Dornian Heresy - Codex In Progress

So, Leeba brought up an interesting idea, and that would be to make a Codex based on the Dornian Heresy. I decided to start this topic just to keep things organized and hopefully it will be used. I personally would make the movement that Aurelius Rex (since he is the creator of the Dornian Heresy) and Leeba (since she proposed the idea for a codex) be the "Project Managers" so to speak. Now, we are gonna be working on one Legion at a time now (see several posts down). So please take a look at the below list to see what we're working on currently.; make sure you have the e-zine people!

The Dornian Heresy Volume 1:

III Legion - Emperor's Children: On Hold.

V Legion - White Scars: On Hold.

VI Legion - Space Wolves: On Hold.

IX Legion - Blood Angels: On Hold.

XII Legion - World Eaters: In Progress, World Eater 'counts-as' rules thread in the Rules section.

XIII Legion - Ultramarines: On Hold.

XV Legion - Thousand Sons: On Hold.

XVII Legion - Word Bearers: On Hold.

XIX Legion - Raven Guard: On Hold.

The Dornian Heresy Volume 2:

I Legion - Dark Angels: On Hold.

IV Legion - Iron Warriors: On Hold.

VII Legion - Black Legion: On Hold.

VIII Legion - Night Lords: On Hold.

X Legion - Iron Hands: On Hold.

XIV Legion - Death Guard: On Hold.

XVI Legion - Black Templars: On Hold.

XVIII Legion - Salamanders: On Hold.

XX Legion - Alpha Legion: On Hold.

I'll gladly do what I can to help this along. I'm up for making artwork and fluff for the codex (examples of art in my outdated Ashwings chapter below).

I'll gladly do what I can to help this along. I'm up for making artwork and fluff for the codex (examples of art in my outdated Ashwings chapter below).

Any specific chapter you'd like to give your attentions to besides the large-scale view you'll have?

With Mecharius starting the World Eaters, I'll put focus on the Raven Guard myself first.

Added, and mecharius is me; I'm just to lazy to write my full board name. Also, as I said, more then one person per legion isn't a bad thing, get's more creativeity into the project, more views, and it hopefully get's them done faster.

I'd like to help out, but not specifically for a single Legion. I'll probably be hopping around this entire project as a discussant/idiot savant sort of speak. I'd love coming up with some characters or info on gear too!

That would definetly be cool, we definetly need someone working on the wargeer aspect side of things; and do feel free to hop around to; interact with each group and try to gage what they need in their entries.

Some ideas I'd like to see developed further:

-First War for Armageddon: Instead of the World Eaters attacking it, we have Space Wolf and Khornate Warlord Logan Grimnar invade the world of Armageddon. Irony has it that it is the World Eaters who end up defending it against the Traitors. The battle intensifies when the Grey Knights/Thousand Sons arrive to battle the Traitors. I'm not sure if Lorgar Grimnar should just be a marine or a daemon prince...

-White Scars and the Dark Eldar: For some reason I'm finding these two to be very similar, both are pleasure seekers to the extreme, the main difference being that the Dark Eldar don't worship Slaanesh. Maybe the White Scars are seeking out technology/treasures/etc from the Dark Eldar. They do this by trying to break into the Webway, but also by attacking the Dark Eldar...lets see if the fastest fellows in the galaxy and be outspeeded by some filthy mon keigh! (which reminds me, the White Scars and their big mustaches combined with Slaanesh pleasure for some reason makes me think of 70s homo erotica, you know...those guys with the giant mustaches! Village People!)

-Lamenters: Personally I think they should be an offshoot from the Blood Angels who have managed to overcome their Curse. They have escaped from the rest of their Legion who are desperately seeking for them for a cure.

-Mephiston being a Blood Angels Sorcerer who has managed to overcome his Curse due to a psychic gift. However, this has come with a price though, perhaps he needs to devour souls or something to prevent the Curse from taking over. Kind of similar to how the Dark Eldar devour souls of others in order to stay alive. This might be reflected in the rules that Mephiston has a psychic power which enables him to absorb wounds from his foes (akin to that Dark Eldar character who is named after the villain from 101 Dalmatians), perhaps he would get desperate when he's at his last wound which will make him try to devour the soul of any model (friend or foe) nearby him.

-Sigismund's Chosen: Very much a tongue in the cheek parody of Abaddon's Chosen. The four are Helbrecht (Slaanesh?), Ludoldus (Tzeentchian), Sigenandus (Khornate) and Grimaldus (Nurgle?).

I was wondering if I could make some fluff to go with the Legions? Also any rules that don't get assigned, I'd be willing to take :devil:

Most of the fluff is done, thanks to Aurelius. Though side stories would be nice to have in the dex, especially fluff on units and the special characters.

