Stabbin' and such: Triumphant at Last! 2/9/17

Firepower

I really like the final version. The two toned color is very effective.

Regarding texture, you're right. You don't have any right now, but the challenge is to get just enough that it looks real and not like your vehicles have been in a dirty diaper fight. Powders are good for that.

One option would be to use a darker brown powder first, then apply the second lighter ash color over it to get the same color effect, but with texture.

There's also some fine silicone sand that you can get from...now I'm trying to remember where I saw it. Anyway, it's very fine, almost powdery and you could mix it in your paint or sprinkle it over the wet paint.

What is important is to not gloop (technical term) it everywhere.

Thanks for the input Honda.  The question I have is whether or not this current product is good enough to qualify as 'finished' on its own.  I would like to avoid breaking into new territory (powders) if I can avoid it.  However I can't help but feel it is not complete as is.  I always feel that way about my work though, so I never know if I should leave well enough alone.

I've seen some people make tank grit with a cocktail of sand, PVA glue and varnish, but I'm not sure that would really be durable enough to survive my super snug transport cases.

EDIT- Come to think of it, why not just try a base of Games Workshop Texture Paint?  Just a dab here and there, assuming it clings with any real tenacity, would do just fine I imagine.

Edited by Firepower

I'm looking at it with my phone's web browser, so I may be missing some detail (but maybe that limitation would be similar to looking at the model across a gaming table). Anyway, the weathering pattern seems rather consistent and uniform from from to back. If a tank is moving forward across dusty ground, any debris thrown up by the movement would tend to travel up and back across the side of the tank, causing more deposition on the back portions. If the track are grinding the earth into powder, this effect might be even more pronounced. The deposition might be even more pronounced on the forward-facing surfaces (such as the front-angled parts of the smokestack armor). It also might become hazier toward the back if the substance is being ground to powder.

That said, I think you could field them with the weathering as is. The effect is already very well done.

~K

p.s. I still really do like those white panels. Makes me wish I hadn't decided against them on my own armor.

I really like the orange color - just like the earth you get around here, which has a high iron content.

I do wonder if it's on a bit thick, given that your infantry aren't covered in mud to the knees. Tracked vehicles will kick up dust even where boots may not, but it'll be a bit more subtle.

From memory, you get the thickest dust on the back of the vehicle, with very little on the front. This is because the swirls up behind the moving vehicle and gets sucked onto the back of it. The faster it goes the more pronounced this effect is.

For dust, you should be able to get a good effect using a very light misting spray with your airbrush.

Mud (Missouri clay) around here is fairly orange, too, but it wouldn't fit well in a desert.  Frankly there shouldn't be any mud at all.

The problem with getting generous with dust on the rear ramp is the blending of colors- the panels are the same color as the dust.  It is indeed too uniform as it stands, but it'll take me a bit to dial in the sweet spot.  For a first attempt, it's a good start, but there are still some bugs to work out.

I went and got a bottle of GW Texture paint earlier today, and dabbed up a few spots on the treads and the armor around them.  It's not the right color, so I'll ahve to go back and paint over it when it dries.  I'll try to post up pictures of the results later today.

OK, I dabbed on a bit of the Texture paint, primarily on the treads at the front and rear, as well as around the front treads. I tried to make it look as though the front tracks were hitting grit, which turned to sandy powder by the time it reached the rear (with the larger mess still stuck in the tracks' teeth). I also narrowed the width of the weathering around the front treads.

gallery_38474_6916_41596.jpg

And from the back

gallery_38474_6916_57030.jpg

The further I go, the more I dislike the mud spatter, mostly because of the color. If I made it darker, it would just look like actual, earthy mud, but going lighter risks it blending into the Bleached Bone dust too well. I may try going back and using a yellower base.

Thoughts?

Edited by Firepower

Darker mud is definently the way to go I think Firepower.

