Does russ have friends?

Lord Draco

My opinions, take 'em or leave 'em.

Russ Impression: ON

* Horus? Ah, he's not so bad. Could be much worse.

* Magnus? What a sissy. Sitting on dead planets and reading books... there's fighting to be done, dammit!

* Angron? Little git wishes he was me.

* Mortarion? Damn. He needs to wash. I don't trust a man who refuses to show his face. Masked clown.

* Fulgrim? Gah. He could stand to be better.

* Lorgar? Pfft. I'll pass. Maybe he can be Magnus' bookmark.

* Perturabo? I reckon kid's got potential. Seriously needs to work that stick out of his behind, though.

* Konrad Curze? Take a look at his first name. The Allfather doesn't even like him. and what's this about calling himself Night Haunter? Wishes he was in a damned child's book.

* Alpharius? Who?

* Ferrus Manus? Ah, good man there. No nonsense. I like him.

* Sanguinius? Nice enough guy. Gives me the creeps, but I can't fault him.

* Lion? Ah, gotta love Lion. We used to hate eachothers guts, y'know that? Now we play tennis with Land Raiders. I've still got a wobbly tooth after he decked me. but that's okay. He's got a wobbly nose! Bwahaha!

* Jaghatai? Good lad there.

* Dorn? Well, he's alright, I suppose. Can't say I really like or dislike him.

* Roboute? Prat. Walks around like he owns the damn place. I've seen peacocks walk with moe humility!

* Vulkan? Well, he's okay. Makes good toys. but we need to break things, not make them. We are Astartes! Let the smiths follow after us.

* Corax? Bah. His is the colour of cowardice. I'd like to see him take something in a straight fight.

The only ones he really liked were the Khan, Horus, and the Lion. I don't think him and Roboute would have gotten on very well. Magnus described the worlds the Ultramarines conquered as utopias, he said all Russ left behind were smoking ruins, and Russ said he was fine with that (I bet that kill kill kill kill'em all attitude would have pissed off Roboute sooner or later). And don't forget, both Sanguinius and Fulgrim sided with Magnus at the Council of Nikae. Everybody else, probably neutral at best.

Perturabo... no. He respected Horus, that we know. And I imagine we would get along with Ferrus unless they were so similar it caused a rivalry. But they should be able to at least have small talk about how to build a better mouse trap/plasma core/warp drive, and talk about what types of bionics their marines favored. I could also see him getting along with Magnus. Both are looking for knowledge, just different types of knowledge, and their troops prefer to 'plan' how to kill their enemies instead of just running in screaming like idiots. I think I remember that at one time he got along with Dorn in the early days. His hatred came after the rivalry.

Perturabo and Russ... no, no, no.

Russ: Look greenskins! Lets rip their faces off!

Perturabo: We should lure them to us, put the artillery here, and our fast moving tanks here to flank from the side...

Russ: Shut up and tell ur boys to grab their chainswords!!!

Perturabo: Marine survivability against orks is significantly higher at range, we should shoot them and resort to close quarters combat when they are approximately 30....

Russ: ARG!! You plan to much, its easy, just CHARGE!!!

Russ: Look at my wulfen, glorious aren't they?

Perturabo: They look like mutants. Mutations are abhorrent, you should replace those mutations with bionics. A plasma cutter for a hand will cut through power armor 50 percent...

Russ: You want me to turn my Warriors into servitors?!?!

Perturabo: Well they are mindless beasts as it is. They would serve you be...

Russ: BEASTS!!!

I don't see them getting along :lol: .

The only ones he really liked were the Khan, Horus, and the Lion. I don't think him and Roboute would have gotten on very well. Magnus described the worlds the Ultramarines conquered as utopias, he said all Russ left behind were smoking ruins, and Russ said he was fine with that (I bet that kill kill kill kill'em all attitude would have pissed off Roboute sooner or later). And don't forget, both Sanguinius and Fulgrim sided with Magnus at the Council of Nikae. Everybody else, probably neutral at best.

If Magnus could have joined the Crusade he may have gained a more insightful understanding of the SW approach to liberating worlds vs other Legions - try Tales of Heresy...

