Come fellow Word Bearers

LorgarXVII17

From what I can piece together this is the combat organization of the Word Bearers...

Lorgar is first then you have Kor Phearon and First Apostle Erebus, then the Council of the Dark Apostles (I believe that only 12 apostles plus Kor Phearon and Erebus serve here.) then the individual Dark Apostles the First Acolytes Then the Coryphaus (War leader) then the Champions, the battle brothers, then the Traitor gaurd, Cultists and then the slaves. Havent quite figured out where our Tech Priests and support personel fall into it but thats a good start. As for Companies We call them hosts, but yea pretty much Companies there.

Right now I dont have a Camera so pics of the Doomsday Device are a no go but possibly in the next month or so. Along with pics of the rest of my army as well.

Actually Skirax, I believe you're mistaken, in Anthony Reynolds' WB series, the Terminators in Jerulek's Host are referred to as the "Annointed", which could be a legion wide name for the Host's Terminator squads, just as Coryphaus is used for the Chaos Lord beneath the Dark Apostle and First Acolyte.

Edit:

Word Bearers Legion Hierarchy/Organization:

Lorgar

The Dark Council (Consists of eight members including Kor Phaeron, Erebus, and six other Dark Apostles, most likely of the 6 largest hosts, given Marduk is a member of the council)

The Hosts

Word Bearers Host Hierarchy/Organization:

Dark Apostle

First Acolyte

Coryphaus

Host Icon Bearer

Annointed Champion (Terminator Champion)

The Annointed (Terminators)

Blessed Champion (Possessed Champion)

The Blessed (Possessed)

Aspiring Champions

Brothers

The Word Bearers usually operate in squads of 12 Brothers with a Champion leading them, however, that's only the CSM squads as far as I know.

Word Bearers Squad Composition:

1 Aspiring Champion

1 Brother with an Icon of Chaos Glory

1 Brother with a Special Weapon (Flamer, Meltagun, Plasma Gun)

1 Brother with a Heavy Weapon (Autocannon, Heavy Bolter, Lascannon, Missile Launcher)

9 Brothers with Standard Weapons

Note: In Codex: CSM 4th Ed. the brothers with special and heavy weapons, also count as having a Bolt Pistol and Chainsword, it's only the Bolter that is replaced, the Icon Bearer and Aspiring Champion have standard weapons, the Aspiring Champion as we all know can be given all sorts of goodies.

And the Word Bearers Legion was split in two after the Heresy, the majority fled to the Eye of Terror (Sicarus), whereas the rest fled to the Maelstrom (Ghalmek), and I would take it that transportation between the two is possible without ever entering Imperial space, as per Fire Warrior, Dark Crusade, and various sources.

P.S. I coined "The Blessed" as a WB term referring to the Possessed, feel free to use it.

I have come back from the grave of partying and festivals and returned to my lair of worship and study to update my blog with new models and the like.

next will probably be a DP :D

Nope. it'll be terminators.

Word Bearers Host Hierarchy/Organization:

Dark Apostle

First Acolyte

Coryphaus

Host Icon Bearer

Annointed Champion (Terminator Champion)

The Annointed (Terminators)

Blessed Champion (Possessed Champion)

The Blessed (Possessed)

Aspiring Champions

Brothers

Thanks for that list, that is exactly what I was looking for. I plan on making up a lot of background story behind my own Host, and writing some fan fiction about the Word Bearers too, so this helps alot!

Do the word bearers call the leaders of their squads Aspiring Champions? Seeing as there is a rank called "First Acolyte", I would have thought there would be another rank called "Acolyte" or something similar. I am probably wrong, but just something I thought of.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings heres an AAR (after Action Report)

Armies Word Bearers versus Imp Gaurd

Mission Anihalation (Spelling bad)

highlights

IG commander turned to Spawn

Chosen outflanked and on the first turn they arrived destroyed 3 IG Tanks

Result IG Kill points 8

Word Bearer KP 13

Glory to the word.

11 Chosen marines 198 points

Melta bombs all around 55 points

Look on a gaurd players face when one unit shows up and assaults three tanks and destroys them in one turn.......

Priceless

109th host, reporting

From the fluff I've been putting together, certain quirks to share (I'm awful at generating names):

Dark Apostle: the ranking commander of the 109th is a gifted seer and powerful sorcerer. His mind is highly attuned with, even more present within, the currents of the immaterium. He owes his prescience and prophetic gifts to this nature, but it leaves him somewhat... detatched. As the millennia grind on, some begin to wonder if his visionary madness enlightens as much as it confounds.

First Acolyte: Impeccably groomed to excel at both military and spiritual leadership, the First Acolyte has long since abandoned any pretense of seeking mentorship beneath his enigmatic Apostle. Instead, he takes his rightful place as first among the Blessed, whether in battle or ceremony. The zeal of the First Acolyte's howling demagoguery is such that its words will penetrate even the frothing rages of the Possessed, and his body has been touched so magnificently by the Dark Gods that not even the Blessed can outmatch his speed.

Coryphaus: Kol Jainin the Hellblessed, Eightfold Champion of the Empyrean, functionally commands the Host in all but the most general of senses. Though bound to the goals, priorities, and whims of his Apostle, these strictures rarely determine anything more specific than the purpose towards which the 109th shall be deployed or the larger strategy they will favor. Though reminders of his subordinate status inspire titanic rages, Kol Jainin has little interest in such matters; where or why one kills is ultimately irrelevant. Thus, despite having ascended to Daemonhood many centuries past, Kol Jainin continues to lead the 109th in war and prayer, coveting his exalted status and reveling in the near-worship of his former battle brothers.

