My Flesh Tearers blog: From 1500pts to half the chapter....

SamaNagol

Congrats on the new AB, sorry forgot to answer your PM :woot:

try windex, or windowlene. Iso alcohol is too much of a solvent to work as a thinner the paint separates from the binder. I'm surprised VJs AB medium didn't work for you. The other thinner I use is the cheap craft bottle acrylic thinner from michales. It's not really much better than water. Is the problem tip dry or splatter or...?

I am getting a nice consistent spray. And then I get sporadic cut outs. And then I get splatter. It's weird.

I disassemble then whole thing, clean it all out, put it back together again and then try again and it still happens.

If you want I can spray some paper and show you what I am getting, if that would help you identify the problem?

OMG Model Air is so good!

I just sprayed for like 30 minutes solid with no problems whatsoever!

I need to get some mixing pots and make sure that my paints are thinned consistently throughout that might make a difference. It is just a shame that Vallejo don't make a Model Air or Model Colour dark red that wont kill me if I atomise it in an enclosed space.

Thinning is the key with airbrushing GW paints, somewhere around 3:1 water:paint with a touch of windolene to help prevent tip drying. GW paint needs to be very well mixed before thinning, I have a Trumpeter battery operated paint stirring tool which speeds things up but stirring by hand will work it just takes longer.

Vallejo model colour black red will airbrush fine, just use the vallejo AB thinner and you want it the consistency of milk. Maybe pick up some of the Vallejo mixing pots as they have markings on the side to help with mixing batches and they have a dropper top so filling the AB is easy.

Best of luck getting to grips with your AB those new Iwata Neo's do look a bargain, I've got both a HP-C and Revolution the HP-C despite the price tag is more prone to clogging due to it's finer needle/tip so my 'go to' brush tends to be the Revolution for base coats and most of my AB painting. Oh and go to agree on VMA it is great :(

I looked down the side of the VMC Red Black bottle and it says 'Contains Cadmium. Do not spray'.

It's also a BIT too dark. It's a beautiful basecoat though. You get godlike coverage with it. And can then paint Red Gore over the top perfectly.

I will try the 3:1 ratio on the GW paints and see how it goes. I have indeed ordered some of the empty eye dropped bottles to keep my paint mixes in.

I looked down the side of the VMC Red Black bottle and it says 'Contains Cadmium. Do not spray'.

I'd missed that one and have just checked some more of my VMC reds most of them, but not all, have this on. I will have to pay more attention in future to the bottle labels...

Ok so I have decided that, seeing as I am away for all of October, I will just base coat the whole army, then actually finish it after the GT.

It's going to look weird just base coated but as long as it is legal and playable, that's all that matters.

Got another Neo sorted. They are only £45 so it wasnt a huge issue. And they are pretty good regardless.

Unfortunately now due to work commitments I can't make it to ToS Event 2! So if anyone wants my ticket it is up for grabs.

I will still be finishing this force off, but I can take time with them and make sure they are up to standard.

I've base coated most of the infantry. Done a couple of vehicle hulls. Learning how to use pre-shading. I bought some of the Vallejo alcohol based metallics for best coverage. Really enjoying discovering painting again!

just read through this whole thread and well done mate, your army is and has been buikding very nicely, i did a test FT model a few weeks ago to see about the colours and i really like their colour scheme too.

keep it going and lets see the finished products with your airbrush

rob

• 4 weeks later...

Came back off tour and had a lot of work to catch up on.

I did manage to go to a one day event at Warhammer World with shops playing against each other. 1500pt games and I took what I had prepared which was 2 AutoLas Preds, Vindicator, 4 attack bikes, 2 5 man Assault Squads in FlamerBacks, a Flame Baal, 10 man Tac squad with meltagun and Flamerback and Lascannon combat squaded, Librarian and a Furioso Talon Dread.

Went 1-2 on the day and was disappointed with the synergy of the list. Wave Serpents really were hard to deal with. The Dread didn't do well at all as it was too slow. The Vindicator was a let down.

I'm going to just swap in 3x5RAS in Razors with TLPG/LAs or TLAC, a Furioso in a Pod and a 5 man Dev Squad with a Sang Priest.

• 8 months later...
Tried water and isopropyl alchohol. And water and liquitex. And airbrush thinning medium from vallejo.

Fail. Fail & Fail.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Have you tried Vallejo's line of air brush specific paints? I don't have an airbrush, but I use them because they are considerably thinner (go figure :P ) Perhaps they will help.

Archived