long. Now unfortunately I'm back in the hospital again due to some complications which leaves me with tons of time to fill and plan stuff to do. I did go home for the weekend and managed to snap a few shots of stuff I've worked on / had finished before.

Anyway enough talk... here's a bit of an army shot with everything I could put on it's base at the time, it includes a never before seen tactical combat squad (completing one of the other tactical squads). The Dreadnought is *still* very much WIP (as are the Terminators not in this picture).

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/P070712_1513_klein-1.jpg

Closer shot of the tactical combat squad:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/Angels%20of%20Vigilance/AOV%20Tac3%20HB/P070712_1455.jpg

It's a shame I still suck with pictures, I have worked on my battledamage/weathering and it looks pretty cool on this squad. I'll definately invest more time into making decent pictures when I get home again. I did the power sword with an airbrush, finished with a brush but am considering redoing them all the way that's popular nowadays. Probably change the color aswell... Thoughts?

I have also worked on the 'other' combat squad to complete the 2nd tactical squad, I converted a Missile Launcher marine using an Imperial Guard missile launcher. I snapped a picture a few hours ago while at home and uploaded it through my phone / edited it on photobucket... not great quality, during the upload it also resized my 8 megapixel picture into something alot smaller. Guess you really need to take your time, upload full image to a computer and edit it there smile.png

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/Angels%20of%20Vigilance/AOV%20Tac%204%20ML/55c94e6b-da99-4c76-b47b-f2c8494f08e8_zps5293159c.jpg

And a little bonus, a 'converted' Razorback, same problems with pictures unfortunately. I used it to practise with my airbrush again, unfortunately it doesn't show the subtle highlighting which I guess means I have to increase the contrast on the model itself.

I never liked the Razorback version with the gun on the back of the Rhino so I changed some stuff around and added some plasticard plates and antenna's to make it look more 'interesting':

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/Angels%20of%20Vigilance/AOV%20Razorback%20custom/20130401_194929_zps92022001.jpg:original

Though this weekend I finally took the time to work on some Dark Vengeance models I've had since they released it, I tried my best to keep them 'as is' but I just couldn't resist trying a few things... smile.png

You won't really be able to see it in the picture but I swapped a few arms around and added some DA bits (Yes I'll keep them as DA, allow me to paint a different color!).

Everything ready for airbrush, prepared like the all do on the video's (woohoo):

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/Dark%20Angels/20130401_194028_zps72b14b86.jpg:original

More pictures on photobucket (not sure if the link will work though).

I have made up my mind and will make a (probably) 2500 pts list for my Angels of Vigilance, stick to that and end it there (though seeing my reputation that could still take years). And will most likely do some Dark Angels on the side (with a slightly adjusted color scheme though), back to my roots.

Anyway I typed too much already, let me know what you think, C&C always appreciated! (yes I will work on better pictures / light box etc msn-wink.gif)

Very cool.  I never saw this thread back in its original days.  That whole kidney thing sounds like it was...fun. :P

What's the white on those bases?  Glue?  Plasticard?  What do you use to prime these fellas?

Also, I dig the Razor ;)

Thx :)

Yea the kidney thing came as a surprise since I didn't even show any of the ussual symptoms. Anyway those problems are known now, all I can do now is live with them now and make the best of it.

The white on the bases (the Dark Vengeance models I assume?) is plasticard yea. I'm going to try a different type of base for my Dark Angels, more woodlandy (including mushrooms! - yes... I've been looking into starting a Warhammer goblin army aswell the last few days...). I used the plasticard to fill up the holes in the bases, give them a little more height (I stopped enlarging my Marines - too much hassle) and will probably paint them quite bright stone or even a marble type if I can pull it off. I suppose it could represent them fighting / exploring a forgotten colony or maybe some old Eldar site.

I'm still thinking about my color scheme for them and a cool base to complement it. If anything, it might just look like Caliban :)

Prime... well I'm *still* learning to use my airbrush. Years ago (without airbrush) I used black and many layers of yellowish colors. The foundation colors helped when they came out. Now some of these AoV's are still primed black, others I used 'ochre' Vallejo Model Air as basecoat.

I am learning more about using it though and starting to control the flow of the airbrush better. I'll probably prime more with dark browns / white's to put down pre-shading layers in the future. The only problem I have with these experiments is keeping them all looking the same color in the end :)

thanks guys :)

The hospital stay isn't all bad... well I don't get to paint or superglue my fingers together but I do get plenty of time to screw around and think of stuff/study new tricks.

Like for example I read some article about how this guy creates his concepts for his banners (and I like banners) digitally. Which he then proceeds to cut out and use as templates to use with his airbrush (to put down the big lines anyway).

I still have quite a few banners to fill up in my army, here's something I made today which I think i'll use for my dreadnought:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/Dreadnought/dreadnought-banner_zps3a71f7bd.png:original

Some parts still need some definition but the concept/colors are there... No clue how I would actually use this as a stencil though. Guess I'll have to think about that for a little more...

Also here's concept color scheme I came up with for my upcoming Dark Angels. 

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/deathwing70/Dark%20Angels/dark_angel_concept_magenta_zps3238dd7b.jpg:original

I like the ussual dark gritty look they normally have but I do want them to be somewhat brighter / pop a little more without using bright red boltguns. There's lso the issue with the 3 different army colors in a single army so I figured I would add those colors and make sure they will be present on every model in the army to tie them together.

So basically Greenwing: dark green with gold accents (very bright though), magenta/red ish colored markings and perhaps the robes too. They should look great next to these yellow guys.

Deathwing: light bone/sand with bright gold, those models have plenty of items and surface to paint dark green and magenta/red.

Ravenwing: black (very dark purple?)/ bright gold. Red/magenta markings. I've never been a big fan of Ravenwing though so I doubt I'll be building alot of those models anytime soon. 

Any other idea's to put on the banners? I've been thinking about making a standard-ish banner for use in my tactical squads and I guess so far they all look alike already. Can't really think of any other icon's and such to put on them though that doesn't interfere alot with the company markings (checkers). Custom banners would also be cool but... what would I put on those then :)

Archived