GW's New Blood Angels FAQ

Espada Azul

up a few posts blade, thats exactly what jamesI is talking about. Personally the biggest change in these faqs Isnt in our own. The tyranid FAQ "clarifies" that psychic defences do not work against psychers in transports.

up a few posts blade, thats exactly what jamesI is talking about. Personally the biggest change in these faqs Isnt in our own. The tyranid FAQ "clarifies" that psychic defences do not work against psychers in transports.

only if you feel like reading more into it then it says... if you read the question and and answer it states SPECIFICALLY the Doom's leach ability. but this isnt' the place to discuss that, there is another thread somewhere whining about everyhting in the nid faq

It looks like you can actually do that if you follow the rules to the letter... but that is what is known as being a jerk and exploiting the rules. :confused:

If your opponent goes first it all works out fine.

Fluff wise, it makes sense to me that if you can move (during scout move) than you can launch smoke, but also if you move again (during 1st turn) you would leave your smoke bubble and no longer be obscured.

Concur completely. Popping Smoke during a Scout move to protect you from enemy fire during his first turn is fine, fair, and makes sense. However, if you have the first turn, and chose to Move and/or Shoot, then I say the right and fair thing to do is to agree that you are no longer under the protection of your Smoke cloud.

V

only if you feel like reading more into it then it says... if you read the question and and answer it states SPECIFICALLY the Doom's leach ability. but this isnt' the place to discuss that, there is another thread somewhere whining about everyhting in the nid faq

actually I was refering to the ruling regarding Shadow in the warp, which is the Tyranids psychic defence and doesnt work on psychers in transports, therefore our Librarian hoods wont work on transports either.

Well from what I am reading, the FAQ states that Shadows of the Warp doesn't effect psykers in making a test while embaked within a transport vehicle, but it states nothing about Psychic hoods, Eldar Stones etc.

Now I understand where you are coming from, and I actually don't agree with that part of the FAQ, I figure that they either plan to update either the BRB FAQ or all the FAQs to clarify the rule.

But then, this on the B+C Bloodangel forum so the 'nid stuff would be discussed elsewhere

actually I was refering to the ruling regarding Shadow in the warp, which is the Tyranids psychic defence and doesnt work on psychers in transports, therefore our Librarian hoods wont work on transports either.

Tis what i ment, it doens't state (as it's been said) anythign but the nid power. in the nid FAQ. i don't know about you, but i don't tend to carry around every faq GW puts out to play my angels, i have the BA dex, the main rules, the faq for the rules, and the faq for the BA... so as written, it's for the nid powers, it doens't say "phychic defences dont' work in tanks" or anythign close to it.. it says "does shadows of the warp effect psychers wilst embarked within a transport vehicle" i dont' see anywhere that it says hoods, or runes... it's not rocket science

Thats an incorrect and fallacious argument DA.

We follow the rules as written until GW put out a FAQ that say otherwise.

The rules as they are written say that when measuring ranges that involve embarked units, you measure from the hull of the vehicle.

thats correct until GW decide to change it!

Hey guys my nid mate was just having a moan to me about Shadows of the warp now not effecting psykers in a transport vehicle. I got to wondering how this would effect our Libby dreadnaughts they are technically in a vehicle. Not sure im mean enough to bring this up with him though :verymad: what do you think

Over on BoLSLounge one of the posts pointed out a little something they missed for the FAQ. Sanguine Sword has no listed duration so it seems that once it's up it stays up. It simply says that it is activated at the start of either player's assault phase. No mention what so ever of how long it lasts, unlike ever other non-shooting power. :P

Overall a good FAQ, but I still have a few questions.

1. Is Tycho's Deadman's Hand a power weapon, meaning he can get the off-hand weapon attack bonus when used alonside his pistol, or is it just wargear? ie. does he get 3 attacks or 4 attacks in a standard round of close combat? I have read a lot of people arguing that it is just wargear, but in White Dwarf issue #365, page 53, Matt Ward, the author of the Blood Angels Codex, refers to it as follows when listing the weapons and abilities Tycho possesses: "...and the Dead Man's Hand (a power weapon with built in digital weapons."

2. Do Corbulo and Seth benefit from the +1 strength bonus of furious charge? Players in my area insist that he does, but I am unsure. The codex says they always strike at strength 5 and 8 respectively, but the players in my area say this just means it is the base, unmodified strength of their attack, which is then modified by FC, just like any other stat which is subsequently modified by special rules (just like how their init is modified by FC).