Perturabo... no. He respected Horus, that we know. And I imagine we would get along with Ferrus unless they were so similar it caused a rivalry. But they should be able to at least have small talk about how to build a better mouse trap/plasma core/warp drive, and talk about what types of bionics their marines favored. I could also see him getting along with Magnus. Both are looking for knowledge, just different types of knowledge, and their troops prefer to 'plan' how to kill their enemies instead of just running in screaming like idiots. I think I remember that at one time he got along with Dorn in the early days. His hatred came after the rivalry.

Perturabo and Russ... no, no, no.

Russ: Look greenskins! Lets rip their faces off!

Perturabo: We should lure them to us, put the artillery here, and our fast moving tanks here to flank from the side...

Russ: Shut up and tell ur boys to grab their chainswords!!!

Perturabo: Marine survivability against orks is significantly higher at range, we should shoot them and resort to close quarters combat when they are approximately 30....

Russ: ARG!! You plan to much, its easy, just CHARGE!!!

Russ: Look at my wulfen, glorious aren't they?

Perturabo: They look like mutants. Mutations are abhorrent, you should replace those mutations with bionics. A plasma cutter for a hand will cut through power armor 50 percent...

Russ: You want me to turn my Warriors into servitors?!?!

Perturabo: Well they are mindless beasts as it is. They would serve you be...

Russ: BEASTS!!!

I don't see them getting along :P .

Actually, Leman Russ was not a frenzied killer. He was a respected strategist, he has written four books about warfare.

I think Leman Russ must have had a lot of friends, he was a fun guy.

I imagine that Russ got along with most of the Primarchs. He was probably the boisterous brother, who tried to gee everybody up by being pal-ly with them. No, wait, that sounds a boy band description. Still, I'd have thought he wasn't disliked by anybody particularly, until they went against his principles, which would make him less inclined to be friendly toward them.

It's probably worth mentioning that one of the theories for Russ's disappearance was that he went to search for Johnson, and was last seen heading in the general direction of the Eye of Terror. These two are also cited as holding the Imperium together following the Heresy, whilst Guilliman tasked himself with structural reorganisation.

Actually, Leman Russ was not a frenzied killer. He was a respected strategist, he has written four books about warfare.

Never meant to imply he was. I was hinting that he is very aggressive and his tactics tend to be extremely offensive. Nothing wrong with that, its called a blitz and works quite well. But if you have him teamed up with someone who likes to plan more, take it slower, or even force the enemy to come to them then you have a conflict in fighting styles. The armies are not going to work together well. IWs tend to be better in the slower fight breaking their enemy slowly from afar or bringing them to them, now in the end they hit hard, but they weaken their enemy before the kill. Thousand Sons plan a lot as well.... but more because they think they can see the future.

He also has psykers and mutants running around in his army and has convinced himself they are not.

Never meant to imply he was. I was hinting that he is very aggressive and his tactics tend to be extremely offensive. Nothing wrong with that, its called a blitz and works quite well. But if you have him teamed up with someone who likes to plan more, take it slower, or even force the enemy to come to them then you have a conflict in fighting styles. The armies are not going to work together well. IWs tend to be better in the slower fight breaking their enemy slowly from afar or bringing them to them, now in the end they hit hard, but they weaken their enemy before the kill. Thousand Sons plan a lot as well.... but more because they think they can see the future.

He also has psykers and mutants running around in his army and has convinced himself they are not.

imo its because they could see the future, The fault lay in their belief that they could control it. Their planning would then just be a result of their attempts to ensure they control the future or because its just their way of approaching life (since they seem to require rigid control and planning in every part of their being).

But anyhow, I disagree that teaming the Wolves up with a force that has a conflicting fighting style means the wolves won't get along with them. If anything, it may cause them to like each other just because of how the two legions could possible compliment one another. For example, the Iron Warriors could crack any tough shells the Sons of Russ would have issues with, then leave the final stages of the Siege to the Wolves. Nonetheless, I think Perturabo can be ruled out because of how the Index Astartes uses an example of Russ and the Khan referring to Perturabo as just a "comrade".

As for the topic, I think Angron's Sons and Russ' Sons would get along fine just because they both have similar beliefs, backgrounds, and fighting styles. In "Battle for the Abyss", it seemed like that anyway. I would also venture further and say that Angron and Russ would be good friends out of a common sense of marshal pride and their beliefs in how the correct means of warfare is though up front confrontation, never anything else.

