This is the Liber Astartes, PART II

Shinzaren

So at the beginning, we had noble scribes chronicling Chapter histories, and a Council of Liber marines judging their work. So what's the spread of responsibility like in the Liber? Clearly the marines can chronicle histories as well, so do the honored scribes simply speed the work along? Its easy to see the other parts of the Legio as something like garrisons for other Chapters, but the Liber would seem distinctly separated from all that.

You have to understand what the Legio is. For the moment it is easiest to describe us as the Legio - you and I, Frater and Moderator, working with the Admins, Adeptus Domus, Cedos and Lexicanums all together to form a single center of learning and knowledge in the 40k universe. It is of course Imperial in nature, but corruption is everywhere, hence my involvement as a Dark Apostle. Xenos, however, are filthy and hated by all who walk the halls owned and maintained by the Legio, though of course some seek to study them they know that to do so here will result in their studies being burnt and the ever vigilant eyes of the staff will be forever watching them.

----------------

A flashing icon appeared on Thirst's HUD, the Colchisian rune for unknown. Blink clicking it, a few lines of text popped up, telling him that whatever the disturbance was it was happening in the hangar. Putting his instructional pad down, the Word Bearer took up instead his meltagun, Hera, hoping her use would not be necessary.

"Angelos!' He called. 'Angelos Ferrus!"

A great blur came flying down from somewhere in the vaulted ceilings of Thirst's chambers to land with a great crash in front of him. Sprawled on the ground was a suit of Mk. 4 armor, still unfortunately lacking a jump pack.

"You called... father?" The voice that emitted from the ceramite helmet sounded like it was in pain.

The Moderator knew better. "Come on, you soulless monster. I'm not awarding you anything until you can manage to land with both boots right side up. Still, though, you are getting better."

Groaning, the animated suit slowly stood up. Noticing its creator was hefting Hera, it reached for its own weapons with slight trepidation. "Where are we going?" it asked, all complaint gone from its voice.

"To the hangar. There is some business that needs attending to."

------

A few moments later the pair reached their destination, to find a marine in patchwork armor and a deep purple cloak yelling at the various handlers who were trying to calm him down. Though the face seemed older, it was still immediately apparent who the 'intruder' was.

"Reyner, my brother!' The Dark Apostle called out to the marine, for who else could it be? 'Welcome back!'

Shooing away the other Frater, Thirst clapped his hand on his old friend's shoulder, causing him to flinch. Then Reyner shook his head and forced a smile.

Concerned, the Moderator spoke again. 'Reyner, my fellow Liberite, what has happened to you? You have only been absent for a few months and yet you seem to have aged a mortal lifetime."

The returning marine nodded slowly. "I probably have. I don't know how long I have been, though I know much of that time was spent fighting warriors of Chaos. We have claimed victory, however, but the sight of you, another follower of Chaos... It was merely a bad reaction, Moderator."

"Don't be too concerned about it. I'll get you some new armor, painted in your chapter's colors. You might want to give your current scraps to the Marines Malevolent, they seem to like that sort of thing. I offered them some fresh armor once, but then they tried to kill me for being a heretic. Their geneseed was delicious..." The Dark Apostle chuckled as he finished.

"Have you ever tried Iron Warrior geneseed?' Reyner replied. 'It tastes like blood - very metallic."

"Still better than Iron Hands. I happened to come across the one astarte who had managed to replace his entire set of geneseed with metals of all sorts, right when I was looking for a good meal... but since when have you had an appetite for geneseed?"

Reyner shrugged his patchwork shoulder plates. "I was so angry after this one battle, and I had just ripped out the throat of my foe, I thought I might as well destroy any chance of a heritage he has."

"So you ate it instead of burning it?"

"I had just torn open his throat, how mad do you have to be?"

"And you developed a taste for it."

"The second time was actually pretty decent, I had it with some flavor beans and a nice wine."

Angelos decided to interject here. "Sounds delicious, master. Too bad I'll never be able to taste it with the rate at which you update me."

Thirst sighed and gestured to his creation. "Reyner, this is one of my Indices given form, or as it calls itself, Angelos Ferrus. Angelos, this is Reyner, an old Liberite much like myself."

