Sons of Orar blog

Ravendove

Fantastic to see these guys finished Ravendove! Inspirational too to see someone else get back into the swing of things so spectacularly well after a little break, hopefully I can do half as well.

Now, I may have missed it, but did you end up buying the Contemptor? Love to see what you can do with one of those bad boys...

Thanks! A Contemptor is in the plans for sure... :)

I have also just enjoyed all 17 pages thus far of this thread. Excellent models on every page, I especially like your librarian. Where did you get the city fight terrain boards from?

Much appreciated. The city terrain tiles were bought from this company: http://www.miniaturescenery.com/CategoryPa...p?CODE=CAT_BGND While the tiles are very well made and nicely detailed, it's a little on the pricey side for what is essentially some squares of wood. The board is roughly 3x4, so I will be getting more tiles cut from a local DIY store to expand it a little.

my only complaint is that theyre hovering ^_^

looking good, i like the use of the sevrin loth bits especially the uniform look given due to you duplicating the chest pieces.

Noted! Will hopefully be getting the basing done this weekend. I'm glad you like that consistent, uniform appearance - I'm a big fan of the style too but many people might find it a little boring. I've ordered in enough Forgeworld pieces to build another five Sternguard in the same configuration, for a full ten-man squad. Just need to get around to it!

Fantasric as always !

When do you gona finish your scenery stuff. I think its one the same level of hobby art as your miniatures.

Maybe its time for a updated group shot agian ^_^

Cheers. I've been umming and ahhing about covering the scenery building in this blog. Initially thought it would be better to keep the two projects separate, but if it's something people want to see I'll be happy to include it. Or start a separate log for the gaming board build, perhaps?

Roughly how big is your army now?

Currently painted:

- Librarian

- 20 Tactical marines

- 2 Rhinos

- 2 Land Speeders

- 2 Predators

- 1 Dreadnought

Painted but not based:

- 5 Scouts

- 5 Sternguard

Painting in progress:

- Rhino

So the army currently sits at around 1200pts. I would like to add a 2nd Dreadnought and expand the Sternguard squad to ten, then we're basically done! You'd think that perhaps after an entire year of keeping this blog I would have a little more to show for it, but I warned you this would be slow progress!

There are no words, emoticons, or funny pictures from the internet to describe how happy I am that this topic has returned.

I vote that you cover the scenery in this topic, I highly doubt that people are going to complain that we're getting even more awesome Ravendove work, right?

Initially thought it would be better to keep the two projects separate, but if it's something people want to see I'll be happy to include it. Or start a separate log for the gaming board build, perhaps?

Naaaa, keep it here. Then you can supply us with extra pictures of it with Sons of Orar on it.

Initially thought it would be better to keep the two projects separate, but if it's something people want to see I'll be happy to include it. Or start a separate log for the gaming board build, perhaps?

Naaaa, keep it here. Then you can supply us with extra pictures of it with Sons of Orar on it.

agreed

Right, well it looks like I'll be covering some scenery building in this blog then. I'll try getting some decent shots of what I've built so far later this evening. After that, perhaps cover a step-by-step of how I scratch build a medium-size building. First however I want to finish some damn miniatures!

Objectives for this week:

- Base Sternguard!

- Finish Rhino/Razorback!

Side Missions for this week:

- Base Scouts?

- Get started on the 2nd Dreadnought?

What do you people reckon? Anything you'd specifically like to see? I'm at a point where I've basically finished the things I set out to build when I started this project, so I'm at a bit of a loose end on where to go next. Suggestions welcome.

I love how good your painting is, man. I was wondering if you use blood red for your red or a different one. I was also wondering where you got you terrain from? Those sea cans and buildings look awesome.

I use a little bit of Blood Red for highlighting, but mainly I use a mixture of the undercoat (Army Painter Pure Red) and basecoat (P3 Khador Red). After the washes, I may use some Blood Red to highlight between Khador -> Blazing Orange. In the first post of this thread I outline how I paint the armour.

As for the terrain, very broad question. I've accumulated so many little bits and pieces over the years I couldn't possibly say where everything came from. I scratch build most of it myself. I'm pretty sure the shipping containers came from Armorcast. All buildings are scratch-built from various pieces of plasticard, moulded sheets, balsa wood, and so on. If you want to know about any specific bits I'll try and help a bit more!

Have you decided on what markings you will paint on the Sternguards' should pads yet?

The veteran symbol presumably. Have not yet decided to go with painted-on iconography or a custom decal sheet yet.

