Come fellow Word Bearers

LorgarXVII17

Khalaxis's coterie was the group of WB berserkers.

You could try taking a TDA lord with LC/combi-flamer for Kol Bador.

Throw in dreadnoughts with TLHB, TLAC, and DCCW. Defilers are good. Havocs with various heavy wepaons, possessed, loads of terminators, and...well heck virtually any non cult unit including oblits and raptors.

Ok i'll do this in order. As for distrusting of sorcs, I drew this opinion from I believe the second book when the Black Legion Sorcerer was assigned to the host. Now they may have distrusted him because he was not a Word Bearer, plus from the books I don't remember them ever making mention of word bearers sorcerers. So I may be wrong in stating this, but this was my view on things.

Second, the novels did state that one of the squads did run real close to worshipping Khorne but did not fully give themselves over. Hence why i said drop the mark, I would believe that someone with a mark worships that specific god and WB worship chaos as a whole. Also according to the 3rd edition Chaos codex if you wanted to play a WB army then "The only mark that may be assigned to models in a Word Bearers army is the Mark of Chaos Undivided." Now I do understand that this is from an old codex but it is a starting point and since the man asked to make his list fluffy thats the opinions I gave him.

As for the simulating of a chaplain, since the rules dont allow Chaos Marines to take chaplains, then using that combination of rules would allow for almost everything a chaplain would have. I didnt know that a forum topic existed for something like this.

But all in all this was my opinion. :cuss :P ;)

There is no conflict between worshipping a specific god and worshipping chaos as a whole or the chaos pantheon as a whole.

And you are again mixing up rules with background. For the sanctity of this thread I do not wish to repeat myself in fully. So if you care to see my side of the argument, please follow the link

On Word Bearers and Worship

How many WB hosts are there?

I think the answer is "the sky's the limit"!

I know that a lot of people take BL fluff with a pinch of salt but in the last WB novel there is a discussion about the relative size of the Black Legion - which incorporates a great number of smaller "independant" warbands through ties of loyalty and fealty - and the WB who are the second largest legion and probably the one legion that didn't fall apart after the retreat from Terra. Abaddon commands in excess of 100,000 men!

There is also a discussion about the size of various Hosts - many of which number in the thousands and, therefore, far larger than the current chapter sizes. Jarulek commanded over 5,000 men in his attack on Tanakreg but this included a Host that had lost it's Dark Apostle.

Hmmm My first post here. not sure where to put it so I apologioze if this is in the wrong place. bit about me im 39 and have played the Word Bearers since day one of third edition. My current host the 72nd called Host Purgatos is at 5051 points right now. I am glad to finally meet other followers of the word.

Blessing of the word to all.

I think I've got roughly 2500 points worth of Word Bearers. (Got most of them for quarter price on ebay :)) With 20 Marines, 10 MoN marines, 16 Berzerkers, 5 Slaanesh Raptors, and 5 Terminators, it's a pretty Infantry-centric army. Infact, aside from 2 rhinos, my only vehicles are walkers. I like the idea of Word Bearers as corrupters, and as a result I include alot of modern looking Imperial Technology, looted from slain Loyalists, or taken as a tribute from renegades that have joined the warband. I've got a few models in Mark. 8, and even more with a modern power-pack. I think any expansion beyond this point is largely going to be Renegade marines. This is to reflect the idea that as my Dark Apostle's power grows, his warband attracts many to its' cause. I'm even thinking of writing some fiction on the corruption of an entire company, but that's just a vague half-plan in the back of my mind.

Hah! Love that, Prophet. I wanted to do something like that way back in the day, using the Land Raider as a base, but eventually abandoned the idea as infeasible. Thanks for proving me dead wrong. :)

Hah! Love that, Prophet. I wanted to do something like that way back in the day, using the Land Raider as a base, but eventually abandoned the idea as infeasible. Thanks for proving me dead wrong. :)

Thanks!

I have previously abandoned this project so many times for the same reason. But where there is grim darkness, there is also hope... <_<

If anyone has played apocalypse or has some sense for rules, I'd be happy for any comment on the rules for gaming with this, especially points costs. There's a thread about it here.