"This is the worst idea you've ever had. Imagine what would happen if we had a breathing representation of the Red Lords, Dark Apostle. He would try to blow up the entire Legio because we were all willing to consort with you." Reyner looked at the two disapprovingly.

"My ideas tend to work out,' the Word Bearer defensively began. 'The Incineratus setting turned out to be useful."

Suddenly the other's face darkened for a moment. Quickly as it came it was gone, however, and Reyner's tone was still bemused. "Speaking of which, do you still have the flamer around? I would like to see it."

"Of course, brother, I'll take you to it now..."

Nice DAT ^_^

I re-read the whole topic both for fun and to find out who it was that started the whole "Typo Daemon" War, only to find out it was me! :o

I really should think things through more in the future ;)

As Ace continued to tell his tale of adversity to his fellow Liberites, Heru slowly turned his head and then held up his hand for silence. An unmistakeable sound reached their ears, causing an involuntary shudder to run down Ace's spine. Looking at Heru out of the corner of his eye, he silently mouthed "Oh by the Emperor's mercy, please say it isn't so...." The sound became clearer, the approaching roar of battle cycles actually being ridden down the halls of the Liber. Ace squeezed his eyes shut, picturing five months of troubles just ended. As the bikes closed in, he refused to turn around. Heru just smiled and simply asked "Where's my favorite pup?"

A familiar and grouchy voice replied "Jonas didn't come this time, we just stopped in on a training run with some new Blood Claws."

I'm also glad to see this getting new posts.

An Ace to answer your post above, someone could just write the final battle in the Typo hive. Somewhere in the depths the brave Liberites arm themselves to the teeth. Brandishing the best weapons avaliable, and venturing forth to finally unleash the emperors final judgement... Exterminatus. And since the Horus Heresy collection is recently been added to our wonderful hobby, maybe we should make it "legion-style". And write in that the other forums march into the depths too. just a thought.

But that's still the war against typos.

I'm trying to work out ahead of time what should happen after that. ;)

And I'm just gonna say, while I have no problem with the song in question, anyone who writes a story containing the words 'oppa Legion style' will get a chainaxe in the face.

The same goes for 'oppa Liber style', before anyone says anything. :P

So at the beginning, we had noble scribes chronicling Chapter histories, and a Council of Liber marines judging their work. So what's the spread of responsibility like in the Liber? Clearly the marines can chronicle histories as well, so do the honored scribes simply speed the work along? Its easy to see the other parts of the Legio as something like garrisons for other Chapters, but the Liber would seem distinctly separated from all that.

The Liber is a complicated place, wherein is contained not only all things that are, but many things that might be.

Logically, this includes all the different ways the Liber could exist and all the ways it could work.

And we're still amongst the most normal of the forums. Scary.

"This is the worst idea you've ever had. Imagine what would happen if we had a breathing representation of the Red Lords, Dark Apostle. He would try to blow up the entire Legio because we were all willing to consort with you." Reyner looked at the two disapprovingly.

I was this close to being a Red Lord, is the irony here.

Instead I thought it better not to favour only one of my chapters and instead just go with my favourite colours. :lol:

I re-read the whole topic both for fun and to find out who it was that started the whole "Typo Daemon" War, only to find out it was me! ^_^

I really should think things through more in the future :lol:

I suppose it'd be most appropriate for you to write the ending for it, then! ^_^

Which is fine by me, because I have no idea how to end it satisfyingly.

A big battle seems too cliche, and I have to admit I have zero enthusiasm for writing them anyhow. ;)

As Ace continued to tell his tale of adversity to his fellow Liberites, Heru slowly turned his head and then held up his hand for silence. An unmistakeable sound reached their ears, causing an involuntary shudder to run down Ace's spine. Looking at Heru out of the corner of his eye, he silently mouthed "Oh by the Emperor's mercy, please say it isn't so...." The sound became clearer, the approaching roar of battle cycles actually being ridden down the halls of the Liber. Ace squeezed his eyes shut, picturing five months of troubles just ended. As the bikes closed in, he refused to turn around. Heru just smiled and simply asked "Where's my favorite pup?"

