GW's New Blood Angels FAQ

Espada Azul

Overall nice faq, seems like BA were issued with bigger smoke charges than the rest of the Astartes.

Oh, and my Sanguine Sword is still eternal. Cast it once and it doesn't wear off.

For everyone (especially over on Jawaballs Blog) claiming FAQs aren't canon, has anyone else noticed that this and the 'Nids releases aren't titled Errata/FAQ but Official Update instead? It seems GW has decided to lay the smack down in a serious way and pick on us rather than leaving any question as to whether we can ignore these documents. As a Dark Angels player as well, I am getting awfully tired of GW pimp slaping me with these "Updates." (read: the most important rule! bastards)

Nuntius - dont sweat it - those official updates are listed under a set of files that are described as official house rules. So no problems if you dont want to play with them.

However, that argument you were talking about (on Jawas blog etc) is just so petulant IF players are using it to further their arguments against using the army a particular way.

Players fall back on the "oh but its just house rules anyway" to further their (unfair?) interpretation of rules. That in itself is not a bad thing if players and their own little group want to subscribe to that.

However, the SECOND a person from that little group tries to enforce those ideas on anyone else wanting a standardised, fair and "official" source of ruling is when they can have a large cup of shut the hell up.

The problem seems to extend from those players wanting everyone else to follow suit, or as mentioned before using the fact these arent official to argue idiotic perceived irregularities (ala still not being able to use the 5+ save for vehicles with SoS etc).

But, as said, if its for you and your crew and you guys are down with changing it for yourselves then theres no prob at all.

Personally the Priest thing doesn't effect how I play them. It was the Corbs thing that broke my heart. Can't understand why they nerfed that one. :(

Honestly, I think it was just them sticking to cold, hard RAW.

All their decisions were very strongly based in the wording of the rules with little (no?) consideration for (what appeared to be) the intent.

Take the dreadnought libbies as a prime example.

Also, DC Tycho. Who on earth is gonna field that model? Why? Why would you field a model that can be instant killed with one missile launcher/lascannon, cant be transported well and only has fleet as its means to get around? Its dumb dumb dumb. But, it is in strict reading of the rules - and at least it is a ruling.

So, although its a nerf, I dont think it was intentionally ruled with a nerf in mind.

Overall a good FAQ, but I still have a few questions.

2. Do Corbulo and Seth benefit from the +1 strength bonus of furious charge? Players in my area insist that he does, but I am unsure. The codex says they always strike at strength 5 and 8 respectively, but the players in my area say this just means it is the base, unmodified strength of their attack, which is then modified by FC, just like any other stat which is subsequently modified by special rules (just like how their init is modified by FC).

They should, however, still benefit from the +1 Initiative

Personally the Priest thing doesn't effect how I play them. It was the Corbs thing that broke my heart. Can't understand why they nerfed that one. :(

So, although its a nerf, I dont think it was intentionally ruled with a nerf in mind.

I think the Corbulo thing is definitely a nerf. Unless the game isn't a game until the dice are rolled. Effectively they changed the wording from any roll in the game to any roll except and that is a nerf, IMHO.

Nuntius - dont sweat it - those official updates are listed under a set of files that are described as official house rules. So no problems if you dont want to play with them.

However, that argument you were talking about (on Jawas blog etc) is just so petulant IF players are using it to further their arguments against using the army a particular way.

Players fall back on the "oh but its just house rules anyway" to further their (unfair?) interpretation of rules. That in itself is not a bad thing if players and their own little group want to subscribe to that.

However, the SECOND a person from that little group tries to enforce those ideas on anyone else wanting a standardised, fair and "official" source of ruling is when they can have a large cup of shut the hell up.

The problem seems to extend from those players wanting everyone else to follow suit, or as mentioned before using the fact these arent official to argue idiotic perceived irregularities (ala still not being able to use the 5+ save for vehicles with SoS etc).

But, as said, if its for you and your crew and you guys are down with changing it for yourselves then theres no prob at all.

Actually the discussion over there was more how to interpret the FAQ vs. Errata than saying it wasn't legal or needed use (I am "Alex" on the comments). If you haven't read Jawaballs post, he seems to believe that people will be able to interpret the part of the FAQ for when to measure Furious Charge as only applying to "models" and not units. Thus meaning that only models in range get FC. My point about Errata vs. FAQ is that Errata actually changes the printed rules while an FAQ clarifies it. The question about FC is under the FAQ portion, thus not changing the printed rule (units get the bonus), but simply explaining how and when to measure.

so the priest only gives furious charge to the models in his bubble , not the whole unit ?

No, the unit gets the bonus as stated in the rule. The problem is that Jawaballs went a little over the top in his interpretation of a question in the FAQ about when to measure because the FAQ only uses the word models (not units). Maybe others will as well, but it's pretty clear that the unit gets the bonus.

NO! the codex clearly states UNIT. the faq has a typo in it and as its not errata nothing more should be concluded from it.

Actually it makes perfect sense- it affects the unit, but you measure to models.

IE- if you can measure the distance to any one model in the unit then the unit gets the bonus.

Personally the Priest thing doesn't effect how I play them. It was the Corbs thing that broke my heart. Can't understand why they nerfed that one. -_-

I think the Corbulo thing is definitely a nerf. Unless the game isn't a game until the dice are rolled. Effectively they changed the wording from any roll in the game to any roll except and that is a nerf, IMHO.

