Stabbin' and such: Triumphant at Last! 2/9/17

Firepower

I like the Chaplain. Is the top of he crozius from a nemesis force stave? And where did you get the left pauldron?

The Crozius is a force stave with the weaved bit by the fist cut out of both sides. The shoulder guard is from a Sanguinary Guard sprue. To be honest I'm thinking about replacing it with another one, but shaving off the emblem in the circle to make room for a cross. For a Templar, he seems a bit short on crosses to me. Then again, Jasper doesn't have many himself...

From behind he looks a little 'Fallen'. Let me help him into this nice comfy chair in Cell 42....

If you don't like how he looks from behind, say it to his front. I'm sure he'll be totally understanding...we Templars are a cordial sort, after all. :)

Heh heh, "cordial" but not overly tolerant, so I'm told.

Love the choice of bits you've used regardless, the skeleton on the pack is very 'Chaplainish'.

We're incredibly tolerant with people, once we get rid of the ones we don't approve of. :)

Thanks much. I tried to get a skull on every piece of armor. Short of his right pauldron and arm, I succeeded.

So I couldn't help but think something was wrong with the Godhand. I meant for the entire arm to resemble a singular relic/weapon, but the pauldron was distinctly separate and 'wrong' against the fist. Plus the gold blended in with the bone of the wing too well. I realized it was a palette problem, and fixed it thusly:

gallery_38474_6916_24755.jpg

It was the red circle 'round the skull that broke up the shape, and I'm much happier now. Thank the Throne it was such a simple change. :P

Blowing up images in photos always brings out the obsessive tendencies, and I can't help but go back and fix things. :) Even with this pic I see tiny little details that I will be fixing presently (the tiny bit of paint beneath the skull on the pauldron, for instance). The most annoying part is that damn chain- it's not a very good sculpt and it makes it damn near impossible for the paint to not look sloppy from one angle or another (particularly this one). :)

But overall I think I got the effect I was going for now, and from the tip of the wings to the knuckles the Godhand looks like a proper relic now. :)

Looking awesome FP, the change has indeed improved it. And I know what you mean, its like you've just finished painting and you took your time, then when photo time comes you see lots of little mistakes you just have to fix. I'm the same, hope to see more on a regular basis.

• 4 months later...

Wow your chaplian looks great.

No new Templars yet?

There comes such a time where ones crusade is breaking the foc in places, it is here that we generally start drawing lines.

Wow, wasn't expecting to see this on the front page. 

I've had a handful of Templars half done on my desk for some time now.  I just got tired of painting black and bone, and now I've got an airbrush and a DIY project taking up most of my interest.  But those poor headless sods on my desk are getting sorry to look at so..hmm.  Maybe some time soon.

But generally, with a thread this old, it's better just to send a PM rather than dabble in Threadromancy.

I, for one, am grateful for threadomancy. Without it, I probably wouldn't have seen these miniatures, having been inactive so long. Those are beautiful, Firepower. Nice freehand skills, too. I'd like to see what else you've produced since these. Even headless sods would be welcome.

~K

• 4 months later...

I just saw in antoher thread, that you stopped doing Templars because you ran out of things to build paint. However you dont even went for Assualtmarines, Dreads or Sword brothers.

So how do I say it most polite?:  Back to the workbench! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Our own Venerable Deard Templar 14 also dropped the classic metal Veteran w/ Mace into my lap just a day or two ago out of the blue :D

Now I got all this pressure to paint more Templars!  I need to get off my duff and finish the pauldrons of these last 4 guys so I can greet the inbound Vet and new models with an empty, hungry workbench.

I really like that chappie. I'm of the opinion that you can't have too many and now, we could even put a whole squad of them out there as Sternguard.

Anyway, bravo.

Chaplains as Sternguard?  :huh.: 

Unfortunately, if current rumors are true, Brahm won't even be legal as a Chaplain. Their only CCW option is a Crozius.

Anyway, if anyone's gonna be doing the Sterning, it'll be the Arrows.  Let them do the trigger work.  Templars are an assault centric army, and they always will be :P

After almost a year of hiatus. Blam.

gallery_38474_6916_49115.jpg

gallery_38474_6916_17142.jpg

gallery_38474_6916_23253.jpg

These poor shmucks have been on my desk all that time. They were so glad to be finished that they wouldn't even let me finish painting their bases' trims before taking pics. It also might have had something to do with my current lack of varnish.

Edited by Firepower