A familiar and grouchy voice replied "Jonas didn't come this time, we just stopped in on a training run with some new Blood Claws."

I'm going to find out who stole the bike I got locked up for and dress him up like a Thousand Son, then push him into the tavern at the Fang. Then I'm going to sit back and watch the rest of you get revenge for me. :lol:

EDIT:

While reading Reyner's story, my computer's graphics card collapsed FOREVER. Pretty intense stuff!

EDIT: Any way I could contribute to the story? If so, how?

Just start something going, and take a few Liberites with you. Or, you can add yourself to a current storyline party such as whatever Ace is doing or Reyner and I musing over the miniature Death Star his flamer :D

Come with us, there are cookies on the dark side.

@Ludovic: Help me build a fort in the corner. I have a sudden urge to build one.

Brother Ludovic stalked the corridors of the Liber, boltgun armed and pointed at the thick darkness in front of him. Despite the fact that the autosenses of his power armour were fully operational, he could only 'see' what lie in front of him for the first twenty paces or so, which worried him greatly. The recent outbreak of Typos, while contained and sporadic, was still a potential threat and so the Astartes was still on his guard. After turning yet another corner, he came across a strange sight: Brother Reyner, up to his elbows in cement, piling bricks onto a low wall. The sight left him quite bemused. He mag-locked his boltgun to his thigh, removed his helmet and advanced towards the other Space Marine, a quizzical look on his face.

"Brother Reyner, what makes you put your knee to the ground and sully your hands in such fashion? Have all of the Liber serfs been killed during the Typo attacks?"

Reyner looked up briefly, a scowl on his face, and then returned his attention to his work. Unsure what to do next, Ludovic stood still and observed.

That's all for now but I'll be back with more! :)

Ludovic

EDIT: Blasted typos.

I re-read the whole topic both for fun and to find out who it was that started the whole "Typo Daemon" War, only to find out it was me! :(

I really should think things through more in the future :lol:

I suppose it'd be most appropriate for you to write the ending for it, then! ^_^

Which is fine by me, because I have no idea how to end it satisfyingly.

A big battle seems too cliche, and I have to admit I have zero enthusiasm for writing them anyhow. ^_^

I'll have a think about it then. I think an "epic" battle will be a little cheesy too, so I'll try to think of something more satisfying (and more apt ;) )

Not sure when I'll have something though.

@Ludovic: Help me build a fort in the corner. I have a sudden urge to build one.

After turning yet another corner, he came across a strange sight: Brother Reyner, up to his elbows in cement, piling bricks onto a low wall. The sight left him quite bemused.

Hahahaa, that made me want to manifest in the Liber halls XD. I'll keep my distance for now though. Typo wars and forts in corners, and we're one of the saner sub-forums. :tu:

Brother Ludovic stalked the corridors of the Liber, boltgun armed and pointed at the thick darkness in front of him. Despite the fact that the autosenses of his power armour were fully operational, he could only 'see' what lie in front of him for the first twenty paces or so, which worried him greatly. The recent outbreak of Typos, while contained and sporadic, was still a potential threat and so the Astartes was still on his guard. After turning yet another corner, he came across a strange sight: Brother Reyner, up to his elbows in cement, piling bricks onto a low wall. The sight left him quite bemused. He mag-locked his boltgun to his thigh, removed his helmet and advanced towards the other Space Marine, a quizzical look on his face.

"Brother Reyner, what makes you put your knee to the ground and sully your hands in such fashion? Have all of the Liber serfs been killed during the Typo attacks?"

Reyner looked up briefly, a scowl on his face, and then returned his attention to his work. Unsure what to do next, Ludovic stood still and observed.

"We need more fortifications in here." Reyner said, frustratedly. "It's too much like any old library, and not enough like a fortress."

Ludovic blinked in surprise.

"In the middle of a corridor?"

"Genius, I know. Any attackers coming around the corner will be faced with an impenetrable fortress of hardened stone!" Reyner said, gesturing grandly at the wall he was constructing. Ludovic scratched his head, bemused.

