New HH novel in the pipeline "The First Heretic"

Brother Subtle

it seems Aaron Dembski-Bowden has joined the HH team and has his first novel in the pipeline. its called "The First Heretic" and at the momenet it all seems to be in his noggin. he described his upcoming novel as:

"I say the barest minimum possible about my core idea for The First Heretic. In my mind, I'm weaving a saga of immense personal tragedy, galactic disorder, and the death of innocent worlds. Love and hate collide in a touching drama between father and son, and brother pits themselves against brother as an interstellar empire burns"

full blog here:

http://adembskibowden.livejournal.com/5581.html

any ideas on what this could function around?

* i personally think it will have to be about Lorgar myself! "father and son" implies the BigE and a primarch is involved. and "brother against brother" could be about the 'self clensing' the Word Bearers performed pre-heresy. and the fact that Lorgar was the first to fall to chaos make a good fit for the title... anyone else have any opinoins?

this title is still a long way off! but that wont stop us disecting it!

It could be about Kor Pharon (sp?) second in command of the word bearers as he was the one who turned Lorgar to chaos in his month sulking in his room but I don't think space marines in the heresy consider their Primarch a father. Look forward to see what this books about and the cover art.

Yeah, read that blog too and first thought was Word Bearers.

ADB is a pretty good writer from the short stuff we've seen so far and his Helsreach novel is due out fairly soon so we'll get a better idea on how he handles marines before his HH one comes along - late next year maybe.

By the way, i think he's a forumite on B&C somewhere, certainly chats on the Black Library forums often enough, and that pre-dates him getting writing contracts for BL.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like a Custodes and that armour scheme on the Warp-Touched marine is post-heresy Word Bearers.

A Custodes, well i never.... :P

Quoting his blog:

Custodian + Chaos Astartes + Horus Heresy novel + My name = Awesome.

I find myself wanting to read this. Aaron's blog is fantastically funny, i really hope this book turns out to be one of the better HH novels!

it definitely looks like a word bearer lol and there's no mistaking a custode when you see one either. hopefully it turns out great.

Well i get to be the to disagree. That Chaos Space Marine looks more like a pre heresy 1k Son. I will agree that The CSM dose look like some of the post Herasy Word Bearers, but since it is a HH novel i think it might be a picture of Pre heresy action.

Well but I have never read anything about custodes getting involved in a direct confrontation with Word Bearers. So there are 2 possibilities imo:

1. The novel plays on terra where the Custodes bodyguard the Emperor

2. The Custodes company the Emperor on some travel or something like that.

OR

the Custodes act as some kind of Pre-Grey Knight troops and maybe they are sent to take out Lorgar or Erebus -> pure awesomenes

Well but I have never read anything about custodes getting involved in a direct confrontation with Word Bearers. So there are 2 possibilities imo:

1. The novel plays on terra where the Custodes bodyguard the Emperor

2. The Custodes company the Emperor on some travel or something like that.

OR

the Custodes act as some kind of Pre-Grey Knight troops and maybe they are sent to take out Lorgar or Erebus -> pure awesomenes

Well, I believe it has been written that the Custodes accompanied Russ to apprehend and return Magnus. Though in present time the Custodes may never leave Terra, the Emperor probably sent them out considering the extreme circumstances of the Heresey. I don't think the Emperor himself would have left Terra or at least not need to and the writers could easily right in the involvement of a detachment of Custodes aiding a larger loyal Astartes force against the Word Bearers. It does seem to make sense that he would use his personal body guard in a pre-Ordo Hereticus fashion. Would he really know which of his sons had turned before they had shown their true colors?

I went over the fluff again and it says that

1. The Custodes NEVER leave Terra/Imperial Palace/The Emperor

2. They acompanied the Wolves on their battle against the 1k Sons ....

So there seem to be 3 Novels about this one event. I actually cant wait to read the Custodes book. I think they are to most coolest guys ever ....

2. They acompanied the Wolves on their battle against the 1k Sons ....

So there seem to be 3 Novels about this one event. I actually cant wait to read the Custodes book. I think they are to most coolest guys ever ....

Ah, but #2 gives us precedence and basically makes #1 untrue. Just because it hasn't been written, doesn't mean it can't, so my comment saying that the writers could easily right in about a detachment of Custodes aiding other Astartes against the Word Bearers still stands.

Can't wait for this one! And the picture is one of the coolest HH covers yet. I've always hoped the custodes got more of a look in than just that one short story in Tales of Heresy. Now we just need a full novel dedicated to the World Eaters and it'll be all gravy! :)

As im just reading the tales of heresy book now the first short story details a member of the custodes having left the imperial palace and the emperors side for months cant say much more as if would be spoiling the story

In the Collected Visions is stated (if i remember well) that detachments of the Custodes were sended to aid several Imperial Forces. Strange, uncommon, but happens. Usually were a signal that the Emperor approved the missions the main force were doing...

Archived