Hi fellow Word Bearer Apostles, I created some rules for Mr. Erebus here:

Lord Erebus, High Priest of The Dark Council
220 6 5 4 4 3 5 3 10 3+

Unit Type:

Infantry (Chaos Lord)

Unit Composition:

1 (Unique)

Wargear:

• Crozius of Lorgar (Daemon Weapon)
  • Power Armour
  • Plasma Pistol
  • Frag and Krak Grenades

Special Rules:

• Fearless
  • Aura of True Faith (3+ Invulnerable)
  • Eternal Warrior
  • Word of Lorgar (He and any unit he joins has Preferred Enemy and Counter Attack)
  • Independent Character
  • Parry (Counts as armed with Defensive Grenades)
  • Chaos is the Answer (Any units with Mark of Chaos Glory are Fearless. In addition, units in an army including Erebus may only take the Icon of Chaos Glory)

I wonder how many daemons my army will have before I finally get ahold of myself and stop buying them. Cant resist daemons....

Edit: I figured that was a little wasteful to simply add that stupid comment. I apologize for not keeping this topic up, but im currently working on so many armies that I havent had time to finish my last few marines, and ive been busy with the new fantasy stuff. I also cant seem to find the cord to connect my computer and my camera, and if I did id be more than happy to show pictures of my decently painted host.

While I attempt to dig through my basement to find said cord, if you have a daemon prince, new or old, show us some pictures of it.

Not a player of any stripe, but here is my input on the Followers of the Word:

When I think of the Legions that really pique my interest, I cant really say that the Word Bears ever really feature; in fairness I have never come across a great deal of fluff reagrding them, but also I've never really thought of them as played that widely.

There is an "outsiders" view of your chosen force :teehee:

Not a player of any stripe, but here is my input on the Followers of the Word:

When I think of the Legions that really pique my interest, I cant really say that the Word Bears ever really feature; in fairness I have never come across a great deal of fluff reagrding them, but also I've never really thought of them as played that widely.

There is an "outsiders" view of your chosen force :teehee:

The Black Legion steals away most followers of Chaos. In terms of how many people actually play Word Bearers, I would have to say its quite low. The legions of the 4 gods and the Black Legion seem to be more popular. Fluffwise, there are three books written about the Word Bearers. The amount of information they give us about the legion is decent, and the books are too. In the codex the Word Bearers are mentioned 2 or so times (it even mentioned Lorgar, I was suprised) and a few examples of Word Bearers paint schemes.

In the end, everyone will see the truth.

"Behold brothers! I have ascended! Glory to Chaos!"

Anyways, I'm Justin, been playing Word Bearers since I started playing 40k (which was close to a decade ago), thanks to my friend Stephen, who taught me everything I know about the 40k universe and opened my eyes to the truth of Chaos.

Regards,

Kor Megron

Welcome Kor Megron!

The lack of WB players I believe has to do with the small amount of literature - and the common descriptions of them as mindless cannonfodder - compared to other legions/chapters, that has been the issue for a long time.

Though it is beginning to change (thank Tzeentch!). The books from Anthony Reynolds have converted many new WB-players, and I believe, with the popularity of the Horus Heresy books, that we will see a lot more pilgrims on the Eightfold Path after november.

Are the WB's really that unpopular a Legion? It's fairly unscientific, but whenever I find myself in a Chaos forum or any other online communication portal, Word Bearer players seem to inevitably pop up, and vocally so.

Word Bearer players seem to inevitably pop up, and vocally so.

It is not the way of the Word to preach the Truth to the masses?

I am close to deciding what paint scheme my Chaos force will be painted, and I can't seem to stop thinking about Word Bearers! And since one of my friends has Black Templars, I could steal some of his purity seals and holy scriptures to transform them into impurity seals and unholy scriptures. So many ideas...

The Word is as tempting as the aura of Slaanesh itself.

'kicks down door'

Oops. Sorry guys, haven't shown up here yet :P

Dark Apostle Thirst, Lord of the 52nd host, at your service.

I haven't made a lot of models specificly for the Word Bearers yet (read: 3) but I do have a Dark Apostle model, and he shall gather his host about him soon... as soon as I can afford it :D

'tips hat' For the glory of the Dark Gods, my brothers.

Of course we more Vocal in that way we can proclaim the glory of Chaos to all...

by the way I have just added a doomsday device to my army. The tech priests of Ghalmek have been working very had on it. brings my points up to 5551 .......

Do you have any pictures of it? That would be great.

Two quick questions for you knowledgeable Dark Apostles (I'm still just an Acolyte :rolleyes: )

What ranks are there in the hierachy? I know there are Dark Apostles, and theres the First Acolyte, but how is the rest of the Host arranged in terms of rank?

How is a Host organized militarily? Are there companies, or similar formations?

The Word be with you always.

Archived