"But it's only up to your knees. Someone'll just step over it." Ludovic pointed out. Reyner scowled again.

"...It's still a WIP." he said, darkly. "It's going to look like the palace on Terra when it's done."

"That took a very long time to build, I'm told." Ludovic reflected. "And it wasn't, you know, in the middle of a corridor." Reyner waved the objections aside with a careless flick of his hand.

"It's alright, I've voxed a few of the others to come and help. Speaking of which, are you any good at building bunkers?"

"We need more fortifications in here." Reyner said, frustratedly. "It's too much like any old library, and not enough like a fortress."

Ludovic blinked in surprise.

"In the middle of a corridor?"

"Genius, I know. Any attackers coming around the corner will be faced with an impenetrable fortress of hardened stone!" Reyner said, gesturing grandly at the wall he was constructing. Ludovic scratched his head, bemused.

"But it's only up to your knees. Someone'll just step over it." Ludovic pointed out. Reyner scowled again.

"...It's still a WIP." he said, darkly. "It's going to look like the palace on Terra when it's done."

"That took a very long time to build, I'm told." Ludovic reflected. "And it wasn't, you know, in the middle of a corridor." Reyner waved the objections aside with a careless flick of his hand.

"It's alright, I've voxed a few of the others to come and help. Speaking of which, are you any good at building bunkers?"

Nice little addition, Ace :D I'll get something up soon enough ;)

Ludovic

Ferrata sighed and leaned forward, resting his forehead on the palms of his hands.

"He's only been back five minutes. How can one techmarine make so much trouble?"

"Actually, Moderati, he's only an apprenti-" Grey Hunter Ydalir started, apologetically.

"You know what I mean," Ferrata snapped. "He attacked a bunch of Space Wolves here to help collate our galaxy map for the area around Fenris. He attacked them with a chair, for Emperor's sake."

"Well, they did sort of get him imprisoned for-"

"Do you know what happens when you hit a Space Wolf with a chair, Ydalir?" Ferrata interrupted, wearily.

"Yes, Moderati. They laugh at you for using a sissy weapon, then hit you with a table, Moderati."

"Exactly. We're going to need more carpenter-serfs, the way the furniture in here is being trashed. First there's that whole storeroom goes missing and comes back as a typo nest on a different floor, then our prized copy of the Magnus Libro Effercio* gets set fire to despite the forcefield in that whole stupid west tower incident, then there's all the half-dissolved bookcases down in Hall Eight, where most of the typos have gone to ground. We just don't need Ace picking fights with the greatest threat to the furnishings the Liber has ever known." Ferrata looked at the data-slate again. "You'd have thought even Ace could go and get something to eat without messing it up."

"Well, he wasn't to know the Space Wolves were going to be in the canteen, Moderati." GHY shrugged. Ferrata continued to stare at the data-slate.

"It says here that Ace emptied a bowl of gruel over a marine called Forte and dropkicked one called Arez over the table. We don't even have gruel here, do we?"

"The cooks did it special for Ace, Moderati. Seems he developed a taste for gruel and stale bread whilst imprisoned." GHY shrugged, wondering not for the first time why he'd been volunteered to tell the Mods what was going on. Ferrata looked pensive.

"Hmm. It also says here that both Forte and Arez picked Ace up and ran him head-first into a wall, then... I can't be reading this right."

"Moderati?"

"It says they made Ace kick himself in the ear?"

"Bionic leg, Moderati. I guess they pulled it off him?" GHY supressed a grin.

"Hmph. So where is Ace now?"

"The apothecarion, Moderati. A bunch of the older Wolves took the opportunity to show Forte and Arez how to really throw someone at a wall, and Ace is due to wake up again next week, the Apothecary says." Ydalir winced at the recollection of watching Warhorse throwing Ace head-first at a thick stone pillar. "I think he might be down a little longer than that."

"Thank the Emperor for small mercies. Right then. Go and make sure the Wolves don't get lost or anything. We don't want a repeat of that time they stumbled into the Heresy Department. Let's see if we can't have a week or so where everything goes according to plan."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Thought I'd write about what happened when I tried to get revenge for the stolen bike stunt without doing my homework first. ;)

Also, setting the scene - the typo war is still ongoing, but we're winning. Sort of. A little bit.

