Today Mephiston slayed...

A completely unhurt Tervigon, The last unsaved wound was force-weaponed away.

Unhurt Doom of malantai

Tyranid Prime

4 genestealers..

After this game he had 3 wound suffered.. All "self infilcted" with some help of shadows of the warp.

I was impressed.

we had an unsure rule in wether a psyker is allowed to use force weapon in the opposing player turn. But since rule says "after unsaved wound occured." we allowed it.

we had an unsure rule in wether a psyker is allowed to use force weapon in the opposing player turn. But since rule says "after unsaved wound occured." we allowed it.
Even the base Librarian may use one power in each player turn. So at 100 points you can use Might in your assault phase and then as long as you don't use Shield or something during his turn you can use the force weapon in his player turn assault phase.

So Meph should have no problems at all.

Unhurt Doom of malantai

Tyranid Prime

4 genestealers..

After this game he had 3 wound suffered.. All "self infilcted" with some help of shadows of the warp.

I was impressed.

This just continues to prove my theory that Mephiston should be renamed Methiston. That guy is obviously on some powerful stuff!

Even the base Librarian may use one power in each player turn. So at 100 points you can use Might in your assault phase and then as long as you don't use Shield or something during his turn you can use the force weapon in his player turn assault phase.

So Meph should have no problems at all.

I just want to make sure I have this right, Mephiston can cast three powers per player turn including his force weapon, correct? In case if someone start whining at my LGS.

I just want to make sure I have this right, Mephiston can cast three powers per player turn including his force weapon, correct? In case if someone start whining at my LGS.
Well nothing stops THOSE guys from whining. ;)

What follows is, to my best understanding the Psychic rules. Experienced Librarians PLEASE chime in.

Poorly written Codex/Rules debate: the only issue is how each sentence is written. Mephiston's entry says..., "He can use three Psychic powers each turn." They do not specify Game Turn or Player Turn. This is just lazy stupid on GWs part. They have the same lack of clarity in the Epistolary entry. How hard could this be to write clearly?

So, before someone starts down the path of whining stupidity go straight to the beginning and use the totality of what is written instead of just a sentence-fragment-by-sentence-fragment lawyer-like effort to obfuscate.

Excuse the ALL CAPS shouting – I am not shouting really but am avoiding bold or italic to really highlight the issue.

Blood Angels Librarian, page 46…, "He can use only one power EACH PLAYER TURN unless he has been upgraded to an Epistolary, in which case he can use up to TWO PSYCHIC POWERS each turn." GW should have written "PLAYER" before TURN the second time or else what would an Epistolary do?

If a Librarian can use Might in his player turn and his force weapon in his opponents turn that already is TWO PSYCHIC POWERS in a game turn. Therefore we are relying on someone's ability to read a complex sentence and the key words are now, "unless" and "in which case" that in the sentence clearly indicate that the the Epistolary has the ability to use two powers in each player turn.

You are still restricted to using only one "shooting" power though.

Mephiston should be able to use Wings in the movement phase, Fleet or shoot his plasma pistol, and then use the Sanguine Sword AND/OR Unleash Rage in the Assault. After causing an unsaved wound he can then use his Force Weapon.

In the opponents turn he could again use the Sanguine Sword AND/OR Unleash Rage in the Assault. After causing an unsaved wound he can then use his Force Weapon. Note: Because he only knows the three he cannot use those three in the opponents phase (force weapon would be the third).

I put AND/OR as I know there are restrictions on Psychic Shooting Attacks but there is nothing to prevent Mephiston from using two Assault Psychic attacks. Note: If you use both psychic assault powers in your player turn and you have used wings in your movement phase you could not also then use the force weapon.

Blood Angels Librarian, page 46…, "He can use only one power EACH PLAYER TURN unless he has been upgraded to an Epistolary, in which case he can use up to TWO PSYCHIC POWERS each turn." GW should have written "PLAYER" before TURN the second time or else what would an Epistolary do?

I thought I pop in here.

Although I do have a German version of the codex which might be not of use for the most of you in a tournament, it is the German wording which clearly states:

"Er kann in jedem Spielerzug maximal eine Psikraft einsetzen, außer er wurde zum Epistolarius aufgerüstet, denn in diesem Fall darf er bis zu zwei Psikräfte pro Spielerzug einsetzen." Blood Angels Codex, p. 46, Psyker special rule.

The words marked in bold mean "player turn", and the complete translation would allow an Epistolary to cast two psychic powers each player turn.

I hope this was helpful for this problem. ;)

Snorri

Unhurt Doom of malantai

Tyranid Prime

4 genestealers..

I was impressed.

Had a similar fight against the Nidzilla the other day (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=198109) Meph didn't come in til turn 4 and proceeded to slay a 5 wound tyrannofex, 5 genestealers, 2 hive guard, an alpha warrior and a completely unwounded hive tyrant. I reckon about 750pts and he only suffered a single wound in return. The only thing mephy has to fear is concentrated plasma and anything that caused instant death regardless of toughness. Other than that he's the stuff of legend!

Iv'e witnessed many debate on that ruling. and always the force weapon dose not count as a psychic power. just like a power weapons effects are automatic, so are the force weapons. You do take a psychic test though. then again i dont go to a bunch of places to play so I only hear the same group try to explain the rule. so if you could back it up with the rule book or something that would be great.

Iv'e witnessed many debate on that ruling. and always the force weapon dose not count as a psychic power. just like a power weapons effects are automatic, so are the force weapons. You do take a psychic test though. then again i dont go to a bunch of places to play so I only hear the same group try to explain the rule. so if you could back it up with the rule book or something that would be great.

In the English Big Rule Book on page 50 it very clearly illustrates that using a force weapon counts as a psychic power and follows the one use-per-turn rule.