Some ideas I'd like to see developed further:

-First War for Armageddon: Instead of the World Eaters attacking it, we have Space Wolf and Khornate Warlord Logan Grimnar invade the world of Armageddon. Irony has it that it is the World Eaters who end up defending it against the Traitors. The battle intensifies when the Grey Knights/Thousand Sons arrive to battle the Traitors. I'm not sure if Lorgar Grimnar should just be a marine or a daemon prince...

-White Scars and the Dark Eldar: For some reason I'm finding these two to be very similar, both are pleasure seekers to the extreme, the main difference being that the Dark Eldar don't worship Slaanesh. Maybe the White Scars are seeking out technology/treasures/etc from the Dark Eldar. They do this by trying to break into the Webway, but also by attacking the Dark Eldar...lets see if the fastest fellows in the galaxy and be outspeeded by some filthy mon keigh! (which reminds me, the White Scars and their big mustaches combined with Slaanesh pleasure for some reason makes me think of 70s homo erotica, you know...those guys with the giant mustaches! Village People!)

-Lamenters: Personally I think they should be an offshoot from the Blood Angels who have managed to overcome their Curse. They have escaped from the rest of their Legion who are desperately seeking for them for a cure.

-Mephiston being a Blood Angels Sorcerer who has managed to overcome his Curse due to a psychic gift. However, this has come with a price though, perhaps he needs to devour souls or something to prevent the Curse from taking over. Kind of similar to how the Dark Eldar devour souls of others in order to stay alive. This might be reflected in the rules that Mephiston has a psychic power which enables him to absorb wounds from his foes (akin to that Dark Eldar character who is named after the villain from 101 Dalmatians), perhaps he would get desperate when he's at his last wound which will make him try to devour the soul of any model (friend or foe) nearby him.

-Sigismund's Chosen: Very much a tongue in the cheek parody of Abaddon's Chosen. The four are Helbrecht (Slaanesh?), Ludoldus (Tzeentchian), Sigenandus (Khornate) and Grimaldus (Nurgle?).

She does have a good point; conflict fluff would be great, and some of the more individual legion fluff for codex entries.

Great idea there, but as it seems Magnus is keeping the Grey Knights even more hush hush than their regular counterparts (owing to their different origins), the Word Bearers may be a better choice to assist the Thousand Sons and World Eaters at this. Grimnar as a Daemon Prince would probably work out better to draw parallels to the original 1st Armageddon War and give the battle an objective- banish Logan and his retinue of Bloodthirsters.

The White Scars keeping their mainstream counterpart's opposition of the Dark Eldar would be a nice touch. Thinking on it, Xeno races seem much less safe in this reality than normal, with the Death Guard shown to be after the destruction of at least one craftworld, the Raven Guard having something going on with craftworld Ulthwé, and the Tau harassing the Ultramarines (and promptly getting beaten back like the upstarts they are).

I think Aurelius implied somewhere the Lamenters of this continuity were the Ultramarine chapter that tried to set up shop in former Baal Secundus.

I give this idea like three stamps of awesome-approval... awesoproval. Aweproval? There we go.

I'm not going to have much time for anything apart from writing up the next batch of Alternate IA's, but I would be interested to see ways to get a consensus on rules for the various Alternate Heresy armies.

My preference would be to where at all possible keep the rules game-legal, with discussions about what current codex best fits each of the legions, with notes on what kind of things would be appropriate to stock up on or voluntarily to restrict to keep within the character of the DH army... and keeping the production of house rules (or Apocalypse armies where all bets are off on unit restrictions) for an alternate version where things really don't fit into any legal framework.

For instance...

What would be the best codex to use for DH World Eaters?

They use Devastators, are strictly under control of themselves, perhaps fearing what might come out if they ever let loose, but still favour close combat. Would Codex: Space Marines work best, with it being flavourful to take lots of assault / vanguard squads with or without the jump packs? Would C:SW be a better fit? C:BT or or C:BA seem too uncontrolled, and they have access to kit not seen in C:CSM...

What would be the best codex to use for DH Emperor's Children?

Pre-Heresy all the way! They have lots of access to old raptor packs - don't necessarily have to show this as an in-game advantage, but Vanguards with JP? No Razorbacks (Tilvius APC) vindicators, Chaplains, LR variants other than the bog-standard version... Could jetbikes be presented in these rules as land speeders, squadrons of bikes / attack bikes or the like? Would C:SM, C:DA (Ravenwing style, led by a guy in a real jetbike for the Hawk Lords GC) or C:BA work best here?

Ect...