Well here is what the RAW says:

ORGANISING A BATTLE

1 Agree points limit & choose forces

2 Prepare the Battlefield

3 Select a Mission

4 Deploy Forces

5 Start the game!

So the game doesn't actually begin until forces have been deployed. Scout moves also happen after forces have been deployed, but before the first player turn... I would say that the scout move must still be part of 'the game' however going strictly by the list.

Anyhow following the above logic - it makes sense that Corbulo cannot use his powers to pick sides or deployment because the game has not begun.

so the priest only gives furious charge to the models in his bubble , not the whole unit ?

No, the unit gets the bonus as stated in the rule. The problem is that Jawaballs went a little over the top in his interpretation of a question in the FAQ about when to measure because the FAQ only uses the word models (not units). Maybe others will as well, but it's pretty clear that the unit gets the bonus.

It may be in the FAQ part , but the whole thing is an erata , it says at the bottom of the file really clear. anyways at the store i attend i have to measure to the model , the even organiser already rule per model basis acording to the erata . i took it as measuring to the model , if one model from the unit is in range then the whole unit is, but i will just play per model till it is cleared up.

also really disapointed , always wanted to field tycho.... i may just do it for giggles.

It may be in the FAQ part , but the whole thing is an erata , it says at the bottom of the file really clear.

The whole thing is not an errata; the errata section only consists of the first page, left hand side (immediately following the header errata). In the errata portion the document tells you exactly what page in the codex where actual language/wording changes will be made in future prints of the hardcopy codex. The rest of the document consists of the FAQ portion, and follows the heading FAQ, and consists of Questions, followed by Answers. This format is clearly not errata, as the errata section is never done in a Q & A format - it can't be, it wouldn't make sense to be. Don't worry about what the document "footer" says; it is irrelevant and doesn't describe the contents of the document or its two subsections at all. If you want to go by something as rediculous as the footer, then you might as well just go by the actual file name, which is something like FAQ_BloodAngels_2010.pdf which would then lead us to the similarly rediculous conclusion that the whole thing is FAQ and there is no errata section.

V

As the original poster of the Corbulo Far-Seeing Eye question, I am satisfied. I really didn't care how powerfull GW wanted it to be, I just wanted clarification. It is still plenty powerfull, without being over the top.

Thanks to all those who sent letters to GW, and thanks to GW for a proper response!

Warprat ;)

It may be in the FAQ part , but the whole thing is an erata , it says at the bottom of the file really clear. anyways at the store i attend i have to measure to the model , the even organiser already rule per model basis acording to the erata . i took it as measuring to the model , if one model from the unit is in range then the whole unit is, but i will just play per model till it is cleared up.

You measure to the model, but the entire unit gets the bonus. It's "official" but not errata as V cleared up.

Personally the Priest thing doesn't effect how I play them. It was the Corbs thing that broke my heart. Can't understand why they nerfed that one. :lol:

Honestly, I think it was just them sticking to cold, hard RAW.

Being that the example given in the C:BA gives the example of re-rolling to steal the initiative, I never assumed it could've been used sooner than that because the game hadn't started yet. But I can understand the contradiction (read: inconsistency) of popping smoke after our Scout move before the actual game begins!?!

Also, DC Tycho. Who on earth is gonna field that model? Why? Why would you field a model that can be instant killed with one missile launcher/lascannon, cant be transported well and only has fleet as its means to get around? Its dumb dumb dumb. But, it is in strict reading of the rules - and at least it is a ruling.

By the Blood of Sanguinius, I will find a way to make him effective!!! I foresee him pulling rank and stealing somebody's ride, preferably one of my LRs so he can assault immediately or if I use a Rhino, it could drop him and get back to the jacked squad faster. The challenge will be giving him proper support in the form of Astorath, Lemartes and 20 DC and not leaving him alone too long.

NO! the codex clearly states UNIT. the faq has a typo in it and as its not errata nothing more should be concluded from it.

Actually it makes perfect sense- it affects the unit, but you measure to models.

IE- if you can measure the distance to any one model in the unit then the unit gets the bonus.

PERFECT EXPLANATION! Nothing further to discuss.

Personally the Priest thing doesn't effect how I play them. It was the Corbs thing that broke my heart. Can't understand why they nerfed that one. ;)

Well here is what the RAW says:

ORGANISING A BATTLE

1 Agree points limit & choose forces

2 Prepare the Battlefield

3 Select a Mission

4 Deploy Forces

5 Start the game!

So the game doesn't actually begin until forces have been deployed. Scout moves also happen after forces have been deployed, but before the first player turn... I would say that the scout move must still be part of 'the game' however going strictly by the list.

Anyhow following the above logic - it makes sense that Corbulo cannot use his powers to pick sides or deployment because the game has not begun.

AGREE 100%. Nothing more to discuss. Until now people have been doing it wrong. Adjust and stop being a nerf victim.

also really disapointed , always wanted to field tycho.... i may just do it for giggles.

DC Tycho is still a beast if you disobey his wish to die alone and send help along. See my reply to Mort. ;)

i have a question on the priest buubble thing. if the unit in question has a character attached and the character is out of the bubble but some of the squad is in does the character get it or is it just the unit?

You measure to the model, but the entire unit gets the bonus. It's "official" but not errata as V cleared up.

ccorrect me if i am wrong but isnt there something that states that you measure "...affects unit" bits by if any model is in range?

Archived