Well, we've got the typos penned into Hall Eight, so that's something. Right? :lol:

*The big book of stuff, according to google translate. Contains a bazillion useless facts and - at least according to rumour - seventeen useful ones.

Chapter Master Demon7 walked aimlessly around the Liber, knowing the typo war was still raging. But he knew that eventually it would end and he would return back to Epsonri to sit behind a desk and listen to endless rambles from a scribe who had come to chronicle his chapter, the Blood Guardians, and all the deeds and history behind them. He grew bored of the endless questions that sometimes repeated themselves.

"Why in the Emperors holy name were the scribe order formed?" spoke Demonus to himself.

"Because they wouldn't want to forget about the Night Angels duh brother." spoke a familiar voice from behind him.

Demonus chuckled and turned to see a marine clad in midnight blue power armor with a goblet of wine in his left hand.

"No. They do not want to forget the Blood Guardians. They have enough information on the Night Angels Zynk Kaladin."

Zynk Kaladain chuckled as he was flanked by two of his honor guards, the two that normally followed him everywhere he went. "Maybe so, but the Night Angels have a better taste in wine than your wolf whiz drinking marines."

Demonus leaned his power sword against the wall and pulled a metal flask from a pocket on his belt and took a sip from it. "You might have a better taste in wine, but we know how to brew a good Bloodarian ale."

Zynk Kaladin bowed his head to Demonus before sipping from his goblet. "Well, it was good to see you but I must return to the war on typos. You should do the same." Zynk Kaladin then turned and walked off.

Demonus shook his head, took up his sword and kept walking, seeing a squad of marines jog past him, lead by Deathknight2000 who yelled, "Son from the ninth, I march to the eighth!"

In curiosity, Demonus followed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Figured I would post this in seeing this was still alive.

Which way to Hall 8?

"Oh, it's down past the big spiral staircase, next to the broom cupboard. Just follow the corridor until you reach the door with the bronze chain and the hooded man with the mace emblazoned upon it. Once you go through there, it's the second left. Easy." Ace frowned. "Why'd you ask, Warhorse?"

"Oh... no reason." Warhorse said, unconvincingly.

"Huh. That reminds me, we never did have that chainaxe throwing contest." Ace mused.

"Yeah, well, maybe once you're not encased in plaster casts." Warhorse said with a smirk.

"Crazy apothecaries and their crazy remedies, huh?" Ace laughed. "I'm just glad they didn't use so many leeches this time."

"...This time?" Warhorse raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

"I told you they were crazy," Ace replied.

EDIT:

Another typo. Bothersome things!

EDIT EDIT:

Also, nice catch DK2K.

Which way to Hall 8?

"Oh, it's down past the big spiral staircase, next to the broom cupboard. Just follow the corridor until you rerach the door with the bronze chain and the hooded man with the

EDIT:

I thought I'd let you do the honor brother of smiting this one...

Which way to Hall 8?

"Oh, it's down past the big spiral staircase, next to the broom cupboard. Just follow the corridor until you rerach the door with the bronze chain and the hooded man with the

EDIT:

I thought I'd let you do the honor brother of smiting this one...

*Throws Codex-Approved Throwing Chainaxe*

I've still got the skills, even when wrapped up in plaster casts. :D

EDIT:

Also, well spotted!

Should come here more often but getting that gruel out of my hair took ages. Doesn't help having Arez constantly offering to use his chainsword to trim my hair. Had to knock him out for a bit. Always puts up a fight though. Still, at least you didn't spill any ale Ace. Would've been much worse for you.

Should come here more often but getting that gruel out of my hair took ages. Doesn't help having Arez constantly offering to use his chainsword to trim my hair. Had to knock him out for a bit. Always puts up a fight though. Still, at least you didn't spill any ale Ace. Would've been much worse for you.

I knew I smelled wet dog somewhere. :ermm: Nice to see ya again Forte its been a long time. last time I remember was that bar somewhere I ended up at. I need to crash more puppy welcome parties :blink: .

Archived