And call it a home rule interpretation or mere opinion if you wish, but it seems clear to me that if a Baal Pred pops smoke during its scout move, and you get the first turn, then it remains obscured but you cannot fire in your first turn. It would never occur to me to think otherwise, and I would never pop smoke and then proceed to shoot while still retaining the obscured status, or allow my opponent to do it either, even in competitive tournament play. You can't have your cake and eat it, too - shoot or stay hidden. Just my two cents on the matter.

Overall a good FAQ, but I still have a few questions.

1. Is Tycho's Deadman's Hand a power weapon, meaning he can get the off-hand weapon attack bonus when used alonside his pistol, or is it just wargear? ie. does he get 3 attacks or 4 attacks in a standard round of close combat?

He only gets 3 attacks. It is not a CCW therefore does not grant the +1. That was the purpose of the clarification in the FAQ.

2: Corbs, Seth and Astorath all strike at their relative weapon strengths- since the weapon listing says: "strikes at strength X" - irrespective of the users strength, and FC increases the user's strength NOT the weapon strength.

Ahhh, I guess that was silly of me. Taking this into account, I don't think I will be using Tycho much. I think a Captain with a power weapon and an inferno pistol or a pair of lightning claws would do the same job but at a lot less points.

Thanks for the clarification on the attack strengths - solid argument.

2: Corbs, Seth and Astorath all strike at their relative weapon strengths- since the weapon listing says: "strikes at strength X" - irrespective of the users strength, and FC increases the user's strength NOT the weapon strength.

So, then a powerfist would strike at STR 10 if it were on a character with furious charge? If it changes their strength characteristic to 5 and the PF doubles that....I was told that it makes the character STR 9, simply adding 1, but that doesn't make sense now that I reread your interpretation. Thoughts?

So, then a powerfist would strike at STR 10 if it were on a character with furious charge? If it changes their strength characteristic to 5 and the PF doubles that....I was told that it makes the character STR 9, simply adding 1, but that doesn't make sense now that I reread your interpretation. Thoughts?

Look up mutliple modifiers in the BRB. You multiple then add, so 4x2=8+1=9.

I don't have the BRB in front of me, but I believe that the Power Fist doubles the user's strength. As such, we take the base of 4, double that once the fist is added (beginning of the game, let's say), leaving us at 8. We Furiously Charge, granting +1 to our strength, which is already at 8, giving us 9. In other words, S*2+1=striking power, instead of S+1*2=striking power.

-edit- got beat to the punch. What Ramses said.

Brother Ramses explains this above my post, but I'll add a little more.

When a weapon says "strikes at strength x" it hits at that strength no matter what. A snotling with a relic blade is strength 6. A bloodthrister with a relic blade is strength 6, because the weapon says so.

Seth is strength 4. FC makes him strength 5, his weapon is always strength 8, so that overrides.

A powerfist is different since it doubles. GW is explicit that you multiply first, so powerfist makes a marine 8, FC makes him 9.

Thanks, though that seems a bit inconsistent. Is there a page where it explains the fist (or other weapons like it) complete the multiplier first? I didn't see it in the PF section.

main rulebook, page 7. Multiple modifiers section.

Over on BoLSLounge one of the posts pointed out a little something they missed for the FAQ. Sanguine Sword has no listed duration so it seems that once it's up it stays up. It simply says that it is activated at the start of either player's assault phase. No mention what so ever of how long it lasts, unlike ever other non-shooting power. :lol:

Yeah, I brought it up in the sticky FAQ a few days ago. It's a weird oversight.

No, theyre entirely seperate rules with nothing at all in common except that they effect psychic powers. This rule doesnt change anything for SM armies.

Thanks, though that seems a bit inconsistent. Is there a page where it explains the fist (or other weapons like it) complete the multiplier first? I didn't see it in the PF section.

main rulebook, page 7. Multiple modifiers section.

Thanks!

I have to say I really approve of this FAQ. I would have liked for my captain to have artificer armour and possibly a glaive encarmine, but thats forgiveable at this time.

The clarification to how furious charge works for us is for the best. I think that having it measured before the charge was too supportive of the tactic of keeping the priest in the transport while everyone else fights. Its not a very fun tactic and is a shameful way for one of our honoured brethren to behave!

It's not really a huge issue. With that tactic you are usually getting them out of the transport at the start of the turn as it is more often than not a Rhino or Razorback. It just means you need to make sure you move the transport to within 6" of the combat, which you'd need to do anyway to get FnP.

Archived