Unhurt Doom of malantai

Tyranid Prime

4 genestealers..

I was impressed.

Had a similar fight against the Nidzilla the other day (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=198109) Meph didn't come in til turn 4 and proceeded to slay a 5 wound tyrannofex, 5 genestealers, 2 hive guard, an alpha warrior and a completely unwounded hive tyrant. I reckon about 750pts and he only suffered a single wound in return. The only thing mephy has to fear is concentrated plasma and anything that caused instant death regardless of toughness. Other than that he's the stuff of legend!

Nice work,

considering i thought i dug my own grave after my nifty Stormraven fumbled his TL-plasma cannon and blasted 7 of my own assault marines. Things looked pretty grim until Mephiston showed me the proper faith in the emperor..

I mustn't forget to mention my land speeder covered his own flank (again!) against the genestealers and burned 16 of them on his own.

In the English Big Rule Book on page 50 it very clearly illustrates that using a force weapon counts as a psychic power and follows the one use-per-turn rule.

Yes, per page 50 the Force Weapon is indeed an extra Psychic power and its use counts as "using" a psychic power in the player turn in which it is used. Short of quoting the whole thing it is very clear that it follows the Psychic power rules.

in the spanish version is the same: it follows the psychic power rules

For the discussion on turn/game turn/player turn check page 9 top right paragraph of the main rule book: "Whenever a rule uses the word 'turn', both in this rule book and in the Codexes, it means 'player turn', otherwise it will clearly state 'game turn'."

As for Meph being a beast, yes he is! Played against necrons today, RAS with priest wiped out one squad of warriors, Mephiston single handedly wiped out the other. Phase out in turn 2 =p Vs troops it's his initiative which is the killer, you start running from Meph and he will eat you as a small snack.

For the discussion on turn/game turn/player turn check page 8 top right paragraph of the main rule book: "Whenever a rule uses the word 'turn', both in this rule book and in the Codexes, it means 'player turn', otherwise it will clearly state 'game turn'."

As for Meph being a beast, yes he is! Played against necrons today, RAS with priest wiped out one squad of warriors, Mephiston single handedly wiped out the other. Phase out in turn 2 =p Vs troops it's his initiative which is the killer, you start running from Meph and he will eat you as a small snack.

Bless your little rule-book-readin' heart. Perfect. Sometimes GW does put the answer in the books somewhere. Interestingly I have had at least three questions (debates) this last week where the key to the answer was in the first 9 pages of the BRB – the part all of us read back in the day. I shall put a note in my Codex. Thanks. Also, In the Black Reach Reduced-Size Rulebook it is found on the top of page 9 top right paragraph. I don't have the BRB in my office.

For the discussion on turn/game turn/player turn check page 8 top right paragraph of the main rule book: "Whenever a rule uses the word 'turn', both in this rule book and in the Codexes, it means 'player turn', otherwise it will clearly state 'game turn'."

Bless your little rule-book-readin' heart. Perfect. Sometimes GW does put the answer in the books somewhere. Interestingly I have had at least three questions (debates) this last week where the key to the answer was in the first 9 pages of the BRB – the part all of us read back in the day. I shall put a note in my Codex. Thanks. Also, In the Black Reach Reduced-Size Rulebook it is found on the top of page 9 top right paragraph. I don't have the BRB in my office.

Oops that is my mistake, I meant to type 9 not 8. Have editted my original post! And you're welcome :pinch: It's kind of apt but I remembered that little rule was there from when I first decided to use Mephiston with the PDF codex, loved him then love him even more now... I even try to take him at 1000 points... Also tried at 750, sadly I can't make a 500 point list with him in =[

Just as the Khorne subforum has a "Today Kharne Killed..." thread I move to vote that this thread become a "Today Mephiston Killed..." thread.

Any takers?

Dang you. I had no plans to run Mephiston...but now I am feeling the compulsion. If for no other reason than the silly joy of destruction.

I run Khârn in my World Eaters Army and I absolutely love, "What did Khârn Kill?" He is so much fun to have in your army because he always hits and he always kills sumpthin.

Funny he has a plasma pistol too...which I never shoot. Seriously I have fired that thing about 6 times in the last year and a half and I have wounded Khârn twice with Gets Hot. Khârn likes blood for the blood god not roasted meat for the fail god.

Today in a 2k game against CSM, Meph ate: 6 Khorn Berserkers, 2 Oblits, 5 Chaos Marines, 3 more Chaos Marines, and lastly 6 more Chaos Marines. He was killed by the last squad's power fist before he could sweeping advance them, so sad. Not bad for 7 turns!

What did your Mephiston eat today?

played in a local tournament today @ 2250 pts. mephiston ate a command squad two hell hounds two leman russ demolisher and a ten man veteran squads in my first game . second game space marine captain on bike librarian on bike two 6 man bike squads . my third game he got defiler two eight man bezerker squads and gave 3 wounds to a greater daemon.

Just got home from playing a game. Two of us were trying out our 2500pt list for 'Ard Boys. Today Mephiston ate 2 Land Raiders and 9 Tactical Marines in close combat. He killed another marine with his Plasma Pistol and 4 Marines died in the Land Raider he killed as well.

Now however in the same game my Furioso with Blood Talons killed 3 Shooty Terminators, 2 Lightning Claw Terminators and 4 Thunder Hammer Terminators. So total he racked up 9 Termintors killed in close combat.

It was a 2500pt Kill point game he was playing a 5 Land Raider Space Marine list. At the end of turn 5 (when the game ended) he had one Land Raider and his Chaplain left (Who was in combat with the Furioso).

I lost 1 Pod, 1 Furioso and 1 S. Priest.

Archived