(oddly enough, I find it amusing that many of the Russ relationship speculations also seem to fall in a perfect match with the dividing lines of the Heresy. Aka, speculation so far seems to indicate that Russ liked all the soon-to-be loyalists while already hating all the soon-to-be traitors.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Now, I dont have a great understanding of the herasy, having not read any of the books other than A Thousand Sons, but in the final Ragnar book, when he is talking to the 13 Co, they mention a story about russ getting so worked up at Horus that he almost hit him, it didnt say why though, in the end the big e enterviened and russ hit him instead, russ was then out colld for a month. also I dont see him getting on with Rowboat, as he would see him as having a rod stuck up his 'Ahem' rearend

Dorn and Russ seem very similar with how they molded their Legions; the Wolves, while primarily a forward charge, unstoppable juggernaut of a Legion, are also unmovable in defence. Look at the two Sieges of the Fang and how, against overwhelming odds, they staved off almost certain defeat.

Dorn and Russ seem very similar with how they molded their Legions; the Wolves, while primarily a forward charge, unstoppable juggernaut of a Legion, are also unmovable in defence. Look at the two Sieges of the Fang and how, against overwhelming odds, they staved off almost certain defeat.

After the Thousand Sons, the Imperial fists are most likely the least like the Space Wolves.

I think any chapter would be incredibly hard to shift from their home turf without some major luck on the attackers side, ie the Crimson Fists. It also helps that the Fang is supposed to

be the most well defended planet after Terra. This has a lot to do with the nature of Fenris and the multitude of orbital defences ( i would be paranoid about orbital invasion after the

happenings at Prospero, who could blame them?) and the size of the Fang itself, not the SWs.The natural geography of Fenris would also make it nearly imposible to conduct a regular

siege of the fang. The Space Wolves would not be any better than any other chapter when it comes to defence. Although they would become rather savage, the beast inside doesn't

like being cornered.

Who could claim to be like Russ? He was a lone wolf all the way. Which Primarch would possibly have had a similar sense of humor or as fierce martial pride? Angron? Too crazy. Sanguinius? Too pretty. The Lion? Too broody. The only company Russ would have enjoyed was Freki, Geri, and maybe his sword brothers.

To be the Alpha is to be alone.

Who could claim to be like Russ? He was a lone wolf all the way. Which Primarch would possibly have had a similar sense of humor or as fierce martial pride? Angron? Too crazy. Sanguinius? Too pretty. The Lion? Too broody. The only company Russ would have enjoyed was Freki, Geri, and maybe his sword brothers.

To be the Alpha is to be alone.

Nobody could claim to be like Russ, for there is only one Russ. just as there is only one Dorn, one Sangy and one Magnus.

That said, looking at Russ and the culture he came from, anybody who fought for humanity, listened to the All-father and lived with honor would be his friend.

Russ wrote enough books on warfare and strategy to dispel the moronic barbarian image that some people have stuck in their head, and a respect for those who fought beside him.

Russ and the Lion even ened up as friends. So Russ can change his opinion of somebody.

WLK

In Index Astartes: Iron Warriors, it is heavily implied that while The Khan and Russ got along quite well, they were both rather condescending to Perturabo. Basically, Perturabo and the Iron Warriors went to their usual huge efforts to break open a planet's defenses to allow The Khan and Russ to storm in, but afterwards they got the glory and his contribution was largely downplayed.

Kind of reminds me of Monty and Patton, now that I think about it. :)

I'd imagine that Ferrus and Russ were friends, and I have reasons.

First: They both were raised amongst nomadic tribal humans that fought amongst themselves. This would instill in both of them a respect for strength and self-sufficiency. Even after being found by the Emperor, they let their respective peoples continue to fight amongst themselves because (they felt) the constant tribal warfare created a stronger society.

Second: Both Primarchs favored a direct approach to combat. In Fulgrim, Fulgrim tells his brother that the reason he can't catch the Diasporex Fleet because as soon as he sees them, he sends his fleet directly at them. No flank attacks, no reserve, no shadowing the enemy -- they just go straight up the middle and crush the foe. Which if you think about it, is the same sort of stand-up fight that the Wolves prefer.

Russ and the Khan seem the most likey. Both like the great outdoors. Both come from simple barbaraic lands. Both had shamans. Both were considered wild barbarians.

Russ and corax due to the wereguild. Apsrt from that I doubt they had much in comman

Archived