GW's New Blood Angels FAQ

Espada Azul

Chewie.. your reasoning is very odd there and I feel it's all over the place. And what is this 6 inch bubble you talk about, is it anywhere in the actual written rules?

Also, this ruling goes in the same light as all other similar rulings where a model gives an area or bubble around him with a special rule. Measure at the moment the special rule actually changes the normal course of action. So when starting the attack phase of assault, or when getting wounds for FNP, etc..

I like this consistency.

Sorry if this is a newbie question but

If Mephiston is considered to be a "single model unit" does that mean and independent character, such as a Chaplain can join him as a "personal bodyguard" type of thing?

...and I'm not saying anything negative against you JamesI btw :D

I understand. I'm pointing out something technically legal, not something I use in gameplay.

:) can i say the truth? I can't see the logic in most of these FAQs...

libby dreads with no access to the options...

Corbulo allows me to reroll the dice to size the initiative, but not those for the the first turn and the deployment zone.. it has no sense! :)

And especially.... why oh why can a BAAL pop smoke on the scout move, allowing a BA player to shot on the first turn and then get a cover?! :D

BAH..... :cuss

Shinigami - agreed 100% This FAQ has very little "logic" and fluff based decisions, but on the flip side of that, almost everything has been answered and its been done in a very clinical RAW way.

@Morticon:

C:BA page 48: listing for blood Chalice is all friendly units within 6" recieve the FC and FNP speacial rule.

On here an other places I have seen the argument pop up that now it is only models within 6in that get this and not the unit.

My point was that in the FAQ (since it is a FAQ and not an ERRATA) does not change the wording aspect of unit vs model but on when the FC and FNP measurement should be taken. That was my reference to bubble.

Hope that clears it up

:huh: can i say the truth? I can't see the logic in most of these FAQs...

Corbulo allows me to reroll the dice to size the initiative, but not those for the the first turn and the deployment zone.. it has no sense! :huh:

And especially.... why oh why can a BAAL pop smoke on the scout move, allowing a BA player to shot on the first turn and then get a cover?! :tu:

BAH..... :huh:

The Libby gear one is a little weird certainly but the others are rather common sense, imo.

Smoke Launchers by the rule simply say "after completing its move"... which can clearly be applied in a variety of scenarios, including Scout move... fluff wise I can't see any reason why a tank would be able to (scout) move and NOT use them. This ruling makes sense to me.

Corbulo's reroll per the rule says "per game"; and the game has yet to begin at the point of deployment and picking sides. So this ruling also makes sense to me.

:huh: can i say the truth? I can't see the logic in most of these FAQs...

Corbulo allows me to reroll the dice to size the initiative, but not those for the the first turn and the deployment zone.. it has no sense! :huh:

And especially.... why oh why can a BAAL pop smoke on the scout move, allowing a BA player to shot on the first turn and then get a cover?! :mellow:

BAH..... :huh:

The Libby gear one is a little weird certainly but the others are rather common sense, imo.

Smoke Launchers by the rule simply say "after completing its move"... which can clearly be applied in a variety of scenarios, including Scout move... fluff wise I can't see any reason why a tank would be able to (scout) move and NOT use them. This ruling makes sense to me.

Corbulo's reroll per the rule says "per game"; and the game has yet to begin at the point of deployment and picking sides. So this ruling also makes sense to me.

So you say Smoke launchers (which are used 'per game') that can be used before the first turn makes sense, but Corbulo (who can be used 'per game') can't be used, and that also makes sense? Interesting :P

Parts of the FAQs are really weird, but that's GW I guess. I'm picking given it's a FAQ (which is the 'studios thoughts on how stuff might work') and not errata (which is 'replaces the rules in rulebook and becomes the new RAW') a lot of people will be ignoring the stuff like the Tyranid Shadow of the Warp, maybe even the Baal smoke thing if a lot of people start getting annoyed by smoke, then shoot, then get cover.