The Four Horsemen: Before each major assault or significant battle, the 109th chooses four battle-brothers to honour above the rest. These favoured warriors, representing the Four Powers, are each gifted with a fearsome daemonic steed and commanded to ride before the Host as harbingers of the death it brings. Additionally, one among the Four may receive an honour higher still, and be entrusted with the Last of Mourning Cries. This daemon-forged artifact, a mighty horn carved from shimmering evil, evokes such anguish and despair in those who hear its keen that the creatures of the Empyrean will flock and swarm about the soul-lights of the listeners so thickly and closely as to rake their minds with astral claws and threaten the barrier of reality itself.

As I'm strictly a collector and painter for the moment, I don't have a whole army to showcase. However, my Acolyte and Coryphaus each have a painting thread in the WIP forums (click the images to visit).

gallery_55880_5095_302739.jpg

gallery_55880_5095_58092.jpg

The First Host of Lord Erebus, reporting.

"...and on this day, the Gods were gifted, rather than the norm of them bestowing gifts upon their followers; Erebus had delivered their ultimate prize, the prize that would bring them what they ultimately wanted..."

-from the Word of Lorgar

Coryphaus Toumanez; A close follower of the Ruinous Powers since the false Great Crusade's end, and a sycophant of Erebus for many years, Toumanez's close dedication and endurance has led to him becoming one of the most favoured of Chaos Sorcerors. It being rare for a Coryphaus to be blessed with Warp-Touch, Toumanez has plumbed dark depths that has led to him losing his sight after he clawed his eyes out at the abominations he saw at the Taint of Hirauld, and his whole form being mutated into a raving monster of grey and black flesh. After his tragic transformation into spawndom, he sought out the Greater Daemon of T'zeentch Tch'kall'sta, which bestowed a gift upon him known as the Necklace of Eversight - the Necklace allowed him to turn his form into whatever he wished, but it came with a major drawback; with a burden akin to that of Fateweaver, Toumanez could only see into the future, and could not see what was occuring around him. As such, Toumanez can see what his opponents will do before they do it, and how he can parry or in some way prevent it.

The Chosen of Erebus; A mob of raving Possessed Marines that attack anything in sight, the Chosen of Erebus is a deadly foe in any field of battle. Erebus is normally accompanied into battle with Nine of his Chosen, one for each of the points of the Chaos Star, and one for the Centre Star, in his personal Land Raider, the Burning Star.

Does anyone know the relationship between the Dark Mechanicus and the Word Bearers?

Interesting question, I would like to know as well. Ghalmek (the WB planet in the Maelstrom) is/was a Forge World, right?

IIRC, it's part forge world, part temple.

Why does everybody do that pose with their daemon princes!?!?! :) Isn't Chaos supposed to be chaotic, as opposed to monotone?

Sorry, for my rant. It's kind of sad, though, the painting you guys do is absolutely beautiful, but really, can you at least have him regarding something like an orb or a book in his hand, just to try and improve and differiantiate it? Just a little?

Why does everybody do that pose with their daemon princes!?!?! B) Isn't Chaos supposed to be chaotic, as opposed to monotone?

Sorry, for my rant. It's kind of sad, though, the painting you guys do is absolutely beautiful, but really, can you at least have him regarding something like an orb or a book in his hand, just to try and improve and differiantiate it? Just a little?

Well, unfortunately you don't get much choice in the matter. The kit isn't poseable... all the joints have load bearing dovetails or the like, and seat very snugly in exactly one position. He fits together more like a metal figure than a plastic one. And while there are other arm options, the bare arms just don't look right with the shoulder pads or chestplate, and the power armoured forearms are too beefy to mix with the bare arms. No matter what you do it looks like one arm's wasting away and one arm's disgustingly bloated.

You could avoid using *any* power armour parts, but then his silhouette will appear distinctly lithe and lean next to all the shoulderpads and chestplates. Since a space marine's individual prowess tends to correlate directly with how far above his head his shoulders go, a model with a neck and proportionate arms just doesn't have the feel you need for their baddest dude. You could probably kit one up as a convincing greater daemon, but not as an overgrown marine.

As for the heads, well, that's more that the other two are pretty awful.

My guy has been caught in mid sentence saying "I'm going to crush your little Pea sized brain" and he's using his hand to demonstrate how the crushing will be done.

Irreverent I know, but I've been heard to ask if you can smell what the daemon prince is cooking. *glares with squiggly eyebrows*

Its my understanding that Ghalmek isnt a Word Bearer Planet its just a forge world of the Dark Mechanicus Allied to the Word Bearers. Sicarus is our home.... Well thats my take on it from the Dark Trilogy

Ghalmek is the current HQ (eugh) of the Word Bearers, Sicarus is where Lorgar was found and the where most of the original Legionares came from.

Well, unfortunately you don't get much choice in the matter. The kit isn't poseable... all the joints have load bearing dovetails or the like, and seat very snugly in exactly one position. He fits together more like a metal figure than a plastic one. And while there are other arm options, the bare arms just don't look right with the shoulder pads or chestplate, and the power armoured forearms are too beefy to mix with the bare arms. No matter what you do it looks like one arm's wasting away and one arm's disgustingly bloated.

You could avoid using *any* power armour parts, but then his silhouette will appear distinctly lithe and lean next to all the shoulderpads and chestplates. Since a space marine's individual prowess tends to correlate directly with how far above his head his shoulders go, a model with a neck and proportionate arms just doesn't have the feel you need for their baddest dude. You could probably kit one up as a convincing greater daemon, but not as an overgrown marine.

As for the heads, well, that's more that the other two are pretty awful.

I see... 'sighs'

And I was excited we got a new daemon prince model :D

Archived