Some legions I think will not fit in easily to a current codex - I didn't write it with that in mind - and we may have to resort to house rules... but I would see that as a last resort, and a defeat to our creativity. :)

If we can come up with a consensus for the kind of rules to run for the DH legions, or even just ideas for the reader along these lines, I think it would be a lovely addition to slot into the second half of the Dornian Heresy / Legio Imprint as a hobby article :D If anyone gets some DH miniatures modelled up and nicely photographed, that is all the better. ;)

Rather than going off on lots of different directions, I propose we go through the legions systematically in the order that they were in the Legio Imprint and get a consensus on legal (and characterful) representations of the legions before possibly coming back to house rules.

If everyone is in agreement, could I start the ball rolling with discussing the World Eaters... possibly one of the easier ones to represent?

PS: Oh, and I have an idea for Dornian Heresy Space Hulk if anyone is interested... completely using the standard rules, but turning things on their heads, with the BA as the bad guys... more later, but for a preview look at the World Eater colourpiece in Alt IA: Blood Angels and see if you can guess what I mean. :devil:

I'd like to see more house rules, but actual good ones. I think we could pull it off, we've got a whole lot of people who are very interested in helping out!

If we start one Legion at the time, sure thing! Ok, World Eaters! Maybe somebody open a thread about them (perhaps in the rules section rather than the Horus Heresy section?).

Personally I would rather see what can be done by using legal codex rules first before we go crazy with house rules... but then I am a massive fan of 'counts-as'. Once that is done, it will show up the shortcomings of what can't be represented with the codex and would be better done using house rules. With that basic skeleton it may well be a better starting point for creating house rules later.

When I get back to the computer this evening I will start a thread in the rules section.

Counts as would work fine, especially with the World Eaters. There's nothing for them at least that can't be found in the regular Codex: Space Marines in some form or another. Even the Chain Axes can simply be considered Chain Swords.

For later note: barring anything really unexpected from Aurelius (admittedly very possible), the Night Lords would probably work fine using counts as too when their IA is done. Shrike could easily work as a named captain from the Haunter's Legion.

Like I said in the last thread I'm extremly interested in developing the thousand sons I already have Ideas

• All sergeants can be upgraded to psykers with limited powers.

Libarians instead of captains.

All psykers must choose which cult they belong to.

Each cult has it's own psychic powers.

Apothecaries and techmarines would be skilled psykers in the pavoni and pyrea cults respectively.

Probably some legion specific vehicles e.g landraiders.

Large squads of about 20.

Don't quite know how to incorporate them being soul bound.

That's about all of my ideas so far but I'm sure the rest of you have some ideas. So if anyone wants to help develope these ideas feel free. But I'm definitly interested in helping this codex along especially the Thousan Sons part :P!

T'kar

Id rather see a count-as approach as well myself, easier to play with vs house rules that may or may not be accepted.

As far as world eaters go, I think they need something more then being C:SM. They should be better then the standard marine army in CC. That said, I dont think Furious Charge is the way to go so BA's are out, leaving Space Wolves as the starting point.

Like I said in the last thread I'm extremly interested in developing the thousand sons I already have Ideas

• All sergeants can be upgraded to psykers with limited powers.

Libarians instead of captains.

All psykers must choose which cult they belong to.

Each cult has it's own psychic powers.

Apothecaries and techmarines would be skilled psykers in the pavoni and pyrea cults respectively.

Probably some legion specific vehicles e.g landraiders.

Large squads of about 20.

Don't quite know how to incorporate them being soul bound.

That's about all of my ideas so far but I'm sure the rest of you have some ideas. So if anyone wants to help develope these ideas feel free. But I'm definitly interested in helping this codex along especially the Thousan Sons part :P!

T'kar

Couldn't Grey Knight rules work for them as a basis?

I think that all* of the above fits like a glove with the C:CSM

*Note:

-Cults: Really don't fit 100% but it's easy to force it. Using C:CSM each mark can be a "count as" cult spec. More or less.

-Apoths and techmarines, is not actually needed that they can be psykers sorcerers. To fit techmarines it's easy too with a little modelling effort. Terminator legs and arms, upper torso standard marine armour, techmarine helmet and servo harness. They count as obliterators. For apothecary-guys is more difficult, just comes to my mind the Master Apothecarion (whatever) count as Fabius Bile.

EDIT:

Id rather see a count-as approach as well myself, easier to play with vs house rules that may or may not be accepted.

As far as world eaters go, I think they need something more then being C:SM.

Black Templar codex is all about fanatic zealots :)

Started the World Eater 'counts-as' rules thread in the Rules section. :P

Feel free to drop in and chip in with ideas for Angron's boys - hopefully we will be able to come up with something that fits closely enough, and can act as a template for future Alt-legions. :)

It has got me thinking about the other legions too... and I thought that Thousand Sons would be a nice fit for the Thousand Sons... psychically talented, able to use their powers to augment their battlefield abilities, shrouding them from the view of their enemies, led by psychic sergeants (justicars) with force weaponry... small squads... it wouldn't cover the techmarines and apothecaries, but could be a good starting point, no? :)

Archived