why powerfists?

angry man

I agree wholeheartedly with your statement.

It is quite simply impractical to include a fist in EVERY squad, however it is not wise to ignore the value of powerfists entirely. About half of my force uses powerfists and focus on dreadnoughts, the rest attack infantry.

Heres my 1kpts competitive. its whats gotten me to 10-3 along with my godly 2k pts one

998/1000pts

** HQ **

Captain 118pts

-Lightning claw

-Storm bolter

** Troops **

(10)Tactical Squad Alpha 250pts

-Sergeant w/Powerfist

-Lascannon, Plasma gun

-Rhino

(10)Tactical Squad Beta 250pts

-Sergeant w/Powerfist

-Lascannon, Plasma gun

-Rhino

** Heavy Support **

Devastator Squad 140pts

-x2 Plasma Cannons

Predator 120pts

-Autocannon

-Side sponson Lascannons

Predator 120pts

-Autocannon

-Side sponson Lascannons

powerfists all around!

Hey look.... lots of ranged weaponry... and only two tacticals.... it's about halfway there. Does anyone else notice the lack of manpower?

I agree with Voltaire. A vast majority of my squads use fists, because I find they are more effective with them than they are without them. But not every squad. The only Tactical squad in my BA currently has no fist. But almost every squad in my chaos army has a fist (except the TSons who can't).

Quite right. I may have come across as stubbornly against power-fist but I do use them quite often. I simply have no desire what so ever to include them in every bloody squad.

Heres my 1kpts competitive. its whats gotten me to 10-3 along with my godly 2k pts one

998/1000pts

** HQ **

Captain 118pts

-Lightning claw

-Storm bolter

** Troops **

(10)Tactical Squad Alpha 250pts

-Sergeant w/Powerfist

-Lascannon, Plasma gun

-Rhino

(10)Tactical Squad Beta 250pts

-Sergeant w/Powerfist

-Lascannon, Plasma gun

-Rhino

** Heavy Support **

Devastator Squad 140pts

-x2 Plasma Cannons

Predator 120pts

-Autocannon

-Side sponson Lascannons

Predator 120pts

-Autocannon

-Side sponson Lascannons

powerfists all around!

Hey look.... lots of ranged weaponry... and only two tacticals.... it's about halfway there. Does anyone else notice the lack of manpower?

Um... its only 1000 points. Two full Tactical Squads are enough "manpower" at this point value IMO... Though I'm not particularly fond of the Devs or Captain.

between that 1k list and my 2k im doing fine. granted my 2k is vastly superior build. hasn't failed me yet except to some orks

list is fine at 1k dont know why you would disagree, someone told me there wasnt enough av14 in that list before as well. needless to say I laughed just as I am doing now :huh: :lol:

between that 1k list and my 2k im doing fine. granted my 2k is vastly superior build. hasn't failed me yet except to some orks

list is fine at 1k dont know why you would disagree, someone told me there wasnt enough av14 in that list before as well. needless to say I laughed just as I am doing now :lol: :lol:

I recently played a 1500pt game of Annilihation with my vanilla Chapter of SM against the Tyranids. I fielded power fists in 5 of my six squads. I used one Sternguard Squad (had PF), 2 Tac Squads (both had PF), 1 Assault Squad (had PF), 1 Devastator Squad (had PF) and a Sniper Scout squad (no PF).

I only lost two squads the Snipers (they were useless with their sniper rifles and no PF) and my Assault Squad as they were swarmed by three enemy units. The Assault squad did kill more in points than they were worth themselves (which is a victory to me, especially fighting Tyranids). My Sternguard killed off a unit of Hormagaunts (with their ranged weapons) and Tyranid Warriors (in close combat). My two Tac Squads killed TWO CARNIFEXES AND A HIVE TYRANT because of their Power Fists. With enough ablative wounds in a full squad, Sgts with Power Fists can take out ANYTHING!

I wiped every model of my opponent's off the board by the end of turn 5 fielding a non-competitve, well-rounded, vanilla Space Marine list. I attribute it to taking Power Fists in the vast majority of my squads. I don't think it is always necessary to field Power Fists against every opponent, but against armies that move fast and not only want but will get into h2h with you, the Power Fist is a Space Marine player's best friend, IMHO.

Rhinos can be rendered useless from a Str 5 weapon to its rear armor. I think Rhinos are important but also aren't always necessary. If you want to field a mobile, armored scoring unit with some firepower then take Razorbacks with 5 man squads and get bigger and better weapons with more shots for less points.

-40-

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer a Power Weapon and Combi-Melta (or BP to keep cost down) over the Power Fist - because I hate the way most of them look! Oh, why can't I get Thunder Hammers any more ;)

Seriously though, I prefer the Combi/PW because it gives the squad a "ranged" anti-Tank/Monster shot, and the Weapon keeps most mid-heavy Infantry concerned. I wouldn't take either, believing that Tacticals shouldn't be in assault, rather using the full force of short-ranged bolters...but short-range means combat, and I've had a few bad experiences stuck in combat with a rival Tactical Squad that had either a Weapon or Fist, and losing purely because of that 1-wound difference.

Mind you, I back the Tacticals up with 5-10 Terminators, so that "section" is hardly lacking in Power Fist love (5, DS in 1500 then either 5 in LR or 10 DS in 2000)

Pretty much, yup. And it is silly.

But it looks good though. I just really don't like Power Fists (looks), and it reminds me that they're a ranged unit. I still use them on my Terminators, and one on the 3rd Tactical Squad/TH in the Command Squad, so I'm not totally against them.

Archived