Trouble is, the army is desert based. I think going for lighter sand is better. After taking some look at reference material (pictures of tanks in the desert, mainly) I went back and washed out everything in Graveyard Earth to replace the Bestial Brown as the basecoat. It already looks better to me, but I still gotta let it finish drying before I go back and re-drybrush the Bone on. Edited by Firepower

Bleached Bone drybrush over Graveyard Earth.

gallery_38474_6916_48302.jpg

gallery_38474_6916_37430.jpg

Looks a lot more sandy I think. The trouble is that the Bestial Brown is definitely showing through a bit, lending that orange color. That's not a bad thing, except that it means an extra step in the process should I decide to make this my final method.

I also gotta go back and fix the Bone panels now to erase the orange spattered on them :P

Thoughts?

Better. I still think you might be better off just misting a couple of layers of your infantry base colours on to represent desert dust, so your vehicles match your infantry.

Now I need to exdigitate and finish my housework so I can do some more on my own crusade!

The paints I've used to do the weathering are indeed the same paints I use to base the infantry.  The problem is, those exact paints are also used to make the off-white panels.

To keep the two from looking too much alike, I decided a textured, dusty look via drybrushing would do better than misting on the paint with an airbrush like I did for the white panels.

I'm pretty much convinced that I will have to go back and start over to erase that damned orange underneath it all.  It's driving me nuts. :verymad:

Edited by Firepower

I'm pretty much convinced that I will have to go back and start over to erase that damned orange underneath it all.  It's driving me nuts. :verymad:

Take ten deep breaths and exhale slowly Big Guy.

Seriously, I like the effect and the fact that the colors aren't uniform. I don't know if you want to do Beastial Brown or not, but that splatter effect is just ace. If not BB, then a darker brown, just to break it up. I think the key to getting good weathering effects, is to not make it look like you  did it, but that it happened.

That splatter effect does that. It's a nice touch.

...and I'm not just saying  that so that you look at your vehicles with a lot of weathering hate and think, "Honda made me do this". ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well first off, the shoulders:

Prime Black, separate from the model- having the shoulder separate makes it easier to paint the fine details in the final stages, and prevents the trouble of hard to reach spots behind pistol butts, swords, etc.

Base Bestial Brown

Now there are two choices

Easy: Paint on a few watered down layers of Dheneb Stone until mostly even, paint over with Bleached Bone, and line the edges and recesses with Vomit Brown or Bestial Brown, depending on preference.

Hard: Layer steadily up to Bleached bone with progressively lighter shades of brown, starting with Vomit, then Graveyard Earth, Khomando Khaki, and finally Bleached Bone. Keep each layer thin and watered down to ensure a smooth finish in the end.

I don't highlight the bleached bone in either method, which i think helps to keep that sort of worn/ancient/gritty look that the pure white lacks.

I needed this lore. I came here to steal it.

One day, many years from now, when you finally paint a model, I hope to be in the bibliography

If you had a better user name, you might have been one of the characters he kills off in his next novel. :P

On the topic of the Rhino's weathering, I think some of the problem is that you have splatter and have applied the effect as if it was mud rather than dust from a desert. Dont get me wrong, I SUCK at painting and pay others to do it for me, however, what I am seeing on the tanks is a mud splatter. No matter how like you make the weathering and what colours, it still has the splatter effect which you dont normally see from vehicles moving through a desert/arid landscape.

Indeed. Trust a tanker : it looks great, but as a dried mud effect. Sand itself wouldn't stick to the low sides of the hull (unless wet), instead you have an overall dusty appearance (drybrush of tallarn sand, bleached bone, or why not a tamiya weathering stick should do the trick). Then you can glue some actual sand to the tracks themselves, and if you want to give the impression that it just went through a sandstorm, glue some to some corners of the roof, to represent deposits from the wind.

I tried doing strictly drybrushing to begin with, and it looks pretty silly, actually. That being said, the mud-spatter isn't helping a lot either. I think the drybrushing may have failed originally because of a lack of texture. I eventually went out and got some of that coarse half-assed-basing paint (much more durable than glue and sand) from GW to slap on texture where I need it.

So sometime I'll have to go back and start fresh, just adding some chunkies where I think they'll look good and drybrushing on from there.

But for now, I have like 10 Neophytes, 4 Sword Brethren and 4 Initiates to assemble and paint...and then after that I'll need 5 more Neophytes, then a bunch of crap for my Arrows. Yick.

Edited by Firepower