I'm aware there's not enough pictures coming in for a project log, so I'll just briefly show you what I started on last night. I've been considering replacing the Force Axe on my Librarian with something a bit more bespoke, despite at first not wanting to convert such a lovely model as Sevrin Loth.

[Image removed by the Inquisition due to improper usage of sigil. New image pending awaiting re-work.]

(Blame Fishbone. And me. Mostly me.)

I'd suggest that you fill up the Inquisition sigil. I think it would look rather inproper for a Space Marine Scriptor to have it on it's weapon.

You know what, I had this exact conversation with a friend of mine the other day. "I hate when people use Inquisition symbols on regular Space Marines". Then, naturally, I promptly forgot all about it. Feel really stupid now.

I was really looking at the crates and stuff you have. The Armourcast link you post really much covered what I was looking at, thanks. Also apparently I havent read the first post in you topic, see that now has answered all my questions. Keep up the awesome work.

I was really looking at the crates and stuff you have. The Armourcast link you post really much covered what I was looking at, thanks. Also apparently I havent read the first post in you topic, see that now has answered all my questions. Keep up the awesome work.

Ah, I see. I purchase 90% of all my materials and terrain stuff from Antenocitis Workshop. Check them out, they have a ton of useful bits and pieces.

Sternguard Based

Here's a couple of pictures taken with flash (less yellow) of the finished Sternguard, hanging out with the Librarian on a rooftop.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29108822/B&C/2011-10-31%2022.50.53.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29108822/B&C/2011-10-31%2022.51.29.jpg

Librarian's new force weapon, Inquisition symbol filled in using the new magic space-age wonder substance known as Liquid Green Stuff.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29108822/B&C/2011-10-31%2020.01.31.jpg

I've also made a start on Dreadnought number two.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29108822/B&C/2011-10-31%2022.52.02.jpg

That's one fantastic looking Librarian & Sternguard team! ^_^

Do you know what I'd like to see though? The rims of those bases in a different colour, black maybe? That brown is too close to the leatherwork they wear and not far enough from the red either, it just doesn't sit 100% right with me for some reason...

Other than that, brilliant!

Now, the liquid GS - any good? Is it truly a space aged wonder substance?

Do you know what I'd like to see though? The rims of those bases in a different colour, black maybe? That brown is too close to the leatherwork they wear and not far enough from the red either, it just doesn't sit 100% right with me for some reason...

Hmmm. Black rims just make bases look unprofessional, in my opinion. That is of course unless the base itself is a dark colour, grey, or such. With brown bases I'm just not convinced it works. I agree the brown is close to the leather, but there's very little leather in the army as a whole. I also thought the light colour of the sand would offset the red/brown combination and add some contrast.

Bit concerned now when you say it doesn't sit right. Do you find the palette overall too muddled and similar? What about just a darker brown, Scorched Brown for example?

Now, the liquid GS - any good? Is it truly a space aged wonder substance?

I really like it. It has the consistency of very thick, very gloopy paint. So you add a dollop of it on the model and spread it out with a brush, but it doesn't flow like paint. It sticks together and doesn't tend to separate. You can then add water to it and the liquid GS behaves just like regular GS, becoming smoother. It starts drying after five minutes and you can then use a brush to 'paint' water on it, smoothen out lumps, extend the coverage and so on.

After around ten minutes it's dry enough to carve with a hobby knife or file down. Like I said, magic stuff!

Hmmm. Black rims just make bases look unprofessional, in my opinion. That is of course unless the base itself is a dark colour, grey, or such. With brown bases I'm just not convinced it works. I agree the brown is close to the leather, but there's very little leather in the army as a whole. I also thought the light colour of the sand would offset the red/brown combination and add some contrast.

Bit concerned now when you say it doesn't sit right. Do you find the palette overall too muddled and similar? What about just a darker brown, Scorched Brown for example?

Oh I wouldn't be too bothered by my colour perceptions, it's well know (by my wife in particular) that I have no taste in colour at all :)

Maybe it's just the building they're sitting on, but there's something about that brown edge that sets my teeth on edge a little. That said, if you like it then stick with it, I like black rims, I think they help emphasise the figure and obscure the fact that it's a bit of plastic sitting on another bit of plastic, but I can see why they might seem 'unfinished' or 'unprofessional' too. Personal taste.

As I've said before, it's a gorgeous army and (given your comments in my thread, like the red on Arcolin ones) you've got a great eye for colour, much better than mine. Plus, it appears I'm the only one it bothers, so I wouldn't worry too much about it :P

On the (L)GS - glad to hear such positive things, I'll actually have to go to my local GW and see if it's arrived in Oz yet...

Archived