So you say Smoke launchers (which are used 'per game') that can be used before the first turn makes sense, but Corbulo (who can be used 'per game') can't be used, and that also makes sense? Interesting :huh:

Heh well yeah I suppose it is a little gray in that regards. Though clearly "Deploy Forces" comes before "Start the game!". ...I guess the 'Scout move' does fall somewhat ambiguously between both however. I always considered it to be part of 'the game' as it comes after deployment and it behaves just like a normal game phase, but now that you mention it I can see where confusion might come - thankfully we have a FAQ. :mellow:

Fluff wise or even just common sense wise, it seems ridiculous to me that a tank could move and NOT use them however.

As for Corbulo, first turn and deployment clearly come before the start of the game however (page 86).

Someone please explain/clarify (sorry no BRB or C:BA on-hand) when does smoke end? Once we shoot or once we move again or does it last the entire game turn? That's going to be argued as OP if we can scout move 18", pop smoke and still get a save even after moving and/or shooting? WOWSERS!!! Furthermore, if we can shoot out of smoke, is it then obscured, giving the target a cover save?

Pretty sure that you use smoke instead of shooting for that unit on your turn.

He is referring to popping smoke during his scout move and then if he has the first turn, moving and shooting as normal while still having a cover save. I agree that the smoke being popped should override any ability to shoot during the next turn but is not supported by RAW. I will say that if a BA player wants to do that, I will claim a obscured cover save due to the smoke.

Pretty sure that you use smoke instead of shooting for that unit on your turn.

He is referring to popping smoke during his scout move and then if he has the first turn, moving and shooting as normal while still having a cover save. I agree that the smoke being popped should override any ability to shoot during the next turn but is not supported by RAW. I will say that if a BA player wants to do that, I will claim a obscured cover save due to the smoke.

Can someone help me with this please?

Scenario: Baal -> scout moves 18" -> pops smoke (obscured) -> BA 1st turn -> Baal moves 6" -> Fires

The Baal is still obscured during the opponents 1st turn even though it moved and fired after popping smoke?

Technically, yes. Smoke states that you gain the save in your opponents next shooting phase. Unlike older editions where it wore off at the beginning of your next turn.

It looks like you can actually do that if you follow the rules to the letter... but that is what is known as being a jerk and exploiting the rules. :lol:

If your opponent goes first it all works out fine.

Fluff wise, it makes sense to me that if you can move (during scout move) than you can launch smoke, but also if you move again (during 1st turn) you would leave your smoke bubble and no longer be obscured.

It looks like you can actually do that if you follow the rules to the letter... but that is what is known as being a jerk and exploiting the rules. :lol:

If your opponent goes first it all works out fine.

Fluff wise, it makes sense to me that if you can move (during scout move) than you can launch smoke, but also if you move again (during 1st turn) you would leave your smoke bubble and no longer be obscured.

I am actually fine with the popping smoke after a scout move, it just seems logical to be able to do this. So does your example with the smoke bubble.

So this is more of a discression/rulz lawyer issue it seems, if an opponent tries the scenario I listed.

quick issue I noticed with the smoke launchers.

now that you can use them during the scout move, what happens if you get first turn?

Raw states that the smoke doesn't dissipate till the end of the opponents next shooting phase, but it only stops the vehicle from firing during the same turn the smoke was launched.

so since the smoke was launched prior to first turn, does that mean I can fire my weapons while still keeping the cover save?

RAW, it is legal to scout, smoke, move, shoot, claim cover on opponents turn.

I don't think that is the intention and expect GW will fix it when people start complaining about the practice.

quick issue I noticed with the smoke launchers.

now that you can use them during the scout move, what happens if you get first turn?

Raw states that the smoke doesn't dissipate till the end of the opponents next shooting phase, but it only stops the vehicle from firing during the same turn the smoke was launched.

so since the smoke was launched prior to first turn, does that mean I can fire my weapons while still keeping the cover save?

If you read the posts above yours you would have the same question asked and people responding to it.

short answer, RAW yes, Expect to play against people again, no

Archived